Osmo Pocket settings to avoid choppy videos
3367 15 2020-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chix
lvl.1
Italy

Hello everyone! I bough a Osmo Pocket a couple of weeks ago and my plan is to use it for real estate footages. The problem is that videos are choppy, I'm trying all settigs possibles, but the results are always not satisfying. So I'm simply asking the exact settings to making fluid videos, with a sweet emotion of images, considering I'm using the following tools:
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
  • 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
  • SSD 500gb
  • FCPX
  • Samsung Evo Plus 64 sd card

All other applications are shut off while I'm vorking with FCPX
I've noticed also that while I'm point on, for example, 24 fps on Osmo Pocket, FCPX tells me that the video is 23,98, why?
I'm using MOV type.

Please if someone found out how to set properly, otherwise, at the moment, my opinion about OP wouldn't so good and it would be unusable for my job.
Thanks in advance!

2020-2-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the choppy video is this the video file directly from the SD card and may I know the model of the SD card please? Have you tried a different media player to isolate the issue. Kindly please provide a short sample video footage directly from the SD card. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-2-12
Use props
Chix
lvl.1
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-12 08:17
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the choppy video is this the video file directly from the SD card and may I know the model of the SD card please? Have you tried a different media player to isolate the issue. Kindly please provide a short sample video footage directly from the SD card. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Here you can watch a small video 4k 60fps with chops. I noticed that many videos made with OP have chops, also those very cinematics...many users say same thing. We need or a firmware update or a precise procedure about settings. The sd card is a Samsung 64 EVO Plus, that I think is good enough.
https://youtu.be/Ow-Es6uwqqs

thank you
2020-2-12
Use props
JSo
lvl.3
Netherlands

Chix Posted at 2-12 08:54
Here you can watch a small video 4k 60fps with chops. I noticed that many videos made with OP have chops, also those very cinematics...many users say same thing. We need or a firmware update or a precise procedure about settings. The sd card is a Samsung 64 EVO Plus, that I think is good enough.

There must be a problem with your MacBook or the video-program you use. I did not see any "chops" or other problems in the video.
2020-2-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Chix Posted at 2-12 08:54
https://youtu.be/Ow-Es6uwqqs

Hi. Thank you for the additional information. With regards to this concern. Kindly please back up your files and format the SD card. With regards to the MOV file type, you may change it by clicking the video icon on the right side beside the record button then press then ( ... ) icon on the lower left corner of the page after tapping the video menu. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

2020-2-12
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Hmm, what generation i7 do you have?  Anything before 7th generation i7 CPU's, will have issues playing 4K/H.265/HEVC files or footage.  Do a search on the type/generation Intel CPU that you have or download Belarc (which will tell you all about your PC hardware).
2020-2-12
Use props
Chix
lvl.1
Italy

Neo Supreme Posted at 2-12 11:58
Hmm, what generation i7 do you have?  Anything before 7th generation i7 CPU's, will have issues playing 4K/H.265/HEVC files or footage.  Do a search on the type/generation Intel CPU that you have or download Belarc (which will tell you all about your PC hardware).

I also suspect you're right: my macbookpro is outdated, so I'm planning to buy a new computer. I think I will buy an Hackintosh: could you suggest me a configuration right for video editing at least 4k? Thank you Neo Supreme!
2020-2-14
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also, shoot in MP4 and it will playback easier for older PCs.
2020-2-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

Chix Posted at 2-14 09:11
I also suspect you're right: my macbookpro is outdated, so I'm planning to buy a new computer. I think I will buy an Hackintosh: could you suggest me a configuration right for video editing at least 4k? Thank you Neo Supreme!

Well, if you want to save money, any Gen 7 or 8 Intel chip (i5 or i7) can do it, though I would lean more towards an i7.  I would at least look at a 4GB video card, at minimum, for extra help.  I have an 8GB video card.  Use an SSD for editing/file transfer too.  I have a Samsung Pro m.2 and another Samsung Pro 2.5" sata on my laptop.  The better performing SSD's can handle H.265 files better than mechanical drives.  If you can't get an SSD, then look for a hybrid hard drive at least.  Oh yeah, of course the more RAM the better, though 16GB should be good.  Hope this helps and no problem.
2020-2-14
Use props
Chix
lvl.1
Italy

Neo Supreme Posted at 2-14 12:48
Well, if you want to save money, any Gen 7 or 8 Intel chip (i5 or i7) can do it, though I would lean more towards an i7.  I would at least look at a 4GB video card, at minimum, for extra help.  I have an 8GB video card.  Use an SSD for editing/file transfer too.  I have a Samsung Pro m.2 and another Samsung Pro 2.5" sata on my laptop.  The better performing SSD's can handle H.265 files better than mechanical drives.  If you can't get an SSD, then look for a hybrid hard drive at least.  Oh yeah, of course the more RAM the better, though 16GB should be good.  Hope this helps and no problem.

Thank you very much Neo! I've got some budget and I saw a configuration like this:
– Platform: Intel Core
– Case: Metallic Gear Neo – Black
– Motherboard: Intel Core 1151-V2 Serie Z
– CPU: Intel i9 9900K 8-hearts 16-thread
– Dissipatore CPU: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm
– Card Video Dedicata: Radeon RX 590 8GB
– SSD 1 – OS1: SSD M.2 PCIe 512GB
– SSD 2 – OS2: SSD M.2 PCIe 512GB
– RAM: DDR4 3000Mhz 4x16GB (TOT. 64GB)
– Scheda PCIe: USB 3.0 Inatek 4 Porte
– Scheda di Rete: Scheda 802.11AC Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 nativa
– Alimentatore: Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze 650W (Semi Modulare)
It is not so expensive, I would use it also for photos and music production, what do you think?
2020-2-15
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

Chix Posted at 2-15 01:50
Thank you very much Neo! I've got some budget and I saw a configuration like this:
– Platform: Intel Core
– Case: Metallic Gear Neo – Black

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't on for a few days.  That fantastic setup will definitely grant you better performance in dealing with raw 4K files and footage.  Let me know how it all works when you have it up an running and do your first edit with 4K.
2020-2-18
Use props
Chix
lvl.1
Italy

Neo Supreme Posted at 2-18 04:30
Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't on for a few days.  That fantastic setup will definitely grant you better performance in dealing with raw 4K files and footage.  Let me know how it all works when you have it up an running and do your first edit with 4K.

Thank you very much Neo! I think the computer will be ready in a couple of weeks. I'm planning to install Mojave, what do you think about it?
2020-2-18
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

You're good to go with Mojave.
2020-2-18
Use props
Chix
lvl.1
Italy

Neo Supreme Posted at 2-18 08:27
You're good to go with Mojave.

Thx man, I 'm going to install it!
2020-2-18
Use props
SeekAndTravel
lvl.1

Spain

Its not an issue with your Macbook. It is DJI issue. For anyone who ends up on this page and is looking for a solution. Here are my tests and solution. You will get shaky and choppy video while panning if you are shooting in 24fps or upto 50fps. The fix is to shoot 4k in 60fps and you will have smooth footage as butter. Make sure your firmware is updated. I was struggling with this and shooting in 4k 60fps solves the panning issue.

DJI really needs to fix this. If you pan in 24fps the video is horrible while you pan but in 60fps it is smooth as butter.

Here are two videos. Christmas one is in 30FPS and you can see the jitter while i pan and the last video i uploaded is in 60fps and it is smooth as butter.
30FPS. You will see that when i Pan the video is shaky and skipping frames

60FPS, Smooth as butter. No issues at all.

If the video is smooth in 60FPS and the issue is in other FPS that means it is 100% firmware issue.

2023-12-30
Use props
geo.
lvl.4

United States

The issue you are experiencing is due to the angular velocity of the moves you are making and the shutter speed that is being chosen by the automatic controls of the Pocket 3.

You've probably heard of ND filters. With a fixed aperture camera like the Pocket 3 the only way to have proper motion blur for fast moving objects or more acceptable pan results is to control the amount of light hitting the sensor with the appropriate ND filter. Perhaps you have noticed that in professional footage pans are slower. The "choppiness" you experience is actually distinct details in frames that were exposed at too high a shutter speed which draw attention to themselves since our eyes actually produce blur naturally as our "internal shutter speed" blurs the world as we pan.

A higher shutter speed like 60 FPS can assist by increasing the angular velocity at which this effect beomes noticeable but a 1/60 sec shutter speed at 30 FPS or 1/120 shutter speed at 60 FPS would really improve  all of the samples posted here.

For the real estate footage slow down the pans within such constrained spaces or add the wide angle lens to necessitate less panning at a gentle speed.  

For outside consider a set of variable ND filters to easily adjust the exposure in the field to slow down shutter speeds for eye comfortable pans.

There is one technique that is some times used when a pan to expose actions is necessary when covering something fast moving like sports. Some would call it a swish or whip pan when the camera is moved intentionally very fast to create blur which because of a burst of speed even at higher shutter rates causes natural blur which lands on the center of interest on a new subject.

Hope this helps. ND's might seem trouble some but in practice your footage will really look better and a few seconds of setup will pay off with every viewing.

2023-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules