Omni-directional Video Mic & Osmo Action
731 0 2020-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi. Here's one of my prelim tests and the blurb from the YouTube description.

Before I get into this, I have no idea why the Action's picture was so soft. This had nothing to do with my locking off of the exposure and/or the white balance. I've noticed a few oddities with the Action since the last firmware update and not least of all the stabilisation being less effective.

This is one of my preliminary microphone test videos. In this video I'm using a Rode VideoMicro that has been modified. The modification I've done here is to remove the cardioid ECM capsule from the RODE Video Micro and replace it with an omni-directional ECM capsule, the capsule being the Primo EM172.

While you wouldn't usually associate an omni polar pattern, or pick up pattern with a dialogue microphone or video type microphone, for use as an on body camera vlogging mic. Due to the fact that an omni mic of any description will pick up everything around the mic, dialogue and all other sounds around. In the appropriate environments, such as locations that don't have too many distracting sounds such as traffic or typical city sounds, an omni can actually be a better option for dialogue recording. An omni is also better for giving the listener a sense of the location and they also make for excellent atmos mics.

In general a good omni microphone/capsule will better a similarly priced cardioid one on a number of levels. Omnis can tend to have a wider frequency response which can directly have a positive effect on overall tone and can sound both fuller and more open. Omnis usually exhibit very good SPL and self noise characteristics and are usually very good with regard sensitivity as well.

To my surprise, this microphone actually works extremely well with the Action and the Cynova interface once the signal has been gained in post, due to the low recording level which is a result of the Action/Cynova interface and not the microphone. In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is probably the best dialogue tone that I've heard on the Action from any video type microphone. Although this recording is very good, the combination of the Action and Cynova is still lacking on a number of levels.

Once I've run a few more tests with this modified mic I will do a couple of full review videos with it using the Action, Hero 8 and my Sony FDR-AX100.

Please let me know in the comments what you thought.

Cheers,
Dave.

2020-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules