Michigan County Drone Rule Struck Down
760 6 2020-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Maybe you've all seen this ready.  I thought it was interesting.
2020-2-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for sharing this informative video that you had provided. Thank you for your continued support!
2020-2-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Since the air is nobodys property but FAA (States) or similar in other countries, is this even legal?
2020-2-13
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

A municipality, city park, National Park, wildlife preserves etc can have rules that you can not take off or land inside the property lines.....they can not regulate your fly over of the land, given you took off and will land outside the boundaries.  You are infact flying in the National Airspace ( USA ) which can only be regulated by the FAA.  Of course using good moral thinking, be courteous and try not to irritate the Park Rangers because,  they can detain you and waste your time just because YOU are testing them........If you have been asked to land and not fly by the authorities, it's best you do so, and challenge at the correct time and place.

Randy
2020-2-13
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-13 15:46
A municipality, city park, National Park, wildlife preserves etc can have rules that you can not take off or land inside the property lines.....they can not regulate your fly over of the land, given you took off and will land outside the boundaries.  You are infact flying in the National Airspace ( USA ) which can only be regulated by the FAA.  Of course using good moral thinking, be courteous and try not to irritate the Park Rangers because,  they can detain you and waste your time just because YOU are testing them........If you have been asked to land and not fly by the authorities, it's best you do so, and challenge at the correct time and place.

Randy

randy, a judge disagreed with you in part in this specific case:

"A Flint-area judge has ordered the Genesee County Parks & Recreation Commission to end its ban on the possession or use of drones in county parks..."

read the ruling for more details.  I really wish the drone community would come together and speak with one voice on most of the issues but I fear we will not.  so so so many drone flyers actually support a city to be able to tell drone flyers they can't take off in the city park.  at least maybe all of us can voice our disapproval even if it is legal in some states but it will never change unless the people want it changed or the courts order it.  still trying to get up to speed on the details of the ruling but like most drone flyers, the ruling doesn't immediately affect me.

I like some of the things you suggest but I respectfully disagree strongly with much of what you wrote.
2020-2-13
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 2-13 16:20
randy, a judge disagreed with you in part in this specific case:

"A Flint-area judge has ordered the Genesee County Parks & Recreation Commission to end its ban on the possession or use of drones in county parks..."

Yes I listened and heard the case case in Michigan ( Video )  I live in San Diego, Ca.

Please review my statement.  I said " can have rules "  Keeping in mind as cities and counties they can put on paper what they want.....to a point.  I don't have time or the resources to argue with them, so being courteous and cooperative can go a long way to NOT wasting my time.

Randy
Aerial Traffic
2020-2-13
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

This reminds me of cases where photographers are sometimes hassled by various authorities because the individual officers, businesses, or local governments are ignorant of the actual laws.

And, as in this case, local authorities may well pass regulations that are in conflict with the higher laws that have supremacy, and then instruct their field officers to enforce rules that are actually illegal.

I'm glad the individual involved was able to work with a relatively large group, and presumably legal council, to obtain a just outcome.  Drone pilots are going to have to fight a lot of these battles, I'm afraid.
2020-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules