Not enough force / ESC error problem
4024 33 2020-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

I was waiting for the self unlock procedure to be able to fly where I live and the park where I fly my drones. After the .0400 firmware upgrade and 1.0.4 app I was able to go and fly on the park.
When I start flying I noticed max power warnings and at some point there was a noise when I throttle up the drone. Something like a vibration. After that I couldn't take off starting the motors because the drone only goes after not up. I can take off using the auto-take off on the app.

I was afraid of having a fall and I did more tests indoor with prop guards. The results were the same, with auto take off the drone lifted but I had the warnings and using the other method the drone goes backward without lifting from the ground.

I used the DJI assistant and downgraded the firmware to .0300 and tested indoor with 2 different bateries. The drone did auto take off with no warnings during the flight. I upgraded the firmware to .400 and when I tested I got the warnings again.

I, at first, was going to replace the rear props as it seemed to me that there was a problem with the lift from the rear propellers. However with my test with the firmware downgrade I don't know if that would solve the issue.

Anyone had or heard about this?

Air Data log

Air Data log
2020-1-26
Use props
fanscddbe093
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95492 ft
United States

I lost my first Mini in a river because of this.  I think there are a few threads and Youtube videos on this problem.  My replacement Mini had the same problem.  I swapped out the props and I've been fine for about 5 flights so my fingers are crossed but I doubt it's purely prop related.  If you start seeing those "max power reached" messages, I suggest you land it soon or the Mini will land itself!
2020-1-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day amferreira. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out. May I know if the said drone had a hard landing or a crash before the ESC error message showed up and please try to refresh the firmware of the said drone to see if the issue will still persist? Please keep us posted for us to assist you further. Thank you.
2020-1-27
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-27 07:39
Hello and good day amferreira. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out. May I know if the said drone had a hard landing or a crash before the ESC error message showed up and please try to refresh the firmware of the said drone to see if the issue will still persist? Please keep us posted for us to assist you further. Thank you.

Hello

I haven't any crash or hard landing. Problems started with .400 firmware update. The image on my post is from the flight where the error started. I have submited the flight reports to DJI on case number: CAS-3933468-D2Y3G8.

After, I did some flights indoor with always the same problem. I did a firmware downgrade to .0300 and made some flights indoor without any warning or error. I updated the firmware to .0400 and when tested indoor the warning/error come again as soon as the Mini takes off.

I am not flying my Mini due to bad weather but as soon as the weather improves I am planning to downgrade the firmare to .0300 and test the Mini outdoor.
2020-1-27
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

fanscddbe093 Posted at 1-26 19:00
I lost my first Mini in a river because of this.  I think there are a few threads and Youtube videos on this problem.  My replacement Mini had the same problem.  I swapped out the props and I've been fine for about 5 flights so my fingers are crossed but I doubt it's purely prop related.  If you start seeing those "max power reached" messages, I suggest you land it soon or the Mini will land itself!

Thanks for your post. I have seen those videos and posts, I was thinking that prop replacement could be a solution because I noticed a vibration noise when the problem started. However, having downgraded the Mini firmware to .0300 and the problem disapeared made me wonder that maybe swapping propellers couldn't be the answer to the problem. I will be doing further tests with firmware .0300 to see if the problem is gone with this firmware.

I have sent all flight logs to DJI support and I am waiting for them to do the analysis.
2020-1-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

fanse342676c Posted at 1-27 07:52
Hello

I haven't any crash or hard landing. Problems started with .400 firmware update. The image on my post is from the flight where the error started. I have submited the flight reports to DJI on case number: CAS-3933468-D2Y3G8.

Thank you for the additional information you have shared with us and it is great to know that you have already opened a case for your DJI Mavic Mini. Kindly please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be able to assist you further. Thank you.
2020-1-27
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Try updating with FW .06 and do not foget tu update also the RC , as well as the 3 batteries to prevent mismatch between fw releases.
2020-1-28
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

emaneg Posted at 1-28 07:02
Try updating with FW .06 and do not foget tu update also the RC , as well as the 3 batteries to prevent mismatch between fw releases.

Thanks for your reply. I have the app on version 1.0.6 and updated the firmware of the drone, RC and batteries to .0400. That's when the error message started to show. I thought it would be a problem with the propellers, I was prepared to replace the rear propelleres when I did the firmware downgrade of the drone to .0300 and the problem disappeared. I upgraded the drone to .0400 and the problem was back.

I am planning to downgrade the firmware to .0300 and go test the drone at the park by the end of this week, weather permitting. Then I will see what to do next.

Meanwhile I am waiting a formal answer from DJI.
2020-1-28
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-27 13:40
Thank you for the additional information you have shared with us and it is great to know that you have already opened a case for your DJI Mavic Mini. Kindly please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be able to assist you further. Thank you.

Just an update.

I refreshed the firmware .0400 with DJI Assistant to both drone and controller. On indoor flights I didn't had any warning with 2 batteries. But with the third I got the same warnings.
2020-1-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

You should be aware that every IFB (intelligent flight battery) should be upgraded within the drone with the DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic software.  Also the RC must be updated the same way if not already updated. If you downgrade the drone firmware I do believe it would be wise to also downgrade the batteries (if at all possible).

I suggest you go ahead with your open case w/ DJI.
2020-1-28
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

m80116 Posted at 1-28 13:57
You should be aware that every IFB (intelligent flight battery) should be upgraded within the drone with the DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic software.  Also the RC must be updated the same way if not already updated. If you downgrade the drone firmware I do believe it would be wise to also downgrade the batteries (if at all possible).

I suggest you go ahead with your open case w/ DJI.

I have opened the case with DJI. But as I haven't had any answer yet I tried to solve the issue by myself.

In the beginning I did the firmware update of the drone and batteries with the DJI Fly app. Like it was done on the update to firmware .0300. To try to sort out the problem I have downgraded the firmware on the drone using the DJI Assistant. Today I did a upgrade refresh of the drone and controller to .0400.

The test flights indoor with 2 batteries without the error/warning but on the third battery the error/warning come back.

I am charging the battery to test again and if the error is present I intent to do the firmware refresh with the third battery installed.
2020-1-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Check the battery version when installed in the drone, the should match the drone firmware version to reliably work in conjunction with it.
2020-1-28
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280682 ft
Finland

My theory would be the already considered bad props, purely by the sound issue. Vibrations or abnormal sound can't really come from anywhere else.

I guess why you only get the warnings on newer FW and not with the old FW has to be connected to the FW changes, as DJI limited the power of the motors in this newer FW. Bad props -> disturbed lift -> motors topping out sooner on the new FW.
Try with new props and .400 FW what happens?
2020-1-29
Use props
ninogui
lvl.2

Portugal

I´m interested in this resolution.

Also from PT and I have a "processing" order for a MM fly more + even more parts. If firmware (not application version) 1..04 is even more sensitive than .03 was it´s just a sign that DJI has no other solution for the intended target users (newbies) other than dialing down power and/or flight ability and that is worrying, much more so if you evolve. But if you do evolve, with a previous bad experience some people will start looking to other brands instead of a Mavic 2 on their next purchase up the scale, and there´s lots of them surfacing.
2020-1-29
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

Miixxa Posted at 1-29 01:22
My theory would be the already considered bad props, purely by the sound issue. Vibrations or abnormal sound can't really come from anywhere else.

I guess why you only get the warnings on newer FW and not with the old FW has to be connected to the FW changes, as DJI limited the power of the motors in this newer FW. Bad props -> disturbed lift -> motors topping out sooner on the new FW.

Thanks for your message Miixxa. You maybe correct of the issue coming out on the new FW due to limited of power on the motors.

I have refreshed the FW with DJI Assistant several times and now all tests indoor with the 3 batteries showed no warning or error. When the weather permits I will go fly outdoor to see if the issue is solved.

Then if not my next step will be replace the rear propellers.
2020-1-29
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

fanse342676c Posted at 1-29 03:50
Thanks for your message Miixxa. You maybe correct of the issue coming out on the new FW due to limited of power on the motors.

I have refreshed the FW with DJI Assistant several times and now all tests indoor with the 3 batteries showed no warning or error. When the weather permits I will go fly outdoor to see if the issue is solved.

what Firmware ?
1.0.4 ?
2020-1-29
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

Christian U Posted at 1-29 04:56
what Firmware ?
1.0.4 ?

Firmware of the drone .0400, the latest version of the DJI Fly app for Android is 1.0.6

What limits power to the motors is the drone firmware.

Currently I have the drone firmware .0400 and the App 1.0.6
2020-1-29
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

fanse342676c Posted at 1-29 05:03
Firmware of the drone .0400, the latest version of the DJI Fly app for Android is 1.0.6

What limits power to the motors is the drone firmware.

just wanted to get sure that it seems that flashing the firmware makes an real difference, i have no idea why
if thats so, the update mechanism must be broken
2020-1-29
Use props
Tervist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

fanse342676c Posted at 1-28 07:19
Thanks for your reply. I have the app on version 1.0.6 and updated the firmware of the drone, RC and batteries to .0400. That's when the error message started to show. I thought it would be a problem with the propellers, I was prepared to replace the rear propelleres when I did the firmware downgrade of the drone to .0300 and the problem disappeared. I upgraded the drone to .0400 and the problem was back.

I am planning to downgrade the firmware to .0300 and go test the drone at the park by the end of this week, weather permitting. Then I will see what to do next.

I really hate to sound negative, but don't hold your breath waiting for a formal reply from DJI, especially if you did it via PM through this board. I recently had an issue with my remote controller and sent a PM to one of their people on this board inquiring as to the best way to proceed with getting help for my issue. This was at the end of December. I never heard back from the individual. You are better off contacting Support directly. I heard back from them within 48 hours and was able to move forward.
2020-1-29
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

Tervist Posted at 1-29 06:44
I really hate to sound negative, but don't hold your breath waiting for a formal reply from DJI, especially if you did it via PM through this board. I recently had an issue with my remote controller and sent a PM to one of their people on this board inquiring as to the best way to proceed with getting help for my issue. This was at the end of December. I never heard back from the individual. You are better off contacting Support directly. I heard back from them within 48 hours and was able to move forward.

That's why I am trying to solve the issue by myself. I posted just to know experiences from other users.

With the last firmware refreshes I did the problem was gone on all test flights I made indoor. Just waiting for weather to get better and do some test flights outdoor.

Anyway, I am waiting a formal reply to case number CAS-3933468-D2Y3G8 that opened with DJI Support, not in this forum.
2020-1-29
Use props
Tervist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

fanse342676c Posted at 1-29 08:01
That's why I am trying to solve the issue by myself. I posted just to know experiences from other users.

With the last firmware refreshes I did the problem was gone on all test flights I made indoor. Just waiting for weather to get better and do some test flights outdoor.

Good that you went ahead and got a case number assigned. After I got my case number, they were very good about keeping me informed about the progress they were making with the repair. The shipping process here in the States was slow, but once DJI received it, things moved pretty quickly. I hope they are able to solve your issue.
2020-1-29
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

fanse342676c Posted at 1-29 08:01

With the last firmware refreshes I did the problem was gone on all test flights I made indoor. Just waiting for weather to get better and do some test flights outdoor.

I am a bit confused after the many messages 1.03 to 1.04 and back and again 1.04, again 1.03. You wrote about the update from 1.03 to 1.04, you got the error, it was gone when you downgraded. Then everything is actually ok ? I think (generally) you should fly with the version that works and not (always) with the newest one. I have about 70 flights,  50 of them with 1.03 and 0,0% problems (and the 20 first neither).
2020-1-29
Use props
fanse342676c
lvl.4
Portugal

jonny007 Posted at 1-29 11:04
I am a bit confused after the many messages 1.03 to 1.04 and back and again 1.04, again 1.03. You wrote about the update from 1.03 to 1.04, you got the error, it was gone when you downgraded. Then everything is actually ok ? I think (generally) you should fly with the version that works and not (always) with the newest one. I have about 70 flights,  50 of them with 1.03 and 0,0% problems (and the 20 first neither).

Version 1.0.3 and version 1.0.4 are versions of the Fly App. Now I am using the App version 1.0.6 but the problem is with the drone firmware.

I started having this issue with firmware upgrade to .0400 and all previous flight without any issue.

I downgraded to .0300 and in the flights indoor there was no warning, went back to .0400 and the error came back. Next I downgraded to .0300 and upgraded to .0400 using refresh firmware of the DJI Assistant. Did refresh with all batteries and after that the flight tests indoor with the three batteries were made without errors.

I am waiting for the weather to get better and fly outdoor with the three batteries to see if the error pops out again.
2020-1-29
Use props
fansd37fe0d3
lvl.4
Portugal

fanse342676c Posted at 1-29 11:49
Version 1.0.3 and version 1.0.4 are versions of the Fly App. Now I am using the App version 1.0.6 but the problem is with the drone firmware.

I started having this issue with firmware upgrade to .0400 and all previous flight without any issue.

Update

Today I flown the MM outdoor with the latest refresh firmware to .0400 with the battery that I had most errors. It was a short 4 minutes flight without any warning.

I plan to test all batteries at the park as soon as I can.
2020-2-3
Use props
SuP3R1oR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92457 ft
Thailand

I have heard about this problem from another user here in Thailand, worst part CARE REFRESH is not available here. He had his drone for a month and lost it over the pond. Even though he recovered it, he did not get any replacement.  I am worried about mine.
2020-2-3
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

fansd37fe0d3 Posted at 2-3 08:08
Update

Today I flown the MM outdoor with the latest refresh firmware to .0400 with the battery that I had most errors. It was a short 4 minutes flight without any warning.

Update

Today a did 3 flights, one with each battery, for a total of 43 minutes and no error or warning come up. Longest flight was 25m23s spending 92% of the battery.

I will continue to test until I got confidence on this .0400 firmware.
2020-2-4
Use props
Oscar Richtofen
New
Flight distance : 162667 ft
Chile

Dear @amferreira, I came across your topic while looking for some answers to the same problem (Not enough force / ESC error) you experienced with your MM.  Mine starting acting weirdly two flights ago and almost crashed with an abandoned building while trying to recover it to the home point. The drone was unable to fly forward, and when flying straight to me it lost height several times. Searching fot the flight logs I realized the problem was triggered when the drone experienced the ESC error. I tried to resolve the issue by changing the propellers, but I've just came back from the park from a test flight and it didn't work.

I wanted to know If you were able to sort the problem out via downgrading/upgrading the firmware?

Any further input will be highly appreciated.

Best wishes from Chile,
Oscar

PS: here's the log of my last flight.

2020-4-4
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

Oscar Richtofen Posted at 4-4 15:49
Dear @amferreira, I came across your topic while looking for some answers to the same problem (Not enough force / ESC error) you experienced with your MM.  Mine starting acting weirdly two flights ago and almost crashed with an abandoned building while trying to recover it to the home point. The drone was unable to fly forward, and when flying straight to me it lost height several times. Searching fot the flight logs I realized the problem was triggered when the drone experienced the ESC error. I tried to resolve the issue by changing the propellers, but I've just came back from the park from a test flight and it didn't work.

I wanted to know If you were able to sort the problem out via downgrading/upgrading the firmware?

Hello

Some users have solve the problem replacing the props, however I tried another path.

1. Downgraded the firmware to .300 using the DJI Assistant 2.
2. Upgrade the firmware to .0400 again using the DJI Assistant.
3. Repeat step 2 (refresh) with other batteries, one at a time. I had three so I had to repeat two times.
4. Refresh the firmware of the controller using the DJI Assistant.

See if this solves your problem.
2020-4-4
Use props
Oscar Richtofen
New
Chile

amferreira Posted at 4-4 16:12
Hello

Some users have solve the problem replacing the props, however I tried another path.

Thanks! I will and I'll post the results. Wish me luck!
2020-4-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Oscar Richtofen Posted at 4-4 16:47
Thanks! I will and I'll post the results. Wish me luck!

You will need more than luck.
Your Mini is one of many that have this problem.
It is not safe to fly.
2020-4-4
Use props
fificap
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55531 ft
France

Hi,

Did you try to change props? It's an easy test !
2020-4-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Far easier than upgrading, downgrading... which I believe far less likely to solve anything. But if he did and that didn't change anything, well...

I'd really really like to see a side profile picture of each of the propeller blades, lying flat with the central spindle hole pinned against a flat surface. That really tells something... it is entirely possibile that even the replacement propellers are faulty.
2020-4-5
Use props
Oscar Richtofen
New
Chile

A quick update on my previously reported problem mates:
I did change the props and all the problems, symptoms and strange behaviours of my Mavic Mini are GONE. The thing even sounds pretty different while the rotors are turning. Unbelievable... It looks like the rear propellers can suffer from warping due to the way they're folded in storage (especially when inside the DJI case that comes with the Fly More Combo. My advise is keeping the case in vertical position and the drone with no batt inside.

I fully recommend paying attention to this couple of videos that were the solution, at least in my case.

Mavic Mini Problem (Is This A Fix?) by Steve Coutts
https://youtu.be/OpumxfV-KeE

DJI Mavic Mini - Unstable Flight - Uncommanded Descent & Resolution by Idaho Quadcopter
https://youtu.be/UbsJOCr7S3s

Both videos give a clear explanation of the problem and how this guys solved it

Good luck!
2020-4-12
Use props
PauloACSilva
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1203520 ft
Portugal

First of all a strong applause for AmFerreira, as a good TUGA use to do, it is up to you to solve and get your hands dirty !!!
My THANKS for the tips regarding the refresh of the FW and the batteries, nobody still talked a lot about them but the truth is that if they are not at 100% the errors will arise.
Now, if I may, I will suggest something, we all know that storage is not perfect, but to protect the propellers, a simple accessory called GLASS STOCKINGS FROM OUR WIFES are enough ... A cut on each side at the elastic and that's it "wear" the MM + the command ...
Regards.

2020-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules