740 7 2020-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wr6warren
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Good afternoon,

This is my first post here so go gentle please

Ive just recently sold my P3A with the aim of buying something smaller, I'm big into my photography but carrying around my camera gear then a total seperate backpack for the P3 was becoming tiresome. So I'm looking to get myself a used Mavic Air as this can just go in the camera bag!  

I'm just wondering what would be considered "high miles" as such. Would one with 22hrs flight time and 30-ish charges per battery put anyone off? Would this likely do me a couple of years of light use?

Many thanks!

2020-1-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and welcome to DJI Forum. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members here in Forum. Thank you for your valued support!
2020-1-23
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

The mavic air is a good choice for trips. You carry it in a small backpack.
2020-1-23
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would also consider the Mini. You could get a new Fly More for around the same price as the used air. Just depends on what you need. Can fly in a lot more counties, much quieter, longer flight time smaller and lighter. Air gives you collision avoidance, active track, 4k and some other features. Either way you can't really go wrong.
2020-1-23
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

If you like photography then it's mavic pro or air, the mini just doesn't cut it for stills.

In terms of buying used, batteries are the real gamble here, props I would replace with new ones to be safe.  You still carry a risk with the motors but batteries and props will be your main concern.
2020-1-24
Use props
wr6warren
lvl.1

United Kingdom

@QQRUCH yes, that's exactly my plan

@Shantok I want to have some smart modes such as the follow me etc, otherwise yes I would be jumping all over a mini!

@Ridg Yeah, being able to shoot in RAW would be quite important to me, and yeah I've seen a few forum posts saying about swollen batteries etc.

What I really want is a few good videos of scenery, a few follow me shots of the cars (going on a few trips soon). Theres a few Sparks for sale, for about half the price or less than an Air fly more. I know it doesn't do RAW, but would it cover my needs....
2020-1-24
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ridg Posted at 1-24 06:49
If you like photography then it's mavic pro or air, the mini just doesn't cut it for stills.

In terms of buying used, batteries are the real gamble here, props I would replace with new ones to be safe.  You still carry a risk with the motors but batteries and props will be your main concern.

I beg to differ on the stills. Not close to the M2P and it can't shoot raw. However with some adjustments and filters it can take some really good pictures. What I have found it is more fun to fly over my Air. I am getting almost twice is far before it starts to break up and the batteries last way longer. My Air gets the least amount of flight time of all my Mavics. Its just heavy enough I'd rather take my Mavic 2 Pro. When traveling light I'd go with the mini. Can't take anything heavier than the Mini in a lot of countries. Mexico and Canada included.  

I agree on changing the props. I have a few battering with 30-50 cycles on them and I am getting about the same flight time or slightly less. Have the seller fly it so you can see if it flies well. Check for errors that show in the app. Look for signs of a crash. This is fine if you buy local. If you buy online on ebay its a bit more of a challenge. Could send it back if its not as advertised but a pain.  I purchased my Air and a P4P used from B&H. The great thing is if you have any issues they are quick to resolve. I am sure there are a few dealers with the same service..

Mavi Mini

Mavi Mini
2020-1-24
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

wr6warren Posted at 1-24 08:40
@QQRUCH yes, that's exactly my plan  

@Shantok I want to have some smart modes such as the follow me etc, otherwise yes I would be jumping all over a mini!

Spark only has a 2 axis gimble and a very short flight time.  Ridg had mentioned the Mavic Pro. They are another great option. Way more range and battery life. Has more flight modes. Only really loose the rear avoidance sensors. Can get a used one for 500-700 depending on if its a platinum or what comes with it.
2020-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules