Ultra Time-lapse with Litchi
1988 8 2020-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
First Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

So, a while back I decided to try to do a ultra time-lapse that would cover all the seasons. For a little over the past year, I've been repeating this flight to try to get clips that look espically representative of the seasons. I used Litchi to design the flight (just a big circle) and execute. Although Litchi has an Orbit mode, I found that to not be super great. So, I used waypoints with custom headings to keep it focused on the center. Lots of trial and error.

For putting them together in post, there was lots of aligning - even with a programmed flight path, there is a pretty signifacant variation from flight to flight. So, to get them to fit together semi-smoothly, I zoomed in a bit (around 1.2x). That gave a bit more room to move things around.

Anyway, if you have any ideas of an easier/more precise way to do this, they would be much appreciated. Also, right now this clip is made so if it is played in a loop, it would run smoothly (it ends where it starts), so that's why is starts/ends where it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC917jMpDZA&feature=youtu.be

2020-2-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats a great effect.  I must try something like this myself.  thanks for the great idea.
2020-2-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice one!!
2020-2-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is exactly what I always had in mind but never pulled off (yet).
I subscribed to your channel.
Mine is http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
2020-2-6
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2-6 05:39
This is exactly what I always had in mind but never pulled off (yet).
I subscribed to your channel.
Mine is http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl

Thanks. I still wish there was a better, more exact way to do it. Lots of scaling, zooming, rotating, etc to get them to line up. And because of that, I think the quality of the footage is a degraded a bit
2020-2-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David J. Posted at 2-6 18:05
Thanks. I still wish there was a better, more exact way to do it. Lots of scaling, zooming, rotating, etc to get them to line up. And because of that, I think the quality of the footage is a degraded a bit

I have tried several project sort of similar only with a ground camera.
So so so much work in post.
Even the smallest variation shows in the end result.
But if you pull it off, you have an amazing piece of work!
2020-2-6
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome work. Thats a great idea.
2020-2-11
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2-11 11:20
Awesome work. Thats a great idea.

Thanks! I might try to do one of a housing development that is going to go up, so we’ll see if it can get a bit smoother.
2020-2-13
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

David J. Posted at 2-13 21:06
Thanks! I might try to do one of a housing development that is going to go up, so we’ll see if it can get a bit smoother.

I was thinking of the same thing doing it around some construction. There are a lot of warehouses going up close to my house and this would make for a cool time-lapse.
2020-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules