Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Missing photos (and video) ?
1066 14 2020-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545377 ft
Australia

I have only just started flying my new Mini in the past week or so. I think I am missing some photos and maybe some video clips that I am almost certain were taken when flying. I have not yet had time to be scientific about this and test. The SD card is a reliable Samsung PRO Endurance and has been formatted in the Mini. No sign of the photos in the phone cache either, but I very definitely pressed the shutter button on the right of the controller and the app screen seemed to change.
Anyone else experience this and/or know how to read the binary logs that appear to be stored on the SD card - the camera log seems especially interesting given the problem I am having.

I am less sure about missing video but there was a 2 minute straight flight I recall having videoed but with nothing on the card or the phone cache, just a time gap between the other clips.

I intend to reformat the card and make some flights this week.

2020-1-19
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 280682 ft
Finland

Just a few points that I learned right at the beginning:
- If you are on video mode, one click of the photo button takes you to the photo mode, you need to press again to actually capture a photo. Same works vice versa
- Cache files record on top of each other if you haven't allocated sufficient space for the cache through the Fly app
- At least my Mini/phone doesn't even save pictures in cache? Only video

2020-1-19
Use props
JeremyFr79
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141637 ft
United States

I can tell you from my own experience, there have been many times I have pressed the record or capture photo button on the RC, only to discover they didn't do anything, even yesterday before I lost my drone I had to press the record button several times (even on screen) before it actually started recording.
2020-1-19
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks for the confirmation. At least I am not alone.
2020-1-19
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Australia

Miixxa Posted at 1-19 13:22
Just a few points that I learned right at the beginning: - If you are on video mode, on click of the photo button takes you to the photo mode, you need to press again to actually capture a photo. Same works vice versa
- Cache files record on top of each other if you haven't allocated sufficient space for the cache through the Fly app
- I guess some phones don't even capture the pics in cache?

Yes, I noticed that and - again with no scientific certainty - I am pretty sure I went to photo mode (with no video being recorded) and pressed physical button again. But it could be user error. As I said, more testing this week.
2020-1-19
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 280682 ft
Finland

Peter Galbavy Posted at 1-19 13:26
Yes, I noticed that and - again with no scientific certainty - I am pretty sure I went to photo mode (with no video being recorded) and pressed physical button again. But it could be user error. As I said, more testing this week.

Yep, I feel you as I was having the same issue + trust issues with myself

Now that I've had the chance to actually concentrate on what I'm doing, I've noticed it was 100% user error for me...
2020-1-19
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I can confirm this issue. The physical photo button on the RC doesn't always work. I usually take 5-6 photos in succession when setting up an HDR and if I use the physical button, at least half of the shots will not trigger. Doing it from the virtual button in the app works every time. Very strange indeed....
2020-1-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Please keep us posted on the test that you will be conducting for your drone this coming week. Also, I will highly recommend you to format your SD Card on your computer and not on the drone to see if the problem persists. If you have other SD cards that we can try to use upon your test that would be great for us to further isolate the problem. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your support!
2020-1-19
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-19 13:54
Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Please keep us posted on the test that you will be conducting for your drone this coming week. Also, I will highly recommend you to format your SD Card on your computer and not on the drone to see if the problem persists. If you have other SD cards that we can try to use upon your test that would be great for us to further isolate the problem. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your support!

it's got nothing to do with the SD card, tapping the virtual button in the app works flawlessly. The physical button simply doesn't trigger the photo at times. The feedback from the app is quite clear also, there's no shutter noise, it's obvious it simply didn't send the trigger command.
P.S. The card I am using is one of the ones recommended on your page.
2020-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 1-19 13:37
I can confirm this issue. The physical photo button on the RC doesn't always work. I usually take 5-6 photos in succession when setting up an HDR and if I use the physical button, at least half of the shots will not trigger. Doing it from the virtual button in the app works every time. Very strange indeed....

It could be timing, if you try to take the shots too close together the system may still be writing the last shot to the card, whereas in the app, it will wait until the card has finished writing.
2020-1-19
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

it might be a timing issue but if it is, it's not because i'm shooting the photos too fast, it's because i'm shooting it immediately after changing the EV value.
2020-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 1-19 14:01
it might be a timing issue but if it is, it's not because i'm shooting the photos too fast, it's because i'm shooting it immediately after changing the EV value.

That's possible too, as the image processor may have to re-initialise when changing values. In other aircraft, a bracketed shot is done automatically and the timing is therefore controlled by the aircraft.
2020-1-19
Use props
Mgozer
First Officer
Switzerland

I think this delay/missing input is due to the phone processor hardly working.
It happened to me frequently (on Iphone 6) until I updated to Iphone 6s.
2020-1-20
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

Mgozer Posted at 1-20 03:02
I think this delay/missing input is due to the phone processor hardly working.
It happened to me frequently (on Iphone 6) until I updated to Iphone 6s.

i'm getting this behavior on iPhone 11 Pro. Furthermore, as I said, if I tap on the phone app, it works great. The problem is with the physical button on the RC, which has nothing to do with the phone.
2020-1-20
Use props
Mgozer
First Officer
Switzerland

Ice_2k Posted at 1-20 03:04
i'm getting this behavior on iPhone 11 Pro. Furthermore, as I said, if I tap on the phone app, it works great. The problem is with the physical button on the RC, which has nothing to do with the phone.

If it happens to Iphone 11 Pro also, then you are definetively right.
2020-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules