12Next >
5088 71 2020-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhamelinjhdproductions.com
lvl.2
Canada

Hi DJI,
Just to inform you that I sold my DJI Mavic Mini to someone that was about to buy a new one full price.

I was extremely disappointed with the limited (non-existent) white balance options.

To me, it is not acceptable that the DJI Mavic Mini doesn't have a white balance locking features or white balance presets (cloud, sunny, tungsten, etc.). I cannot name one camera or one drone that comes without it.

So many of my shots were ruined by the white balance changing halfway in the shots, or just being completely off during the whole flight.

Numerous users posted their discontentment about this issue and your only response was the same generic one you always do. Without any hit of fixing this in the near future.

Goodbye

And good luck to all the users that are still waiting for a firmware update that will fix this. I hope it eventually comes!
2020-2-6
Use props
Berhatz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667575 ft
Russia

May the force be with You
2020-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Does an iPhone €1100 have auto white balance ? You maybe right it’s not in anyway certain they will change or implement change for white balance, hopefully they will, but Mavic pro1 or Mavic air are good options . Good luck .
2020-2-6
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Tons of apps (a lot of them free) offer WB, shutter speed, RAW and so on for the iPhone camera.
IMG_89E14836DA42-1.jpeg
2020-2-6
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why don't you get a Mavic Pro or a Mavic 2 Pro instead? Why a Mavic Mini for your first photo drone?
2020-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 2-6 07:48
Tons of apps (a lot of them free) offer WB, shutter speed, RAW and so on for the iPhone camera.

Well for €1100 maybe expect a bit more. Particularly if you expect so much from a camera and drone that cost less than half the price .
2020-2-6
Use props
lvl.2
Canada

Maxi3D Posted at 2-6 08:29
Why don't you get a Mavic Pro or a Mavic 2 Pro instead? Why a Mavic Mini for your first photo drone?

It's my fourth or even fifth drone. I already have the Mavic 2 pro.

I liked the smaller size of this one. It's fun to be able to carry it with me just about anywhere (Mavic 2 pro get's heavy when you are hiking for 2 days with full video gear).

The quality was just enough for me (I could sacrifice a drop in quality for the weight) so I didn't mind that. And I never use active tracking features anyway. The drone seemed perfect for what I needed and for the price.

But having the white balance that keeps shifting, that's unacceptable for video. And it's not like if it's something that had to be put out to save weight or anything. It's a very very basic feature.

Like Ice_2k posted, a nice little menu with a few white balance presets would have been enough. Or at the minimum, lock white balance when the exposure is lock. It's not hard to do.
2020-2-6
Use props
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2-6 08:33
Well for €1100 maybe expect a bit more. Particularly if you expect so much from a camera and drone that cost less than half the price .

Do you know what white balance is? A 40$ Point and shoot camera offer basic white balance functions. It's not a features exclusive to an $1100 iPhone -__-

It's not RAW video or 10 bit 4k. White Balance Presets have been in every digital camera since the very first ones! Even the cheapest ones! And I know that because I used to sell them 8 years ago!
2020-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jhamelinjhdproductions.com Posted at 2-6 08:42
Do you know what white balance is? A 40$ Point and shoot camera offer basic white balance functions. It's not a features exclusive to an $1100 iPhone -__-

I don't get how people don't understand how basic white balance presets are.

So I suppose you have abandoned you camera phone also with it not having white balance control .

A ridiculous question do I know what white balance is, so no need to answer that.

You’ve sold move on .

2020-2-6
Use props
lvl.2
Canada

My phone does have control over white balance. Ice_2k replied a picture showing exactly the controls it has.

Good day sir!
2020-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jhamelinjhdproductions.com Posted at 2-6 09:01
My phone does have control over white balance. Ice_2k replied a picture showing exactly the controls it has.

Good day sir!

You mean a third party app, but you don’t expect the manufacture to offer this ?
2020-2-6
Use props
lvl.2
Canada

No need for a third-party app. If you open the built-in camera app, press for a few seconds on the screen when recording it will lock the exposure/focus/white balance (it will set exposure where you press, similar to the DJI Mavic Mini) and then your white balance is locked and will never change. Or at least that's how it works on my iphoneX.

That's exactly what should have been implemented on the DJI Mavic Mini. I really don't see why you want to defend DJI so badly on this...

2020-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jhamelinjhdproductions.com Posted at 2-6 09:16
No need for a third-party app. If you open the built-in camera app, press for a few seconds on the screen when recording it will lock the exposure/focus/white balance (it will set exposure where you press, similar to the DJI Mavic Mini) and then your white balance is locked and will never change. Or at least that's how it works on my iphoneX.

That's exactly what should have been implemented on the DJI Mavic Mini. I really don't see why you want to defend DJI so badly on this...

Yes I understand that, but you will always have problems filming if sun is suddenly covered by clouds and this happens many times, in fact using my M2 I’m constantly having to recover in post, but I marvel at those who have created some really great footage from Mavic mini and it’s anything but luck, I get the impression that if we all had manual controls that we would produce great photos and perfect footage, I then look to the photos and video section and see many mini users producing footage that sits happily with most of the footage I see from other drones.

I think the mini is not without some photo controls , but I also see how many manage really well with what they have, I paid much higher prices for my other drones so my expectations were not that high for camera in this mini, but I was hugely surprised at the great footage possible from mini , I seen this as a bonus, just like I would see extra controls for camera if they come, until then I can take inspiration from those producing really nice videos and particularly sharp photos from mini.

Cameras don’t make great footage or stills photographers do.

I think for the price mini has a lot going for it .
2020-2-6
Use props
Dronehiker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71237 ft
Portugal

I agree with you. I sold mine too. Last month. Now I wait for my Zino 2. First drone I ever had this Mavic Mini. Terrible video footage in auto, dropped suddenly and without warning, no resistance to regular winds and no basic follow me. DJI never again.
2020-2-6
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

Ice_2k Posted at 2-6 07:48
Tons of apps (a lot of them free) offer WB, shutter speed, RAW and so on for the iPhone camera.

I'm totaly agree with you. White balance is not a feature. It must be in every camera.
2020-2-6
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2-6 09:07
You mean a third party app, but you don’t expect the manufacture to offer this ?

hallmark, with all respect. but my phone is made to call, so no white balance is not an issue. the mm is a camera so some control of white balance is welcome. and yes i know there are pro mavics....
2020-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Studio66 Posted at 2-6 11:08
hallmark, with all respect. but my phone is made to call, so no white balance is not an issue. the mm is a camera so some control of white balance is welcome. and yes i know there are pro mavics....

I’m not disagreeing with that and I don’t know where your going with that.

But I think the mini is more than worth keeping because of what it has to offer.

If you check the forum you will find that I have made it well known that extra camera controls would be on my wishlist, I’ve had a lot of video cameras in my time, many of them I used only auto WB because as a beginner it suited to concentrate on what was important while learning , so it’s something I can live with.

I actually admire the OP he has the strength of his convictions, many don’t, but I will reiterate many have produced incredible footage with mini, this is not by luck or chance, it’s because they are good at what they do and they found a way to work with what they got.
And I can sincerely say much of it is a lot better than footag I have seen with bigger dji craft that have more tools to choose from, but if it’s the end of the world for you then sell it like the OP, if not then join the threads looking for extra camera settings, don’t come blaming me, I’m just saying if something is not working for you try something else like those guys producing great video .
2020-2-6
Use props
MB Dronie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44970 ft

Portugal

Studio66 Posted at 2-6 11:08

Don’t bother arguing or replying. Just ignore. DJI fanboy or works for them. Just check all the other threads. It’s impossible to have a discussion with that individual.
2020-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MB Dronie Posted at 2-6 11:22
Don’t bother arguing or replying. Just ignore. DJI fanboy or works for them. Just check all the other threads. It’s impossible to have a discussion with that individual.

You call me a fanboy, you think mini is rubbish but spend your spare time on the mini forum, maybe a secret fanboy or girl yourself .
2020-2-6
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2-6 11:26
You call me a fanboy, you think mini is rubbish but spend your spare time on the mini forum, maybe a secret fanboy or girl yourself .

hallmark. maybe its my bad english;)
2020-2-6
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm hoping they add it in a future app update. They have it built into the drone, it appears in video subtitles but the need to be able to lock it like exposure is very much needed.
2020-2-6
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Guys there shouldn't be an argument here.
WB is basic, since the color temperature of the light changes during day, MM already has control over WB, is just not accessible by users. I agree with OP is not cool to hide it.
However I have a strong feeling this feature will be added, DJI has nothing to loose with the already crippled down hardware and software in the MINI.

WB has been around since color film was created, in fact you had to buy film for day, for interiors with tungsten or bulbs... basically a film with a WB "preset" you cannot change.
MM is sold as a flying camera, no need to loose those controls, even if MM can be seen as entry level, I see it more like easy to carry AC.
Beginners can benefit from an easy to fly drone with simpler interface, but limiting the camera possibilities so much is not needed.
2020-2-7
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-7 04:39
WB is basic, since the color temperature of the light changes during day, MM already has control over WB, is just not accessible by users. I agree with OP is not cool to hide it.
However I have a strong feeling this feature will be added, DJI has nothing to loose with the already crippled down hardware and software in the MINI.

One word: Amen. ;)
2020-2-7
Use props
MM_Pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94580 ft
Spain

Actually practicing with the video editor it can be fixed, luts also is a option to mask the WB changes.  We hope new fw update will add the menu.

2020-2-7
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-7 04:39

DJI as nothing to lose adding manual video and WB control to DJI Fly app. On the other hand DJI can lose customers if doesn't add those features. Even more if there is another sub 250gr drone from a competitor that has those features.
2020-2-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

MM_Pro Posted at 2-7 08:05
Actually practicing with the video editor it can be fixed, luts also is a option to mask the WB changes.  We hope new fw update will add the menu.

Luts for masking WB changes?
Can you explain a bit more on that?
Thanks in advance!
2020-2-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

amferreira Posted at 2-7 09:10
DJI as nothing to lose adding manual video and WB control to DJI Fly app. On the other hand DJI can lose customers if doesn't add those features. Even more if there is another sub 250gr drone from a competitor that has those features.

Absolutely, is only a matter of time the competition bring other drones below 250g, or just in the 4-500 euros range...
2020-2-7
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jhamelinjhdproductions.com Posted at 2-6 09:16
No need for a third-party app. If you open the built-in camera app, press for a few seconds on the screen when recording it will lock the exposure/focus/white balance (it will set exposure where you press, similar to the DJI Mavic Mini) and then your white balance is locked and will never change. Or at least that's how it works on my iphoneX.

That's exactly what should have been implemented on the DJI Mavic Mini. I really don't see why you want to defend DJI so badly on this...

I don't think anyone is defending DJI here. Its a matter of principle. You paid a fraction of the price for drones that feature this. This Mavic Mini forum is full of people complaining about this and that and what it should have had however you get what you paid for.
If your looking for professional drone then buy an Inspire 2
2020-2-8
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

If you have a camera, than you must have WB. Every fuc... cheapest phone has.  We're not talking about a feature like active tracking.
2020-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MM_Pro Posted at 2-7 08:05

Well it’s great that some are at least trying put there head down and make things work, thanks for posting .
2020-2-8
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-7 09:20
Luts for masking WB changes?
Can you explain a bit more on that?
Thanks in advance!

I have some useful LUTs - BW and Sepia
2020-2-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Probably not a good time to buy one now.
2020-2-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Dmitry Vishnevskiy Posted at 2-8 09:29
I have some useful LUTs - BW and Sepia

Aha I see, yes I noticed using certain LUTs is easy to make footage from different cameras look more similar without color matching previously.
2020-2-8
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Visual Air Posted at 2-8 08:45
I don't think anyone is defending DJI here. Its a matter of principle. You paid a fraction of the price for drones that feature this. This Mavic Mini forum is full of people complaining about this and that and what it should have had however you get what you paid for.
If your looking for professional drone then buy an Inspire 2

It’s quite strange to consider white balance control as a feature related to a professional camera. It’s literally as basic as it gets. Nobody is demanding raw 10-bit video.... literally any crappy camera has this “feature”...
2020-2-8
Use props
Steve Tron
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287001 ft
United Kingdom

Whilst we cannot lock the White balance locking the Exposure value can minimise the white balance changes a good example of this can be seen in the video
2020-2-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Steve Tron Posted at 2-9 05:01
Whilst we cannot lock the White balance locking the Exposure value can minimise the white balance changes a good example of this can be seen in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufrD24BpDc

It’s a great video with great advice for those desperate for better camera controls, which won’t be imminent, but hopefully they might come .
2020-2-9
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 2-8 11:54
It’s quite strange to consider white balance control as a feature related to a professional camera. It’s literally as basic as it gets. Nobody is demanding raw 10-bit video.... literally any crappy camera has this “feature”...

I will second this opinion.  I think anybody arguing otherwise are simply arguing for arguments sake.  We all understand it is a $400 flying camera and not a professional system, but quite honestly, its just table stakes for even the most basic camera.

The 3 year old Spark had this simple capability from day 1.  Even a simple $100 point-n-shoot camera has this basic capability.

Yes, there are things one can do to minimize the problems and to fix in post.  And yes, clouds will go in and out and change things, but that is true for a hand held point-n-shoot as well.  

I really think its only a matter of time until DJI gives these controls to the Mini, but I guess we'll see....
2020-2-9
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

While I agree with everyone's disappointment with the lack of white balance controls, I can make the same argument for the omission of RAW image files which is very important for me.  However, I cannot complain because as an informed buyer, I purchased the Mini know its shortcomings up front.  In defense of DJI, they have introduced a low priced drone to service a specific segment of the market. They have not included functions and options (that could have easily been added) for product segment differentiation.  Yes, we would have all loved a MM with 4K, Occusync, WB, RAW, Active Track,  etc. for $400 but like many tech based products, the Mini is a compromise.  If the competitive landscape significantly changes, I'm sure DJI will respond accordingly.  
2020-2-9
Use props
lvl.2
Canada

Once again, you can't compare RAW photos with WB control. No, you cannot make the same argument for that. There are both software and hardware improvements that would need to be added for raw photos. Making the drone heavier of course.

Btw, I never complained that I lost about $60 in the whole process of selling my drone, like you said I should of waiting a few more weeks before ordering and check more in-depth reviews. My complaint is DJI removing some basic features just to make sure they don't cannibalize sales with their other models.

Also, the price has nothing to do with it. "for $400 you can't expect everything" that just a lazy argument. Like everyone said earlier, a 40$ point and shoot will have some sort of white balance control. So stop it already with that poor excuse.
2020-2-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jhamelinjhdproductions.com Posted at 2-9 10:37
Once again, you can't compare RAW photos with WB control. No, you cannot make the same argument for that. There are both software and hardware improvements that would need to be added for raw photos. Making the drone heavier of course.

I don’t think WB control was left off because dji would lose or gain sales on anything, I have several dji drones and all cameras are missing something I’d like to have on them.

WB will never be easy to control on drones, many many users only shoot in auto because of this, maybe this was a reason dji left it out, it also allows new flyers which are many to concentrate on flying first and not be concerned about having to operate camera controls, it could be for this reason manual controls were left out, and for those who really needed them there are other options as well as drones, I’m not sure if people are genuinely aware that spark was twice the price as mini and mini has camera features that spark flyers would love and craft features like a battery that’s the same price as spark battery but gives twice the length of time for flying.

I think people should wait and I believe they have enough to wait with and hopefully it will come .
2020-2-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules