How to crash and nearly lose your Mavic Mini (video)
1072 12 2020-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ErikB_Sthlm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60791 ft
Guadeloupe

I had an interesting flight yesterday.

Did a real rookie mistake. Tried to follow all recommendations of flying into the wind, performing compass calibration and setting a not too high RTH altitude (to avoid risk of flyaway on RTH).

https://youtu.be/PsNfoEkN2QA

As I set out i decided to check out the rock. Never intended to go behind. But as I approched, my kids were eager to see what it looked like from behind. And transmission was perfect without any glitches, so I figured why not make a lap around.

Being an engineer, I should be aware of the concept of what a huge rock does for radio waves.. but curiosity took over, and the scientific knowlege kicked in just half a second before connection was actually lost.

Just when I lost transmission, my mind went 'hmmm, how high did I set the rth? will that work?' and then I contemplated running on the beach to regain connection, but a quick calculation stated that I would be unable to get radio coverage again before rth would kick in. So then I went back to hoping.

Just wanted to share my lessons learned (see the clip).
I was probably very lucky ust to get the mavic back. Even moreseo that it works fine after opening and reattachning the gimbal.

//Erik
2020-1-18
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

WOW .. that's the second video I've seen where the MM hits a rock, recovers, and flies back.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-1-18
Use props
ErikB_Sthlm
lvl.1
Guadeloupe

Dont know why the link in my original posting was not clickable..another attempt:
https://youtu.be/PsNfoEkN2QA
2020-1-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Erik,

Lucky you and a MM is a little beast ; fighting and win from a rock.
I got the impression that the climb in RTH did not reach 15 meters.

If you like upload your log one here, using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2020-1-18
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Wow that sure was a close one, very happy for you, keep on flying
2020-1-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Erik. Thank you for sharing your flight experience of your DJI Mavic Mini and for sharing this link with us. This experience will be a very big help to all our DJI co pilot who might encounter this situation in the future. Great recovery and fly safe always.
2020-1-18
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Beautiful place but... heedless safety handling, 15m RTH when going to a rock about that high . I also believe the rock would have looked way better if you were about 1.5 times its top height and you would have had no problem circling around it.

Hopefully this will serve you cement your pre-flight checks and plan the flight more carefully. You have a wonderful place to explore. Wish you luck.
2020-1-18
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Great video, happy you got the Mini back, it was a close call!
2020-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, very close call.  Glad you got the MM back with only minimal damage.  Thanks for sharing the video.
2020-1-18
Use props
Jym
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398927 ft
United States

Wow you got lucky! That video was suspenseful!
2020-1-18
Use props
Tervist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Wow! That was one close call. So glad that your mini found its way back to you.
2020-1-18
Use props
ErikB_Sthlm
lvl.1
Guadeloupe

Logs uploaded
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/UOEUQIMGP08KP776AXVY/
2020-1-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

WOOOOW, same here second time I see the mini recover from impact to huge rock.
You were lucky the hit almost sent the drone 5 m high, rather than nose down, I guess 30 meters is a safe altitude for most RTH scenarios.

The idea wasn't bad, just the fact it had the rock in between, you could had the drone flying a bit over the object so there was still connection between AC and RC, so we could see the other side of the rock! lol

Lesson learned, glad you didn't loose the mini! This is good info for newbies!
Thanks for sharing!
2020-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules