How long until the motor bearings need to be oiled/serviced?
12Next >
5868 45 2020-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

How long until the motor bearings need to be oiled/serviced?

11.png
2020-2-7
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

I never knew this. And I definitely need to service them since I have flown very little over the past year.
Thanks for posting
2020-2-7
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Any special oil needed?
2020-2-7
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dorset_Horn Posted at 2-7 09:58
Any special oil needed?

I'm not entirely sure.  I just know if you use too much it can attract dirt grease but grease is a lubricant.
2020-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 2-7 10:01
I'm not entirely sure.  I just know if you use too much it can attract dirt grease but grease is a lubricant.

Is this supposed to be from dji warranty?
2020-2-7
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never knew there was such a thing.
2020-2-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-7 13:26
Is this supposed to be from dji warranty?

No, it is from a different product, and irrelevant, as is everything from this poster. The simple answer to this question is to try and oil the bearings on a DJI aircraft - you cannot without disassembling the motors.. That in itself should tell you they are not intended to be lubricated.
2020-2-7
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-7 13:36
No, it is from a different product, and irrelevant, as is everything from this poster. The simple answer to this question is to try and oil the bearings on a DJI aircraft - you cannot without disassembling the motors.. That in itself should tell you they are not intended to be lubricated.

I was thinking about those who drop oil on the back of the motor.  W/o disassembling it.
2020-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2-7 13:36
No, it is from a different product, and irrelevant, as is everything from this poster. The simple answer to this question is to try and oil the bearings on a DJI aircraft - you cannot without disassembling the motors.. That in itself should tell you they are not intended to be lubricated.

I thought so, I’ll stop putting the sunflower oil on now, use it for the chips, ;+),,

“The young people think the old people are fools -- but the old people know the young people are fools.”
2020-2-7
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-7 13:45
I thought so, I’ll stop putting the sunflower oil on now, use it for the chips, ;+),,

“The young people think the old people are fools -- but the old people know the young people are fools.”

It's not sunflower oil.

https://www.bearingtips.com/oil-used-bearings/

We are just scratching the surface here.  This is new to us but it's not new to the engineering world.  We should humble ourselves and realize, a lot goes on that others know, that we don't.
2020-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 2-7 13:49
It's not sunflower oil.

I wouldn’t worry about it you seem to know enough for everyone, looks like the price of oil is set to rise ;+)
2020-2-7
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-7 13:57
I wouldn’t worry about it you seem to know enough for everyone, looks like the price of oil is set to rise ;+)

I don't, because if I did I would tell people to do it so I'm trying to see what everyone else thinks or has done.
2020-2-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dorset_Horn Posted at 2-7 09:57
I never knew this. And I definitely need to service them since I have flown very little over the past year.
Thanks for posting

Don't take any notice of anything posted by that idiot.
he hasn't posted anything intelligent since he arrived here.

Look closely at what he posted and you'll notice it's not about DJI drone motors at all.
It's from Sunnysky, whatever that is.
Your drone will fly for many years without you messing around with anything.

2020-2-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2-7 13:49
It's not sunflower oil.

We should humble ourselves and realize, a lot goes on that others know, that we don't.
Think about that for a while, particularly how it applies to you in particular.
2020-2-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yet another confusing and misleading post by our village idiot. It has absolutely nothing to do with DJ's motors, which are equipped with different bearings. These are of enclosed type, lubricated internally and permanently. They never need any maintenance lubrication. Once malfunctioning (unlikely during a drone life span) the bearing must be simply replaced.
2020-2-8
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-8 00:36
Yet another confusing and misleading post by our village idiot. It has absolutely nothing to do with DJ's motors, which are equipped with different bearings. These are of enclosed type, lubricated internally and permanently. They never need any maintenance lubrication. Once malfunctioning (unlikely during a drone life span) the bearing must be simply replaced.

http://www.acmwriting.com/sealed-ball-bearings-advantages/

Once the seal fails then it should be time to lubricate that is, of course, impossible to tell w/o looking at it directly so it pretty much a guess.  Maybe after 600 flights, it would be time to do it ever 50?
2020-2-8
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

please read the following forum, before soaking your drone in to the extra virgin olive oil
https://forum.dji.com/thread-144653-1-1.html

and quoted from dji fellow
"Bearings in the brushless motors that DJI uses in its quads are sealed bearings and never require lubricant. If you oil these bearings they become dirt and dust magnets actually decreasing their lifespan.."
2020-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2-8 01:44

Once the seal fails then it should be time to lubricate that is, of course, impossible to tell w/o looking at it directly so it pretty much a guess.  Maybe after 600 flights, it would be time to do it ever 50?

Maybe after 600 flights, it would be time to do it ever 50?
And maybe not?
I think you should do it every 3rd flight and twice on Tuesdays.
Get back to us and tell us how it works out.

2020-2-8
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nah dont ever oil these bearings they are sealed and if anything u would just be introducing dirt  which causes notchiness and other problems....now some brushless motors do require oil like my big scorpion motors for my rc heli's  but scorpion uses different bearings and have their own oil....so most brushless motors are good and do not require oil especially in quads...another example of brushless motors not needing oil, look at sensored motors on rc cars....the can is totally sealed.
2020-2-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 2-8 01:44

Oh, you stubborn moron ... Once the seal fails, then it's the time to replace the bearing. These motors spins at enormous speeds and centrifugal force will remove any lubricant in a matter of seconds, spilling the mist all over the rotor and surroundings ...
2020-2-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-8 12:18
Oh, you stubborn moron ... Once the seal fails, then it's the time to replace the bearing. These motors spins at enormous speeds and centrifugal force will remove any lubricant in a matter of seconds, spilling the mist all over the rotor and surroundings ...

Whoa, no need for violence
2020-2-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 2-8 12:23
Whoa, no need for violence

Of course no, but I'm losing my temper with this idiot! Not only me, actually ...
2020-2-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-8 14:20
Of course no, but I'm losing my temper with this idiot! Not only me, actually ...

Most likely another troll who don't have anything better to do.
2020-2-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 2-8 14:22
Most likely another troll who don't have anything better to do.

No, it's not that simple ...
2020-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-8 20:21

No, but he is......
2020-2-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-8 20:21

I have to agree with you on that one.
2020-2-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2-8 20:46
No, but he is......

Whoever or whatever AntDX316 is, his presence at this Forum is very disturbing. I can't recall a single post of this brand which will contribute something of the value to the community. The Forum's spirit is troubled enough without confusing mumbo-jumbo of mentally unstable individuals ...
2020-2-9
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

My original Mavic flew for 2000 miles before I sold it.
My Mavic 2 has 1100 miles and is still going strong.
My original P4 had 1500 flight miles when I sold it.

I never oiled or serviced the bearings in any way except to keep the craft clean and in a hard case when not in use. YMMV
2020-2-9
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-8 00:36
Yet another confusing and misleading post by our village idiot. It has absolutely nothing to do with DJ's motors, which are equipped with different bearings. These are of enclosed type, lubricated internally and permanently. They never need any maintenance lubrication. Once malfunctioning (unlikely during a drone life span) the bearing must be simply replaced.

Funny how he always responds with some pseudo-out of touch reply.  
2020-2-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2-9 10:56
My original Mavic flew for 2000 miles before I sold it.
My Mavic 2 has 1100 miles and is still going strong.
My original P4 had 1500 flight miles when I sold it.

That's comforting to know.
2020-2-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-9 00:56
Whoever or whatever AntDX316 is, his presence at this Forum is very disturbing. I can't recall a single post of this brand which will contribute something of the value to the community. The Forum's spirit is troubled enough without confusing mumbo-jumbo of mentally unstable individuals ...

You're an idiot and need to understand more about what goes on and what others comment other than people who comment like you than living as a hobo on your solar DIY ship thinking everyone else should be elected but Trump.

Just because You can't recall a single post that was of positive contribution to someone does not mean it never happened.  People have committed DUI accidents and in court, they say they don't remember, does it still count?

I wish we can connect our brains better though.  I do understand you cannot read what I see but it does matter if you think beyond what people have taught you.  I need to utilize the presentation assets more in which I've found it to take a mind of its own within people.  I'm not getting into details w/ that.
2020-2-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 2-9 18:25
You're an idiot and need to understand more about what goes on and what others comment other than people who comment like you than living as a hobo on your solar DIY ship thinking everyone else should be elected but Trump.

Just because You can't recall a single post that was of positive contribution to someone does not mean it never happened.  People have committed DUI accidents and in court, they say they don't remember, does it still count?

You making fun of my BOAT?! From now on it is personal , dude!!!
2020-2-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-9 18:44
You making fun of my BOAT?! From now on it is personal , dude!!!

You've brought it upon your ownself.  You give good advice at times though but not all the time.
2020-2-9
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have had several DJI drones and non of them ever been oiled whatsoever.
2020-2-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2-9 19:34
I have had several DJI drones and non of them ever been oiled whatsoever.

yeah, people having no issues w/ no oiling is good to hear
2020-2-9
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 2-9 20:10

I highly agree.
2020-2-9
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Yes motors of Mavic are no easily user oilable as there is no access to bearings without removing motors from arms. I never oiled my Mavic Pro, Mavir Air, Mavic 2 and never had problem. Just be carefull during transport and storage and also during use that foreign parts like sand or dirt will not get inside of motors.
2020-2-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2-9 20:10

Never mind the motors .. It's the IMU you need to be concerned about.
You need to refill it with mayonnaise every 50 flights.
2020-2-10
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2-8 05:30
Nah dont ever oil these bearings they are sealed and if anything u would just be introducing dirt  which causes notchiness and other problems....now some brushless motors do require oil like my big scorpion motors for my rc heli's  but scorpion uses different bearings and have their own oil....so most brushless motors are good and do not require oil especially in quads...another example of brushless motors not needing oil, look at sensored motors on rc cars....the can is totally sealed.

I agree, glad I read further down this thread
2020-2-11
Use props
christangey
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2-8 05:30
Nah dont ever oil these bearings they are sealed and if anything u would just be introducing dirt  which causes notchiness and other problems....now some brushless motors do require oil like my big scorpion motors for my rc heli's  but scorpion uses different bearings and have their own oil....so most brushless motors are good and do not require oil especially in quads...another example of brushless motors not needing oil, look at sensored motors on rc cars....the can is totally sealed.

I agree, glad I read further down this thread
2020-2-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules