10" Samsung tablet that works with the Mini?
5918 31 2020-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans11bc8bff
lvl.2
United States

I'm thinking about getting a 10" tablet (I like the large display so please don't recommend anything smaller).   I like the Samsung brand and have had good service from the two I have.  I have the Tab A 10" and the Tab Pro 12", and unfortunately neither works with the DJI Fly app.  I tried sideloading and the app won't load on either.  Anyone have any luck with maybe the Galaxy Tab S4?
2020-1-18
Use props
CarRamRod
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81742 ft
United States

I have the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8" with ARM 8.1 and a 64bit Snapdragon processor and it works....... Downloaded from the DJI website, does not show up in the Play Store. Not a great tablet, but meets the criteria. I would imagine if the S4 has a 64bit Snapdragon processor, it should be good. The Exynos processor is a problem from what I've read.

EDIT:
Looks like it has a 64bit Snapdragon processor. It should be good. I'd wait until someone that actually has one chimes in.
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-tab-s4/specs/
2020-1-18
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Both of your tablets have a 32bit architecture, which is not supported by DJI Fly which is a 64bit app.

To have some chance of working the tablets need to have 64bit architecture, running  minimum of Android 6.0 and 2gb of ram preferred, even then there is no guarantee they will run DJI Fly. Many manufactures customise Android on their devices,  so there can always be compatibility issues.

Also watch out for screen brightness when searching for a tablet, 400 nits is probably the lowest you would want to go.

I don't believe there are any Samsung tablets on the official DJI Fly compatible list, but that doesn't mean they won't work.

I know that my Ipad Mini 4 (only 8in) works perfectly with DJI Fly and since it's release on the app store, there hasn't been a glitch, crash or lag while using it with the MM.

8in tablets are the best of all worlds, larger screen than a phone, but still small enough to fit inside the jaws of the MM controller for the best form factor.

2020-1-18
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37536 ft
United States

Try loading APK from DJI instead of Google Play as CarRamRod indicated. If not, only other Android based 10" tablet would be the MatePad Pro with 10.8" for the moment.
2020-1-18
Use props
fans11bc8bff
lvl.2
United States

I thought my 12" was 64bit, but I could be mistaken.  I know it has a Snapdragon processor, but is running Android 5.1, which could be another problem.  I think I read somewhere Fly requires v6.0 or above.   DJI Fly does work great on my LG G8 cell phone, so until they sort out exactly what tablets will work I'll continue to use the cell phone.  BTW, I have Epson Moverio glasses that I use with my Phantom, but there's no way they can work with the Mini.  I'm spoiled using them.  Nothing can beat that.  If someone comes out with some sort of an app or device that will worth with the Epson glasses, I'll jump on that and forget the tablet idea.
2020-1-19
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans11bc8bff Posted at 1-19 06:29
I thought my 12" was 64bit, but I could be mistaken.  I know it has a Snapdragon processor, but is running Android 5.1, which could be another problem.  I think I read somewhere Fly requires v6.0 or above.   DJI Fly does work great on my LG G8 cell phone, so until they sort out exactly what tablets will work I'll continue to use the cell phone.  BTW, I have Epson Moverio glasses that I use with my Phantom, but there's no way they can work with the Mini.  I'm spoiled using them.  Nothing can beat that.  If someone comes out with some sort of an app or device that will worth with the Epson glasses, I'll jump on that and forget the tablet idea.

Litchi, was waiting for the MM SDK which is supposed to be released in April.
They might be able to make it work with Litchi, which we can then use on the BT-300.

If you use airscreen you can cast to the BT-300 from the device connected to the RC.
There is some lag and you need to have both connected to a wireless network
2020-1-19
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi The Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) features a 10.1-inch 1920 x 1200 TFT display with a display aspect ratio of 16:10. The device is fueled by the Exynos 7904 64-bit octa-core processor, and it packs in 2GB of RAM and 32GB of expandable storage.  My wife has this tablet but although it is indeed 64 bit it does not show dji fly in Google play store, it runs dji go 4 OK.
2020-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Mini. In addition I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. Thank you for your understanding and support.

2020-1-19
Use props
BeachPilot214
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5479 ft
United States

UKMoose Posted at 1-19 06:57
Hi The Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) features a 10.1-inch 1920 x 1200 TFT display with a display aspect ratio of 16:10. The device is fueled by the Exynos 7904 64-bit octa-core processor, and it packs in 2GB of RAM and 32GB of expandable storage.  My wife has this tablet but although it is indeed 64 bit it does not show dji fly in Google play store, it runs dji go 4 OK.

The problem is the Android software is 32 bit. You have to have a 64 bit version of Android to go with the 64 bit processor.
2020-1-19
Use props
fans11bc8bff
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-19 07:58
Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Mini. In addition I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. Thank you for your understanding and support.

[view_image]

That list can't be complete.  I've heard of several tablets that appear to work fine, but I won't run out and buy one of those unless I know for sure, until DJI approves it for use.  Funny, I use the LG G8.  It works fine, and it's not on your "official" list!
2020-1-19
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BeachPilot214 Posted at 1-19 08:52
The problem is the Android software is 32 bit. You have to have a 64 bit version of Android to go with the 64 bit processor.

Oh OK every days a school day thanks, how do you know which you have?
2020-1-19
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

Axotopia Posted at 1-18 22:12
Try loading APK from DJI instead of Google Play as CarRamRod indicated. If not, only other Android based 10" tablet would be the MatePad Pro with 10.8" for the moment.

Make sure it does not have an Intel processor.  Snapdragon seems to work.  The Eyxnos might work now with V1.0.6.
2020-1-19
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

UKMoose Posted at 1-19 06:57

Based on this then I suggest that V1.0.6 will work with this device. I am using it with a Galaxy tab A 8" and it is quite nice.
2020-1-19
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JohnK48 Posted at 1-19 13:21
Based on this then I suggest that V1.0.6 will work with this device. I am using it with a Galaxy tab A 8" and it is quite nice.

Thanks John, I've just checked on the play store on the wife's tab A 10 2019 and the dji fly is still not showing. Its not relavant to me but may help the OP
2020-1-19
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

UKMoose Posted at 1-19 13:38
Thanks John, I've just checked on the play store on the wife's tab A 10 2019 and the dji fly is still not showing. Its not relavant to me but may help the OP
Interesting that the DJI Fly doesn't show on the playstore, which normally suggests the tablet is 32bit but in this case I don't think it is.

2020-1-19
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

UKMoose Posted at 1-19 13:38
Thanks John, I've just checked on the play store on the wife's tab A 10 2019 and the dji fly is still not showing. Its not relavant to me but may help the OP

In my case I side loaded it directly. I don't think the Galaxy Tab A is recognized as supported, but it really does work well. Have to be in 64 bit mode Android, ARM processor.
2020-1-19
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JohnK48 Posted at 1-19 13:54
In my case I side loaded it directly. I don't think the Galaxy Tab A is recognized as supported, but it really does work well. Have to be in 64 bit mode Android, ARM processor.

Just downloaded from dji download page but won't install, guess the android version is only 32 bit  but I'm not sure how to check.
2020-1-19
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans11bc8bff Posted at 1-19 06:29
I thought my 12" was 64bit, but I could be mistaken.  I know it has a Snapdragon processor, but is running Android 5.1, which could be another problem.  I think I read somewhere Fly requires v6.0 or above.   DJI Fly does work great on my LG G8 cell phone, so until they sort out exactly what tablets will work I'll continue to use the cell phone.  BTW, I have Epson Moverio glasses that I use with my Phantom, but there's no way they can work with the Mini.  I'm spoiled using them.  Nothing can beat that.  If someone comes out with some sort of an app or device that will worth with the Epson glasses, I'll jump on that and forget the tablet idea.

You can check if it has a true 64bit architecture by running AIDA64 and look at the "instruction set"

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... om.finalwire.aida64

Even if the device is 64bit it could still have compatibility problems with DJI Fly if it's running a customised version of Android.
2020-1-19
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 1-19 14:03
You can check if it has a true 64bit architecture by running AIDA64 and look at the "instruction set"

Thanks for the information Ian, I appreciate your help however it's the wife's tablet and if I xxxx it up there be hell to pay. I don't have a mini, I have MP1 and the go 4 app runs well on my wife's tab A 10, my Sony Z5, my huawei mediapad m3 lite 8, and lastly my huawei mediapad T5 10.1, all with no problems. People on here seem to favour ipad mini but I couldn't justify the price as I only paid £250 for my MP1 with fly more combo from a good mate, 2 of the battery's were goosed which I knew about but eh I'm happy.
2020-1-19
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

Maybe you can look at Huawei Mediapad m5 10,8 with kirin 960 proc or better.
2020-1-19
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 1-19 14:03

Hi Ian the galaxy tab a 10.1 2019 instruction set say 64_bit armv8_ac(32_bit mode) I'm guessing thats the problem with the Fly app
2020-1-19
Use props
Hamiltom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82927 ft
Canada

I have the S6 and it works very well. Excellent display outdoors even on bright days. The compass orientation is also accurate, unlike on my LG G7. I use the Lekufee mount and a cable from amazon.
2020-1-19
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

UKMoose Posted at 1-19 13:58
Just downloaded from dji download page but won't install, guess the android version is only 32 bit  but I'm not sure how to check.

Hmm.  I'll ask somebody who probably knows how to tell.
2020-1-19
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JohnK48 Posted at 1-19 16:04
Hmm.  I'll ask somebody who probably knows how to tell.

Hi John, apparently the Tab A is 64 bit running in 32 bit mode, thanks to iannes post above there is an app Aida 64 on Google play that shows everything you could want to know about the device you install ito. Thanks
2020-1-19
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

UKMoose Posted at 1-19 15:08
Hi Ian the galaxy tab a 10.1 2019 instruction set say 64_bit armv8_ac(32_bit mode) I'm guessing thats the problem with the Fly app

Yep, that's it,  a 64 bit processor cutdown to 32bit mode is not going to be compatible with a 64bit app like DJI Fly

Dji Go4 on the other hand is a 32bit app with support for 64bit after version 4.3.24
2020-1-19
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 1-19 13:17
Make sure it does not have an Intel processor.  Snapdragon seems to work.  The Eyxnos might work now with V1.0.6.

Apologies if I misunderstand what you are saying.   Looks like Fly apps works on majority of Eyxnos smartphonesbased on DJI's list, so should not be limited to Snapdragon.  After all, it works on Apple's and Huawei chip as well.  May be a 32bit vs 64bit issue, but DJI is keeping rather silent on this matter for some strange reason.

AT this point, looks like Samsung's Tab A 8" (2019)  and Huawei's 10.8" MatePad Pro are both working correctly with the Fly app.  Would like iPad users to post a screen shot of what they are seeing on the Fly app besides the over-sized icon and menu by forum member Bigplumbs from 1-13-20.

2020-1-19
Use props
fans11bc8bff
lvl.2
United States

Hamiltom Posted at 1-19 15:53
I have the S6 and it works very well. Excellent display outdoors even on bright days. The compass orientation is also accurate, unlike on my LG G7. I use the Lekufee mount and a cable from amazon.

Good to hear the S6 works.  Unfortunately it's a lot more than I want to spend, especially since it will only be used for the Fly app.  Do you know if the S4 will work?  That's hundreds cheaper, and available used.
2020-1-20
Use props
BeachPilot214
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5479 ft
United States

UKMoose Posted at 1-19 10:04
Oh OK every days a school day thanks, how do you know which you have?

I downloaded this app from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antutu.ABenchMark.lite  You'll have to give it permissions you probably don't want to do but you can immediately uninstall it after you get the info. you want. After installing it, choose  My Device. On mine the 6th item in the list is the Android version and whether it's 32 or 64 bit.
2020-1-20
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Axotopia Posted at 1-19 23:58
Would like iPad users to post a screen shot of what they are seeing on the Fly app besides the over-sized icon and menu by forum member Bigplumbs from 1-13-20.

This is my Ipad Mini 4 screen

2020-1-20
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans11bc8bff Posted at 1-20 06:49
Good to hear the S6 works.  Unfortunately it's a lot more than I want to spend, especially since it will only be used for the Fly app.  Do you know if the S4 will work?  That's hundreds cheaper, and available used.

I believe the S4 is 32bit and only supports up to Android 5.0.1

I think the challenge in using older devices when they are compatible to DJI Fly,  is the lower cpu performance compared to the latest models.

DJI Fly does require a lot of processing power.

2020-1-20
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 1-20 20:37
This is my Ipad Mini 4 screen

[view_image]

That;s great!  I started a new post "List of Android/Apple Tablets running Fly App", wondering if you can post to it.  Thanks.
2020-1-20
Use props
Danny Troy
lvl.2
United States

I wound up getting a 10.5" Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e.   I haven't tried it yet connected to the Mini, but the app loaded without a problem from the Playstore, and it seems to run fine so far.
2020-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules