4611 19 2020-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sailfisher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153753 ft
United States

Good afternoon.
I am helping sell drones and helis belnging to a cousin  that passed away last Fall. I am familiar with Phantom Products and own a P3S.
His P2V (not plus) was working with telemertry to the App except had no video feed for photos or video. Have seen all the info on how to fix a P2V+ but nothing of value for the non plus. All else on the App worked fine.
He had bought a new Range Extender so thinking that could be the problem I attempted to bind the new one. Getting to and past the scan the QR code successfully, checking the blue check mark resulted in no further activity. RE did not automatically restart. Tried android phone and pad, both of which worked to take pics before this event. Tried all the sequences one could imagine, turning off then on, with transmitter on and off, yu name it I tried it.

Went back to the old RE, could not bind that either. Tried all the scenarios again. Tried 2 verdsions of the APP (oldest and newest found at phantomhelp). So now I cannot use the App at all.

Bird still works with the remote as it iss supposed to

Is this a fatal issue, perhaps with the camera?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Alan.

2020-1-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Hi Alan,

When the egg camera loses the video but retains telemetry, it almost certainly means the NAND chip in the egg has failed and the egg is almost worthless in that it cannot be repaired.  Replacing the RE won't help.  If you want live FPV, the only fix is to replace the egg with a correctly working egg.  

RE your RE binding problem, I have to wonder if your mobile device is compatible with the system?

I don't like using the QR code.  It's awkard and cumbersome.  You simply need the MAC address.  If you're lucky, it'll be on a sticker on the side of the egg.  Probably not.  So you can get it with the QR code or with a wifi analyzer.  It's much easier to use a wifi analyzer to get the MAC address of the egg.  Write it down and keep it somewhere for next time.  Then just type it in manually when it's time to do the binding.  Then press the blue check mark twice.  

You must click the blue check mark twice.  Could that be the problem?  After you enter the MAC address, you tap on the blue check mark.  The little circle should spin up in the middle of the screen, then go away.  Then you must click the blue check mark a second time.  Then wait.  You should then get a message saying "binding failed" or "binding successful", I'm paraphrasing.  

If it was "binding failed", then back up and try entering the MAC again.   This is not unusual.  The second time it will work.  

If it was "binding successful" then the RE will reboot.  And then you can go to the camera screen and all should be well if the egg is working properly.  

2020-1-22
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-22 12:11
Hi Alan,

When the egg camera loses the video but retains telemetry, it almost certainly means the NAND chip in the egg has failed and the egg is almost worthless in that it cannot be repaired.  Replacing the RE won't help.  If you want live FPV, the only fix is to replace the egg with a correctly working egg.  

Ha...did not press the blue check twice...I'll try that tonight. Yes, both the phone and pad are compatible because I have flown the drone with both.
At least it would have telemetry and camera and video-taking functions, which is better than nothing.
Thanks Mark!! I'll report back tomorrow!!
2020-1-22
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-22 12:11
Hi Alan,

When the egg camera loses the video but retains telemetry, it almost certainly means the NAND chip in the egg has failed and the egg is almost worthless in that it cannot be repaired.  Replacing the RE won't help.  If you want live FPV, the only fix is to replace the egg with a correctly working egg.  

No luck Mark.
Did it all exactly like the video and every time (maybe 20 times since yesterday) the swirling circle step after the second step blue check mark never happens and the screen goes to the menu...just like video says it is not supposed to do. So I go to the bind screen, manually enter the MAC address a second time, same thing. Third time going to the bind screen and I get the unsuccessful screen...tried it with both REs at lease 3 times in different places inside the house to try to get away from my wifi signal.

2020-1-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

You're definitely resetting the RE so that it is ready to bind, right?  That is the very first step.  You have to use a paper clip to poke into the hole.  If so,

Let's make sure you have a wifi signal coming from the egg.  Use a wifi analyzer (download free) to be sure there is a signal coming from the egg when you turn it on.  Keep the RE off, turn on the AC, give it 45 secs to boot, look on the wifi analyzer for a wifi signal with a MAC that starts with 60601F...…

If there isn't one, that would explain why you can't bind...

2020-1-22
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-22 17:18
You're definitely resetting the RE so that it is ready to bind, right?  That is the very first step.  You have to use a paper clip to poke into the hole.  If so,

Let's make sure you have a wifi signal coming from the egg.  Use a wifi analyzer (download free) to be sure there is a signal coming from the egg when you turn it on.  Keep the RE off, turn on the AC, give it 45 secs to boot, look on the wifi analyzer for a wifi signal with a MAC that starts with 60601F...…

Yes. Followed the written and video insyructions step by step. Yes I have wifi analyzer and have the correct MAC address. BTW i have the original box with the qr code...all the same numbers.
2020-1-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Sorry but there's nothing left to try.  I've done dozens of these and if it doesn't bind there is always a reason - usually no wifi coming from the drone.  With yours there doesn't seem to be a reason.  The only thing I can think of is there is an incompatibility with your mobile device.  
2020-1-23
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-23 03:09
Sorry but there's nothing left to try.  I've done dozens of these and if it doesn't bind there is always a reason - usually no wifi coming from the drone.  With yours there doesn't seem to be a reason.  The only thing I can think of is there is an incompatibility with your mobile device.

Thanks, Mark. Got to be something like that. You are aware that I flew the bird and used this device, a Samsung Galaxy S7, with all functions less the video feed, before I tried binding to the new RE, right? And my pad is an Nvidia Shield K1 that worked, too, and also runs the Go App for my P3S and another P3A.

Only other anomalies could be a partially charged main battery or wifi interference.

What I fear is that the same thing keeping the video feed from working is preventing the binding/rebinding. Should have just left it alone. It is now more worthless than it was.

I'll post the results of anything else I try.

Thanks again,
Alan
2020-1-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Oh.  The K1 is awesome with this system, it's the one I use.  I'm out of ideas unless you're in the DC area and want to drive over here.  Sorry.  
2020-1-23
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-23 10:02
Oh.  The K1 is awesome with this system, it's the one I use.  I'm out of ideas unless you're in the DC area and want to drive over here.  Sorry.

Thank you, am in NC.

The one thing I notice about the video instructions and your step by step in another post is to  turn on the RE and put it in bind mode with everything else off, wait, turn on the bird, wait, then open the app and go thru that routine. I may not have done that precise sequence. Transmitter on or off during all this?

I'll also try with my wife's iPhone.
2020-1-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Transmitter - the big 5.8 ghz controller - it has nothing to do with any of this.  You can keep it off.

Otherwise, the other stuff - the order of it - doesn't matter in my experience.  And I've done dozens.  I usually turn on the RE first, let it boot up, then reset it, let it boot up again, and while it's booting up the second time, turn on the AC and the K1.  Wait.  After everything is booted up, do the binding.  

Just follow the video step by step.  Listen to everything he says.  It's better than anything I can type out.  It's the best video on the internet for this.   It works.  
2020-1-23
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-23 11:29
Transmitter - the big 5.8 ghz controller - it has nothing to do with any of this.  You can keep it off.

Otherwise, the other stuff - the order of it - doesn't matter in my experience.  And I've done dozens.  I usually turn on the RE first, let it boot up, then reset it, let it boot up again, and while it's booting up the second time, turn on the AC and the K1.  Wait.  After everything is booted up, do the binding.  

Still no luck. Every time the blue check hit there is an immediate flash to a white screen for an instant and back to the menu screen. Never ever a hint of the "wait" swirl like you get after manually entering the MAC address.

The only remaining question is "Has anyone bound or re-bound a RE with an egg that is known to have the NAND chip failure?"

Until I get a yes there is nothing else to try.
2020-1-23
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Sailfisher Posted at 1-23 17:00
Still no luck. Every time the blue check hit there is an immediate flash to a white screen for an instant and back to the menu screen. Never ever a hint of the "wait" swirl like you get after manually entering the MAC address.

The only remaining question is "Has anyone bound or re-bound a RE with an egg that is known to have the NAND chip failure?"

Success first time try with iPhone i7. Incredible that the Android software will not perform the bind function but will work fine once bound by other means.

Mark of course was 100% right nailing the issue to compatibility. I wonder what Android phones and pads you can bind with, older or newer than S7?

Back to where I was, all good.

Thanks again, Mark. You are the man.
2020-1-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Sailfisher Posted at 1-23 17:00

The only remaining question is "Has anyone bound or re-bound a RE with an egg that is known to have the NAND chip failure?"

Yes, I have bound and rebound an RE with an egg with known NAND failure many times using my Android K1.  No problems.  I still don't know why yours didn't work.  Maybe you have not enough memory?  My K1 has a SD card in it which makes it think it has more internal memory.  Maybe that is the problem?  And btw I just flew my P2V this afternoon with my K1.  Still flies and everything still works like new.  Thanks for your kind words.
2020-1-23
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-23 18:04
Yes, I have bound and rebound an RE with an egg with known NAND failure many times using my Android K1.  No problems.  I still don't know why yours didn't work.  Maybe you have not enough memory?  My K1 has a SD card in it which makes it think it has more memory.  Maybe that is the problem?  And btw I just flew my P2V this afternoon with my K1.  Still flies and everything works like new.  Thanks for your kind words.

Well only the shadow knows. I have an 8GB SD card in the K1, too. Phone did not work either, and should have. Craig operated it with an IPad, maybe it has an aversion to Androids...
2020-1-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I just checked - mine is a 64 GB SD card.  There is a way to seamlessly convert some of the external memory of the SD card to internal memory - it's an option when you install the SD card.  Maybe that is the difference.  
2020-1-23
Use props
Sailfisher
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-23 19:03
I just checked - mine is a 64 GB SD card.  There is a way to seamlessly convert some of the external memory of the SD card to internal memory - it's an option when you install the SD card.  Maybe that is the difference.

My phone has 20GB available  plus additional RAM. Gotta be a setting, nothing requires that, even loading a new operating system on a PC!!
2020-1-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Sailfisher Posted at 1-24 04:33
My phone has 20GB available  plus additional RAM. Gotta be a setting, nothing requires that, even loading a new operating system on a PC!!

We know many of the modern mobile devices aren't compatible with the older DJI systems.  The mystery is why your Nvidia Shield K1 doesn't want to bind while my Nvidia Shield K1 binds wonderfully.  My Nvidia Shield K1 is Android v 6.0.1.  Android security patch level July 1, 2016.  Kernel version 3.10.67+ Oct 23, 2016.  Shield tablet software version 1.5
2020-1-24
Use props
PNW Paul
New

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2020-1-24 05:57
We know many of the modern mobile devices aren't compatible with the older DJI systems.  The mystery is why your Nvidia Shield K1 doesn't want to bind while my Nvidia Shield K1 binds wonderfully.  My Nvidia Shield K1 is Android v 6.0.1.  Android security patch level July 1, 2016.  Kernel version 3.10.67+ Oct 23, 2016.  Shield tablet software version 1.5

The idea that the solution to the failure to bind is to double tap the blue check is bad advice.  It does nothing, and is not part of DJI's instruction set.  The advice from Sailfish, above, is the solution, at least in my case.  I tried a dozen times over a week, using the app installed on my Android 9 device, to no avail.  I dragged out an old tablet running Android 4.4, installed the app, and the camera bonded to the RE on the first try.  Apparently you need to use a device that is nearer to the age of the quad in order for the application's binding function to be effective.
2021-12-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

You are correct in that double tapping the blue check doesn't do anything.  The procedure is to tap the blue check once.  Then wait for a few seconds while the little circle spins around.  This first tap apparently moves the MAC address which had been typed into the mobile device from the mobile device to the range extender where it is recorded.  Once the little circle stops spinning around, you then must tap the blue check a second time.  This second tap apparently performs the check to be sure the MAC address recorded in the RE and the MAC address in the wifi module on the drone are one and the same.  And if they are, you then get a "Binding successful" message.  Turner showed this very clearly in the video in post #2.  Just follow the video.  It's the best demonstration of P2 binding on the internet.  And yes, the modern mobile devices won't work for these old P2 devices.  Turner further explains in his comments area that binding won't work with Android 7.0 or above.  Good luck and don't forget to have fun!  

2021-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules