iPad mini 5 video reception problems with DJI Go
2649 15 2020-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Unable to use my new iPad mini 5 tablet (IOS 13.3) with my P3P controller (running DJI Go v. 3.1.60); once the P3P lifts off the video hangs or even worse the lower 2/3 of the screen is black. This happens despite iPad mini App Refresh set to OFF and running in Airplane mode (no Wi-Fi). However the video recorded on the microSD card is fine. After a number of trials, each time after lift-off the video hung, I then switched back to my Android tablet (Nexus 9) and the video reception is fine (as usual). So this appears not be a hardware, cable connector, or whatever issue.
Is anyone else having similar problems?
Will DJI upgrade the compatibility list to include the iPad mini 5 for the DJI Go app IOS version in the near future?

2020-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day johnsr. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having issue with your iPad mini 5 tablet ( IOS 13.3 ) on your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. This issue will be cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. In addition rest assured that DJI is continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

"Will DJI upgrade the compatibility list to include the iPad mini 5 for the DJI Go app IOS version in the near future?"

Whether DJI do or not will not affect your iPad. The list is simply a list of phones or tablets that DJI have tested and found that they will work with the DJI Go App. It is not a change to the app or anything else in order to make your iPad work. DJI write one version of code for iOS, and that's it. It either works or it doesn't.

The video on the SD card will always work, it has nothing to do with the issue, but you might try shutting off local video caching to see if that improves the situation. Another common issue is the cable you are using to connect the iPad to the RC unit, try a genuine Apple cable.

2020-1-19
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

Geebax Posted at 1-19 13:16
"Will DJI upgrade the compatibility list to include the iPad mini 5 for the DJI Go app IOS version in the near future?"

Whether DJI do or not will not affect your iPad. The list is simply a list of phones or tablets that DJI have tested and found that they will work with the DJI Go App. It is not a change to the app or anything else in order to make your iPad work. DJI write one version of code for iOS, and that's it. It either works or it doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestions Geebax. However I am using a genuine Apple cable with the iPad mini and I did shut off the local video caching.
2020-1-19
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-19 10:30
Hello and good day johnsr. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having issue with your iPad mini 5 tablet ( IOS 13.3 ) on your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. This issue will be cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. In addition rest assured that DJI is continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the fast reply yesterday. Let me know if you need any additional information or have some ideas that I should try.
2020-1-20
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnsr Posted at 1-19 14:16
Thanks for the suggestions Geebax. However I am using a genuine Apple cable with the iPad mini and I did shut off the local video caching.

I would try another cable.  Does not happen often but i have seen new original lightning cables that are bad.
2020-1-20
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

EdM Posted at 1-20 09:59
I would try another cable.  Does not happen often but i have seen new original lightning cables that are bad.

Thanks EdM for the suggestion; I'll give that a try tomorrow.
2020-1-20
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 1-19 13:16

Whether DJI do or not will not affect your iPad. The list is simply a list of phones or tablets that DJI have tested and found that they will work with the DJI Go App. It is not a change to the app or anything else in order to make your iPad work. DJI write one version of code for iOS, and that's it. It either works or it doesn't.

Unfortunately the GO app has turned into bloatware trying to cover every bit of DJI hardware.
It was a good product and ran on cheaper devices before they added support for every thing they make.
Now the hardware needed to run the app costs as much, or more, than the thing you are trying to control. LOL
I wish they would split it up.
2020-1-20
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

Rigworker Posted at 1-20 17:43
Unfortunately the GO app has turned into bloatware trying to cover every bit of DJI hardware.
It was a good product and ran on cheaper devices before they added support for every thing they make.
Now the hardware needed to run the app costs as much, or more, than the thing you are trying to control. LOL

I must admit that the Android DJI GO version I use with my Nexus tablet hasn't been updated since a while .
I usually follow the concept "If it flies OK don't update", learned painfully over the past few years. My problem here is that I acquired the IOS iPad mini 5 (for a planned purchase of  a newer drone using DJI GO 4) and was hoping to be able to fly the P3P with it, but it seems very difficult to roll back IOS versions of DJI GO.
2020-1-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

johnsr Posted at 1-20 00:45
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the fast reply yesterday. Let me know if you need any additional information or have some ideas that I should try.

You are very much welcome johnsr. I will definitely do that and for the latest news and updates of DJI. Kindly please visit our official website at www.dji.com or follow us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.
2020-1-21
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

Are others having problems with iPad mini 5 IOS 13 and DJI GO app? I understand that it works well with DJI GO 4.
2020-1-30
Use props
Peo
First Officer
Flight distance : 25409793 ft
Sweden

Do I dare to replace my Ipad mini 4 with a 5th
I bet my (Mini 4 ) can't handle the cold. It completely shuts down and can only be started with a little charging current of 5 seconds.
2 ℃ = 35 ℉ and with some wind and the screen goes out. Bad that Appel can't handle a bit of cold
2020-2-1
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-21 15:10
You are very much welcome johnsr. I will definitely do that and for the latest news and updates of DJI. Kindly please visit our official website at www.dji.com or follow us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen, this is just an update to say that the issue may be resolved. I have made one successful flight with my iPad mini 5 and the Phantom 3P after reloading the DJI GO app, changing cable and a new update (IOS 13.3.1) on the iPad (if weather permits I'll check again next week). My  new Mavic 2 Pro arrived this past week so I have busy getting it up and running. As expected from others posts, absolutely no problems with the iPad mini 5 running IOS 13 and the DJI GO 4 app.
2020-2-8
Use props
freeegooo
New
Flight distance : 739570 ft

Belgium

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-19 10:30
Hello and good day johnsr. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having issue with your iPad mini 5 tablet ( IOS 13.3 ) on your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. This issue will be cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. In addition rest assured that DJI is continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hello,
Sorry for my english, I uste to speak french
I have almost the same problem. I use my Phantom 3 Pro with a IPad mini 4 for years now. But I have many problems to get a return of image so I can't see what I will take (video ou photo) for monts now
I also tried to use my Sony Xperia 5 phone but can't connect the drone.
I also tried to change the cable with no effect. I also updated the DJI Go regulary.
Any idea I can do ?
2020-2-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

johnsr Posted at 2-8 02:32
Hi Stephen, this is just an update to say that the issue may be resolved. I have made one successful flight with my iPad mini 5 and the Phantom 3P after reloading the DJI GO app, changing cable and a new update (IOS 13.3.1) on the iPad (if weather permits I'll check again next week). My  new Mavic 2 Pro arrived this past week so I have busy getting it up and running. As expected from others posts, absolutely no problems with the iPad mini 5 running IOS 13 and the DJI GO 4 app.

Hello and good day johnsr. Thank you for sharing these information and for giving us this update. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-2-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

freeegooo Posted at 2-8 06:54
Hello,
Sorry for my english, I uste to speak french
I have almost the same problem. I use my Phantom 3 Pro with a IPad mini 4 for years now. But I have many problems to get a return of image so I can't see what I will take (video ou photo) for monts now

Hello and good day iPad mini freeegooo. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Have you tried using a different mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? Upon checking the mobile device ( Sony Xperia 5 ) on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not yet recommended for the said drone and with the said application. I would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Sony Xperia 5 will be able to work on the DJI Go application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Go application while using it on the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. For reference,  I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules