Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suddendly a mavic pro fall
1498 33 2020-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 146808 ft
Italy

Hi everyone,

in october my almost new mavic pro platinum fell with no explenation during a flight in the sea and i cannot recover it anymore.

After that  i've contacted dji and they said to me that the drone doesn't stabilize itself after the taking off because i was on a boat that was going (really slow) and so it fell...

However, after months of emails they offered me a discount of 15% for the drone only BUT only for shipping to China Mainland when i'm from italy and i've bought the drone from an authorized dealer here in italy and they cannot ship that to me (also if i pay all the shipping)...

So the question is, has you mavic ever fallen in that strange way? And has they ever offered you something like a discount only for a zone?

thanks everyone.
2020-2-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

"So the question is, has you mavic ever fallen in that strange way?"

Do not recall my Mavic Pro P, ever falling.  

Did have an incident where MPp went up per RC command to increase alttitude, but immediately went lower than it was before being commanded to increase alttitude.

Can you post Flight Logs from SmartDevice running GO-4?   

Do you have any video from SmartDevice at time?

2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

After that  i've contacted dji and they said to me that the drone doesn't stabilize itself after the taking off because i was on a boat that was going (really slow) and so it fell...

That sounds very unlikely.
There are plenty of drone flyers to fly from boats (I do) and that does not cause the drone to fall from the sky.
The drone flies perfectly regardless of whether it's an a boat or on land.

Maybe they didn't explain themselves well and really meant something else?
Can you post flight data for the incident?

2020-2-13
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 2-13 15:57

thanks for your reply, i started from a boat (with the helicopter space so it doesn’t hurt something) because i’ve seen a lot of videos doing that...
this afternoon i’ll able to post the flight records!
2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 2-13 22:08
thanks for your reply, i started from a boat (with the helicopter space so it doesn’t hurt something) because i’ve seen a lot of videos doing that...
this afternoon i’ll able to post the flight records!

with the helicopter space so it doesn’t hurt something
What's the helicopter space?
2020-2-13
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 2-13 23:13
with the helicopter space so it doesn’t hurt something
What's the helicopter space?

i was on a boat with the space for the small helicopters!
2020-2-14
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Made more meters from the boat than from land - Italy, Croatia, Spain, Mauritius. You just have to make sure that the boat does not hit the copter after take off. The copter holds the position, the boat doesn't when moving... made this mistake once...
2020-2-14
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

DaMa Posted at 2-14 00:57
Made more meters from the boat than from land - Italy, Croatia, Spain, Mauritius. You just have to make sure that the boat does not hit the copter after take off. The copter holds the position, the boat doesn't when moving... made this mistake once...

i’ve obviously tried to go away from the boat and i’ve done it, and i know that the boat was moving so i go away from it and i went above the sea...
2020-2-14
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 2-13 15:57

here the flight log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/43EF1WM10E750L6RLBVJ/
2020-3-4
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-13 15:45
"So the question is, has you mavic ever fallen in that strange way?"

Do not recall my Mavic Pro P, ever falling.  

hi, here the flight log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/43EF1WM10E750L6RLBVJ/
2020-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

That flight data doesn't show much at all.
It only lasts for five seconds and only one second of that is after launch.
I think you were using a non-standard joystick configuration with the right stick for going up and down?
You only gave it very gentle up stick from 0:04.3 until the end at 0:05.1.
The drone only rose 0.7 feet.
It then hit something and fell, as indicated by the big change in pitch and roll data in the last two lines of data.
What did the drone hit?
Was it part of the boat?

You really needed to push the up stick hard to get the drone up into the air quickly and clear of the boat.
2020-3-4
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

hi, i’ve read the log a lot of times, it last only 10 seconds and then it says also a “motor error” that nobody knows the meaning...

it doesn’t hurt anything, i push the stick to bring the drone above the sea, and i use a standard controller configuration...
2020-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-4 04:41
hi, i’ve read the log a lot of times, it last only 10 seconds and then it says also a “motor error” that nobody knows the meaning...

it doesn’t hurt anything, i push the stick to bring the drone above the sea, and i use a standard controller configuration...

Are you sure you've posted data for the correct flight?
This one lasts only 10 seconds and only one second was off the ground (or boat).
The data doesn't show that message about the motor either.

If you used Mode 2 (the standard configuration, it's very strange.
This is what the data seems to show if you used the standard config.
You hovered and then applied full left stick from 0:02.5 until 0:03.4.
But according to the altitude indication the drone didn't climb at all.
At 0:03.6 you gave it full left stick down until 0:05, which made the drone climb and then come down?
It doesn't make any sense.

2020-3-4
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-4 05:01
hi, i’ve read the log a lot of times, it last only 10 seconds and then it says also a “motor error” that nobody knows the meaning...
Are you sure you've posted data for the correct flight?
This one lasts only 10 seconds and only one second was off the ground (or boat).

all that flight drone doens't have any sense

as another user says (JJB*) there was a Motorfail error at the end...

The log unfortunately is the right one, as i've already said i took off from the boat that has the space for helicopter (as you can understand a mavic pro is smaller than an helicopter) and i immediately put the drone over the sea...

the flight log says also 'Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude:  30m.'
How? I wasn't at 30m of height...

And then when i was above the sea the drone fell witohut hurting something, maybe the motorfail error means something,
however dji support doesn't help me in any way...
2020-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-4 05:18
all that flight drone doens't have any sense

JJB hasn't posted anything in this thread, so where has he said this?
Has he looked at different data?
Is there more to this story than we have here?

The log unfortunately is the right one, as i've already said i took off from the boat that has the space for helicopter (as you can understand a mavic pro is smaller than an helicopter) and i immediately put the drone over the sea...
How high did the drone climb from launch?

the flight log says also 'Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude:  30m.'
How? I wasn't at 30m of height...
That's easy to answer (and about the only thing in the data that makes any sense).
It's just advising that your RTH height was set to 30 metres.
It's a mormal message for the data to show when you get a GPS fix and the home point is recorded.

And then when i was above the sea the drone fell witohut hurting something, maybe the motorfail error means something,
however dji support doesn't help me in any way...
I can understand why DJI might have a problem understanding what you and the data are saying.

2020-3-4
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-4 05:36

jjb post that in this thread

the drone took off like 6 mt high, i don't know properly the height of the boat

dji do not understand my case, that's okay, but they are the producer of the drone and they must support customer and don't just not care of users problems.
2020-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-4 05:44
jjb post that in this thread
dji do not understand my case, that's okay, but they are the producer of the drone and they must support customer and don't just not care of users problems.
jjb post that in https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=199296&page=1&extra=#pid1976705
I've read that now but it doesn't make anything any clearer

The data you posted shows a drone not even climbing to 1 metre.
I really, really think you have posted data from a different flight.

No-one can understand the data and it doesn't match anything in your story.

2020-3-4
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-4 06:00
jjb post that in https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=199296&page=1&extra=#pid1976705
I've read that now but it doesn't make anything any clearer

sorry, i've understood wrong what you mean with climb, i'm not british/american so i don't speak english as a first language, i've understood you mean at which height the drone was when it took off...

nothing is cleaar and nothing was clear at the moment of the drone falling. that's not my fault, i've bought a dji drone because everyone says ther are the best but if a drone can fall an nobody can explain me why that's not the best experience..
2020-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-4 06:08
sorry, i've understood wrong what you mean with climb, i'm not british/american so i don't speak english as a first language, i've understood you mean at which height the drone was when it took off...

nothing is cleaar and nothing was clear at the moment of the drone falling. that's not my fault, i've bought a dji drone because everyone says ther are the best but if a drone can fall an nobody can explain me why that's not the best experience..

No .. I wanted to know how high the drone reached above it's launch spot after you launched.
And I still haven't got a clear answer.

But it probably doesn't matter.
I don't think you understand enough about drones to be able to answer questions or properly describe what happened.
I don't think I can understand what you are trying to say.
And I know that I cannot make any sense of your data.

I'm sorry, I don't think I can help you (and I doubt anyone can).

2020-3-4
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-4 06:21
No .. I wanted to know how high the drone reached above it's launch spot after you launched.

you’re right i’m not a genius in reading data of drones and i know it, i know also that my drone fell without explanations (as you said) and i’ve already described what happened like 10 times, and that’s it.

i don’t know if someone can help me, however the drone is into the sea and it’s not my fault.
2020-3-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 3-4 06:21

I think he is trying to say he took off from a helicopter pad on a boat, I wonder if it was a steel structure?
2020-3-4
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Geebax Posted at 3-4 13:33
I think he is trying to say he took off from a helicopter pad on a boat, I wonder if it was a steel structure?

hi, that’s right, an helicopter pad! there were handled in steel but the app didn’t say ‘strong interferences’
2020-3-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 3-4 05:36

Hi Labroides,

In the log this is seen " MotorFail [ TakeoffException ]" ; last record.
From 3.6 to 4.9 *100% down on the left stick, make no sense as OP wanted to start a flight.

* 2019/09/27 12:59:13.298 > 2019/09/27 12:59:14.575

Have no clue what happend, but cannot understand 100% stick down?!

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2020-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-5 01:37
hi, that’s right, an helicopter pad! there were handled in steel but the app didn’t say ‘strong interferences’

The app does not have to tell you anything, the problem comes once you are in the air. And it sounds to me like that might be what happened to you.
2020-3-5
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

JJB* Posted at 3-5 02:14
Hi Labroides,

In the log this is seen " MotorFail [ TakeoffException ]" ; last record.

hi jjb and thanks for your detailed analysis, i don't remember why i've done it, certainly i didn't want to land on the sea...
Maybe the drone was already inside the sea...
2020-3-5
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Geebax Posted at 3-5 13:04
The app does not have to tell you anything, the problem comes once you are in the air. And it sounds to me like that might be what happened to you.

sorry, which problem? the interferences?
2020-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-5 13:17

The message that DJI refers to in 'strong inrterferences' means radio interference, not magnetic interference.  If you start up the aircraft and take off from a surface containing ferrous metal, you will not get a warning, but the aircraft can become very unstable once in the air.
2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-5 13:17

You only get a warning of strong magnetic interference if the magnetic field is significantly greater than the earth's normal magnetic field.
It's common to have problems caused by a magnetic field that is not stronger than normal, but causes the IMU yaw value to be set in a different direction from the direction of the earth's magnetic field.

Launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface is never a wise thing to do.
2020-3-5
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Geebax Posted at 3-5 18:21
The message that DJI refers to in 'strong inrterferences' means radio interference, not magnetic interference.  If you start up the aircraft and take off from a surface containing ferrous metal, you will not get a warning, but the aircraft can become very unstable once in the air.

thanks, but shouldn't thet have to say it in the app or in other way? however i don't took off from a steel, there were some parts in the boat made of steel but steel is everywhere nowadays...
2020-3-6
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-5 18:44
You only get a warning of strong magnetic interference if the magnetic field is significantly greater than the earth's normal magnetic field.
It's common to have problems caused by a magnetic field that is not stronger than normal, but causes the IMU yaw value to be set in a different direction from the direction of the earth's magnetic field.

thank you so much for the explanation! however i didn't took off from a steal, there were steal on the boat but not in the helicopter pad...
2020-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-6 02:58
thank you so much for the explanation! however i didn't took off from a steal, there were steal on the boat but not in the helicopter pad...

The flight data and your description don't sound like a compass issue.
2020-3-6
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-6 03:22
The flight data and your description don't sound like a compass issue.

I've calibrated the compass as i do before everytime i take off and then, dji doesn't have to offer you a discount or another drone if the fault is of the drone and not mine?
2020-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

leonardoleonardo Posted at 3-6 03:24
I've calibrated the compass as i do before everytime i take off and then, dji doesn't have to offer you a discount or another drone if the fault is of the drone and not mine?

Calibrating your compass before each flight is a waste of effort and doesn't make your flight any safer.
If it can be proved that the cause of the drone's loss was a DJI fault, DJI will make a warranty replacement
If the data shows that the cause was something else, there is no replacement offer.
If there is no proof of what caused the incident, there is also no replacement.
2020-3-6
Use props
leonardoleonardo
lvl.2
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-6 03:33
Calibrating your compass before each flight is a waste of effort and doesn't make your flight any safer.
If it can be proved that the cause of the drone's loss was a DJI fault, DJI will make a warranty replacement
If the data shows that the cause was something else, there is no replacement offer.

so, in this case the didn't help me.
on the contrary, they offer me before a 15%, then with the manager the 20% of discount for a shipment to China mainland when i was texting with the netherlands support and i'm from italy.

after tons of email and i also offered to pay a courrier for the shipment and also the customs fees listening that they cannot give the package to another courrier (they don't know why) i thought they were kidding me....
2020-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules