3269 7 2020-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oxid8ter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20935 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All.

I just went for my maiden flight with my MA. Did all my preflight checks - batteries, app settings,, fly safe map etc.

I chose Epsom Downs (Surrey) as it is a vast open space and no restrictions registered anywhere online, nor on their website, and no signage to prohibit drone flight.

I was less than 5 minutes into my flight when I was approached by the ranger/warden. I landed, packed up, and came home to appease them... my question is: was I within my rights to fly there why with there being no information to the contrary available. Has anyone else had this issue?  
2020-1-25
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Hi. Did the ranger specifically tell you not to fly? And if so, on what grounds?
I recently printed off a badge with my details and operator number and wear it on an official-looking lanyard. Anyone who approaches me is welcome to look up the details online.
2020-1-26
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Also, these guys may be able to help:
https://greyarro.ws/t/surrey-spots/5410
2020-1-26
Use props
oxid8ter
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. Yea - she came over and told me “I’m really sorry but you actually can’t fly drones here”.

I told her how I had checked fly safe drone maps, searched online for restrictions etc but she was not budging. I didn’t want to make a scene (or give Drone users a bad rep) so I just landed and went home. Luckily I didn’t venture too far for the flight!

I will take a look a the link you provided, thanks!
2020-1-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you can post the actual location it might help,  But if it was national trust or English heritage then they have a policy that you cannot take off from their land,  however they cannot control where you fly so you can legally take off somewhere else and fly over their grounds, as once airborne only the CAA can control your flight.
2020-1-27
Use props
oxid8ter
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Rather foolishly I took off directly from the car park (there was no one else around as it was still first thing in the morning... Maybe that was my first mistake.
2020-1-27
Use props
oxid8ter
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aprox: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.311639,-0.250229,16z  - Was on the North edge of the green heading south into it.
2020-1-27
Use props
djiuser_PIvCMQ5yK9Oy
New

United Kingdom

oxid8ter Posted at 1-27 09:19
Aprox: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.311639,-0.250229,16z  - Was on the North edge of the green heading south into it.

i have flown from there in my early drone years and looked into this fully
The reason is due to a by-law  the area it covers is way over the golf course across to the farmers field on the gallops and across to the hotel (premier inn i think it is)
I like you took off from an empty car park but late in tbe evening when mr ranger appeared in his 4x4 he did however say they do not control the farmers feild so go there and fly  to which i did without any issues
2020-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules