Compass turns red?
4822 14 2020-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

Latley I have been flying my mini and before I take off the compass is white showing good heading, as I fly maybe 150FT away my compass turns red with a slash \ line I guess its the mini body showing where the compass indicator is, I can't take a picture of it because on my iphoneX you have to press 2 buttons anyone has seen this before.
2020-1-26
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

I think what you mean is the symbol that indicates that the mobile device is not connected to enough satellites, so is hasn't a GPS Fix. Oh, next time you could make a picture from the display....with the mini. ;-)
2020-1-26
Use props
LABU
lvl.1
United States

I have experienced the same issue with the compass turning red indicating disconnect, but suddenly it recovers. Not sure why that happens. Currently running the latest firmware.
2020-1-26
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
United States

jonny007 Posted at 1-26 11:45
I think what you mean is the symbol that indicates that the mobile device is not connected to enough satellites, so is hasn't a GPS Fix. Oh, next time you could make a picture from the display....with the mini. ;-)

talking about the compass at bottom middle of picture.
2020-1-26
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
United States

LABU Posted at 1-26 12:00
I have experienced the same issue with the compass turning red indicating disconnect, but suddenly it recovers. Not sure why that happens. Currently running the latest firmware.

yes it does come back but wonder why this is happening, when I see it turn red I bring it back and then turns back to normal.
2020-1-26
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Yes I mean these symbol, so this one...with the slash right ? OMG...backslash ;-)

2020-1-26
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
United States

jonny007 Posted at 1-26 12:09
Yes I mean these symbol, so this one...with the slash right ? OMG...backslash ;-)

yes that's it what is the reason for that happening while flying?.
2020-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Savage3006 Posted at 1-26 12:04
[view_image]

talking about the compass at bottom middle of picture.

That’s not your compass, and it’s likely the problem is with the compass in your phone, if you need to check correct heading refer to small icon left lower corner, just click on that red triangle will give you a much better more accurate heading .
2020-1-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Savage3006. Thank you for reaching out and of the information you have shared with us. If this icon is found on the lower middle part of the DJI Fly screen application. This icon is called the  Aircraft Orientation.  This uses the compass and GPS information from the DJI Mavic Mini and the mobile device.  If it lacks some information it displays a red with an icon representing a square like icon, it suggest that DJI Fly does not have reliable information in order to present the normal indication. Thank you.
2020-1-26
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Savage3006 Posted at 1-26 12:11
yes that's it what is the reason for that happening while flying?.

I simply provoked it by turning off GPS on my mobile phone. This is the same effect if the phone has lost GPS connection, e.g. if you are under a roof or in the forest. Of course, the drone in the air still has satellite reception ... unless it also flies in thick forest or under a roof or under a roof in the forest. ;-) So your problem was, there were not enough satellites where you stand and perhaps a few minutes later, there were enough again.
2020-1-26
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-26 12:14
Hello and good day Savage3006. Thank you for reaching out and of the information you have shared with us. If this icon is found on the lower middle part of the DJI Fly screen application. This icon is called the  Aircraft Orientation.  This uses the compass and GPS information from the DJI Mavic Mini and the mobile device.  If it lacks some information it displays a red with an icon representing a square like icon, it suggest that DJI Fly does not have reliable information in order to present the normal indication. Thank you.

Ok, So do I worry about this or just keep flying?. also thanks for the reply every one.
2020-1-26
Use props
NewPilot1063
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jonny007 Posted at 1-26 12:19
I simply provoked it by turning off GPS on my mobile phone. This is the same effect if the phone has lost GPS connection, e.g. if you are under a roof or in the forest. Of course, the drone in the air still has satellite reception ... unless it also flies in thick forest or under a roof or under a roof in the forest. ;-) So your problem was, there were not enough satellites where you stand and perhaps a few minutes later, there were enough again.

Cheers jony007 this is really helpful and explains a lot because I have also experienced the same issue whilst flying the MM from my apartment (I have what could be considered a balcony even though it's so narrow that you couldn't possibly stand on it)
The only issue I have with this is that my phone will only display the red square (bottom centre) once the MM is some distance away and not right away or continually. It seems ok once I start to bring the MM back.
2020-1-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Savage3006 Posted at 1-26 12:29
Ok, So do I worry about this or just keep flying?. also thanks for the reply every one.

You are very much welcome Savage3006. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with your DJI Mavic Mini or with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-1-27
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Savage3006 Posted at 1-26 12:29
Ok, So do I worry about this or just keep flying?. also thanks for the reply every one.

Let's say, it's very useful, but not absolute essential. If it works, it shows you the orientation at a glance, you can see where the drone is pointing and you can also correct your own position, if you see that the drone symbol is not in the center and thereby possibly stabilize the connection.
2020-1-27
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Turning airplane mode on devices as well as smart watches etc seems to help. I think the compass from the device struggles with outer interference. You don't actually have to worry about it, it is simply the device location relative to the device. It doesn't affect the drone or flight at all.
2020-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules