Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini down - flyaway story
1234Next >
7086 122 2020-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ewa i Piotr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1288776 ft
Poland

After just a couple of flights my Mavic Mini made a flyaway and crashed. How it happened:

It was midday, on open ground (no buildings or IT infrastructure in sight) near a highway bridge. Wind was low (around 3 m/s), KP 3, a bit cloudy, but with good visiblity and no precipitation. I started and raised Mini to 2 meters above ground. There I made some pitches left and right and a few short (2-3 meters) flights in every direction with return to start point after every flight. All seemed allright, drone responsive, GPS count over 10. I stood maybe 3 meters from the drone and moved it up - the idea was to take a picture of the bridge from above. I raised the Mini to almost 30 meters and stopped. Mini was stable, no indicated problems with wind or whatever. I started a slow pitch to the right, to look along the bridge. In this moment I didn't touch the right stick at all. In the middle of the pitch my Mini started to fly away - very fast, lowering altitude and in the direction of the bridge. It did not respond to controls. In seconds it crashed on the highway.

I managed to retrieve what was left from the Mini. I have sent it to DJI service center together with description. I also uploaded logs to the cloud, so the service has all necessary data about this flight.

I must admit I am a control freak and that was traumatic. Drone was really close (maybe 3 meters horizontal and up to 30 meters vertical from me), no signs of any problem, open green area, good weather. Flyaway was not nice, but really terrible was that it flew right into the highway. I am happy there was no accident with car.

Waiting for verdict and explanation from service.

Firmware was freshly installed 1.0.4 - first fly with this firmware.
2020-1-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ewa i Piotr. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini. In addition, thank you for contacting DJI support for us to be able to assist you further. We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-1-28
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Possible compass interference... for what, bridge beams ? Possibly faulty logics...

Keep us posted. Do you have CR ? Saddened for your loss
2020-1-28
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

^if the bridge beams caused this drone to flyaway and crash....I'm speechless.
2020-1-28
Use props
davidms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

post logs please.
2020-1-28
Use props
NSW_mmuser
lvl.1
United States

my relatively new mavic mini with recent firmware update has started acting erratically. eg. descends rapidly without control. Fortunately I noticed this erratic behaviour prior to sending it along way away. It was always within 50 metres of me to run to where it was falling. DJI have told me to send it in for repair. Having seen your post, I feel better knowing not just mine is not working properly
2020-1-28
Use props
Ewa i Piotr
Second Officer
Poland

Is this logs?
Last log
2020-1-28
Use props
Ewa i Piotr
Second Officer
Poland

The Saint Posted at 1-28 15:18
^if the bridge beams caused this drone to flyaway and crash....I'm speechless.

Waiting for verdict, but... there was direct LOS, drone was a little more than 30 meters from me, above brigde and steady - until fly away.
2020-1-28
Use props
Ewa i Piotr
Second Officer
Poland

m80116 Posted at 1-28 15:13
Possible compass interference... for what, bridge beams ? Possibly faulty logics...

Keep us posted. Do you have CR ? Saddened for your loss

Yes, I have active DJI Care and send dead body back, so in worst case I count on exchange based on DJI Care. Though I suspect it should be on warranty, as condictions were good and I didn't do anything risky.
2020-1-28
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
First Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Hope you get a new one my friend
2020-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ewa i Piotr Posted at 1-28 15:26
Is this logs?
Last log

Here's what your data looks like:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5AWG24410MP61TOSMJDK/
The drone crashed at 1:24.4 and after that some sensor data may be unreliable.

Your incident  description and data suggest a Yaw Error situation which is usually caused by launching from a magnetically affected site.
The most common cause is launching from reinforced concrete with the steel inside the concrete affecting the initialisation of the drone.
2020-1-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Looks like you powered drone up on downstream side of bridge, walked drone under bridge to upstream side (17-seconds later); then proceeded test drone; before proceeding to mission.
Correct?

For short period, drone had only 4-satellites.  Then goes up to 9-satellites bouncing between 9 & 10 satellites.  Before getting "GPS Position NoMatch", the satellite count went up first to 11-satellites, then 12-satellites, and back down to 10-satellites.

Wondering if drone picked up satellites from one part of sky on power up (due to bridge blocking other part of sky), then started switching to satellites in another part of sky (on opposite side of bridge), picking up a mix of different satellites, finally resulting in "GPS Position NoMatch" - as a result of switching?
2020-1-28
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like compass error from your description.  These usually don't pop up until you fly a bit away from the mag-deviated launch point & start yawing.  Then all Hell breaks loose & it appears your bird is possessed.   What was the surface from which you launched?  Bridge?  Concrete roadway?

EDIT:  Just saw your log analysis.  Looks like this was the case.

2020-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Unfortunately this happens to often, but looks like problem with compass , it’s really up to dji to see how they handle this, it could go in your favor I’ve seen it before, but at least you have care refresh as a backup.
I will explain below how this might have happened.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.

While I can’t be certain you picked up interference from the ground or surrounding area it is the most common cause.
2020-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Compass distances.

Natural and Artificial Magnetic Anomalies Warning
Note
The following information has not been objectively tested to determine it’s impact on a Drones compass accuracy in flight.
        1        Many things can distort the earth’s magnetic field in the area you are flying:
        •        Steel framed or reinforced concrete buildings, bridges and roadways, iron pipes and culverts, high power electric lines, heavy equipment, trucks and automobiles, steel tanks, electric motors and even computers.
        •        Flying between steel framed or reinforced high rise buildings will distort the magnetic field in addition to causing GPS multi-pathing.
        2        Safe distances for compass calibration
        •        6” (15 cm) minimum: Metal rim glasses, pen/pencil, metal watch band, pocket knife, metal zipper/buttons, belt buckle, batteries, binoculars, cell phone, keys, camera, camcorder, survey nails, metal tape measure.
        •        18” (50 cm) minimum: Clipboard, data collector, computer, GPS antenna, 2-way radio, hand gun, hatchet, cell phone case with magnetic closure.
        •        6 ft (2 m) minimum: Bicycle, fire hydrant, road signs, sewer cap or drain, steel pole, ATV, guy wire, magnets, chain-link fence, bar-wire fence, data collectors
that use a magnet to hold the stylus.
        •        15 ft (5 m) minimum: Electrical box, small car/truck, powerline, building with concrete & steel.
        •        30 ft (10 m) minimum: Large truck, metal building, heavy machinery.
2020-1-28
Use props
Mizzu
First Officer
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-28 17:37
Compass distances.

Nice. Thanks a lot for this list.
So it could in theory already be a Problem when i calibrate the compas while i hold my rc with the phone connected in my other hand. Interesting
2020-1-28
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-28 15:59
Here's what your data looks like:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5AWG24410MP61TOSMJDK/
The drone crashed at 1:24.4 and after that some sensor data may be unreliable.

Full 90° attitude angle change rates are pretty crazy from 1:25.3 to 1:25.4 to 1:25.6 to 1:25.7 w/ no user control input.  DJI should just turn the Mini/Spark design into a racing quad.  To get that kind of attitude transition in the logs requires Acro mode.  No way can you pull that off in attitude, horizon, or level-flight mode.
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
2020-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 1-28 22:16
Full 90° attitude angle change rates are pretty crazy from 1:25.4 to 1:25.4 to 1:25.6 to 1:25.7 w/ no user control input.  DJI should just turn the Mini/Spark design into a racer quad.  To get that kind of attitude transition in the logs requires Acro mode.  No way can you pull that off in attitude, horizon, or level-flight mode.

Full 90° attitude angle change rates are pretty crazy from 1:25.4 to 1:25.4 to 1:25.6 w/ user control input.

I wonder what might have caused that?
It's a long shot but I wonder if perhaps it was related to the collision that happened at 1:24.4 ??
2020-1-28
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-28 22:22
Full 90° attitude angle change rates are pretty crazy from 1:25.4 to 1:25.4 to 1:25.6 w/ user control input.
I wonder what might have caused that?
It's a long shot but I wonder if it might be related to the collision that happened at 1:24.4 ??

Yeah, maybe a bird hit it.
2020-1-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 1-28 22:23
Yeah, maybe a bird hit it.

Or perhaps a bridge if there were any nearby.
2020-1-28
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

c
2020-1-28
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A typical example of yaw/compass error just after take off.

In this flight the first 18 seconds in OPTI, no satellites bad reception. Seen more flight started like this and than compass/yaw errors....but no logic behind or ??

Good to see that it goes wrong when the yaw values do split in the data, see chart. (so good indication for trouble shooting)

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-1-29
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

So... I took a bit of time to look at your flight log.

Your Mini took off w/out GPS near a highway bridge, not a great start but will do.

I can speculate the Mini started drifting w/out notice because of wind (as you were peaking at 97 ft), it's not rare when wind ground speed is around 3 m/s to have gusts in excess of 15 m/s at height. That's in my opinion why it was drifting away, the drone can compensate for the wind but cannot recover position w/out stick input when the gust overcomes the momentary ability of the drone to hold position against the wind.

For what I can see no position stick input has been made during all the drifting arc until the moment of the impact (likely with the brdige truss suspending the structure) except for a full and momentary downward CSI to which the AC responded correctly.

If you did not input any rCS (right control stick) I believe what happened is the direct result of your flying choices.

I am sorry for your accident.
2020-1-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 1-29 00:32

In this flight the first 18 seconds in OPTI, no satellites bad reception. Seen more flight started like this and than compass/yaw errors....but no logic behind or ??

It's just coincidence.
The damage is done when the drone is initialising and is independent of whether GPS location data is acquired or not.
2020-1-29
Use props
virtual
Captain
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 1-28 17:37
Compass distances.

Sad and scary reading in this thread. I hope that Ewa a Piotr will be flying soon again.
I looks like accurate and patient pre-flight check would be good practice for MM owners.
Thank You hallmark007 for these numbers, goood to know. How abot water wells and water pipes or powerlines in the ground? They're sometimes hard to spot...
2020-1-29
Use props
Steven So
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10010 ft
Hong Kong

1. 00:01 Take off with gpdNum=0 and gpsLevel=0 [No GPS signal at all]
2. 00:04 You push RC throttle, raising from 1.1m to 1.9m with no GPS signal
3. 00:18 Had enough GPS signal (gpsNum=9, gpsLevel=4) and updated Home Point, the drone Home point should be set wrongly as you push RC rudder (turn) and elevator (forward) stick before, together with wind drift under ATTI mode.
4. 00:19 - 01:22 Fly normal
5. 01:22~ Without RC control, the drone fry away with full speed (11-12 m/s forward, 1-1.9m/s downward)
6. 01:24.8 Not enough Power error
7. 01:24.9 GPS Position non Match
8. 01:25.5 Motor Blocked
9. 01:26~  Compass and GPS failure
10 01:29.5 Altitude lower than take off height (-1.8m)
11. 01:33 Rollover on Ground

From the above data, the drone may be crashed on bridge-side around 1:25. The main concern was the uncontrolled flyaway from 01:22. I don't think it is a GPS problem, as the lat and long data are continue during the flight. Compass problem.... maybe, as a wrong compass data may cause uncertain behavior.  Note that the speed of the drone was once as fast as 16.6m/s, which is a very fast speed for Mini (max speed of Mini under sport mode is 13 m/s). My guess is there was a compass problem when the drone flied near the edge of the bridge, as the wind blow the drone start to yaw to maintain its position. But under a wrong compass direction, the drone just flyaway on a greater speed together with the wind blow. The uncontrolled drone then hit the bridge and crash.
2020-1-29
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 1-29 02:52
It's just coincidence.

Yep, i know there is no casaul link, but it looks like it happens to users who start to fly like this more....

2020-1-29
Use props
Ewa i Piotr
Second Officer
Poland

Steven So Posted at 1-29 03:27
1. 00:01 Take off with gpdNum=0 and gpsLevel=0 [No GPS signal at all]
2. 00:04 You push RC throttle, raising from 1.1m to 1.9m with no GPS signal
3. 00:18 Had enough GPS signal (gpsNum=9, gpsLevel=4) and updated Home Point, the drone Home point should be set wrongly as you push RC rudder (turn) and elevator (forward) stick before, together with wind drift under ATTI mode.

Steven, thank you for you analysis. Yes, crash was arount 1:24-1:25, the rest may be result of hitting by car. "Altitude lower than take of height" - definitely total signal mishmash - Mini was on bridge, more than 20 meters above starting point.
2020-1-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Ewa i Piotr Posted at 1-29 10:22
Steven, thank you for you analysis. Yes, crash was arount 1:24-1:25, the rest may be result of hitting by car. "Altitude lower than take of height" - definitely total signal mishmash - Mini was on bridge, more than 20 meters above starting point.

Where and on what did you power On your MM?

Was MM powered up on:
- one side of bridge then carried under bridge to other side?
- grass & dirt or man-made material like concrete?
2020-1-29
Use props
Ewa i Piotr
Second Officer
Poland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-29 10:56
Where and on what did you power On your MM?

Was MM powered up on:

1. Mini was placed, powered and started on right side of the bridge (upstream side). I was also standing on this side. I didn't go under bridge nor made any flight under bridge. In fact, only crossing bridge happened  in last seconds of flight and was unintentional. And that flight was over the the bridge.
2. Starting point was on a dirt path surrounded by grass. As I can tell, there was no concrete in direct vincinity of the drone.
2020-1-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Ewa i Piotr Posted at 1-29 11:41
1. Mini was placed, powered and started on right side of the bridge (upstream side). I was also standing on this side. I didn't go under bridge nor made any flight under bridge. In fact, only crossing bridge happened  in last seconds of flight and was unintentional. And that flight was over the the bridge.
2. Starting point was on a dirt path surrounded by grass. As I can tell, there was no concrete in direct vincinity of the drone.

Making sure.  False location, initially showing drone on Left side (downstream) was result of insufficient number of GPS satellites ( 0 to 4 ) at time of starting Auto-Takeoff.

DJI should change Mavic line of firmware to where it requires an over-ride to initiate Auto-Takeoff when GPS Satellite Lock (insufficient number and signal strength) has yet to take place.  Natural for people to expect Auto-Takeoff to "automatically" check for critical flight factors prior to taking off.  

Especially when it comes to Mavic Mini, which is targeted for new to drone flyers.
2020-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

1. Mini was placed, powered and started on right side of the bridge (upstream side). I was also standing on this side. I didn't go under bridge nor made any flight under bridge. In fact, only crossing bridge happened  in last seconds of flight and was unintentional. And that flight was over the the bridge.
2. Starting point was on a dirt path surrounded by grass. As I can tell, there was no concrete in direct vincinity of the drone.

2020-1-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

1. Mini was placed, powered and started on right side of the bridge (upstream side). I was also standing on this side. I didn't go under bridge nor made any flight under bridge. In fact, only crossing bridge happened  in last seconds of flight and was unintentional. And that flight was over the the bridge.
2. Starting point was on a dirt path surrounded by grass. As I can tell, there was no concrete in direct vincinity of the drone.

"Starting point was on a dirt path surrounded by grass."

That is what it looked like from Log file.  Even in case of drone being powered up at flag on left side (the false location due to lack of GPS satellites / strength).
Unless there was ferrous metal (steel, metal pipe) or power cables burried (shallow) under dirt path, chances of magnetic interference at power-up is unlikely.

Have in past taken off very close to large steel gas/oil pipe without any compass or flight problems.

2020-1-29
Use props
Ewa i Piotr
Second Officer
Poland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-29 14:26
Making sure.  False location, initially showing drone on Left side (downstream) was result of insufficient number of GPS satellites ( 0 to 4 ) at time of starting Auto-Takeoff.

DJI should change Mavic line of firmware to where it requires an over-ride to initiate Auto-Takeoff when GPS Satellite Lock (insufficient number and signal strength) has yet to take place.  Natural for people to expect Auto-Takeoff to "automatically" check for critical flight factors prior to taking off.  

Probably you are right. I haven't been on the downstream side of the bridge.
2020-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ewa i Piotr Posted at 1-29 14:45
Probably you are right. I haven't been on the downstream side of the bridge.

Unfortunately gps was not your problem, initially take off in optical mode but as soon as you climbed you received enough gps to fly, and as you climbed gps was holding well,  as both jjb and Labroids said you had a yaw compass problem which caused your craft to go out of control whether it was on the ground or anywhere else It looks like this is what happened, if you had gps problem your craft would not have climbed higher than 16ft this is failsafe on all dji drones .

Hopefully dji will find in your favor here .
2020-1-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Follow-up remarks circling back to what I said before.  "DJI should change Mavic line of firmware to where it requires an over-ride to initiate Auto-Takeoff when GPS Satellite Lock (insufficient number and signal strength) has yet to take place. "

Even with firmware update, which added feature of "disable takeoff", DJI implemented feature with an additional requirement of "and the environment light is not sufficient"; which still allows Mavic to takeoff when there is sufficient light.

DJI adding additional "and the environment light ..." is user friendly.  However, it can give a pilot a false sense of security.  When there is sufficient light, drone can takeoff without GPS lock and fly until it reaches sufficient height for drone to switch from vision positioning to GPS.  If drone's GPS positioning is still having problems, then all that is left is ATTI mode.
2020-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Again your getting real bad information here, your drone in opti mode will not fly higher than 16ft unless it gets good gps otherwise it will be in optical mode so will not climb, your log shows clearly you had plenty of gps to fly above 16ft so safe to fly gps , the whole reason you are allowed to take off in sufficient light is because it’s quite safe to fly in opti mode but for obvious reasons it is restricted in height .
The mini is probably the only dji drone that has this failsafe and when introduced many asked for it to be added to other drones.

But we shouldn't get detracted here gps had nothing to do with your crash, it was interference that caused the crash .
2020-1-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Ewa i Piotr Posted at 1-28 15:27
Waiting for verdict, but... there was direct LOS, drone was a little more than 30 meters from me, above brigde and steady - until fly away.
"Waiting for verdict, but... there was direct LOS, drone was a little  more than 30 meters from me, above brigde and steady - until fly away."

Will be enlightening to see what DJI says was cause.
If DJI says it was result of Magnetic Interference, then DJI needs to explain in detail how they came to such conclusion.

Reason being:
In you took off from a place (dirt trail) without usual signs (concrete with rebar) of possible magnetic interefernce sources.
Drone rose to height well above possible magnetic interference without problems.  3-feet of distance will clear most sources of magnetic interference.
Drone flew sometime without showing any problems.  Going against what has been seen in known cases of magnetic interference.

Bothersome would be two other things:
1) No warning from drone about possible compass intereference.  Or even need to calibrate compass.  Latter being a sign to first try moving to different takeoff spot.
2) Any post-liftoff - pre-flying of mission check would be pointless.  In that Mavic would pass such a move forward/backward, move left/right, and turn left/right; only to suffer magnetic intereference problems (compass failure) later on in flight.

2020-1-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-29 17:26
"Waiting for verdict, but... there was direct LOS, drone was a little  more than 30 meters from me, above brigde and steady - until fly away."

Will be enlightening to see what DJI says was cause.

Your error is that you are confusing a simple warning of magnetic interference with a Yaw Error.

1) No warning from drone about possible compass intereference.  Or even need to calibrate compass.  Latter being a sign to first try moving to different takeoff spot.
That's what happens when the magnetic field is obviously too strong to be just the earth's normal magnetic field.
The trouble is that you can put your drone down in a small magnetic field, one that isn't strong enough for the flight controller to identify as being different from the earth's magnetic field, but is enough to cause the drone's IMU to initialise incorrectly.
btw .. calibrating the compass will not solve the problem of magnetic interference.

2) Any post-liftoff - pre-flying of mission check would be pointless.  In that Mavic would pass such a move forward/backward, move left/right, and turn left/right; only to suffer magnetic intereference problems (compass failure) later on in flight.
Wrong again.
A simple check of the drone's orientation in the directional indicator would identify this problem before launching.
There was no compass failure and no magnetic interference problem later in flight.
The damage was done when the drone was powering up.
It only showed up later when the drone was turned sufficiently for the flight controller to have a problem with conflicting data from the compass and its gyros.
That could have happened just a few feet from the launch spot or a couple of hundred feet away.

2020-1-29
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-29 18:57
Your error is that you are confusing a simple warning of magnetic interference with a Yaw Error.

If people just get a P4 or an M2, they wouldn't have any issue but of course, it is 3-4x the cost.
2020-1-29
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules