BetaFlight - No UARTs | Bad Flight Controller?
7931 16 2020-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Guys,

I've been troubleshooting my Flight Controller (FC) in BetaFlight the last few hours.  Need a little help as I'm a little new to FPV setups and BetaFlight.  I'm not seeing any UARTs in the PORTS section (PIC 2) of Betaflight and the "Calibrate Accelerometer" is greyed out on the main screen (PIC 1).

PIC 3 is just a screen shot of "what I should be seeing" from a working Flight Controller Screen Shot (I added just for reference).  PIC 2 is what I'm seeing in BetaFlight with my Flight Controller.  No UARTS showing at all.

I've re-flashed the firmware but that didn't help and I've replaced my ribbon cable between my ESC and FC (I know the ribbon cable is fine).  Any thoughts....Is this a damaged Flight Controller?   Also, I'm seeing 1 solid Green LED on the FC and 1 solid RED LED on the FC, but not sure if that's normal or is telling me something.

With no UARTS my FC can'ts see my Remote Controller....if it's a bad FC I'll order a new one.  Thought I would check with some experienced folks on here first.  It's a HobbyWing Flight Controller.  

P.S.  I've tried reflashing the firmware a few times hoping that might help but did not.

PIC 1

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 3
2020-1-19
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Just some thoughts-

Did you flash the correct betaflight target for hobbywing?

Do you have the latest betaflight configurator version?
2020-1-20
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mc54 Posted at 1-20 09:17
Just some thoughts-

Did you flash the correct betaflight target for hobbywing?

Yes, I did a full backup in BetaFlight when everything was working.   Cut/Paste below:

# version
# Betaflight / STM32F405 (S405) 4.1.1 Nov 15 2019 / 12:54:53 (1e5e3d369) MSP API: 1.42
# manufacturer_id: AIRB   board_name: OMNIBUSF4SD   custom defaults: YES

So, I did download the "STM32F405" newer version (and even reflashed back to the 4.1.1. version but nothing.  

Yes, also using the newest version 10.6.0

BetaFlight.jpg
2020-1-20
Use props
JchgMad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3238 ft
Spain

WHAT TYPE IS HobbyWing FC ?

2020-1-20
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JchgMad Posted at 1-20 13:21
WHAT TYPE IS HobbyWing FC ?

https://www.banggood.com/Hobbywi ... mp;cur_warehouse=CN
2020-1-20
Use props
JchgMad
lvl.3
Spain

Firmware: OMINIBUSF4SD (airb)
say yes at the first power on

2020-1-20
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JchgMad Posted at 1-20 14:54
Firmware: OMINIBUSF4SD (airb)

Sorry, I may have mis-spoken (typed).  The build I received is the Rotor Riot HD1 Build.  Here's the actual link.  I didn't build it myself so it's hard to know the exact make/model flight controller because it was put together by Rotor Riot.

However, I did a "VERSION" command in BetaFlight CLI (when I first received the quad) and here's the output.

-----------------------Start of Cut/Paste------------------------
#

# diff all

# version
# Betaflight / STM32F405 (S405) 4.1.1 Nov 15 2019 / 12:54:53 (1e5e3d369) MSP API: 1.42

-----------------------End of Cut/Paste----------------

You can see it's "STM32F405 (S405)' FIRMWARE on this Flight Controller (FC) so that's what I flashed onto it.

I just ordered a new Flight Controller and I see it's a different firmware version.  Sorry for the confusion.  
2020-1-20
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 1-20 17:31
Sorry, I may have mis-spoken (typed).  The build I received is the Rotor Riot HD1 Build.  Here's the actual link.  I didn't build it myself so it's hard to know the exact make/model flight controller because it was put together by Rotor Riot.

However, I did a "VERSION" command in BetaFlight CLI (when I first received the quad) and here's the output.

Please get in contact with Rotor Riot to let them know you are having these issues. They will be able to help you as they built the quad. I would advise against replacing components as you will void your warranty.
2020-1-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kreeze Posted at 1-21 07:10
Please get in contact with Rotor Riot to let them know you are having these issues. They will be able to help you as they built the quad. I would advise against replacing components as you will void your warranty.

Thanks...yes, I'm shooting them off an email now.  I've emailed them before there usually very responsive.  
2020-1-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kreeze Posted at 1-21 07:10

I'm just realizing when I did a "VERSION" in Betaflight before updating the firmware here's what I got.

# version

QUESTION:  I downloaded "STM32F405" as shown on the first line....BUT, was I suppose to download what's on the second line instead "OMNIBUSF4SD".......     .... Now, I'm questioning which line I was suppose to be looking at.
2020-1-21
Use props
JchgMad
lvl.3
Spain

RGMGFitness Posted at 1-21 07:54
I'm just realizing when I did a "VERSION" in Betaflight before updating the firmware here's what I got.

# version

flash again
choose Firmware: OMINIBUSF4SD (airb)
2020-1-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JchgMad Posted at 1-21 08:09
flash again
say yes at the first power on

Yep, that's what I'm doing when I get home today (currently at office).  I followed Joshua Bardwell's video but I think your 100% right....Will let you know what happens since you've been helping me.  

P.S.  Oh, and did email Rotor Riot this morning as well (curious to see what they have to say as well).  
2020-1-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

flash again
say yes at the first power on

My response from Rotor Riot...cut/paste below:

---------------------------------------------------
Hello!

Thanks for reaching out. We don't recommend that settings like this are modified unless fluent with the systems as it can make getting back in the air difficult. The best we could do is send over a CLI dump with our original settings on them. The target will be the "Omnibusf4sd" when selecting firmware. Let me know if we can send over that cli, we will be happy to help!

Rotor Riot
---------------------------------------------------------------
So, I'll be flashing Omnibusf4sd when I get home..fingers crossed!
2020-1-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

*UPDATE* - I also posted this question to Joshua Bardwell (I'm sure many of you guys know him).  This was the response; "....You want OMNIBUSF4SD. The version command changed in 4.1 because of the move to Unified Targets.".

Thought I would post in case anyone else runs into this.  Looks like I didn't need to purchase a new flight controller after all.  On the positive side, I guess I'll have a spare should I need it.

2020-1-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

flash again

That was it....Flashed to Firmware: OMINIBUSF4SD (airb) and we're good now!   

Thanks for the help...

BetaFlight.jpg
2020-1-21
Use props
Drekko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62365 ft
Australia

RGMGFitness Posted at 2020-1-21 14:33
That was it....Flashed to Firmware: OMINIBUSF4SD (airb) and we're good now!   

Thanks for the help...

I love you man
I had the same issue
Followed Joshua's tutorial. He said to flash it according to the number is says here;
# version
# Betaflight / STM32F405 (S405) 4.2.9 Apr 27 2021 / 19:33:01 (e097f4ab7) MSP API: 1.43

The STM number is what it says to flash at!

Not sure if theyve changed it but yeh that tutorial is a bit out of date I guess
I flashed it to betaflght4 which is what it says after
Boardname and it looks happy now
2021-5-8
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Drekko Posted at 5-8 20:23
I love you man
I had the same issue
Followed Joshua's tutorial. He said to flash it according to the number is says here;

Glad it helped!  That's why I posted it here...figured if I had the issue others may run into it as well.  
2021-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules