1813 7 2020-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I thought all of you Mini owners would like this:

https://windexchange.energy.gov/maps-data/325

This is a map showing the annual average wind speed at 30 meters elevation above ground level for the entire continental US.  There are probably similar maps for other regions of the world.  The reason this map exists is to help folks planning where to put wind power farms.  I'm NOT a fan of wind power for a number of reasons, but that's a subject for a different forum, I suppose.  But i'm sure they're interested in winds at these elevations above ground level because that's probably dead center for many of these turbines.  And that works out pretty well for us Mini fliers because it gives a better idea of the winds we might find up at a typical height where we'll be flying.

There may well be other maps showing the winds at even higher elevations above ground level that could be very interesting for drone flying.  It'd be interesting to see overlays showing ground level, 100', 200', 300', and 400' just to give people a better feel for how much windier it usually is as you go higher above the ground.  I get the feeling that most people don't have a good gut-feel for this, and that's part of what gets us into trouble when we take our Mini out for a spin.

Basically, this shows that where I live, I shouldn't expect to fly my Mini very much on average.  ;)  And so far, that's provent to be true.  Fortunately, we do have some calmer weather in the summer, so I'm looking forward to that.

I may have a window of opportunity tomorrow morning around 09:00, but it will be too cold.  That's usually the case here.  The lowest wind times are between midnight and early after dawn, which may well be the pattern most places since you don't have the sunlight heating the earth and stirring things up.  A friend who flies ultralights always plans on taking off right around dawn.  Sometimes I'm up that late, so it's possible I can take advantage of not only the calmer air, but the "golden hour" lighting at some point.

You see that small purple area with the worst average wind in that map?  Yep.  That's pretty much right where I live, of course!

2020-1-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This really isn't much use at all.
The average of anything is made from the summation of all values, including extremes.
Local winds are going to vary throughout the seasons and throughout the day for many reasons.
An average wind map would be very useful if you wanted to locate your wind farm where it's likely to get steady winds year-round.
But when you fly your drone, you are only concerned with local wind levels for a 20-30 minute window,

Looking at apps that show forecast winds at various altitudes is very popular with many forum members, but that's something else that's not much practical use.
All you really need to do is understand and expect winds at altitude will be significantly higher than surface level winds and factor that into flight planning.
Go higher and winds will be stronger.
2020-1-24
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-24 21:43
This really isn't much use at all.
The average of anything is made from the summation of all values, including extremes.
Local winds are going to vary throughout the seasons and throughout the day for many reasons.

Well, of course.   I think most people understand the meaning of the word "average".

But you make a good point, even if done in an unfriendly way.

People can't look at this map and know what their current wind conditions are.  And there are a number of good sites that show current and predicted flying conditions for their (or other locations), so they can plan their flying.

But that wasn't why I posted this map.

I just thought it was interesting to see a map showing, on average, where good flying areas might be found.

Should I delete the post?
2020-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Sigmo. Thank you for sharing these information with us and your insight as well with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that the DJI Mavic Mini has a Maximum Wind Speed Resistance of
8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Again thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-1-25
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-25 09:48
Hello and good day Sigmo. Thank you for sharing these information with us and your insight as well with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that the DJI Mavic Mini has a Maximum Wind Speed Resistance of
8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Again thank you and have a safe flight always.

Yes.  And 8m/s isn't really a lot of wind, actually.

And because, as Labroides ponts out, winds are almost always stronger the higher you go above ground level, we all have to be particularly careful when flying the little Mini.

Here's another map.  This one being the same except showing the average wind speeds at 80 meters above ground level:

https://windexchange.energy.gov/maps-data/319

Comparing the two, you can see how much greater (on average) the winds are at 80 meters versus the 30 meters shown in the first map.  And when you compare both of those to the winds at ground level, especially if there are obstructions such as trees, buildings, houses, etc., you can see how much stronger the winds are up high compared to what you're feeling at ground level.

This is something that many new drone fliers might not have much of a "feel" for.  It makes perfect sense, but might not be known by first-time drone owners.
2020-1-25
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

I prefer Ventusky, historical data included https://www.ventusky.com/?p=48.4;-93.6;3&l=wind-100m
2020-1-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Sigmo Posted at 1-25 19:59
Yes.  And 8m/s isn't really a lot of wind, actually.

And because, as Labroides ponts out, winds are almost always stronger the higher you go above ground level, we all have to be particularly careful when flying the little Mini.

Thank you for the additional informative information you have shared with us and thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-26
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

jonny007 Posted at 1-26 02:40
I prefer Ventusky, historical data included https://www.ventusky.com/?p=48.4;-93.6;3&l=wind-100m

Wow!  That is fantastic.  Thank you for posting that.  I'll be using that a lot!
2020-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules