Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First flight. Shaky video from 0:51-1:18
682 15 2020-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was my very first flight with the Mavic Mini and I really hope the shaky video was only due to the wind. I'll be reviewing and editing more video tomorrow to see if this was a one time thing.

2020-1-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Fixed the video link
2020-1-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmmm, I don’t believe Ive seen mine do that?  What’s the temp up there right now?  Maybe it’s related.  I haven’t flown the mini too much since I got my Skydio.  
2020-1-23
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Looks a good video, yes minor shaking but I put this down to the cold !!
What mode were you using?
What was the temperature?
2020-1-23
Use props
42Neil
lvl.3
United States

Looks like vibration (due to wind and/or motor vibration) not being damped out fully by the gimbal, probably due to the cold conditions.

As I understand it, part of the gimbal mechanism is a rubber mount, and in cold conditions this rubber will be less flexible and therefore may not provide the level of damping that it would in normal operating temperatures.  If if shows the same behavior as this in warm conditions, I'd be worried. If not, I think its just a case of operating it in conditions it wasn't designed for.
2020-1-23
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

i've seen a few reviews where the gimbal was no longer dampening the vibrations due to very cold conditions. What was the temperature when you were flying?
2020-1-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-23 06:01
Hmmm, I don’t believe Ive seen mine do that?  What’s the temp up there right now?  Maybe it’s related.  I haven’t flown the mini too much since I got my Skydio.

People in the mavicpilots forum are saying it's a temp problem. I hope that's all it is
2020-1-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 1-23 06:32
i've seen a few reviews where the gimbal was no longer dampening the vibrations due to very cold conditions. What was the temperature when you were flying?

Don't remember but it was pretty cold. All the other DJI drones are champs at Sub zero temps. Wish this little guy could perform like it's big brothers.
2020-1-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

42Neil Posted at 1-23 06:26
Looks like vibration (due to wind and/or motor vibration) not being damped out fully by the gimbal, probably due to the cold conditions.

As I understand it, part of the gimbal mechanism is a rubber mount, and in cold conditions this rubber will be less flexible and therefore may not provide the level of damping that it would in normal operating temperatures.  If if shows the same behavior as this in warm conditions, I'd be worried. If not, I think its just a case of operating it in conditions it wasn't designed for.

I'll have to wait until Spring to test at warmer temps. But until then I'll wait for a cold day with no wind to try and replicate the shake.
2020-1-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 1-23 06:23
Looks a good video, yes minor shaking but I put this down to the cold !!
What mode were you using?
What was the temperature?

Also a good point. I think it was only shaking in Sport mode. I'll see if it goes away at slower speeds.
2020-1-23
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Vid started out smooth and fine. Did notice that it was snowing lightly. Maybe the props started to ice up, (seems to start midway into flight) and that can cause a prop balance issue, causing vibrations/jello effect.
Seen that in a few posts...
2020-1-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Flycaster Posted at 1-23 07:35
Vid started out smooth and fine. Did notice that it was snowing lightly. Maybe the props started to ice up, (seems to start midway into flight) and that can cause a prop balance issue, causing vibrations/jello effect.
Seen that in a few posts...

There was no ice on the props. However I was fighting the wind at that point.
2020-1-23
Use props
djiuser_kGTtPkgkqBXa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78799 ft
United States

Bing Err Posted at 1-23 07:56
There was no ice on the props. However I was fighting the wind at that point.

During fight with wind might flip over in that split of a second cause MM to stall this is all i can think of.
2020-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s a cold problem, just as a BTW did you notice any involuntary decrease or increase in altitude also being reported due to cold weather .
2020-1-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-23 09:45
That’s a cold problem, just as a BTW did you notice any involuntary decrease or increase in altitude also being reported due to cold weather .

I did but it wasn't as obvious as the shake.
2020-1-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cool, you got one!
2020-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now