Combining Pix4D and Drone Deploy Problem
931 7 2020-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elfeia
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Hi all,

I am flying a DJI Phantom 4 Pro and I have a problem with post-processing. There is a large set of photos (around 11 000) but half of them are taken with Pix4D mobile app, and the other half – with Drone Deploy. The problem occurs when I align photos with Agisoft Photoscan or Pix4D Mapper software. Is there somebody who successfully has combined images from both mobile applications? The problem is in vertical position.
Thank you in advance.

2020-1-22
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Use TagFixer from MapsMadeEasy to adjust altitude data in images
https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/tag_fixer
2020-1-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried ODM? - https://www.opendronemap.org/webodm/
2020-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is a large set of photos (around 11 000) but half of them are taken with Pix4D mobile app, and the other half – with Drone Deploy.
... The problem is in vertical position.

It shouldn't matter which app was used to fly the drone when you collected the images.
The app doesn't add anything to the metadata on the images.

The altitude metadata is independent of the app and is the same as what the camera provides when flying without any mapping app.

Have you tried stitching just a small sub-set of your mixed images?  
Say 200 to see how that goes?
2020-1-23
Use props
Elfeia
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Keule, DAFlys I will have a look at TagFixer and OpenDrone Map.
It shouldn't matter which app was used to fly the drone when you collected the images.
The app doesn't add anything to the metadata on the images - I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, I have tried to bind two missions taken with both apps (around 400 image) with GCPs but the problem persists – there is around 1 m difference in altitude in the common area – it looks like there are both aligned but separately.
I attach a gif that shows the discrepancy:

Afterwards, I created 2 different projects with GCPs (one containing photos derived with Pix4D, and other containing photos obtained with Drone Deploy). After creating the dense cloud I compare altitudes of points included in both projects – the difference was between 15 and 20 cm.
Now I am thinking of processing images from both apps separately and try to combine the dense clouds before creating DTM and orthophoto. Although in my opinion this ’solution’  is not very beneficial for achieving an accurate model due to GCPs location:

But I still have a concern about common areas – I am not sure how to make them match.
2020-1-23
Use props
Elfeia
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Note: The different colors represent missions flied with different apps.
2020-1-23
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Elfeia Posted at 1-23 07:23
Note: The different colors represent missions flied with different apps.

If you really only want to change altitude references, you can do it with PIX4D.
Export the affected image EXIF set to .CSV. In Excel change the altitude field according to your need and save it, then import the updated data set back into PIX4D

2020-1-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this inquiry. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules