DJI Firmware update bricked our X5
5554 39 2020-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

I recently went to use our Inspire 1 Pro with Xenmuse X5.  The DJI app said firmware update required.  I chose not to upgrade on that flight as I needed to fly urgently and didn't have time to apply the update.   The next time I went to fly, I applied the update per DJIs insistance.  After the update, I received an image transmission error and couldn't see anything from the camera.  The camera appeared to be bricked per everything I read.  

I sent the camera into DJI and they want $405 to repair it stating it's out of warranty.  I explained it was their bad firmware update that bricked the camera and they should have never stated the update was REQUIRED.   This seems to be a common problem with the Inspire 1 Pro and X5.    We are at a standstill at this point.    DJI should take ownership of their bad updates.  This is in poor taste and makes me consider if DJI should even be considered in our organization going forward.   

2020-1-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, sorry to read and knew about the troubles you've had with your case. We'll forward and seek the attention of the designated team for further assistance. Your patience is highly appreciated.
2020-1-22
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 1-22 10:48
Hi, sorry to read and knew about the troubles you've had with your case. We'll forward and seek the attention of the designated team for further assistance. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Thank you.  I realize the product is older, but it was barely used and worked fine until we applied the firmware update.     It's a slap in the face after spending so much money on the Inspire and Xenmuse to have it turn into a paperweight.     Thanks again for your help and let me know if you want my service quotation number.   
2020-1-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 11:05
Thank you.  I realize the product is older, but it was barely used and worked fine until we applied the firmware update.     It's a slap in the face after spending so much money on the Inspire and Xenmuse to have it turn into a paperweight.     Thanks again for your help and let me know if you want my service quotation number.

How do you brick an X5?  I was on an X3 and had to turn it off a bunch of times as I had no idea if it was working and it updated to the right firmware no problem but I think I was on the wrong firmware for a model as I think the 1 and Pro as different.  I put the Pro one on and it worked but never turned it off during but some had and they said it was ok.
2020-1-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 11:05
Thank you.  I realize the product is older, but it was barely used and worked fine until we applied the firmware update.     It's a slap in the face after spending so much money on the Inspire and Xenmuse to have it turn into a paperweight.     Thanks again for your help and let me know if you want my service quotation number.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have it. I was able to see it using your DJI Forum account. I'll send you a message once I have the Feedback from the Facility. Thank you!
2020-1-22
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-22 12:11
How do you brick an X5?  I was on an X3 and had to turn it off a bunch of times as I had no idea if it was working and it updated to the right firmware no problem but I think I was on the wrong firmware for a model as I think the 1 and Pro as different.  I put the Pro one on and it worked but never turned it off during but some had and they said it was ok.

I'm really not sure how it bricked.  I performed the upgrade per the DJI App and it no longer worked.  Did some research online and I saw quite a few people had the issue and had to send it in to get fixed.   I was quoted $405 to repair the X5.
2020-1-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 13:20
I'm really not sure how it bricked.  I performed the upgrade per the DJI App and it no longer worked.  Did some research online and I saw quite a few people had the issue and had to send it in to get fixed.   I was quoted $405 to repair the X5.

You are supposed to update it by uploading the firmware to a MicroSD w/ the proper format then you turn the Inspire on and let it update on its own.
https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x5/info#downloads

I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to firmware update the controller too or updating the firmware through the drone first makes the other stuff update as well.  My Inspire 1 Pro (X3) wouldn't work until I got the proper firmware on.  I think it was trying to update with X5 firmware on an X3 camera and it didn't work.
2020-1-22
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 1-22 12:31
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have it. I was able to see it using your DJI Forum account. I'll send you a message once I have the Feedback from the Facility. Thank you!

Just wanted to let you know I received an updated price to repair of 342.55 (includes a courtesy 15% discount).    This still seems very wrong.   
2020-1-22
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-22 14:53
You are supposed to update it by uploading the firmware to a MicroSD w/ the proper format then you turn the Inspire on and let it update on its own.
https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x5/info#downloadshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As_ARCCI33c

I went through that process and it failed to update.   If you look at the debug file, it shows
[000nnnnn][15 00][00] device not detected.
[000nnnnn][08 00][00] device not detected.
all signs point to sending this into DJI for repair.   
2020-1-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 15:55
Just wanted to let you know I received an updated price to repair of 342.55 (includes a courtesy 15% discount).    This still seems very wrong.

What device did you update the drone with?
2020-1-22
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-22 16:07
What device did you update the drone with?

I can't recall 100% how it all went down.  I just remember the App saying an update was required and I proceeded with that update from the app.   After putting that update on,  functionality stopped.  Then at some point I used the Inspire 1 Pro Firmware v1.11.1.50 from DJI's website and installed that via the SD card.    That's when I saw the previous errors and contacted DJI for help.   
2020-1-22
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-22 14:53
You are supposed to update it by uploading the firmware to a MicroSD w/ the proper format then you turn the Inspire on and let it update on its own.
https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x5/info#downloadshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As_ARCCI33c

Thank you.  I have gone through the SD Card firmware update with proper formatting on the SD Card, but the debug file shows

[000nnnnn][08 00][00] device not detected.

which is an error supposedly only DJI can fix.   
2020-1-22
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 18:47
Thank you.  I have gone through the SD Card firmware update with proper formatting on the SD Card, but the debug file shows

Be sure to use the correct firmware file.
If you have an X3 attached use WM610_FW_V01.11.01.50.bin
Inspire 1 pro with X5 uses WM610_FC550_FW_V01.11.01.50.bin
2020-1-22
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

Keule Posted at 1-22 19:26
Be sure to use the correct firmware file.
If you have an X3 attached use WM610_FW_V01.11.01.50.bin
Inspire 1 pro with X5 uses WM610_FC550_FW_V01.11.01.50.bin

Thank you.   I did use the FC550 firmware.   It's my understanding that if DJI can fix the issue by simply installing the firmware, the repair is nowhere near the cost they are quoting me.  
2020-1-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 18:46
I can't recall 100% how it all went down.  I just remember the App saying an update was required and I proceeded with that update from the app.   After putting that update on,  functionality stopped.  Then at some point I used the Inspire 1 Pro Firmware v1.11.1.50 from DJI's website and installed that via the SD card.    That's when I saw the previous errors and contacted DJI for help.

What smartphone/tablet?

Maybe you had to put the X3 back on the Inspire 1 Pro then do it again w/ the X5?  Maybe your controller needs to be updated with DJI Assistant but I'm not even sure if that even got detected when I tried doing it.
2020-1-22
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 19:28
Thank you.   I did use the FC550 firmware.   It's my understanding that if DJI can fix the issue by simply installing the firmware, the repair is nowhere near the cost they are quoting me.

Can you post your complete upgrade log file?
2020-1-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Love2Run Posted at 1-22 15:55

We're sorry to read your frustrations. However, this has been escalated with a higher level of support for further assistance. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
2020-1-23
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

Keule Posted at 1-22 23:53
Can you post your complete upgrade log file?

Sorry for delay, busy week at work and not home for another week.  I’ll see if I kept a copy of the SD Card contents when I get home.  DJI says the firmware update did not brick the Xenmuse.  I asked how they knew and he said if the firmware bricked it, then all customers would have bricked zenmuse and would be complaining.  That seems like a flawed way of thinking.   Right now they are sticking to 15% discount or returning the dead camera.   Penny wise and pound foolish on their part.
2020-1-28
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 1-28 10:50
Sorry for delay, busy week at work and not home for another week.  I’ll see if I kept a copy of the SD Card contents when I get home.  DJI says the firmware update did not brick the Xenmuse.  I asked how they knew and he said if the firmware bricked it, then all customers would have bricked zenmuse and would be complaining.  That seems like a flawed way of thinking.   Right now they are sticking to 15% discount or returning the dead camera.   Penny wise and pound foolish on their part.

I don't think you can brick DJI hardware.  You should've tried installing X3 firmware on the Inspire 1 Pro, then redoing the install on the X5 or at least trying to downgrade then upgrade.  I thought I super bricked the Smart Controller but doing some steps made it work perfectly.  I also thought I super bricked the Inspire 1 Pro (X3) too.
2020-1-28
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-28 20:35
I don't think you can brick DJI hardware.  You should've tried installing X3 firmware on the Inspire 1 Pro, then redoing the install on the X5 or at least trying to downgrade then upgrade.  I thought I super bricked the Smart Controller but doing some steps made it work perfectly.  I also thought I super bricked the Inspire 1 Pro (X3) too.

The inspire drone seems to operate okay without the camera and is on the most current version.  Are you saying I should install X3 software on the drone without camera on it?   DJI insists the board in the X5 needs to be fixed, so they feel like there is an issue with the X5.   
2020-1-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 1-30 11:05
The inspire drone seems to operate okay without the camera and is on the most current version.  Are you saying I should install X3 software on the drone without camera on it?   DJI insists the board in the X5 needs to be fixed, so they feel like there is an issue with the X5.

I'm not sure if the Inspire 1 Pro is even updated.  With the X3 it will update the aircraft then that should pave the way for the X5 to be updated properly.  If that doesn't work then you are screwed.
2020-1-30
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-30 19:18
I'm not sure if the Inspire 1 Pro is even updated.  With the X3 it will update the aircraft then that should pave the way for the X5 to be updated properly.  If that doesn't work then you are screwed.

Yes, I believe the X1 was updated without issue.  See this picture, shows most current version.

2020-2-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 2-2 08:09
Yes, I believe the X1 was updated without issue.  See this picture, shows most current version.

[view_image]

yeah, what did you decide to do?
2020-2-2
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

Love2Run Posted at 1-28 10:50

I just got home and am following up on this.  DJI is still insisting the firmware is fine and none of their other customers have had this issue.  Here is a link to a forum where others experienced the same thing: other folks with this issue.

DJI fixed it for at least one of them.   

One item to note, the Xenmuse X5 probably had 10 hours or less of use on it and it worked perfectly fine until the firmware update.  
2020-2-2
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 2-2 08:22
yeah, what did you decide to do?

I'm going to continue working with DJI and see if they will change their stance.  To take the stance that the firmware is okay because it worked for most customers isn't right.  If you go to inspirepilots.com, you can find examples of X5 bricking and DJI fixing it for free (out of warranty).   
2020-2-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Love2Run Posted at 2-2 08:36
I'm going to continue working with DJI and see if they will change their stance.  To take the stance that the firmware is okay because it worked for most customers isn't right.  If you go to inspirepilots.com, you can find examples of X5 bricking and DJI fixing it for free (out of warranty).

I think that's why when I asked to purchase the X5 from the seller who sold me the Inspire 1 Pro with X3 he wouldn't say anything.
2020-2-2
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is there any reaction or sound from the X5 gimbal when you boot the aircraft, and does it read a pre recorded sd card, will it transmit that image?
2020-2-3
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

mixchief Posted at 2-3 00:49
Is there any reaction or sound from the X5 gimbal when you boot the aircraft, and does it read a pre recorded sd card, will it transmit that image?

Yes, the gimbal/camera moves around upon boot.  I don't know about the other part as DJI has the X5 right now.  
2020-2-3
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 1-23 08:25
We're sorry to read your frustrations. However, this has been escalated with a higher level of support for further assistance. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Diana,

Are you able to ask your group if they'd be willing to charge $175 to fix the issue?   There should be some goodwill as the camera worked before the firmware update.   Thank you.  
2020-2-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Love2Run Posted at 2-19 11:39
Diana,

Are you able to ask your group if they'd be willing to charge $175 to fix the issue?   There should be some goodwill as the camera worked before the firmware update.   Thank you.

Hi, I do apologize for what happened and for the whole situation. Please do understand that we consider your satisfaction and to provide the support as far as possible, however, we still have policies to abide.
2020-2-19
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2-19 15:41
Hi, I do apologize for what happened and for the whole situation. Please do understand that we consider your satisfaction and to provide the support as far as possible, however, we still have policies to abide.

I find it interesting that there are examples of what happened to me on the Internet where DJI fixed the issue at no charge.  I'm willing to pay part of it, but there has to be some type of Goodwill for a device as expensive as that.   Again, I only performed the upgrade because DJI's own app said the firmware update was required.  How can you not see that how DJI is handling this is wrong???
2020-2-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Love2Run Posted at 2-19 16:05
I find it interesting that there are examples of what happened to me on the Internet where DJI fixed the issue at no charge.  I'm willing to pay part of it, but there has to be some type of Goodwill for a device as expensive as that.   Again, I only performed the upgrade because DJI's own app said the firmware update was required.  How can you not see that how DJI is handling this is wrong???

Hi, I believe our repair team already offers you a good deal discount. We understand that the repair cost is unexpected but as much as we want to cover everything, DJI has the policy to comply with the same with all the other companies. Hoping for your understanding.
2020-2-20
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2-20 07:48
Hi, I believe our repair team already offers you a good deal discount for 15%. We understand that the repair cost is unexpected but as much as we want to cover everything, DJI has the policy to comply with the same with all the other companies. Hoping for your understanding.

15% discount for something ruined by your software update is not reasonable.    Please offer something higher such as 30%.  That shows good faith on your part and shows you stand behind your products.
2020-2-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Love2Run Posted at 2-20 08:00
15% discount for something ruined by your software update is not reasonable.    Please offer something higher such as 30%.  That shows good faith on your part and shows you stand behind your products.

Hi, sorry for the late response. We will try again to coordinate this case to the Facility and send you a message once we received a Feedback. Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thanks for your patience.
2020-2-24
Use props
Love2Run
lvl.1

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2-24 12:17
Hi, sorry for the late response. We will try again to coordinate this case to the Facility and send you a message once we received a Feedback. Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thanks for your patience.

Diana,  Thank you so very much.  
2020-2-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Love2Run Posted at 2-24 12:23

You're most welcome. If anything else, please let us know.
2020-2-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Love2Run Posted at 2-24 12:23

Hi, Greetings from DJI. I may be able to get back to you by Friday the case is still under investigation. Please wait patiently. Thank you.
2020-2-25
Use props
cgdouradohotmail.com
lvl.1

Brazil

Love2Run Posted at 2-2 08:32
I just got home and am following up on this.  DJI is still insisting the firmware is fine and none of their other customers have had this issue.  Here is a link to a forum where others experienced the same thing: other folks with this issue.

DJI fixed it for at least one of them.   

I have exactly same issue.
2020-4-11
Use props
ChiukiAmsterdam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7163576 ft

Netherlands

I have exactly the same issue also. Perfectly fine until the latest 1.11 FW update. Now everything went crazy and LOG shows 6 items "not detected" during the update proceedure. How is this even possible that a FW update can render my drone inoperable?
2020-8-30
Use props
dec11ad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3993281 ft

United States

i have the same issue with my x5. nearly brand new gimbal now after trying to downgrade firmare the x5 went limp and seems dead. although still you can still hear it boot and lights flashing. wouod be interested in a solution that would unbrick my x5. x3 still works.
2021-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules