12Next >
4705 56 2020-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Would love it´s (even) small size and BATTERY life... but unfortaly MM is useless for me not having ACTIVETRACK or automated flight modes.

Shame a "selfie" drone not being able to track you.

Would buy one for sure.

This vid below was made yesterday with my 2,5yrs old loved spark.

2020-1-27
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

The answer is - because...
PS. Nice video!
2020-1-27
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think Active Track is one of the major features everybody is still holding out hope they will introduce in an upcoming firmware update.  It is too bad the Spark has it, yet the Mini doesn't.  

Stay safe out there on your bike!  That red car that passed you near the end sure didn't give you any extra room to spare!  Yikes!

p.s. Your video was only showing up in 360p for me.
2020-1-27
Use props
RePrEsEnT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11984951 ft
Slovenia

And that's the main reason i hate cyclers big time: using highway and in your case plus flying drone? are u serrious???  
NO COMMENT!

2020-1-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately, I don't think DJI Engineers ever originally planned for the MM to have full Active Track.  Maybe, just maybe it will get added as a bonus feature somewhere down the line.  We can only hope.  However, there are other features that appear to be more in request over Active Track.

2020-1-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Adriano Araujo. Thank you for sharing these information and for your insights with regards to this matter. As of this time the DJI Mavic Mini does not have the Activetrack feature. In addition this matter has already been forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. For the latest news and updates on the DJI Mavic Mini and on the DJI Fly application, please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-1-27
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

In my opinion, it should have active track and follow mode but for safety reasons, it should have an unlock function like low GPS with an agreement  " at your own risk"
2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

KlooGee Posted at 1-27 07:11
I think Active Track is one of the major features everybody is still holding out hope they will introduce in an upcoming firmware update.  It is too bad the Spark has it, yet the Mini doesn't.  

Stay safe out there on your bike!  That red car that passed you near the end sure didn't give you any extra room to spare!  Yikes!

"It is too bad the Spark has it, yet the Mini doesn't."

Spark is 2yr older - computer power should no be a problem for MM. In my understanding, it´s just a marketing strategie.  

MM has Ambarella H22 wich is a very powerfull chipset:
https://dronedj.com/2019/11/27/a ... c-mini-mavic-3-pro/

"Stay safe out there on your bike!  That red car that passed you near the end sure didn't give you any extra room to spare!  Yikes!"

Oh man. He/she had a lot of space on the left. Don´t know why he/se choose to get that close. :-/

I love to ride my roadcycle, but I understand that is my most dngerous sport....

How is your Skydio 2?

2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

RePrEsEnT Posted at 1-27 07:46
And that's the main reason i hate cyclers big time: using highway and in your case plus flying drone? are u serrious???  
NO COMMENT!

I gues you didn´t get the poit.

I was not controlling the drone. It was flying by itself. Activetrack.

That´s the context of OP (Original Post). Mavic Mini being absent of any automated flight feature is USELESS for me.

Got it? ;-)

By the way, man, you should not hate in batch. People you even don´t know. ;-)

2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

Niknik Posted at 1-27 09:56
In my opinion, it should have active track and follow mode but for safety reasons, it should have an unlock function like low GPS with an agreement  " at your own risk"

Fair.

I would take the risk.

Spark, for example, has no obstacle avoidance above 20km/h - most of the time, in ActiveTrack, it is flying above that speed. ;-)
2020-1-27
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The spark has it and its also about $400 dollars more to purchase in some areas. Perhaps the MM should have been about $800 to cover all the features everyone is complaining about.
If you want good active track then perhaps invest in the Mavic pro 2 or wait for the M pro 3 to be released.
2020-1-27
Use props
RePrEsEnT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11984951 ft
Slovenia

Adriano Araujo Posted at 1-27 10:57
I gues you didn´t get the poit.

I was not controlling the drone. It was flying by itself. Activetrack.

Man, belive me, I've got the point.  But as i'm a firefighter, and saw what could happen riding bycicle on highway, maybe that's the reason why i freaked out when i saw your video.  Sorry for that.  Just have in mind what could happen if Sparky go under control and freak out... just my2c

Back to original post...
As i owned Spark for an year (hit the bridge very hard one month ago) i'll miss that option too in MM. I don't think that we'll see AC in next updates, but we can just hope that Litchi wil have something similar when it comes out.

Happy flying(not on highway)!

Cheers
2020-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Adriano Araujo Posted at 1-27 10:58
Fair.

I would take the risk.

I think the reason no Active track is no OA, and the poster has a real point what you’re doing is pretty hazardous, the mere fact you are not in control is where the real problem lies, I seem to remember you posting a video of you flying AT and drone went rogue, can you imagine if the same thing happens and drone smashes into a car windscreen , now can you imagine so many new Mavic mini users using their drones on our highways .
2020-1-27
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

I think without collision sensors the "follow me" function is just a bet of not having crashes.
2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

Visual Air Posted at 1-27 11:09
The spark has it and its also about $400 dollars more to purchase in some areas. Perhaps the MM should have been about $800 to cover all the features everyone is complaining about.
If you want good active track then perhaps invest in the Mavic pro 2 or wait for the M pro 3 to be released.

I got your point and it has it´s logic.

But I think it´s just a software implementation. Hardware is already there.
2020-1-27
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

please, not another "why is there no active-track" post.
I am tired about this.
2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

RePrEsEnT Posted at 1-27 11:39
Man, belive me, I've got the point.  But as i'm a firefighter, and saw what could happen riding bycicle on highway, maybe that's the reason why i freaked out when i saw your video.  Sorry for that.  Just have in mind what could happen if Sparky go under control and freak out... just my2c

Back to original post...

Really thank you for your concern.

Life is not easy. It´s about to do things and take the risk. I *LOVE* to ride my roadbikeon  highway shoulders, and I am aware of the risks it brings. ... And I don´t do it as often as I would like due to that risks.

I can garantee that using the drone did not add extra risk on top of that I was already taking riding on higways. ;-)

2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 1-27 11:56
I think the reason no Active track is no OA, and the poster has a real point what you’re doing is pretty hazardous, the mere fact you are not in control is where the real problem lies, I seem to remember you posting a video of you flying AT and drone went rogue, can you imagine if the same thing happens and drone smashes into a car windscreen , now can you imagine so many new Mavic mini users using their drones on our highways .

"AT and drone went rogue"

Yes. This same spark hit a pole. Broke an arm. I glued it and it´s great since that (1,5yrs ago).

Surely using a drone on a Highway is not the smartest thing to do. But the images came great ;-)
2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

UweE Posted at 1-27 12:12
please, not another "why is there no active-track" post.
I am tired about this.

Sorry about that.

I don´t own a MM. Would buy one today if it had AT.
2020-1-27
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

I am also a racing cyclist, but I would never think of using AT. Not only you run into danger by distraction, but also noninvolved peoples, which is worse. The drone loses its target and crashes into a car! Also to use AT like in these video looks very boring. I would like to know what the police say when they see me waving to a drone which flies 5 meters beside a highway. Where AT would be really nice while cycling, it wouldn't work. Downhill through the forest, curves, serpentines in the mountains, high speeds, etc. Helmet cameras like GoPro are ideal for this and also made for it. AT might be good for walking or hiking, but on a bike? Never ... at least not for me.
2020-1-27
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Visual Air Posted at 1-27 11:09

Oh good another feature hater
2020-1-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-27 13:09

And another person who bought the cheapest drone in the DJI line and then whines about having it upgraded.
2020-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Adriano Araujo Posted at 1-27 12:32
"AT and drone went rogue"

Yes. This same spark hit a pole. Broke an arm. I glued it and it´s great since that (1,5yrs ago).

Your right it’s not the smartest thing to do, your wrong about images being great, I’m afraid this is a face only a mother could love ;+)..:::...;;
2020-1-27
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Adriano Araujo Posted at 1-27 12:10
I got your point and it has it´s logic.

But I think it´s just a software implementation. Hardware is already there.

I know I get it. But the hard truth is the Marketing world. . Most companies are not going to sell their top lined models for their entry level units. Thats just how it is. You can't expect to invest large dollars for a tricked out Inpire 2 and think the Mini should have the same features?
Trust me I would like all those features as well, but that's life you get what you pay for...
2020-1-27
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-27 13:09

Thanks for your contribution.
2020-1-27
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

jonny007 Posted at 1-27 12:54
I am also a racing cyclist, but I would never think of using AT. Not only you run into danger by distraction, but also noninvolved peoples, which is worse. The drone loses its target and crashes into a car! Also to use AT like in these video looks very boring. I would like to know what the police say when they see me waving to a drone which flies 5 meters beside a highway. Where AT would be really nice while cycling, it wouldn't work. Downhill through the forest, curves, serpentines in the mountains, high speeds, etc. Helmet cameras like GoPro are ideal for this and also made for it. AT might be good for walking or hiking, but on a bike? Never ... at least not for me.

I use AT a lot, to register my "adventures". Can consider myself an "AT Expert".

"Also to use AT like in these video looks very boring"

Really? What would you do diferently? 59 seconds with lot´s of different takes looks okay to me. Really, I would appreciate your feedback. I am allways trying to improve my storytelling capabilities.

" Downhill through the forest, curves, serpentines in the mountains, high speeds, etc"

Did you see Skydio 2?

"AT might be good for walking or hiking, but on a bike? Never ... at least not for me."

That would look boring, in my sense. WOuld you agree?

Best regars man! ;-)
2020-1-28
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 1-27 14:22
Your right it’s not the smartest thing to do, your wrong about images being great, I’m afraid this is a face only a mother could love ;+)..:::...;;

LOL :-D

Wife likes too (I GUESS)... lol....
2020-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Adriano Araujo Posted at 1-28 03:08
LOL :-D

Wife likes too (I GUESS)... lol....

Ok fair enough, look after yourself .
2020-1-28
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

Wouldn't the biggest reason be there is no active track because there are no obstacle avoidance sensors?

In that video with the bike rider had a road sign or overhanging tree branch or any other obstacle been in the path of the drone it would have crashed. Then we'd have to study flight logs to determine what happened.

There are a lot of products that are useless to me because they don't do something.

I'd buy a Roomba but it can't climb stairs, it'd useless without that feature. I should find the Roomba forum and complain until they add that feature.

So the Mini is the wrong tool for you, there are plenty of other options and you appear to have one of those options as evidenced by your video.

I've said this before, the Mini is the Gateway drone. I will be upgrading to the Mavic 2 Pro or I might wait for a 3 but either way the Mini got me hooked and I know how to get all the really cool features, just open my wallet.
2020-1-28
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Visual Air Posted at 1-27 20:03
I know I get it. But the hard truth is the Marketing world. . Most companies are not going to sell their top lined models for their entry level units. Thats just how it is. You can't expect to invest large dollars for a tricked out Inpire 2 and think the Mini should have the same features?
Trust me I would like all those features as well, but that's life you get what you pay for...

I'm affraid that sales managers are wrong. How many customers would upgrade because of missing Panoramatic shot, White balance or short tracking shot feature (a small software features that MM onboard electronic should be capable of)? If there is 99% of Mini perfectly fine for them. If the entry level Spark had those features? I guess zerro to none, no financial profit for company. On the contrary they only can lose customers this way...
2020-1-28
Use props
Replayman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45974 ft
Czechia

We must only wait for next updates or wait for SDK and Litchi
2020-1-28
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 1-28 04:19
Wouldn't the biggest reason be there is no active track because there are no obstacle avoidance sensors?

In that video with the bike rider had a road sign or overhanging tree branch or any other obstacle been in the path of the drone it would have crashed. Then we'd have to study flight logs to determine what happened.

This argument doesn't really hold water as many of the DJI drones actually disable their OA sensors above a certain speed and that speed is not ridiculously high, something like 20km/h for the Spark if I remember correctly. So DJI previously had no problems with letting their drones fly blind during AT.
2020-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

virtual Posted at 1-28 04:56
I'm affraid that sales managers are wrong. How many customers would upgrade because of missing Panoramatic shot, White balance or short tracking shot feature (a small software features that MM onboard electronic should be capable of)? If there is 99% of Mini perfectly fine for them. If the entry level Spark had those features? I guess zerro to none, no financial profit for company. On the contrary they only can lose customers this way...

I think that the success of mini has guaranteed many new customers, I don’t expect they will introduce all your looking for, I’m not even sure they will introduce any, everything for me will be a bonus, but I was clear when I purchased what I was getting.
I think a big part of this is that people buy a new drone and start to look at what other drones have to offer, they then feel as though they are entitled in some way.
I have to say I really like the mini and all it has to offer, I like it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that I and most others will never use or maybe use once.

I think be patient you might get something, but if you don’t you shouldn’t be disappointed you got basically what you paid for .
2020-1-28
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

"So the Mini is the wrong tool for you, there are plenty of other options...the Mini is the Gateway drone."

Got your point. Fair enought.

I would just love if the mini has this.... has that..... but it just don´t ;-)

Cheers!
2020-1-28
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

Ice_2k Posted at 1-28 05:15
This argument doesn't really hold water as many of the DJI drones actually disable their OA sensors above a certain speed and that speed is not ridiculously high, something like 20km/h for the Spark if I remember correctly. So DJI previously had no problems with letting their drones fly blind during AT.

Yes. Spark at 20km/h. On top of that, most of my ActiveTracks spark is flying sideways and even backways... no OA at all.

I just acept, calculate and mitigate the risks.
2020-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 1-28 05:15

You must first accept a disclaimer to run without OA .
2020-1-28
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Adriano Araujo Posted at 1-28 03:07
I use AT a lot, to register my "adventures". Can consider myself an "AT Expert".

"Also to use AT like in these video looks very boring"

If you like the videos from yourself, then it's good. Apart from the fact that drones are dangerous "road users". I think videos are also for showing them to someone else, in this case now me :-) I saw it and found it boring. Highway, traffic signs, road surface, cars .... no sea, no lake, no river, no palm trees, no mountains, no sights in the background ... nothing ... just a road with a slow cyclist and fast cars. I can't give you any tips and frankly don't know what I should do with AT and don't need it either. But there are a lot of people who want that. For what ? I don't know, maybe for jogging, hiking and walking, which would be too boring for you. ;-) Ok, I would say each to their own. Well, I wouldn't be upset if it came.

Ah, maybe a tip for road bike tours: film beautiful sections and downhills with the helmet camera and if you get to nice places and locations in between, explore them with the drone (video and pictures). So you also have a visual sequence of your tour and more beautiful shots than just a (dangerous) street.
2020-1-28
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

jonny007 Posted at 1-28 11:05
If you like the videos from yourself, then it's good. Apart from the fact that drones are dangerous "road users". I think videos are also for showing them to someone else, in this case now me :-) I saw it and found it boring. Highway, traffic signs, road surface, cars .... no sea, no lake, no river, no palm trees, no mountains, no sights in the background ... nothing ... just a road with a slow cyclist and fast cars. I can't give you any tips and frankly don't know what I should do with AT and don't need it either. But there are a lot of people who want that. For what ? I don't know, maybe for jogging, hiking and walking, which would be too boring for you. ;-) Ok, I would say each to their own. Well, I wouldn't be upset if it came.

Ah, maybe a tip for road bike tours: film beautiful sections and downhills with the helmet camera and if you get to nice places and locations in between, explore them with the drone (video and pictures). So you also have a visual sequence of your tour and more beautiful shots than just a (dangerous) street.

"Ah, maybe a tip for road bike tours: film beautiful sections and downhills with the helmet camera and if you get to nice places and locations in between, explore them with the drone (video and pictures). So you also have a visual sequence of your tour and more beautiful shots than just a (dangerous) street."

Sounds good to add a second perspective (POV). Will try.
2020-1-28
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

The spark only had front OA,  so it happily used active track in profile mode without it, so that argument doesn’t really hold

And your roomba analogy is not accurate either.  It would be more accurate to say that Roomba 1, would auto return and charge itself but roomba 2 didn’t. It is physically possible for it to do it, but they decided in programming not to provide that feature.

But the lack of AT is well known so you are right, you can’t just complain about it.  You can however request it be added as it’s perfectly capable with programming.  I’m hoping DJI decide to do this, as well as pano photos.   They are features I miss from the Spark.

Remember that the spark was the first to have things like Gesture Control and Active Track (i think).  People in the mavic community kept asking for it (even though it was never advertised as a feature) and DJI added it later to the mavic range.   

So there is nothing wrong with asking for this.  I’d you are against this, you don’t have to use it.
2020-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 1-28 12:13
The spark only had front OA,  so it happily used active track in profile mode without it, so that argument doesn’t really hold

And your roomba analogy is not accurate either.  It would be more accurate to say that Roomba 1, would auto return and charge itself but roomba 2 didn’t. It is physically possible for it to do it, but they decided in programming not to provide that feature.

Phantom 4 was the first dji drone to have active track and the first to have OA it was also a feature of Mavic pro before spark , spark used OA in Active track as all Dji drones do with the exception of fast AT which can only be used with M2 and P4 2V. And you must electronically sign a waiver to use it .

2020-1-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules