Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Solid APK for Mini - When? (Stop Missing the Android Mark!)
2294 34 2020-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UAVTom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok.  So, I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted to share my frustration with DJI regarding Android.   Why release a product when globally over 70% (https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide) of your potential customers use Android devices.  Who is your project release Vice President?   He/she must be a former Apple employee.  So you release a new drone and then discover that it works on less than 5% of the Android devices out there.   A similar flop was done on the release of the original Mavic (though not as bad).   I do realize that there is more diversity in the Android market, but as an app developer myself, it's not very difficult to target 90%+ of the devices on the market today.   One would think with all the billions of dollars DJI has made with their drone products, they'd have a steller app development team.   

So, now that I've briefly expressed my displeasure with DJI, can anyone share when a solid APK will be made available for the Mini, at least for the major phone providers such as Samsung, LG, Motorola with Android OS 7.0 or higher?

For future development, you'll surely not lose any future revenue by ensuring all new products work solidly for both mobile OSs.  Please get off Apple's tip and develope solid solutions for both platforms.  Remember technology works best when it's usable, flexible, scalable and affordable.  If you remember these four rules, you'll please over 90% of your customer base.
2020-1-16
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Most people are reporting success with DJI Fly version 1.0.6
2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 1-16 17:46
Most people are reporting success with DJI Fly version 1.0.6

Agreed!  If you're referring to Apple users, hence my post.  V1.0.6 did not work for any of my Samsung phones.  In fact,  I personally have 4 Samsung, 2 LG, 2 Motorola phones, and 2  Samsung Tablets with Android OSs that range from 5.1 to 10.0.  Only 1 can see the app from the Googleplay store and the rest can download from DJI's site, but fail during the install process.  The below video is one example of what I am referring to.  

2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Current rating on Googleplay from over 3000 ratings.  

2020-1-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Nice rant, but you are not going to get anywhere poking poo at DJI.
2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-16 18:16
Nice rant, but you are not going to get anywhere poking poo at DJI.

No rant here and not to be misleading, I really love DJI products as a whole.  I actually own or have owned virtually every drone they have produced.  So, not indented to throw poo at them, just telling it like it is.   If enough people express their displeasure, DJI will respond.  Perhaps not now, but eventually.   Failure to listen to a huge customer segment will eventually impact a company's bottom line and will open areas for unforeseen competition (which I think is needed to keep them honest).

2020-1-16
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

UAVTom Posted at 1-16 18:11
Agreed!  If you're referring to Apple users, hence my post.  V1.0.6 did not work for any of my Samsung phones.  In fact,  I personally have 4 Samsung, 2 LG, 2 Motorola phones, and 2  Samsung Tablets with Android OSs that range from 5.1 to 10.0.  Only 1 can see the app from the Googleplay store and the rest can download from DJI's site, but fail during the install process.  The below video is one example of what I am referring to.  

So do all of these failures happen with the android version 1.0.6 ?

I guess you realise DJI fly is a 64 bit app so it won't work or even show up in the playstore or install from a apk on a 32bit device.
It also requires Android 6.0 as a minimum

DJI made the mistake of not porting the Mini to the DJI Go4 which supports 64bit architecture, but I guess they needed to develop a 64bit app to comply with Googles future requirements for the playstore as well.

2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 1-16 18:46
So all of these failures happen with the android version 1.0.6 ?

I guess you realise DJI fly is a 64 bit app so it won't work or even show up in the playstore or install from a apk on a 32bit device.

Yep!   But the weird thing, even a 64bit device get a failure (for which I have 6).  Get the below on all my Samsungs when attempting to install.   .  Perhaps a version 1.0.7 will be released soon with some fixes.
2020-1-16
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

UAVTom Posted at 1-16 18:53
Yep!   But the weird thing, even a 64bit device get a failure (for which I have 6).  Get the below on all my Samsungs when attempting to install.   [view_image].  Perhaps a version 1.0.7 will be released soon with some fixes.

I assume you have enabled the installation of third party apps when you have tried to install the .apk directly ?

http://www.inbox.com/article/how ... pps-on-android.html

2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 1-16 19:01
I assume you have enabled the installation of third party apps when you have tried to install the .apk directly ?

http://www.inbox.com/article/how-do-enable-third-party-apps-on-android.html

3rd party was enabled.  What Android device do you own?  I am teaching a class to a group of students and part of the class 20 minis are being issued w/ Samsung S10 phones.  So you can imagine my frustration to know that within a few days these students will be unable to use these drones unless I scramble to order Apple devices.
2020-1-16
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

UAVTom Posted at 1-16 19:11
3rd party was enabled.  What Android device do you own?

S8 and S8+ , but I use a Ipad Mini 4 with DJI Fly for the larger screen
2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 1-16 19:12
S8 and S8+ , but I use a Ipad Mini 4 with DJI Fly for the larger screen

Ahh.   I have 2 S8s no luck for me.  
2020-1-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

And even more frustrating is the inability to trust the approved list of Android phones. The LG G6 one I bought, which was on the list, did not work.... get this, because it had the latest Android version available for this 3 year old 64-bit phone!
2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-16 19:19
And even more frustrating is the inability to trust the approved list of Android phones. The LG G6 one I bought, which was on the list, did not work.... get this, because it had the latest Android version available for this 3 year old 64-bit phone!

Agreed.  I have to LG 6s, no luck there either.   You would think, they'd get it right (at least for the majority of their stated supported platforms) given the volume of Android devices and users.
2020-1-16
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Android stats are misleading (I own Android, and at my work I am the designated Android expert, so not an iOS fanboy).  The issue is that Android is segmented into hundreds of versions, and the system is far more open.  iOS is tightly controlled, and if a company develops for iOS, they have pretty good assurance their product will work across the various available platforms.  This is unfortunately not true for Android's open architecture.  You can't guarantee your app will work for a version unless you test on that version.  This is the challenge for deploying to the Android market.
2020-1-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Charles Adams Posted at 1-16 19:29
The Android stats are misleading (I own Android, and at my work I am the designated Android expert, so not an iOS fanboy).  The issue is that Android is segmented into hundreds of versions, and the system is far more open.  iOS is tightly controlled, and if a company develops for iOS, they have pretty good assurance their product will work across the various available platforms.  This is unfortunately not true for Android's open architecture.  You can't guarantee your app will work for a version unless you test on that version.  This is the challenge for deploying to the Android market.

^^^ This. Spot on, therein lies the problem, DJI can only produce a single version that must suit every Android phone out there, and far too many of them do not strictly adhere to the Android rules. They cannot produce a version that suits Samsung for example, and Samsung are one of the worst offenders in deviating from the rules.
2020-1-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-16 19:46
^^^ This. Spot on, therein lies the problem, DJI can only produce a single version that must suit every Android phone out there, and far too many of them do not strictly adhere to the Android rules. They cannot produce a version that suits Samsung for example, and Samsung are one of the worst offenders in deviating from the rules.

Your example is not particularly well chosen. I am using a Samsung S6 and it works perfectly as does the S7, S8, and S9 according to most users. However, the S10 does have some issues with the latest OS version.
2020-1-16
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

UAVTom Posted at 1-16 19:16

Here is my S8 working, you can see that it has all the latest versions of AC firmware and the DJI Fly app

The S8's will only upgrade to Android Pie (9.0), have you done that my S8's are on 9.0 ?

2020-1-16
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-16 19:29

Agreed.  As a developer myself of the Android and IOs apps you are correct.  That said, one can develop stable apps for a segment of devices and ensure the app work for that segment.  The frustration I have with DJI is they are inconsistent with the devices they say should work.  They had a similar problem with the initial release of DJI GO 4 app.  You can recall many users opted to use 3rd party apps like Litchi at the beginning because it was more stable.   It took almost a year after the release of DJI GO 4 before it started to show some real stability with many Android devices.   One would think DJI would have these types of snafus worked out by now.  
2020-1-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-16 20:06
Your example is not particularly well chosen. I am using a Samsung S6 and it works perfectly as does the S7, S8, and S9 according to most users. However, the S10 does have some issues with the latest OS version.

What does that have to do with what I said. I will repeat, Samsung are poor in adhering to the Android framework, every time a new Samsung phone comes out, it does not work with the DJI app, while many others have no problem. The fact that all the other models, S6,7,8 and 9 work, but 10 does not supports what I said.
2020-1-16
Use props
JM.REYES
First Officer
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Hi everyone. In my humble opinion, DJI has screwed up, made a big mistake. Mainly because he had to have left DJI GO 4 for the Mini, but he wanted to take out the new application in order to make the difference of the mini with the rest of the range. It does not make sense that it is incompatible with so many android phones, it also does not make sense and also, it is a GREAT LACK FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS, being all the time recommending a phone from the list that they dial, in addition to spending money on the drone, too You have to invest in a new phone, that's playing with traps. There would be and it is easier to debug the software well and make it compatible for all, I suppose DJI will have the good faith of being working to get it.
2020-1-17
Use props
ERC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 608629 ft
United Kingdom

The app has worked on my S7 so far.  However, last time I installed 1.0.4 by downloading the apk from the DJI site and when I did the same with 1.0.6, I got the "App not installed" message when trying to update, so then had to remove the app and get it from the Play store.
2020-1-17
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

JM.REYES Posted at 1-17 00:35
Hi everyone. In my humble opinion, DJI has screwed up, made a big mistake. Mainly because he had to have left DJI GO 4 for the Mini, but he wanted to take out the new application in order to make the difference of the mini with the rest of the range. It does not make sense that it is incompatible with so many android phones, it also does not make sense and also, it is a GREAT LACK FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS, being all the time recommending a phone from the list that they dial, in addition to spending money on the drone, too You have to invest in a new phone, that's playing with traps. There would be and it is easier to debug the software well and make it compatible for all, I suppose DJI will have the good faith of being working to get it.

Agree with you amigo, there was no need for DJI FLY, just DJI GO 4 maybe with a "beginners" mode or something with less features, but since the Mini is a streamed down version of other drones it should have worked with older App, I mean the whole thing about "google wont support 32 bit apps" sounds lame...
2020-1-17
Use props
MBender
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

UAVTom Posted at 1-16 19:16

Wait... I have an S8 and I have no issues with the app at all... is it random? I read there are problems with Android 10, which I don't have on my phone (supposedly the S8 might be getting an upgrade to Android 10, but as far as I know that's basically a rumor).
2020-1-17
Use props
lannes
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

MBender Posted at 1-17 03:09
Wait... I have an S8 and I have no issues with the app at all... is it random? I read there are problems with Android 10, which I don't have on my phone (supposedly the S8 might be getting an upgrade to Android 10, but as far as I know that's basically a rumor).

Strange that the op's S8's don't work , I like you don't have a problem with the S8 or the S8+
2020-1-17
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

MBender Posted at 1-17 03:09
Wait... I have an S8 and I have no issues with the app at all... is it random? I read there are problems with Android 10, which I don't have on my phone (supposedly the S8 might be getting an upgrade to Android 10, but as far as I know that's basically a rumor).

It is probably carrier-dependent.  Each carrier has their own customized firmware & app package, along with control of pushing out updates for their subscribers.   
2020-1-17
Use props
UAVTom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-17 03:55
It is probably carrier-dependent.  Each carrier has their own customized firmware & app package, along with control of pushing out updates for their subscribers.

Good point!  For my case, most of the phones I am referring to are unlocked and I have no carrier assigned to them.  That said, the S8 I do have does have a carrier and still no luck.  But your theory is definitely plausible.
2020-1-17
Use props
StubbornSwiss
First Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Unfortunately, the limited support of DJI products on Android OS is not limited to their drones.

I also own an Osmo 3, and a number of features available for IOS devices are just not available on Android devices.

Frustrating!
2020-1-17
Use props
MikeCH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Switzerland

"App not installed" appeared on my S7 due to lack of free memory space.
2020-1-17
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Fr those trashing the Androids for having to many iterations, keep in mind that Apple is the ONLY user of iOS. So that is just one company and doesn't compare with the multitude of companies using Android. If there were a lot of companies using iOS that would be different.
2020-1-17
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

I wouldn't own an Apple product if it was given to me. In fact, my better half was given a new iphone 8 (new phone old stock) and we literally activated her new sim card with the iphone and pulled the sim and put it in her Galaxy S7 and gave the iphone back. We literally won't have one laying around even. Ill drop DJI before I pick up Apple. That is a promise.

All that aside Googles playstore never tells me of app updates. I have to do the DJI updates by downloading the APK.
2020-1-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 1-17 10:02
Fr those trashing the Androids for having to many iterations, keep in mind that Apple is the ONLY user of iOS. So that is just one company and doesn't compare with the multitude of companies using Android. If there were a lot of companies using iOS that would be different.

Precisely, and that is why I bought an iPad Air for my P3P many years ago. I don't like Apple, but at least it worked.
2020-1-17
Use props
killertek78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168369 ft
Canada

Works flawlessly on my LGG6 with Android 9.
2020-1-17
Use props
djiuser_ARBAkRILdAAV
New

United States

I'm playing a similar game among us mod apk by techbigs, and I'm really happy about it!
2020-10-18
Use props
thE29
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

As an Android dev myself, NEVER buy crap from Samsung. Samsung has the most crashes in my firebase-console..
Also what is even the issue with your phone? You cannot install the newest version or whats the problem? Because I didnt see any reason mentioned..
2020-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules