whats best phone or tablet for use on a sunny hot day
7685 28 2020-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffadelaide
lvl.1
Australia

I have read all about what phones to use or tablets but can some one say how their screens look on a hot sunny day because how can you fly if you cant see your screen. i live in south australia and it gets very hot at times, i have the ipad mini 4 and thats not always readable in sunlight and on a hot day it overheats very quickly and shuts down, shade cannot always be found to stand in.
i also have a samsung s6 phone but thats not readable on a bright day but is a bit better with a matt screen protector on.
so when people give recommendations of what screen to use talking about how it looks in daylight would be a good starting point.
I dont want to waste money on another phone thats not readable, my first table was a mini 2 and even with a shade cover on still totally useless, thats why i went to the 4 , but it has over problems.
Ant recommendations will be looked at.
2020-1-27
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Most phone and tablets will only peak for a short period of time at max brightness due to overheating.
There is nothing that works with DJI Fly that you will give a constant 1000 nits of brightness, however technically the Samsung Note 8 is said to have a peak brightness of 1200nits in "automatic brightness mode"

With the Ipad Mini 4 , have you got it loaded with a lot of other apps or is only for DJI Fly use ?
You can reduce the load on the CPU if you turn off the "cache when recording" in the DJI Fly  advanced shooting settings
Also turning off "overexposure warning" and "video subtitles" might help
2020-1-27
Use props
jeffadelaide
lvl.1
Australia

lannes Posted at 1-27 23:12
Most phone and tablets will on peak for a short period of time at max brightness due to overheating.
There is nothing that works with DJI Fly that you will give a constant 1000 nits of brightness

Hi thanks i only use the mini for the drone, i will try turning off the cache when recording and if i turn down the screen brightness  i probably wont see it at all. thanks.
2020-1-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day jeffadelaide. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots on what mobile device they are using on this scenario. In addition please use a recommended mobile device for your DJI Mavic Mini for compatibility and reliability purposes. Thank you and for reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini.

2020-1-28
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

I use a Samsung Note 8, which is very bright, and still, I find the display difficult to see in sunlight.  So I have used a cardboard box to help shield the display.

This helps a lot but is still not as good as I would like because it's hard for my eyes to adjust between looking up at the drone directly and then back down at the display.

So a super bright display would be nice to find.  However, from what I've read, my Note 8 is, indeed, the brightest display available.

I do think a box or other sun shade is the only answer.  It not only helps me to see the display, but keeps the sun off of the phone so that would probably help with your overheating issue.

Normally, I run my Note 8 fairly dim to improve battery life and avoid burn-in of the display.  But for flying the Mini, I turn the brightness up as high as possible.

Someone would sell a lot of tablets if they came out with one that is extremely bright and worked with the Mini.
2020-1-28
Use props
jeffadelaide
lvl.1
Australia

Sigmo Posted at 1-28 13:59
I use a Samsung Note 8, which is very bright, and still, I find the display difficult to see in sunlight.  So I have used a cardboard box to help shield the display.

This helps a lot but is still not as good as I would like because it's hard for my eyes to adjust between looking up at the drone directly and then back down at the display.

Hi thanks for the info i did read about that model and was thinking of the s8 so your information has been helpfull even considering the hauwei mate 20 pro but i might have to do a sunshade, one would think they would have a decent display by now, i can read my amazon kindle in bright sunlight would be interesting to see the Fly app in black and white. thanks. jeff
2020-1-28
Use props
yamyamu
lvl.2
Netherlands

lannes Posted at 1-27 23:12
Most phone and tablets will only peak for a short period of time at max brightness due to overheating.
There is nothing that works with DJI Fly that you will give a constant 1000 nits of brightness, however technically the Samsung Note 8 is said to have a peak brightness of 1200nits in "automatic brightness mode"

Also as a Note 9 user, I can confirm that 1200 nits is not a gimmick, you can see the screen under direct summer sunlight. However, it messes the colors and tints a little bit white'ish'. If they don't care about true colors, these guys can use it even under sun.
2020-1-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Samsung Note 8 is really your best bet.  Of the 3 mobile devices I have used to fly the MM I find the Note 8 easiest to see on a bright sunny day.   You may be able to find a good used Note 8 for a reasonable price.  Good luck in your search.
2020-1-28
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
France

The Visor X !!! Then you fly in fpv for 37€/$
2020-5-2
Use props
Aerialphoto2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 265338 ft

United States

I am flying both of my  Mavic pro and Air2  with this tablet www.tripltek.com   and I can not be happier. Before I was flying with the CrystalSky 7 , but after realize that is not compatible with my Mavic Air 2 , I sold it and bought the Tripltek. I have to say is has the same or better quality that the CrstalSky , I can edit the videos faster  because it is a 10 core CPU. and I can use it for other Android APPS. I bought it in Amazon
2020-9-18
Use props
Yoimi-Dron
lvl.2
Flight distance : 265338 ft

United States

2020-11-12
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I use a sun shield off amazon
2020-11-12
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

OnePlus 8 Pro
2020-11-13
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
Australia

Aerialphoto2 Posted at 9-18 16:32
I am flying both of my  Mavic pro and Air2  with this tablet www.tripltek.com   and I can not be happier. Before I was flying with the CrystalSky 7 , but after realize that is not compatible with my Mavic Air 2 , I sold it and bought the Tripltek. I have to say is has the same or better quality that the CrstalSky , I can edit the videos faster  because it is a 10 core CPU. and I can use it for other Android APPS. I bought it in Amazon

After having the same overheating problems (I live in Tropical North Queensland Australia) with my iPad mini 4 and inability to see the screen in bright sunlight I have also ordered the Tripltek 7“ Pro tablet.

On some forums there is some discussion regarding the Android operating system being outdated and being obsolete. I have contacted Tripltek support and this is their response:  “The DJI Smartconroller is working on Android 6, just to give you an idea. The Tablet is running Android 8.1 and Android 9.0 on the PRO version . Newer Android versions do not support the fast discharging rate needed for the brightness display. This is a device focused on stability and reliability“. They also said “Security patches will be always updated automatically through the System. Newer Android versions will be checked by our team first and determine if they will send it to the Tablets.“

This Tripltek response was quick and reassuring - I have ordered mine (on sale till 12th Jan 2021).

2020-12-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mpwobbly Posted at 12-29 06:35
After having the same overheating problems (I live in Tropical North Queensland Australia) with my iPad mini 4 and inability to see the screen in bright sunlight I have also ordered the Tripltek 7“ Pro tablet.

On some forums there is some discussion regarding the Android operating system being outdated and being obsolete. I have contacted Tripltek support and this is their response:  “The DJI Smartconroller is working on Android 6, just to give you an idea. The Tablet is running Android 8.1 and Android 9.0 on the PRO version . Newer Android versions do not support the fast discharging rate needed for the brightness display. This is a device focused on stability and reliability“. They also said “Security patches will be always updated automatically through the System. Newer Android versions will be checked by our team first and determine if they will send it to the Tablets.“

On some forums there is some discussion regarding the Android operating system being outdated and being obsolete.
Those suggestions are uninformed.
Just because the device isn't using the latest version of Android doesn't mean that it's outdated.
And to suggest the device or the operating system is obsolete is just ignorant.
2020-12-29
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

I use a huawei mediapad m3 8 lite with a sun shield, but the high gloss screen is hopeless, so I bought these matt screen protectors problem solved.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BROTECT ... ction/dp/B074FTYK81
2020-12-29
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yoimi-Dron Posted at 11-12 19:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwqBIH31YU

Very nice but just don't see the full value of owning one.
2020-12-29
Use props
robwasil
lvl.1

United States

I think that has about the brightest screen you can get in a cell phone.  Have you had any heat issues with it cranked up?  Thinking of getting this as my next phone or possibly the 9 when it comes out.
2020-12-31
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

robwasil Posted at 2020-12-31 13:17
I think that has about the brightest screen you can get in a cell phone.  Have you had any heat issues with it cranked up?  Thinking of getting this as my next phone or possibly the 9 when it comes out.

I didn't test it, but I have very good references about it.
2021-1-8
Use props
Astro Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

I use a Samsung S8 and it works fine in direct sun when cranked up. I do try to position my body to create shade on all and that helps both in viewing as well as keeping everything cooler. However, pretty sure I don't have the heat issues you have. A hot day for me would be 95-100 F. I run Android version 8 and no issues at all.......thus far ;-)
2021-1-8
Use props
Astro Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

Aerialphoto2 Posted at 2020-9-18 16:32

;I have been considering the Tipltech tablet BUT it appears that it doesn't have HDMI output which is a a negative for me. Other than that it looks like a good choice.
2021-1-8
Use props
fans776d8532
New

Australia

mpwobbly Posted at 2020-12-29 06:35

On some forums there is some discussion regarding the Android operating system being outdated and being obsolete. I have contacted Tripltek support and this is their response:  “The DJI Smartconroller is working on Android 6, just to give you an idea. The Tablet is running Android 8.1 and Android 9.0 on the PRO version . Newer Android versions do not support the fast discharging rate needed for the brightness display. This is a device focused on stability and reliability“. They also said “Security patches will be always updated automatically through the System. Newer Android versions will be checked by our team first and determine if they will send it to the Tablets.“

I'd love to hear your thought's on this Pro Version of the TriplTek tablet.  It looks great but details are hard to find.
2021-1-10
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Doesn't bode very well... the trouble with the Fly app is that it requires a 64bit version of Android which is not often implemented.
2021-1-10
Use props
djiuser_NEzWwPxqzvno
lvl.1
Flight distance : 524675 ft
United States

I am using the lg g7 because it has 1000 nits boosted-but for only 3 minutes.   It's great at 1000 nits.   so I had a programmer design me a program that allows the phone to run longer in boosted mode.   It works fine.  if it is hot outside and the phone is overheating,  there seems to be a temperature detection phase that shuts down brightness but I've only encountered this a couple of times in the full sun.
2021-6-27
Use props
djiuser_9zSHhOngnpgs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2081283 ft

Hungary

djiuser_NEzWwPxqzvno Posted at 2021-6-27 14:14
I am using the lg g7 because it has 1000 nits boosted-but for only 3 minutes.   It's great at 1000 nits.   so I had a programmer design me a program that allows the phone to run longer in boosted mode.   It works fine.  if it is hot outside and the phone is overheating,  there seems to be a temperature detection phase that shuts down brightness but I've only encountered this a couple of times in the full sun.

Hi, I also want to buy an lg g7 phone. Is this software available?
2022-5-15
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

djiuser_9zSHhOngnpgs Posted at 5-15 22:38
Hi, I also want to buy an lg g7 phone. Is this software available?

This thread is a year old. The current list of approved devices has been greatly reduced for the latest version of DJI Fly. You can find it here.
https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2022-5-16
Use props
CaptainRon1
lvl.1
United States

lannes Posted at 2020-1-27 23:12
Most phone and tablets will only peak for a short period of time at max brightness due to overheating.

Hi, I am using the lg g7 at 1000 nits with it's boost but easy enough to download an app that will keep it boosted all the time.
2023-4-13
Use props
CaptainRon1
lvl.1
United States

CaptainRon1 Posted at 4-13 21:13
Hi, I am using the lg g7 at 1000 nits with it's boost but easy enough to download an app that will keep it boosted all the time.

Galaxy note 8 gets to about 750 nits with over 1000 nits in the sun.
2023-4-13
Use props
CaptainRon1
lvl.1
United States

CaptainRon1 Posted at 4-13 21:16
Galaxy note 8 gets to about 750 nits with over 1000 nits in the sun.

I am using the lg g7 at 1000 nits with it's boost but easy enough to download an app that will keep it boosted all the time.

The app is called setedit from the play store. Look for the screen_boost_off_timeout and change the value to 3000000 ms. this will give you 50 minutes of 1000 nits screen for sunny day use. The lg g7 is inexpensive and work freaking great. Enjoy fellow pilots.
2023-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules