Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Almost lost my Mavic Air.
1017 13 2020-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ulysses
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

I always perform all pre flight checks, always fly within security guidelines, only use accessories that came with my Fly More combo, Always fly with fully charged batteries, always land above 10% (usually, over 15 and over 20 percent battery) and always do procedures as advised. Have my drone registered with National Organizations and stuff. Last year I even flew my drone inside an Air Force base righ beside Air Force officials doing some shots for a video I did for them. They even gave me a lot of compliments for my professionalism and safety procedures.
I have 3 batteries that came with my MA. None of them reached 80 recharge cycles altough they are out of warranty. I sticker-labeled them as 1, 2 and 3 so I could keep track of how I was using them and distribute among charge cycles. Few months ago, I had a problem with battery "1". It was working as always, performing like the other two batteries. Something like a week after a flawless flight with it, it simply came down from 60% to ZERO midflight. Took me sometime to acknowledge what happened. It didnt show any signs of decresing performance nor swell. It simply became a fail with no warning. Bottom line, I accepted my fate and thought it was bad luck that struck me. I had one bad battery out of warranty and that was it. I even posted a thread here to confirm it was something wrong that I done or not.

This week, I got three buildings scheduled to shoot. Battery 1 was ruled out of course. I flew with Battery 2 and 3 flawlessly on tuesday shooting the first two buildings. Next day, wednesday, all three recharged (using battery 1 only to lock satelites and calibrate compass before flygin to save some juice), got to shoot the last building scheduled. All good, had two betteries when I needed only one to complete the job. Took of with Battery 2, lost signal a few seconds after take of, drone flew strange for a few seconds and I thought it could be the antennas from the top of the nearby buildings. Got some shots and right when it was about 60% it dropped to zero. Critically and low battery warning, drone started to land automatically. I was very, very lucky to be able to land it over a car and nobody touched it untill I got there to retrieve it minutes later. The building I was shooting is in front of a river and its downtown and not a safe place. Again, I was very, very lucky to land it safely and retrive it. When I got the drone, it was still turned on, minutes after landing and it landed very slowly for a 0% battery. Come on, seriously? 2 batteries in a row? Didnt show any signs of dying and all of a sudden start to fail?? Cant be coincidence.

Anyways, untill last week, I always advocated in favor of DJI, always thought drones were extremely safe and the only safety problem could come from a bad operator. Now I think completely the opposite. I do not feel safe anymore flying my drone. I'm not inclined to buy new batteries nor another drone model. Drones are not safe as I used to think. I still got to finish this gig for a client and I dont know yet how Im gonna do it because Im dont have any confidence anymore that my drone wont drop of sky all of a sudden right on someones head or car or whatever.

Sorry for the long post. I never do this but I had to pull it out somehow. Im very, very disappointed. How are your batteries living?

2020-1-17
Use props
JonnyHammer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748802 ft
Brazil

Hey, I'm having the same problem of "Critically Low Voltage Warning", luckily for me it happened when I was about to land, very close to the drone, 2 times, one of them was today.

Using the flight record analyzer I discovered that one of my batteries has a bad cell that varies up to 1300 mV. The other 2 varies 50 mV, so that's the issue.

Try to analyze your flight records and check voltage of your batteries. Download here -  https://forum.dji.com/thread-203659-1-1.html
2020-1-17
Use props
Vofas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

All this is alarming. Sorry. My 3 batteries have been working fine for 2 years, but now doubts and concerns crept into my head.
2020-1-20
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

I mean, we're flying time bombs! My 2 batteries have no swollen signs, nor showed any decrease in performance. I absolutely didnt have any way to know they were defective. This last one, failed literally a day after a perfect flight. Its absurd this can happen. How can I even think about buying new batteries now? So they can fail me right when Im not expecting and next time I can loose my drone and even worse, it may fall over someone of someones property and make my prejudice a lot higher?

Man, I was so in love with DJI even after the first one failed... things just turned 180 now. And I've been reading a lot of similar users complaints past couple of days. Its just unacceptable DJI has done absolutely nothing to remedy this. Looks like a recall case. I still cant believe things went down this way...
2020-1-20
Use props
JonnyHammer
lvl.4
Brazil

I still can't figure out why DJI put a "warning" only when the drone is at the point of making an emergency landing, and no previous warnings before the critical stage.

The battery is the fuel of the drone, so this is like an airplane with no indicators of fuel flow, only a warning message when it has almost no flow.... come on, this makes no sense at all.

We are tend to watch the battery percentage very closely, but this cell deviation is a very common problem that most drone operators are not aware of, until 2 weeks ago I didn't even know that this exists...

My defective battery was always stored with 60%, protected from heat and humidity, it's not swollen etc. It has a normal looking, but inside has a cell deviation of 1300 mV! With 30 cicles and less than 2 years of use, I'm very disappointed with this.
2020-1-22
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

JonnyHammer Posted at 1-22 03:18
I still can't figure out why DJI put a "warning" only when the drone is at the point of making an emergency landing, and no previous warnings before the critical stage.

The battery is the fuel of the drone, so this is like an airplane with no indicators of fuel flow, only a warning message when it has almost no flow.... come on, this makes no sense at all.

Me too. Always took good care of my batteries and drone. Never had a single problem. Im over 200 flights with the Air alone. I think its a recall case and DJI refuse to even acknowledge that trying to avoid the costs involved. Their Reps dont even reply to these topics. Pasta days I've read a lot of similar topics. Looks like now when its about 1 and a half year later, all Air batteries are starting to fail
2020-1-22
Use props
JonnyHammer
lvl.4
Brazil

Ulysses Posted at 1-22 03:32
Me too. Always took good care of my batteries and drone. Never had a single problem. Im over 200 flights with the Air alone. I think its a recall case and DJI refuse to even acknowledge that trying to avoid the costs involved. Their Reps dont even reply to these topics. Pasta days I've read a lot of similar topics. Looks like now when its about 1 and a half year later, all Air batteries are starting to fail

If you search for this problem on YouTube, you'll find many similar cases, specially in mavic air but other DJI drones as well.

I don't know, Mavic Air was released early 2018, this could be a fail in the battery design. If it was like 300 cycles and 5 years.....but it's happening with relatively new batteries.

This drone and batteries are expensive, specially here in Brasil, I really didn't excpect this.
2020-1-22
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

JonnyHammer Posted at 1-22 03:45
If you search for this problem on YouTube, you'll find many similar cases, specially in mavic air but other DJI drones as well.

I don't know, Mavic Air was released early 2018, this could be a fail in the battery design. If it was like 300 cycles and 5 years.....but it's happening with relatively new batteries.
I live in Brazil too. And Im in need of 3 new batteries. They are not cheap. Some places its out of stock meaning a lot others are in similar position as we are. I too think they are relatively new but the worst part is flying without a clue of when they will fail. Its absurd! And its worse DJI not acknowledging this problem.
I used to be confident flying (exclusively DJI) drones is completely safe and all that federal regulations where excessive and overprotective. Now I think the opposite and Im not confident to put a drone in the air again.
And I've even flown a drone for the Brazilian Air Force with high officials and air traffic controlers right by my side inside an Airforce base. So, Im not an idiot talking about things I dont know.
2020-1-22
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

If we only knew 60 or 70 recharge cycles were the batteries end of life...
But the closest thing we have as an official statement from DJI is that it can get up to 200 cycles and then its out of warranty. So we are cought by surprise with it failing very sooner than that number and without absolutely no previous sign.
DJI is making their own drones a threat while trying to make them safer. I cant understand that.
2020-1-22
Use props
Jason James
lvl.3
Flight distance : 827487 ft
Ecuador

Good to know. My batteries have between 25-50 cycles each and so far this has not been a problem.

My previous drone, An AUtel X-Star, was plagued by bad batteries, and would have "voltage drops" where it would just go from 60-20 in an instant, or 40-10 and force a landing, wherever it happened to be!
2020-1-24
Use props
SveinDJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273379 ft
Norway

Just remember not to charge them to 100% if you know you will not be using the drone for some weeks, as this can make them bad over time. 50% charge is good for storing batteries over time
2020-1-25
Use props
JeromeM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178793 ft
United States

Hi. Sorry to hear that. With my flying combo  I checked the SN of my batteries. All of them are following number (last is TU / TV), I think if one death, all will follow as I am interchanging all of 3 each time (number). I think it is never good to have the same serial production (date and number).
Do your batteries has a SN close?
2020-1-27
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Yes. Mine are pretty close SN numbers. First 5 digits are all the same on all three. For me, it would simply be a matter of loosing a dead battery ans buying a new one. Thats life, it happens. Problem is it has absolutely behaves like no other battery type we know. I mean, we dont get any signs of decreasing performance nor nothing. Its working flawlessly and next second it fails. And I dont need to remember we are flying things over properties and people and how dangerous it can be. So Im not confident in flying a drone anymore. Its not safe. And DJI has done nothing about it. Not even a moderator came to shed some light. Through support page, as its out of warranty, they simply close the case and thats it. We are flying time bombs.
2020-1-27
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

It happnened again. Last week, same thing as with my other 2 batteries. Exactly the same thing. None of them reached 80 cycles. Last one was about 60 cycles. Again, no warning, battery always taken care as manual suggests, no way to know it had a problem and this time I lost the shot from a gig. Made an almost 2 hour travel to do this gig and lost it. I was certain it could give some more flights as this batery was many cycles less than the others. I have a new battery now but I will not be confident to fly or do the things I used to anymore. And DJI says nothing about it. Pretty deceptive.
2020-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules