Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
casellini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108 ft
Germany

Hello,

I habe a Mavic 2 Pro.

On a construction site, I would like to take each day a photo from the same spot (same altitude, same direction and camera tilt).

At the end of costruciton I should be able to create an animation by displaying all photos one after the other in 1 second interval.

To be able to do so, all photos must bepretty precisely from the same altitude and direction to be able to superimpose all images.

Starting from the same spot and reaching the same altitude every day, that is easy. But direction and camera tilt are the issue

Any idean on how to do this?

Regards

Norbert

2020-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Can you use waypoints to do this? That's a feature I've wanted to try but have yet to get to.  If DJI Go 4's waypoints feature doesn't allow for camera posistion and tilt, I believe Litchi does.
2020-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Check this out: https://www.mavichelp.com/Tips/h ... nts-20-in-dji-go.44

HOW TO: Fly automated missions with Waypoints 2.0 in DJI GO (The Complete Guide)Overview
Use Waypoints 2.0 to create and automatically fly highly customizable waypoint missions in DJI GO with your Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom. This intelligent flight mode allows you to:

• Create or edit missions while your drone is on the ground
  • Create a mission that includes a set of points where the drone will automatically fly to
  • Set the altitude, aircraft speed, aircraft direction, gimbal pitch, and camera direction for each waypoint
  • Create points of interest (POIs) to make the camera point at an object or in a specific direction as it flies
  • Take a photo, start recording video, or stop recording video when the drone reaches any waypoint
  • Save and reload missions (so you can fly the same route later)
  • Automatically fly the mission (even if the remote controller disconnects)

2020-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tough one.
I did this with a ground camera + tripod and even the slightest change in location / direction will result in jumps.
But....
It is worth it.
2020-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Tried waypoints on my Mavic Pro yesterday -- pretty cool -- but you are lucky that you have a Mavic Pro 2 because the original lacks the ability to store gimbal pitch, only camera direction.
2020-1-26
Use props
ralettatech2020
New

India

Have you used a tripod while taking the photo, if not try to use a tripod by which you can set a position whatever you want and then lock that position for the future. I'm providing Animation Courses too, if you are interested then I'll help you there more.
2020-1-31
Use props
ralettatech2020
New

India

Have you used a tripod while taking the photo, if not try to use a tripod by which you can set a position whatever you want and then lock that position for the future? I'm providing Animation Courses too, if you are interested then I'll help you there more.
2020-1-31
Use props
ralettatech2020
New

India

Have you used a tripod while taking the photo, if not try to use a tripod by which you can set a position whatever you want and then lock that position for the future? I'm providing Animation Courses too, if you are interested then I'll help you there more.
2020-1-31
Use props
ralettatech2020
New

India

2020-1-31
Use props
ralettatech2020
New

India

Have you used a tripod while taking the photo, if not try to use a tripod by which you can set a position whatever you want and then lock that position for the future? I'm providing  https://www.raletta.in/blog/animation-courses/ Animation Courses too, if you are interested then I'll help you there more.
2020-1-31
Use props
oxid8ter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20935 ft
United Kingdom

Could you make a note of the compass direction and pitch from within the app potentially?

You say you can take off and get to same altitude. On the right side of the screen in Go 4 App is what looks like a zoom slider, but is in fact the gimbal pitch.

If you go into map mode then you could find a nearby item and ensure that the drone is always pointing in the direction of that item on the map (for example, an entrance to an estate). If you zoom in on the map when using this method then the mode accurate you can be, and the smaller an item you can use as a target to point your drone towards.
2020-1-31
Use props
TrippleDelta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

I'm in the middle of the same project right now.
A combination of waypoints and pictures from the same position and hight and Photoshop to finish it.

It's far from perfect but I guess it will be fun to watch. When ready I'll post it here.
2020-1-31
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Ex Machina Posted at 1-24 07:14
Check this out: https://www.mavichelp.com/Tips/h ... nts-20-in-dji-go.44

HOW TO: Fly automated missions with Waypoints 2.0 in DJI GO (The Complete Guide)OverviewUse Waypoints 2.0 to create and automatically fly highly customizable waypoint missions in DJI GO with your Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom. This intelligent flight mode allows you to:

Hi Ex Machina,

I now tried for quite a while and just cannot do what I want. Even though the help on mavichelp.com is very precise (as opposed to what is available on the DJI official manual) I am lost in trying to match my requirement.

Setting waypoints on a map is totaly useless in my situation. It never even matches closely the spot that I want and I can start:

* moving the spot,
* changing the camera tilt
* fly the mission
* watch the result and find out it is not good

and do it over and over again.

Why does the app not let me set a way point AT THE SPOT THE DRONE CURRENTLY IS and with the Camera tilt set to what it currently is?

Setting waypoints on a map and camera tilt "blind without seeing what it sees" is just guessing over and over again and eventually never get the wanted result.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Help is apreciated.
2020-6-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

casellini Posted at 6-22 21:37
Hi Ex Machina,

I now tried for quite a while and just cannot do what I want. Even though the help on mavichelp.com is very precise (as opposed to what is available on the DJI official manual) I am lost in trying to match my requirement.

Huh. I would be very surprised to find out that you can't set waypoints while flying, as that's the only way you can do it on an original Mavic Pro with Go 4.  

I agree doing it in the air is going to be a lot easier than blindly setting tilt angles, though being able to set it all up beforehand and fine-tuning while in flight would be optimal.
2020-6-23
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

The only way you are going to really achieve what you want is to fix a camera on a small tripod, and leave it there.
Then, once a day, at the same time (sun position and shadows), take an image.
Repeat.....
2020-6-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Simply put, this is a task that a drone is not suitable for. There are better ways to achive this.
2020-6-23
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Flycaster Posted at 6-23 10:14
The only way you are going to really achieve what you want is to fix a camera on a small tripod, and leave it there.
Then, once a day, at the same time (sun position and shadows), take an image.
Repeat.....

That would be the hell of a tripod for a 75.000 squarefeet (235 x 320 feets) "spot" to be taken
2020-6-23
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Geebax Posted at 6-23 14:31
Simply put, this is a task that a drone is not suitable for. There are better ways to achive this.

Considering I went to the official DJI store and explained the guy that this is THE task the drone needs to be able to do this is not the answer that I wanted to hear
What are the better ways to achieve this?

2020-6-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

casellini Posted at 6-23 16:11
Considering I went to the official DJI store and explained the guy that this is THE task the drone needs to be able to do this is not the answer that I wanted to hear
What are the better ways to achieve this?

Ah, that was the problem. The guy would not have had a clue. I have yet to hear from any DJI employee that has any idea of how their drones work. This sort of thing is done all the time, and the most common method is to find a taller building in the area and set up a time-lapse camera on that building. Another method involves putting up a tall pole with the camera on it.
2020-6-23
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Geebax Posted at 6-23 16:16
Ah, that was the problem. The guy would not have had a clue. I have yet to hear from any DJI employee that has any idea of how their drones work. This sort of thing is done all the time, and the most common method is to find a taller building in the area and set up a time-lapse camera on that building. Another method involves putting up a tall pole with the camera on it.

No other buildings around and a pole would need to be 300 feets to catch the whole 75.000 squarefeet area on which a resort is being built.

As far as the guy in the store goes: he also discouraged me from buying the DJI Smart Controller. Because my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 would be more than adequate and I do not need to spend the additional money on the Controller. At home I found out that my Note 8 is simply to thik (USB connector can hardly be connected). And had he also given me the hint, that while hooked up in the standard controller, the phone can hardly be used to answer calls I would have for sure purchased the Smart Controller. I know it is obvious. But in the shop I was too excited about the new toy to think about it. I ended up buying a Samsung A51 that I am using dedicated for the task.

A request to exchange (I would pay for the difference) was refused.

This guy is luky that I now live 6.000 miles away from his shop. Otherwiese I would tell him my opinion.
2020-6-23
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

casellini Posted at 6-23 16:43
No other buildings around and a pole would need to be 300 feets to catch the whole 75.000 squarefeet area on which a resort is being built.

As far as the guy in the store goes: he also discouraged me from buying the DJI Smart Controller. Because my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 would be more than adequate and I do not need to spend the additional money on the Controller. At home I found out that my Note 8 is simply to thik (USB connector can hardly be connected). And had he also given me the hint, that while hooked up in the standard controller, the phone can hardly be used to answer calls I would have for sure purchased the Smart Controller. I know it is obvious. But in the shop I was too excited about the new toy to think about it. I ended up buying a Samsung A51 that I am using dedicated for the task.

Don't give up -- have you asked DJI support if you can set a waypoint while flying with Waypoints 2.0?

There's also this 3rd party tool that might do the job:
https://flylitchi.com/help#waypoints-p3
2020-6-23
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Ex Machina Posted at 6-23 19:21
Don't give up -- have you asked DJI support if you can set a waypoint while flying with Waypoints 2.0?

There's also this 3rd party tool that might do the job:

I asked DJI Support. I will post the answer.
2020-6-23
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

casellini Posted at 6-23 22:29
I asked DJI Support. I will post the answer.

and the answer is:

use DJI GS Pro https://www.dji.com/nl/ground-station-pro that is supposed to make this possible. I doubt it is reading the feature list AND it is only available on iPad. How do I connect an iPad (that I will not buy) to the remote control?

Alternatively they say "So there are also many 3. party apps, which allows waypoint flights."
2020-6-30
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

casellini Posted at 6-30 17:28
and the answer is:

use DJI GS Pro https://www.dji.com/nl/ground-station-pro that is supposed to make this possible. I doubt it is reading the feature list AND it is only available on iPad. How do I connect an iPad (that I will not buy) to the remote control?

Ugh. That's really odd.

I thought Ground Station Pro was a discontinued product but guess not, seems to support later model AC. Welp, fwiw people do seem to love Litchi. Good luck.
2020-7-3
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

casellini Posted at 6-30 17:28
and the answer is:

use DJI GS Pro https://www.dji.com/nl/ground-station-pro that is supposed to make this possible. I doubt it is reading the feature list AND it is only available on iPad. How do I connect an iPad (that I will not buy) to the remote control?

Mavic 2 Pro is a wonderful flying camera and she's executing Litchi's waypoint missions charmingly. Here's what I'll suggest to try:

1. Purchase Litchi app for your device (approx. 35 USD?)
2. Make sure M2P connects to this app and you have full control of the bird and camera. Practice flying a bit in default FPV mode.
3. Study at least Waypoint tutorials, both official and YT. Learning curve is rather step ...
4. Launch Litchi app on your desk and start planning the waypoint mission for your project on satellite
map display.
5. Open Mission Settings dialog, Set as follow:
     a. Heading: Custom.
     b. Finish Action: RTH.
     c. Path Mode: Straight Lines.
     d. Cruising speed: default 28.8 km/h
     e. Max Flight Speed: default 28.8km/h.
     f. Photo Capture Interval: Disabled.
     g. Default Curve Size: 0%
     h. Default Gimbal Pitch Mode: Focus POI.
     i. Rotation Direction: Manual (I believe).
Close Mission Settings dialog.
6. Tap the padlock icon to lock (top right of screen), drag the map to a site, unlock the padlock, tap to set W1, most likely above your parking spot. Default altitute is 30m.
7. Drag the map to set W2 (the position of your virtual tripod).
8. Set POI in the middle of construction site plan view.
9. Tap W1 icon, go to a bottom of settings dialog and tap blue + dot. Make sure no actions of any kind are to be performed starting from that point. Close the dialog.
10. Tap W2 icon, set Altitude to a desired camera height. My wild guess is 150m. Set Point of Interest to #1. Set Action #1 to "Stay for" and choose 5 sec. This will allow the drone to stabilize the position after stop at W2 before shot. Set Action #2 to "Take Photo".
11. Save the mission, go to a site, load the mission and test image framing, adjusting waypoints and POI parameters to your liking.

Shot RAW 3:2 format, eventually AEB. In theory this mission should deliver identical framing every time. In reality minor framing discrepancies are unavoidable. Once the sequence of images are imported into  the timeline of video editor, Warp Stabilizer effect should do the trick of eliminating shaky time-lapse.

I hope you're aware how gargantuan job is this? You'll have to take several hundred images to get 10-15 seconds of 30fps video! Perhaps, try to take - say - 30 images with 1 sec interval at W2? This may render more palatable time-lapse ... Good luck anyway!  
2020-7-3
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-3 20:48
Mavic 2 Pro is a wonderful flying camera and she's executing Litchi's waypoint missions charmingly. Here's what I'll suggest to try:

1. Purchase Litchi app for your device (approx. 35 USD?)

Wow. Thank you for the extensive explanation.

I am not intrested in a video. I want to create a walk through of our bulding site. Something like an animated GIF that shows a step by step growth of the building site. Framing discrepancies are really not an issue. For this I fly the mission every day and create fotos of the site. Alway from the same view and camera angle.

Reading at your step by step instructions I really end up to where I was at the beginning:

* plan the mission on the ground
* fly the mission
* look at the result
* fix position, camera tilt and angle
* refly

until satisfied.

For me as a non english speaker it is really hard to understand what you wrote. Too many 3-letter-acronyms and words I do not know. But it looks complicated enough to go the "standard" way described above. Your walk though looks almost the same. Bulding is starting almost as I write this and I have to fly

And it is not about saving USD 35 :-)
2020-7-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

casellini Posted at 7-4 04:26

I am not intrested in a video. I want to create a walk through of our bulding site. Something like an animated GIF that shows a step by step growth of the building site. Framing discrepancies are really not an issue. For this I fly the mission every day and create fotos of the site. Alway from the same view and camera angle.

Time lapse is a video, a movie, animated picture, GIF or not. Output format is irrelevant. You want to take the picture of exactly the same frame once a day or once every 6 hrs during the construction until it is completed, using DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, right? I've described the only way to do it right, and you said that you do it exactly the same way ... What is the problem then? What am I missing?
2020-7-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ooops, twin reply ...
2020-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-4 11:27
Time lapse is a video, a movie, animated picture, GIF or not. Output format is irrelevant. You want to take the picture of exactly the same frame once a day or once every 6 hrs during the construction until it is completed, using DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, right? I've described the only way to do it right, and you said that you do it exactly the same way ... What is the problem then? What am I missing?

He's hoping to be able to fly to a given point, confirm the proper tilt angle and direction of his camera in order to properly frame the work site, and record that information as a waypoint that he can then save and fly every day.

The original Mavic Pro allows you to fly to a location and set that location and camera direction as a waypoint, but doesn't record the tilt angle. DJI support is telling him that Waypoint 2.0 missions must be planned preflight.

Can Litchi allow one to set waypoints and tilt angles while in the air?
2020-7-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 7-4 12:43
He's hoping to be able to fly to a given point, confirm the proper tilt angle and direction of his camera in order to properly frame the work site, and record that information as a waypoint that he can then save and fly every day.

The original Mavic Pro allows you to fly to a location and set that location and camera direction as a waypoint, but doesn't record the tilt angle. DJI support is telling him that Waypoint 2.0 missions must be planned preflight.

I've never tried to design waypoint mission while flying and I don't know if that's possible. I can't see why not, but I may be wrong. However, once this very simple mission is roughly pre-determined prior, I don't see making fine adjustments too difficult. Simply stop the mission, come back near W1 (no landing required), unlock the mission, adjust W2 and POI position and height to your liking, lock and start the mission again to confirm. You'll see what's the camera direction exactly once the drone reach W2, having it doing nothing for 5 (or more) seconds. You can easily fine tune this mission by hit'n'miss approach with one battery. Once you're happy with framing, save the mission and you're done!
2020-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

According to the Mavic Pro 2 manual v2.0 pg. 30 you can set waypoints while flying:

Waypoints

The aircraft flies to the waypoints in order according to the settings. The flight orientation and speed can be controlled during flight. You can select the waypoints by flying the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom to the waypoints and record them individually.

The waypoints can also be selected and edited in the map before takeoff:

• Add waypoints and point of interest in the map. The aircraft’s camera points to the point of interest when traveling through the waypoints.
  • Tap on the waypoints and point of Interest to set the altitude, flight speed, and other parameters.
  • Drag the waypoints and point of Interest to adjust the positions.
  • Flight speed, failsafe settings, and aircraft behavior can be configured after completing the waypoints.
  • Waypoints and point of interest information can be saved in the app manually while editing in the map and the flight path can be recorded and repeated.

In challenging environments such as those surrounded by high-rise buildings it is recommended to set waypoints by flying to each waypoint manually.

Waypoints is only available when using aircraft firmware v01.00.03.00 or above and DJI GO 4 v4.3.12 or above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't say exactly how to set the waypoints while flying. This is another example of the long standing failure of DJI to provide complete documentation that I really don't understand.

This video shows how to set waypoints while in flight:

Good luck!

2020-7-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 7-5 08:13
According to the Mavic Pro 2 manual v2.0 pg. 30 you can set waypoints while flying:

Waypoints

I must confess that I totally ignored DJI's offerings in waypoint mission category, with no reason whatsoever. By far my experience is limited to a Litchi app environment. Anyway, the video explains well how to plan the mission during flight ...  
2020-7-5
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Ex Machina Posted at 7-5 08:13

Waypoints

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It looks like this is what I need. As soon as it stops raining (rain season here in Thailand) I will test.

Concerning "This is another example of the long standing failure of DJI to provide complete documentation that I really don't understand.": it is even worse than that. I had to google part of the text to find the manual you are referencing. That text exists in an older manual, where the title is "Waypoints (coming soon)". You will not find this on the DJI website.

The current manual says even less: Waypoints. Record a fligth path, then the aircraft will fly along the same path repeatedly while you control the camera position and orientation. The flight path can be saved and re-appply in the future

Reading at that text it tells me that it was translated with Google from Chinese and then badly corrected.

But I must admit that I could have guessed. On page 9 of the new manual, where buttons are exlained, it says at button 10 (C1 Button): Press once to focus on the center or a add a waypoint when using waypoints
2020-7-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

casellini Posted at 7-5 17:38
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It looks like this is what I need. As soon as it stops raining (rain season here in Thailand) I will test.

Concerning "This is another example of the long standing failure of DJI to provide complete documentation that I really don't understand.": it is even worse than that. I had to google part of the text to find the manual you are referencing. That text exists in an older manual, where the title is "Waypoints (coming soon)". You will not find this on the DJI website.

Glad I could help. The lack of documentation in many important areas is a real head-scratcher. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The language barrier in DJI support  is a tough thing to deal with -- I've found that sometimes my support requests have to be resubmitted with different phrasing in order for the person at the other end to understand what I'm asking.

Hope it quits raining soon!
2020-7-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-5 14:54
I must confess that I totally ignored DJI's offerings in waypoint mission category, with no reason whatsoever. By far my experience is limited to a Litchi app environment. Anyway, the video explains well how to plan the mission during flight ...

Thanks for weighing in -- I've been really curious about Litchi and how it works.
2020-7-7
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

Ex Machina Posted at 7-7 12:59
Glad I could help. The lack of documentation in many important areas is a real head-scratcher. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The language barrier in DJI support  is a tough thing to deal with -- I've found that sometimes my support requests have to be resubmitted with different phrasing in order for the person at the other end to understand what I'm asking.

It stopped raining and I tested.

It is so *** easy! Here the way to do for future reader of this thread:

* Click on Waypoints and just manually start your flight
* Fly to where you want to take a picture
* Move back an forth, up and down and left and right until you have the right spot
* Set the orientation of the drone
* Set the angle of the camera
* Don't forget to set your focus by tipping on the central spot you want to take a photo.
* Hit the C1 button
* Fly to the next spot and repeat the above steps
* Hit the C1 button

and so forth until finished (5 photos in my example).

Save your mission.

As a last thing, edit your mission and edit the single waypoints and set the camera action to take a photo and save.

That's it.

Concerning support: my support contact answered in English but has a German name and address. So I wrote to him in German. Should not have been a language issue. His last answer: "The DJI GO 4 also has a waypoint function in the intelligent flight modes. If this is not enough for you: there are many third parties offering apps with different functions."

2020-7-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

casellini Posted at 7-7 15:48

Hooray! Case closed ...
2020-7-7
Use props
flying-camera
lvl.2
Canada

casellini Posted at 7-7 15:48

I tried this, and it does work, but it doesn't take a photo automatically when you run the mission. Is there ea way to have it take a photo automatically at each waypoint (at the same gimbal pitch, same orientation, etc.)?

Thanks!
2020-7-18
Use props
casellini
lvl.2
Thailand

flying-camera Posted at 7-18 16:52
I tried this, and it does work, but it doesn't take a photo automatically when you run the mission. Is there ea way to have it take a photo automatically at each waypoint (at the same gimbal pitch, same orientation, etc.)?

Thanks!

Hello

Open the mission
Tap on the waypoint
At camera action choose photo
Save

That's it
2020-7-18
Use props
flying-camera
lvl.2
Canada

casellini Posted at 7-18 17:08
Hello

Open the mission

Are you talking about Litchi or DJI GO 4?  I've tried both, and cannot get it to work. Thanks
2020-7-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules