Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Make it possible to lock the white balance (yet another thread)
12Next >
2780 47 2020-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

It has to be possible to at least lock the white balance when recording a video on the Mavic Mini. To have the entire image change colors while shooting is incredibly frustrating. At this point I've lost count of how many shots that was ruined due to this.

Minimum fix: Lock the white balance
Better fix: Also be able to set white balance

2020-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 for a great idea.
2020-1-23
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

I totally agree with this! Ideally video manual settings would be perfect
2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Yes please!
I guess we may see some update end of January or February with added features.
2020-1-23
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-23 01:36
Yes please!
I guess we may see some update end of January or February with added features.

Let's hope so.. As of now I'm starting to regret my purchase :/
2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

krfo_dis Posted at 1-23 01:54
Let's hope so.. As of now I'm starting to regret my purchase :/

Really?
There are several features missing however I have the opposite feeling.
When I first got the mini, I felt I was going to crash it at any time, that feeling has gone now and confidence has increased... loving the mini a lot, more each time I fly it.
2020-1-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

It has been stated many times in this forum that WB needs to be locked or able to be set.  Hopefully, the next firmware will include this and a few other features.  We can only hope.
2020-1-23
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-23 02:23
Really?
When I first got the mini, I felt I was going to crash it at any time, that feeling has gone now and confidence has increased... loving the mini a lot, more each time I fly it.

Well, not being able to slowly fly over shifting terrain without getting the color balance shift all of a sudden really isn't very nice :/

It is a stable and nice drone in itself, but this specific bug with the camera is really a shame
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This is a worthwhile thread and should be supported, manual controls will make mini a much better prospect
2020-1-23
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-23 04:57
This is a worthwhile thread and should be supported, manual controls will make mini a much better prospect

Yes. As some other User said in some kind of this Topic.
DJI simply artificially keeps the Mavic Mini in a "lesser quality" product just to hope/ensure that people will  buy the more expensive Products. But they don't understand that for many people (me included) the money doesn't matter but the size and weight.
I don't understand why they destroy their own little Product which doesn't have a big competition on the market at the moment, when they could have the must-have-mini-Drone which is out of any future competition the next months, maybe even years.
2020-1-23
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Mizzu Posted at 1-23 05:04
I don't understand why they destroy their own little Product which doesn't have a big competition on the market at the moment, when they could have the must-have-mini-Drone which is out of any future competition the next months, maybe even years.

Because probably there's an Air 2 coming and they don't want the Mini cannibalizing the sales of the more expensive drone. The fact the Mini doesn't have big competition for now is an incentive for them to *not* spend more on it and just capitalise on what they have. When more sub-250g drones will come out from other manufacturers, maybe we'll see a Mini 2 with more features. I'm expecting WB locking (and maybe even WB settings) to appear in the near future on the Mini but I wouldn't hold my breath for full video settings (like shutter speed) and definitely no RAW profiles.
2020-1-23
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Ice_2k Posted at 1-23 05:25
Because probably there's an Air 2 coming and they don't want the Mini cannibalizing the sales of the more expensive drone. The fact the Mini doesn't have big competition for now is an incentive for them to *not* spend more on it and just capitalise on what they have. When more sub-250g drones will come out from other manufacturers, maybe we'll see a Mini 2 with more features. I'm expecting WB locking (and maybe even WB settings) to appear in the near future on the Mini but I wouldn't hold my breath for full video settings (like shutter speed) and definitely no RAW profiles.

Mh, I guess sadly you're absolutely right.
2020-1-23
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-23 02:23
Really?

I feel the same! Mini is great and could be even slightly better...
2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

krfo_dis Posted at 1-23 04:56
Well, not being able to slowly fly over shifting terrain without getting the color balance shift all of a sudden really isn't very nice :/

It is a stable and nice drone in itself, but this specific bug with the camera is really a shame

I found the white balance spot on in 95%, using a white balance card.
Only when rotating and getting the sun in the shot does shift WB, dont take me wrong I want WB lock, and I'm 90% sure they will add it.

All of the "Mavic Air2 is coming" and DJI is not gonna cannibalize the more expensive drones is non sense, also comparing it to Mavic 2... The mini is already crippled by design, motor strength, wifi range, no occusync, sensors, Obstacle Avoidance, no internal memory, no lights, less powerful CPU, 2.7K, 40mb/s bitrate... Manual settings on video or RAW is not making it a Mavic Air or Mavic 2.
2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

virtual Posted at 1-23 07:07
I feel the same! Mini is great and could be even slightly better...

I'm sure that it will!
2020-1-23
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-23 08:01
I found the white balance spot on in 95%, using a white balance card.
Only when rotating and getting the sun in the shot does shift WB, dont take me wrong I want WB lock, and I'm 90% sure they will add it.

I've had the white balance go nuts on my Mavic Mini when I've passed over some light grey cliffs and then continuing over grass/vegetation. When it was adjusted to the cliffs everything looked great and as it did to the eye (vegetation included), but as soon as it decided to readjust the colors of the vegetation went very, very bleak (not as they looked to the eye at all).

The drones orientation did not shift at all during the shot, the only thing that shifted was what was in front of the Mavic Mini.

Sure, it might be a "cheap-ish" drone, but to me it does not make a very good impression on the DJI brand when a lot of shots are ruined this way. Sure, I guess it can be fixed in post with a lot of manual work to compensate for the white balance drifting all over the place, but it really shouldn't be required.

Really hoping for a white balance lock to be added... :/
2020-1-23
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-23 08:01
I found the white balance spot on in 95%, using a white balance card.

"Manual settings on video or RAW is not making it a Mavic Air or Mavic 2."
Very true. Hw of Mini is OK IMPOV, just finetune the sw (mostly with Spark features) and we all will be happy.
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mizzu Posted at 1-23 05:04
Yes. As some other User said in some kind of this Topic.
DJI simply artificially keeps the Mavic Mini in a "lesser quality" product just to hope/ensure that people will  buy the more expensive Products. But they don't understand that for many people (me included) the money doesn't matter but the size and weight.
I don't understand why they destroy their own little Product which doesn't have a big competition on the market at the moment, when they could have the must-have-mini-Drone which is out of any future competition the next months, maybe even years.

I think it’s nothing to do with getting users to purchase higher value items, this will happen anyway, it’s very much in djis interest to keep users happy and wanting them to progress to better equipment, this is the same all over the tech world.
Mini is basically a starter drone so having as much auto on the camera is important as it helps users concentrate on flying and get a good taste for filiming , however I think there are many new flyers that are also enthusiastic photographers and think they can get more from this camera, so I think if it’s a matter of simple FW update then it should be done, not sure it will, but I can tell you I have seen some excellent work produced even though limited to auto from this Drone .
2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

virtual Posted at 1-23 09:29
"Manual settings on video or RAW is not making it a Mavic Air or Mavic 2."
Very true. Hw of Mini is OK IMPOV, just finetune the sw (mostly with Spark features) and we all will be happy.

Exactly, Spark features and some fine tuning, nothing to be worryed for  higher end drones.
2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

krfo_dis Posted at 1-23 08:32
I've had the white balance go nuts on my Mavic Mini when I've passed over some light grey cliffs and then continuing over grass/vegetation. When it was adjusted to the cliffs everything looked great and as it did to the eye (vegetation included), but as soon as it decided to readjust the colors of the vegetation went very, very bleak (not as they looked to the eye at all).

The drones orientation did not shift at all during the shot, the only thing that shifted was what was in front of the Mavic Mini.

What you are describing is exactly why we need WB lock. But this happens to any camera, white balance changes depending in what is in front of the camera, specially what light, shade, sun or not and time of the day... that´s the whole idea behind it, I suffer this a lot since I live in muntain area, with a lot of shades from trees, and vegetation, hard to represent reallity.

All I was saying is that, attempting to correct white balance manually, delivered the same results than Mini suggested, that´s why the Auto WB works much better than other cameras I own. Now we need WB lock, or IMHO even better, just give some Kelvin values and we are done!
2020-1-23
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 1-23 09:34
I think it’s nothing to do with getting users to purchase higher value items, this will happen anyway, it’s very much in djis interest to keep users happy and wanting them to progress to better equipment, this is the same all over the tech world.
Mini is basically a starter drone so having as much auto on the camera is important as it helps users concentrate on flying and get a good taste for filiming , however I think there are many new flyers that are also enthusiastic photographers and think they can get more from this camera, so I think if it’s a matter of simple FW update then it should be done, not sure it will, but I can tell you I have seen some excellent work produced even though limited to auto from this Drone .

This is true, I´ve seen epic stuff done with the mini, and the dynamic range actually allows for some serious editing, I mean, if you expose the shot Ok, there is plenty of info to work with.

I think DJI wants to have happy customers, and even slighty old phones allows for manual control over most functions a prosumer needs in a camera, accesing this values is nothing fancy or advanced for me.

Like you mention correctly, even though the Mini is marketed as an entry level drone, that doesn´t mean that some Pros wont use it, I mean it may be all they need for quite a few years to come!

I think it would be great if they add two main modes, one standard and a "PRO" one, where most of hidden features will deploy, so newbies can have a clean interface for them.
2020-1-23
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good idea. Would love to be able to adjust the WB though preferably.
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-23 11:35
This is true, I´ve seen epic stuff done with the mini, and the dynamic range actually allows for some serious editing, I mean, if you expose the shot Ok, there is plenty of info to work with.

I think DJI wants to have happy customers, and even slighty old phones allows for manual control over most functions a prosumer needs in a camera, accesing this values is nothing fancy or advanced for me.

I am hoping they do something on manual controls, I also think that forum pressure for something like this might help.
2020-1-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the Chinese New Year upon us DJI may go into an even slower mode of operation.  I'm hoping we do get to see a new firmware with several new "features" but I'm betting it may not be until mid February.  
2020-1-23
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

virtual Posted at 1-23 09:29
"Manual settings on video or RAW is not making it a Mavic Air or Mavic 2."

If it at least had the opportunity to lock the WB it would have been fine, actually being allowed to manually set the WB would have been great. As of now it is way to easy to have shots wrecked by WB that changes mid shot.

The only thing that stops this is software, something that could be patched by DJI whenever they want to - which i really, really hope they will add.
2020-1-24
Use props
mrveronn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16093 ft
Canada

Yes, manual white balance or lock please.
2020-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day krfo_dis. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. As of the moment this function on the DJI Fly application is not available but this matter has already been forwarded to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-1-25
Use props
SveinDJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273379 ft
Norway

But this will probably never happend because this is not a "pro" drone
2020-1-25
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

SveinDJI Posted at 1-25 11:24
But this will probably never happend because this is not a "pro" drone

All Maviks are amateur drones. See dji site. Pro drones starts from Inspire.
2020-1-25
Use props
SveinDJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273379 ft
Norway

Dmitry Vishnevskiy Posted at 1-25 11:35
All Maviks are amateur drones. See dji site. Pro drones starts from Inspire.

Yeah i know.. But how can they sell the Air if Mini has all the settings Air got?
2020-1-25
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-25 10:36
Hello and good day krfo_dis. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. As of the moment this function on the DJI Fly application is not available but this matter has already been forwarded to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.

I sure hope this will be fixed, since it actually ruins shots a bit to often to be acceptable. I'm aware it isn't available yet, but it sure should be made available - and the only thing stopping it from happening is DJIs decision to block the capability to lock/set white balance.

It wouldn't make the Mini compete with the Air - since the Air is superior in a lot of other areas.
2020-1-26
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

SveinDJI Posted at 1-25 12:23
Yeah i know.. But how can they sell the Air if Mini has all the settings Air got?

Since the video in the Air has far higher bitrate? Air can shoot in RAW. Air is way faster. Air has superior sensors. And so on...
2020-1-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

krfo_dis Posted at 1-26 04:52
I sure hope this will be fixed, since it actually ruins shots a bit to often to be acceptable. I'm aware it isn't available yet, but it sure should be made available - and the only thing stopping it from happening is DJIs decision to block the capability to lock/set white balance.

It wouldn't make the Mini compete with the Air - since the Air is superior in a lot of other areas.

Thank you for the additional information you have shared with us with regards to this matter. Rest assured that this will be evaluated and assessed by our DJI R&D Team. Again thank you for your support and have a safe flight always.
2020-1-26
Use props
Francoisd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-26 11:25
Thank you for the additional information you have shared with us with regards to this matter. Rest assured that this will be evaluated and assessed by our DJI R&D Team. Again thank you for your support and have a safe flight always.

Hi,

What could be great is to inform users about what new features are in the pipe
2020-1-26
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Francoisd Posted at 1-26 11:35
Hi,

You are talking with dji bots, they will never give you an answer unfortunately
2020-1-26
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

Francoisd Posted at 1-26 11:35
Hi,

Yeah, that would be pretty nice...

In this case a simple "We will add white balance lock and adjustment soon"  would make me happy (as long as it actually is implemented)

As of now, the Mavic Mini really suffers from the poor white balance handling
2020-1-27
Use props
MM_Pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94580 ft
Spain

If you are before purchasing the Mavic Mini: wait to DJI if they add white balance lock or manual settings for video.  If they not, maybe better to check other not dji drones in the same price range.
At the moment with the automatic WB on video, all the footage are garbage. I'm editing it now and i have to say it's a time consuming job to fix the white balance in every 5 or 10 seconds.
I wil wait a month more and if not fixes are coming i'll sell it.   

2020-1-27
Use props
krfo_dis
lvl.2

Sweden

MM_Pro Posted at 1-27 11:46
If you are before purchasing the Mavic Mini: wait to DJI if they add white balance lock or manual settings for video.  If they not, maybe better to check other not dji drones in the same price range.
At the moment with the automatic WB on video, all the footage are garbage. I'm editing it now and i have to say it's a time consuming job to fix the white balance in every 5 or 10 seconds.
I wil wait a month more and if not fixes are coming i'll sell it.

Yeah, going for a painstaking process of manually adjusting the WB in post production every X seconds is not a very pleasing thought...

I agree with you. If I had known what I now know about the WB, I would have waited for a fix before I purchased.
2020-1-28
Use props
Walhalla
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129820 ft
Brazil

FULL-ACK! Quiet a little bit more "freedom" regarding the camera configuration would be great. Agree with others here: if it will not be availlable in some weeks / few months, I will sell the MM again. It is my first DJI -drone - and will be my last. Will stay with Yuneec / Xiaomi - drnes: less money - more functions. Even better: DJI Fly app doesnt work with my Android 10 - devices. I know that it is OT here - but one more reason for me.

Cheers Walhalla
2020-1-28
Use props
Skrajnik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 764623 ft
Slovenia

+1 from me.

Since many of us bought this drone mainly because of video, we expected control over very basic camera functions (WB, shutter, ISO, ....).

This is basic stuff - for even dummiest hand camera on the market!

Please add this option to the app DJI.
2020-1-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules