Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Iphone 6 without simcard
834 15 2020-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zolive
lvl.1
France

Hi,

I would dedicace old Iphone6 IOS 12 (without simcard + sharing connection) with my mavic mini  and my iphoneSE ( sharing connection) with simcard ok, in my pocket to make data connection.

Does it will be ok ?

Thank

2020-1-21
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Not smart, you'll have a constant wifi transmission between your 2 phones which will likely interfere with the drone's signal.
2020-1-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Zolive. Thank for reaching out and for the inquiry. This set up might not work properly it might affect the performance of your DJI Mavic Mini due to interference issues. In addition, during the actual flight of your DJI Mavic Mini it is best and it is recommended to put your mobile device to airplane mode to minimize interference from calls and text. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-1-21
Use props
Marc Alexander
lvl.1
United States

I use the Iphone 6s without the sim, works great. Not sure why you would use the other phone as a hotspot?
2020-1-21
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Marc Alexander Posted at 1-21 17:01
I use the Iphone 6s without the sim, works great. Not sure why you would use the other phone as a hotspot?

For real time mapping updates, if you haven't cached the area's maps
2020-1-21
Use props
Zolive
lvl.1
France

Hi,
Thank for answer
So i can use my old Iphone 6 without simcard (as plane mode) but i don't have map ?
2020-1-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zolive Posted at 1-22 00:10
Hi,
Thank for answer
So i can use my old Iphone 6 without simcard (as plane mode) but i don't have map ?

Aloha Zolive,

The others are giving you good advice.  

Specific to your latest question, I do use my iPhone 6, without SIM card, but I still use the Internet connection on the phone.  I use only the iPhone 6.

There is no interference and it does give me maps through the Internet.  The SIM card is only for phone calls and I have no need for phone calls while I am flying.  Without a SIM card, I still have my Internet.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-1-22
Use props
Mgozer
First Officer
Switzerland

Zolive Posted at 1-22 00:10
Hi,
Thank for answer

you could cache the maps on your Iphone 6 using your home wifi and then use it completely offline to fly your drone.
That's what I do by the way
2020-1-22
Use props
Zolive
lvl.1
France

Ok but i 'no available when you far of your house (eg 40km in the montain) ?
2020-1-22
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

I never fly with a sim or any kind of internet reception and don’t get the pretty maps....my question is do you really need it?  The only reason I use the map is to direct myself home if I lose VLOS.  I don’t need to see all the details.
2020-1-22
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cookster670 Posted at 1-22 01:39
I never fly with a sim or any kind of internet reception and don’t get the pretty maps....my question is do you really need it?  The only reason I use the map is to direct myself home if I lose VLOS.  I don’t need to see all the details.

Maps might help if your drone goes down or if you have to land it somewhere else.
May give you an idea where it's safe to land and it's general location.

2020-1-22
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-22 01:46
Maps might help if your drone goes down or if you have to land it somewhere else.
May give you an idea where it's safe to land and it's general location later

Agree with that, but i think you can overlay that later based on the logs when you have a connection.  It still records gps location, just not the map images.
2020-1-22
Use props
Mgozer
First Officer
Switzerland

Zolive Posted at 1-22 00:51
Ok but i 'no available when you far of your house (eg 40km in the montain) ?

you can cache a different location than your home surroundings too.
2020-1-22
Use props
Zolive
lvl.1
France

Thank a lot for all your answers ,
Great !
2020-1-22
Use props
Mgozer
First Officer
Switzerland

Zolive Posted at 1-22 05:50
Thank a lot for all your answers ,
Great !

Make some tests before the actual flight.
I normally browse the map at home (in DJI Fly app via home wifi) of the location I will fly at, and let the app cache the map.
After that, the map will be available offline.

BUT, it happened to me lately that, after switching off the phone, the cache disappeared.
So please, make some test before; maybe it was just an unfortunate occurence, maybe not.
2020-1-22
Use props
Buffalosoldier
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3 ft
Ireland

I am using IPhone 6 without the sim card without any issues. I've replaced the battery in it for less than €10 and it works perfect as a dedicated screen for MM. What I do, I just connect to the phone hotspot for a minute to cache the maps and then switch off the wifi before flying.
2020-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules