ATTI-Mode or some kind of "raw-flight" mode possible?
2531 22 2020-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Hi. I'm curious if there's the Option to disable all technical stuff and fly the Mini in a pure-control mode (like the little FPV Drones).
I just received the Mini yesterday and couldn't fly yet, but i would like to get into it as pure and raw as possible, so that i don't have to trust all the sensors and so on in case of an emergency.

Is there something like this or will there be something like this available in future?

2020-1-21
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Nope.

I can guess that the reason is that the Mini was not targeted at users who want to do this. They market it as an entry level drone and that's not a feature a new drone pilot would often use.

That's me mind-reading the DJI engineers though, so take it for what it's worth.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-1-21
Use props
RampL Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, never, ever... but a good idea though: )
2020-1-21
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

RampL Aerial photography Posted at 1-21 04:43
No, never, ever... but a good idea though: )

Sad. I actually expected this answer.
Well, maybe some third-party-apps will allow this, when DJI publishes the SDK.
2020-1-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Buy a cheap drone €50 and you can fly around free of all sensors gps etc, at least you will gain experience and you won’t be risking your €500 drone,
There are no dji drones free of all sensors so your best option is above.

If you really want to risk something tape over top cover to block out gps , don’t forget to record the flight and return here with it.
2020-1-21
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-21 07:05
Buy a cheap drone €50 and you can fly around free of all sensors gps etc, at least you will gain experience and you won’t be risking your €500 drone,
There are no dji drones free of all sensors so your best option is above.

I think i will get some Beginner-FPV-Drone when i realize that I really use the Mavic Mini pretty often.
Don't wanna mess up the Mini with taping and so on. In the end DJI tells me (even if I ordered the DJI Care Refresh) that I don't have a right for it because of something like this, who knows. ;)
2020-1-21
Use props
RampL Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mizzu Posted at 1-21 05:57

Anything’s possible but at the same time it is impossible to deviate from DJI’s SDK to the extent that you desire..
2020-1-21
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Mizzu Posted at 1-21 05:57

Have done it indoors (no GPS) and by taping the VPS sensors. Then you are in ATTI mode, only IMU is still active. Outdoor the problem is to prevent GPS reception. Cover the VPS sensors with tape and the area where the GPS module is located with aluminum foil. Should work, but I would only give it a short try because otherwise it could overheat, also see video from a mavic pro ...

2020-1-21
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

And for indoors these video ... prob guards should be assembled

2020-1-21
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

jonny007 Posted at 1-21 09:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMJjSFZfMRg

Thanks. ;)
2020-1-21
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

jonny007 Posted at 1-21 09:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMJjSFZfMRg

I tried covering the sensors because I was at a trade show and needed to get about 20 feet in the air indoors.

Be very very careful. As soon as I let go of the sticks it kept going, trying to bring it back was one over correction after another until it hit a wall. I had the prop guards on and it did not crash.

Unless you have flown a drone without sensors or hoover ability you really shouldn't try and cover those sensors. No GPS is fine but without those sensors you really have to know how to fly.

If it gets away from you you just can't let go of the sticks because it will not just stop.

Did I say be careful?
2020-1-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. It is not recommended to disable these safety feature and the said option is unavailable on the DJI Mavic Mini and on the DJI Fly application . Just a friendly reminder, DJI does not recommend to use any third party software or do any modification because this may affect the performance and stability of the said drone that may lead to an incident that can void the warranty of the said drone. In addition, I will post a link to our DJI Mavic Mini Safety Guidelines and an image for the DJI pre-flight checklist. Thank you and safe flying.

2020-1-21
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 1-21 12:57
I tried covering the sensors because I was at a trade show and needed to get about 20 feet in the air indoors.

Be very very careful. As soon as I let go of the sticks it kept going, trying to bring it back was one over correction after another until it hit a wall. I had the prop guards on and it did not crash.

It is a huge advantage or maybe even a prerequisite (?) that you have already flown a small toy drone for 20 or 30 $. Without GPS, without sensors, without obstacle detection. This is real flying. ;-) As you say, even if you let go of the sticks, you have to constantly correct the position.
2020-1-21
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-21 12:58
Hi. Thank you for reaching to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. It is not recommended to disable these safety feature and the said option is unavailable on the DJI Mavic Mini and on the DJI Fly application . Just a friendly reminder, DJI does not recommend to use any third party software or do any modification because this may affect the performance and stability of the said drone that may lead to an incident that can void the warranty of the said drone. In addition, I will post a link to our DJI Mavic Mini Safety Guidelines and an image for the DJI pre-flight checklist. Thank you and safe flying.

[view_image]

It's logical. If you crashed in this way, you cannot claim a guarantee. ;-)
2020-1-21
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You really only have sensors on the bottom on the mini so I don't know what you mean by "all the sensors". This DJI drone has less sensors than any other. The only other safety feature is RTH so I don't really understand what you mean to be honest. Changing the gimble to fpv mode and the flight will act as a fpv drone, turning the camera when you turn. If you want a pure fpv drone to do flips and fly at very high speeds get a fpv drone. If you are worried it won't be fun to fly, you are wrong. It is pure joy.
2020-1-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

jonny007 Posted at 1-21 13:26
It's logical. If you crashed in this way, you cannot claim a guarantee. ;-)

You are definitely correct. If you have any other concern or query, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-1-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Folks have been requesting this for the original Mavic Pro since it came out -- DJI is uninterested in making this feature available for reasons of their own, which afaik have never been publicized.
2020-1-21
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

deathsquad Posted at 1-21 13:48
You really only have sensors on the bottom on the mini so I don't know what you mean by "all the sensors". This DJI drone has less sensors than any other. The only other safety feature is RTH so I don't really understand what you mean to be honest. Changing the gimble to fpv mode and the flight will act as a fpv drone, turning the camera when you turn. If you want a pure fpv drone to do flips and fly at very high speeds get a fpv drone. If you are worried it won't be fun to fly, you are wrong. It is pure joy.

Well then read the manual . ^^
2020-1-21
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

jonny007 Posted at 1-21 13:25
It is a huge advantage or maybe even a prerequisite (?) that you have already flown a small toy drone for 20 or 30 $. Without GPS, without sensors, without obstacle detection. This is real flying. ;-) As you say, even if you let go of the sticks, you have to constantly correct the position.

I have flown toy drones and the reason I purchased a DJI drone is because I could never really master the constant correcting and need to keep applying slight corrections to the sticks in order to keep it steady.

I really like the ability to just let go of the sticks and take a second to decide on what to do next.

Should someone try and master a drone without sensors or GPS? Maybe, maybe not, depends on the person's use of the drone.

2020-1-22
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mizzu Posted at 1-21 20:32
Well then read the manual . ^^

I have. Sounds like you need to though.
2020-1-22
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

deathsquad Posted at 1-22 11:59
I have. Sounds like you need to though.

And you still didn't see that there is more than 1 sensor?
There are 3 Sensors on the bottom of the Mini. To be fair two of them are the same (infrared).
Also there's a GPS Sensor inside it.
So we're at 3.
Anyways, not interested in wasting more energy in arguing around with some Forum Member.
The other members already gave me helpful information I was searching for.

Enjoy flying.
2020-2-3
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

If you disable all the "techical stuff" in a drone, nobody will be able to fly them: they are all "fly by wire", where pilot controls are simply inputs to the flight controller. DJI drones are designed for aerial photography, and their flight controller is programmed with that in mind, to provide a stable platform to take videos and photos. Disabling the vision sensor and the GPS won't give you in my opinion a more "pure" flying experience, it simply means your MM will not try to hold its position and it would drift with the wind. But this won't change one bit (literally) how the MM responds to your commands. What you're asking would require DJI to add an "Acro Mode", in addition to P and S Modes, but I doubt it will ever happen as the hardware is not designed for it. If you want something more exciting and challenging to fly, you're much better off getting and FPV drone (even without the FPV), RC plane or helicopter.

PS: you might want to edit the title of your post to "ATTI" mode... unless you really want to fly your drone in the attic :-)
2020-2-3
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

120ccpm Posted at 2-3 04:59
If you disable all the "techical stuff" in a drone, nobody will be able to fly them: they are all "fly by wire", where pilot controls are simply inputs to the flight controller. DJI drones are designed for aerial photography, and their flight controller is programmed with that in mind, to provide a stable platform to take videos and photos. Disabling the vision sensor and the GPS won't give you in my opinion a more "pure" flying experience, it simply means your MM will not try to hold its position and it would drift with the wind. But this won't change one bit (literally) how the MM responds to your commands. What you're asking would require DJI to add an "Acro Mode", in addition to P and S Modes, but I doubt it will ever happen as the hardware is not designed for it. If you want something more exciting and challenging to fly, you're much better off getting and FPV drone (even without the FPV), RC plane or helicopter.

PS: you might want to edit the title of your post to "ATTI" mode... unless you really want to fly your drone in the attic :-)

Hahaha Oh ..., I didn't realize the Title-fail.

Yeah, well, i bought an FPV drone to test it but the one i bought was definitely too big for indoor flights (was a real racing machine and I didn't expect it to be so ), so now I ordered an eachine e58, just to have something with less Sensors, which i can "crash without regrets"-
I will buy a little Whoop Drone as well I think, to get more experience, i destroyed my Mini one time because of pure stupidity. I don't want this to happen again.
2020-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules