Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin noisy even at total idle
29267 55 2014-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trftrf
New

Luxembourg

Also got the DJI RONIN.
Mine is making a permanent hissing noise. Can be heard across the room and easily picked up by microphone.
Canon eos 5d Mark II with 24-105 L Lens
System balanced well, no lose screws, lens support installed, motor stiffness under 20
Here's a video:

Is that hissing sound normal?
2015-3-26
Use props
trftrf
New

Luxembourg

So today I was told by my reseller, that apparently all the new RONINs make that hissing sound and that only the first generation didn't make that sound!

Could anyone confirm that statement?
2015-3-27
Use props
Amulet
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes I can confirm too. European Support told me the same thing, that this noise was introduced with current builds. The noise you hear in your YouTube video is the same noise mine makes and that in the original posters YouTube video. I sent a video of mine to Euro Support who told me the noise is generated by the electronics in the stem where the battery attaches.

This morning I got another message from Euro Support who told me China have been made aware but they don't have an answer from them at this time. I've tried to follow up myself with HQ in China but nothing so far.

As this problem was first reported in November it would be useful if DJI could confirm if they intend to fix it and how that might happen.
2015-3-27
Use props
trf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30308 ft
Luxembourg

@ Amulet: Thanks for the clarification

@DJI Support:  So how about it? Will you fix that Problem??
2015-4-4
Use props
alwyne
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I started this thread. I eventually sent my Ronin back to the vendor for a refund. Three months later I bought a used one on ebay... and it makes the exact same noise. Cleary DJI have screwed up, releasing a batch of Ronins that are not fit for purpose in that they cannot be used on a sound set.
Does anyone know what the current situation is regarding DJI's declared intentions to rectify this issue?
2015-4-6
Use props
adamonline
lvl.1
Australia

My Ronin does the same - even with motors killed.

Its sometimes doesn't do it immediately after turning it on, but as soon as you move it - the noise starts.
It almost sounds like a small fan is running. Its coming from the main circuits infant of the battery, it is not coming from the motors.

Mine is perfectly balanced (0,0,0 motor power) and I'm running 10 for stiffness on my pan/tilt/roll as I'm using a DSLR (Nikon D750 with 14-24mm f/2.8 lens)

I won't be sending it back until a solution is found, I record externally so its not an issue for me...being gimbal-less is an issue though.
2015-4-7
Use props
adamonline
lvl.1
Australia

Here's my video showing it on and silent (just turned it on, motors are ON) until I touched it and made it rock on the stand - sound started and stays till unit is turned off

2015-4-7
Use props
trf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30308 ft
Luxembourg

I sent mine back to the vendor for a refund.  
The noise was always picked up by microphone, cam internal which is normal but also on external rode ntg2 that was a few feet away.
It's a shame, because i liked the ronin gimbal a lot.
I hope they will fix the problem...so i can get a new one
2015-4-7
Use props
dmelhorn
New

United States

I just received mine yesterday and had the horrible vibration and noise when the Ronin was properly balanced and set-up.  Ironically, it went away when "improperly balanced" by dropping the camera to its lowest point on the vertical axis.

The solution was to dial the "stiffness" back down to the 5-10 range.  Since then its worked fine with both a Canon C300 and Canon 5D.

Tomorrow I plan to put it through some paces before it begins working next week.
2015-4-16
Use props
jstecyk
New

Canada

Hello Alwyne did you figure out what the problem was, I am having the same problem with my 7D, camera is balanced, motors are at near 0 power but there is still slight motor noise, even when you kill motors
2015-5-28
Use props
micahmart
lvl.1
Canada

I have had the same problem with mine since I bought it 2 months ago, been trouble shooting for a while, it seemed like a bit more weight helped, but even when balanced perfectly that F%$kin humming noise was still there.  well I just plugged the Ronin in directly to my Macbook after I downloaded The DJI  Ronin Assistant Software v1.8 for Mac (http://www.dji.com/product/ronin/download) and updated both my GCU and IMU firmwares, and tried it from there.... well the noise was still happening, oh and I'm rocking a 5d mark ii with a nifty fifty lens on it so not very much weight at all... Anyway I figured I would try Silent Mode again (Be sure to update your Iphone or Android App as well so it has Silent Mode) it hadn't worked at all before the firmware update, but I'll be damned, I clicked the little bastard and all the noise came to an immediate stop and my Ronin works perfect and there is no noise at all....  Hope this helps, I am still amazed that that was all I had to do, I was sure the thing was faulty or something, but It seems to be working....
2015-8-9
Use props
Dio00
New

Mongolia

Same issue, first i thought it was bad balancing and made best balance in the world end up with NOISE. So i searched and found this thread lol. So there is no solutions rather than refund?
2018-8-22
Use props
wernerlich
lvl.1
Sweden

a bit late maybe.. I Had the same problem I think. The noise came after the last update. When I tried to update again (like hundred times) I always turned the gimbal off before taking out the usb cable. This time I took out the cable without turning it off and now the noise is 99% gone! If I put my ear to the motors I can still hear it really low but it's way way better now!
2018-12-6
Use props
alwyne
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I solved my issue by discovering that the later version  firmware / app  I had installed had a "Silent Mode" option.  That was all it was - by default, Silent Mode was turned off. Once I discovered the option, I turned it on and the noise went away.

What I find strange is that no one at DJI suggested that to me.  It was the obvious thing to suggest.
2018-12-7
Use props
VinnyS
New
United States

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread. I bought my Ronin years ago and never used it for this particular reason. I took it out to shoot with my new Blackmagic Pocket 4K and had a slight noise issue. I decided to check to see for a new update and there was. After updating it, MASSIVE NOISE and vibration. After it being perfectly stable, it says to rebalance. I can't rebalance something that is perfectly balanced and now the unit is really unusable. I should have stuck with the original firmware as it was workable, now it's really not.

I'm so discouraged. I'll try the above fixes and post back for anyone else looking. Are people still using original Ronins on shoots or has everyone moved on to Ronin-M and/or other brands?
2019-4-9
Use props
Piotr Adamczyk
New
Poland

VinnyS Posted at 4-9 10:30
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread. I bought my Ronin years ago and never used it for this particular reason. I took it out to shoot with my new Blackmagic Pocket 4K and had a slight noise issue. I decided to check to see for a new update and there was. After updating it, MASSIVE NOISE and vibration. After it being perfectly stable, it says to rebalance. I can't rebalance something that is perfectly balanced and now the unit is really unusable. I should have stuck with the original firmware as it was workable, now it's really not.

I'm so discouraged. I'll try the above fixes and post back for anyone else looking. Are people still using original Ronins on shoots or has everyone moved on to Ronin-M and/or other brands?

From what i see in the Dji assistant app you can downgrade, i had very similar issue, noise on idle position and right after turning the gimbal on, but i followed what DJI-擎天柱 wrote:

1. Balance Ronin in all 3 axis.
2. Tighten all knobs in Ronin.
3. Tighten camera securing screw and lens support.
4. Decrease the stiffness of each axis.

I did just the 4th point as the camera was perfectly balanced and all the noise went away. I would consider sticking with the latest updates, In the updated mobile app there's a nice 360 roll option without messing with motor settings.
2019-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules