10333 42 2020-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen a lot of discussion about the Return to Home (RTH) feature of the Mavic Mini, so I decided to put together a tutorial about it.  There are some important safety tips I discuss that I haven't seen discussed in any other videos.

Let me know if you think I've missed anything important.

Thanks,
David

2020-1-31
Use props
pnwflier
lvl.2
United States

Great video! Every drone pilot (at least new ones) would benefit from your explanation of RTH.
2020-1-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent video with easy to understand information about RTH.  Thanks for sharing KlooGee.
2020-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pnwflier Posted at 1-31 06:49
Great video! Every drone pilot (at least new ones) would benefit from your explanation of RTH.

Thanks pnwflier!  I'm glad you found it useful!  Feel free to share with anyone you feel may also find it useful.
2020-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-31 07:07
Excellent video with easy to understand information about RTH.  Thanks for sharing KlooGee.

Thanks for the kind words!  Feel free to share with anyone you think may find it useful!
2020-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job this was badly needed, there are only 4 variations of RTH, but if your around here long enough you’d swear there was 20.
The different variations are really important to be aware of and I’m certain this will be a great help to all.
2020-1-31
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Very clear and informative!
2020-1-31
Use props
Gelert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video with great info - a good reminder to new and experienced pilots - thanks for sharing
2020-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-31 08:29
Good job this was badly needed, there are only 4 variations of RTH, but if your around here long enough you’d swear there was 20.
The different variations are really important to be aware of and I’m certain this will be a great help to all.

It seems like such a simple feature, but there really is a lot to understand in order to use it most effectively and to help make sure you get your drone back safely.
2020-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

virtual Posted at 1-31 09:25
Very clear and informative!

Thanks, glad you found it useful!
2020-1-31
Use props
Francoisd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Thanks for this video.
Perhaps you could have detailed the RTH where de remote is (radio symbol on the RTH update point map).
2020-1-31
Use props
Newbie Europe
lvl.2
Germany

Every Mavic MM owner has to see this RTH video. Thank you so much!!!

Maybe you can mention two points concerning RTH seen in this videos.

First one updating RTH without using the included map function:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnbU0Z4kM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odig-eQCjGM

2020-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Francoisd Posted at 1-31 10:51
Thanks for this video.
Perhaps you could have detailed the RTH where de remote is (radio symbol on the RTH update point map).

Yeah, not sure how I missed including that in the video.  Thanks for watching!
2020-1-31
Use props
Tervist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Thank you for this video. I want to make sure I understood you correctly on something: you indicated that after you initiate RTH, you can use the right stick to increase the default speed, if you need to. You didn't make any mention of switching to Sport Mode. I just want to verify that this is something you can do while still in P mode. Thanks!
2020-1-31
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 1-31 12:44
Thank you for this video. I want to make sure I understood you correctly on something: you indicated that after you initiate RTH, you can use the right stick to increase the default speed, if you need to. You didn't make any mention of switching to Sport Mode. I just want to verify that this is something you can do while still in P mode. Thanks!

Correct, while in RTH, if you have a good connection between the remote and drone, you can use the sticks to increase/decrease the speed or increase/decrease the altitude.  
2020-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

KlooGee Posted at 1-31 18:56
Correct, while in RTH, if you have a good connection between the remote and drone, you can use the sticks to increase/decrease the speed or increase/decrease the altitude.

And also orientation.
2020-1-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great tips, thanks for sharing.
2020-2-1
Use props
O Ynot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

A really useful and clear video. Many thanks.
2020-2-1
Use props
Tervist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-31 18:56

Excellent! At first I thought I was misunderstanding something but knowing this is pure gold, especially if you notice that your MM is being hammered by wind gusts. So glad you brought this to everyone's attention.
2020-2-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting video!
2020-2-1
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

Thank you for making this tutorial video.
2020-2-1
Use props
Mortensldk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Great Video, thanks for sharing.
2020-2-2
Use props
red squirrel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55610 ft
United States

Thank you for this video.  Comprehensive and very helpful.  I somehow overlooked the 20 m thing in the instruction manual!  I very much appreciate your insights about this feature and all the other very useful nuggets you presented clearly and concisely.  I feel much better equipped to test out RTH!
2020-2-2
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Great video. You cover some important points like RTH speed vs wind speed. I see that causing a lot of flyaways.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-2
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm glad many of you found it helpful.  I've seen so many people lose their drones from not understanding how it works, I think its important to share what we learn to help out the community.  Please feel free to share the video with others if you think it may be useful for them.
2020-2-2
Use props
Francoisd
lvl.4
France

Hi,

As per my previous comment, you didn't explain the RTH update with the radio diagram on the map, could you explain it (if you know how it works) because, I don't really understand.
- Does it take in account the actual location of the remote and if you move, it keep the point where you were when updating
or
- Does it makes the remote the homepoint event if you move ?

In each case, where does it lands ? Exactly where the remote is (or was) or few meters away for safety ?
Thank a lot for helping me to see more clearly
2020-2-2
Use props
Newbie Europe
lvl.2
Germany

Francoisd Posted at 2-2 10:02
Hi,

As per my previous comment, you didn't explain the RTH update with the radio diagram on the map, could you explain it (if you know how it works) because, I don't really understand.

Maybe this video will answer your question:

2020-2-2
Use props
Francoisd
lvl.4
France

Newbie Europe Posted at 2-2 11:46
Maybe this video will answer your question:

Hi,

Thank you, but I have already seen this video twice, but for the remote control homepoint, he doesn't explain this particular behavior.
2020-2-2
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Francoisd Posted at 2-2 10:02
Hi,

As per my previous comment, you didn't explain the RTH update with the radio diagram on the map, could you explain it (if you know how it works) because, I don't really understand.

It updates the home point to the location of the controller at the time the button is pressed.  It does not continuously update the home point to keep following you.  It is a one-time update.
2020-2-3
Use props
Francoisd
lvl.4
France

KlooGee Posted at 2-3 20:41
It updates the home point to the location of the controller at the time the button is pressed.  It does not continuously update the home point to keep following you.  It is a one-time update.

Thanks a lot for the information
2020-2-4
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Francoisd Posted at 2-4 05:14
Thanks a lot for the information

Happy to share!
2020-2-4
Use props
Newbie Europe
lvl.2
Germany

I am a little bit confused. In the video I mentioned before:

you can see, that when you press the home point to update the home point, it takes the location of the Mavic Mini
and not the location of the controller.
2020-2-4
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Newbie Europe Posted at 2-4 11:30
I am a little bit confused. In the video I mentioned before:

That is because this user had the button selected to choose the location of the aircraft (red arrow) as the home point instead of choosing the option to choose the location of the controller (blue arrow) as the home point.

As you can see in the screenshot of this user's video, the option that is selected is the one the red arrow is pointing at.  The drone behaved just like it was commanded to do.  The user was just a bit confused on the user interface and didn't choose the right option.

2020-2-4
Use props
Newbie Europe
lvl.2
Germany

Thank you very much for this information!
2020-2-4
Use props
pavel_mostovoy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 735436 ft
Ukraine

Thanks ! this video answer for some of mine questions.
2020-5-29
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks a lot! it was very usefull for me and I did not know about the possibility to control it while in return home, that should be very useful (if I can remember it when in total panic!).
2020-5-29
Use props
Smbier
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the video!
2021-3-12
Use props
djiuser_0daMZRIb1MOB
New

United States

Excellent Video.  that clears up a big mystery about return to home.   you da man!
2021-7-20
Use props
Droner1107
lvl.1
Palestine

Unbelievably great video. I'm newb and you really answered a lot of questions I have. This is more useful than DJI's own videos
2021-7-25
Use props
Satstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 392024 ft
Germany

Great video! But there is one important point. If the home point was updated at the start (pay attention to the announcement), RTH works perfectly. However, if I stop the landing after RTH and fly away from the home point, the saved GPS / compass value is lost! The drone will land where it is when you press RTH! Abort RTH immediately after orientation on the smartphone, fly back and land manually!
2021-7-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules