Mavic mini lost control and sank
935 4 2020-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dylan99
lvl.1

Australia

Today I was flying my mini capturing some surfing, the conditions were perfect, light winds, sunny and great surf.

After using up the first battery, I came back popped a full charged one in and off it went.

Then after a couple of minutes it started to play up, it accelerated going backwards and the video was at an angle (it was in gimbal mode). I was struggling to control it and eventually pressed return to home. At that point it was already on its way down and just went very quickly into the water. It was going over 40mph at times when out of control.

Here is a link to the flight log - https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/AP627IEO51ZS68YFRXN6/

This is a link to the first battery log, the speeds were normal here - https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ANGR7HPD5ZAH6694RWXV/

2020-1-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Dylan,

Sorry for your MM loss.

No errors in your log, but something went crazy in your MM.

What i see is that just after take off the heading indication goes from takeoff heading 104 to 337 and further to 70.Did it really made a right turn like that? guess it did in sport mode, possible as you gave yaw right input.

What i see is that the other yaw signal remains the same, normally they change values in the same way.
See upper chart. (yellow part is yaw heading with zero input, so only horizontal lines are good)
So at  the point where the yellow line goes vertical, internal discrepancy with yaw/compass signals so corrections made by the software to keep postion are offset to the needed correction; things goes worse and worse....
At the end when it went out of control you see the lines changes it heading to each other
In the lower chart i manually align the lines (about ID300), so you can see they go apart at th end of the flight where your in control problem started.

Speed calculation by MM and by just GPS values shows then different values as well.

This all indicates a yaw/compass/imu error.

Or a compass interference did 'enter' your MM at take of point wich result in the going crazy at the end.
Or a failure on a component during flight did cause this crash.

My advice is to contact DJI, they can help you. Seen some flights like yours where DJI did replace the MM.

PS1in the little chart your other flight ; see that the both lines do show the same heading changes.

PS2
mayby mayby....  if you had performed after takeoff checks, check compass heading versus the actual heading (yaw left turn, yaw right turn), if error started just after takeoff you would have seen this.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis3.png
analysis4.png
2020-1-28
Use props
Dylan99
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks so much for the info.

In sport mode the yaw is very fast, to fast to use for my skills while shooting but sport mode is needed for what I was doing today.

DJI are looking into it, lets see what happens there.

Is this common on any of their other drones. I was keen to get a Mavic Pro but this has put me off to be honest.
2020-1-28
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Dylan99 Posted at 1-28 01:25
Thanks so much for the info.

In sport mode the yaw is very fast, to fast to use for my skills while shooting but sport mode is needed for what I was doing today.

Let´s hope they send one back to you.
Keep us posted.
2020-1-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dylan99. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this unfortunate incident happened. Kindly please contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.
2020-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules