Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Swelling Battery
3657 22 2020-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skyris
Captain
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi I am quite worried with one of my batterys that came with my DJI mavic 2 pro, I made a flight today and when landed I noticed that the baterry wasnt quite clipped in properly but before the flight it was snug as usual, I tried to push it in but it wouldnt sit right, when I pulled the battery from the drone I noticed that it was slightly swollen on the side that sits in the battery tray.
This seems to be a massive problem and lucky the drone didnt cut out whilst flying.
Can someone from DJI help with this problem
Is any one else having this issue?
2020-2-13
Use props
djiuser_qBl64nATifWQ
New

United States

Many reports of this on aged batteries. There is no "safe" fix. If the battery overheated, it may reshape but most likely it needs to be replaced.
2020-2-13
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Understand old battery swell but this swells underneath pushing it out of the drone whilst flying. It clicked in fine before flying. I will replace this but how many drone fall because of this
2020-2-13
Use props
djiuser_qBl64nATifWQ
New

United States

No one keeps statistics but I'm sure it has happened.
2020-2-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Skyris. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.
2020-2-14
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-14 07:59
Hello and good day Skyris. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.

Hi DJI Stephen but this is a major design flaw, the battery clipped in fine before the flight and when landed it was half out, the bulge of the battery was at the bottom pushing the battery out of the tray on the drone,
Maybe I have an old designed battery and this has been corrected but feel the battery isnt old enough to be replaced yet, I have always charged it properly and kept 20%-25% before landing.
I understand batteries can swell, I used to fly the DJI s900 with large lipo batteries and they did start to swell at times but there was no way they would get pushed out of the drone..
My Inspire batteries are slightly swollen at times but they have areas where they are able to swell on the sides.. Its really concerning with the mavic 2 pro.
Can DJI replace this faulty battery?
2020-2-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Skyris Posted at 2-15 21:29
Hi DJI Stephen but this is a major design flaw, the battery clipped in fine before the flight and when landed it was half out, the bulge of the battery was at the bottom pushing the battery out of the tray on the drone,
Maybe I have an old designed battery and this has been corrected but feel the battery isnt old enough to be replaced yet, I have always charged it properly and kept 20%-25% before landing.
I understand batteries can swell, I used to fly the DJI s900 with large lipo batteries and they did start to swell at times but there was no way they would get pushed out of the drone..

Hello and good day Skyris. Thank you for sharing these additional information with regards to the intelligent flight batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. For us to be able to assist you further with regards to this issue. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further. Agian I am sorry for the trouble and thank.
2020-2-16
Use props
Forestjim
Captain
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI has replaced free of charge 5 on my M2P batteries because they were swollen.. They were between 8-11 months old.
2020-2-25
Use props
RampL Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-14 07:59
Hello and good day Skyris. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.

Newer batteries that swell are a manufacturer defect in the battery, older lithium polymer, 5 or 6 year old batteries with heavy use swell..
2020-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

RampL Aerial photography Posted at 2-25 04:45
Newer batteries that swell are a manufacturer defect in the battery, older lithium polymer, 5 or 6 year old batteries with heavy use swell..

Hello and good day RampL Aerial photography. Thank you for sharing these information and you insights with regards to this matter. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-2-25
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

RampL Aerial photography Posted at 2-25 04:45

I agree, batteries shouldnt have a 1-2 year battery life.. My main concern is that the battery pushes it self out of the tray...
2020-3-2
Use props
Eftixis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2148419 ft
Greece

Dear DJI
The problem with the battery is very serious I had a serious accident due to the battery left over the boat having only 39 charges and with time flying only 1 minute
My drone crash from 29 meter altitude but without battery
I was very Lucky and I fount it
I wonder what would happen if the battery or even the boat fell on people - even in cars
I mean he was flying normally he suddenly wrote me Disconnect The battery had left the boat had power cut off So it was still very difficult for me to fount the boat
I'll send you the Airdata to understand that the crash wasn't due to mismanagement
finally after many attempts i couldn't find the battery What can the DJI company do for such a serious problem
CB881264-6968-44DC-AED6-59AB26189431.jpeg
846F0F94-DB63-4148-B2E0-FF33D970EEF9.jpeg
5658C39F-77E4-4609-8824-3B290E8B36C0.jpeg
2020-3-3
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Eftixis Posted at 3-3 12:10
Dear DJI
The problem with the battery is very serious I had a serious accident due to the battery left over the boat having only 39 charges and with time flying only 1 minute
My drone crash from 29 meter altitude but without battery
[Image]

Firstly I would expect a replacment for the bottom swollen battery and I guess they need to develop a fix for this unless they have already and I have an older version battery
2020-3-3
Use props
Eftixis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2148419 ft
Greece

I show photos from my last Battery that I sent to DJ and they don’t want to replacement to me It was only with 39 recharges
I believe that the problem is very serious and i would like to have an answer
Look that photos
94E0F068-B29C-4CF9-A613-2DD31D36840E.jpeg
74A58E2C-4480-452F-8B06-708E8F127D21.jpeg
C915FC51-4A38-47B7-B73C-B17CB1DB3D1E.jpeg
4109CD6E-1D6D-4C5B-85B7-8711523F2383.png
2020-3-4
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

if this is happening a lot, its not long until FAA or CASA will find out and will ground these drones or a Massive battery recall.
I used to have the dji s900 and batterys always had a small amount of swelling, these on the mavic batterys have no where for the swelling to go unless pushing the battery out of the battery tray and cutting out motors...
I am going to try get a replacement if not I will seek advice from an ombudsman.. I shouldnt have to buy a battery every 1.5 years.
2020-3-4
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Eftixis Posted at 3-4 05:25
I show photos from my last Battery that I sent to DJ and they don’t want to replacement to me It was only with 39 recharges
I believe that the problem is very serious and i would like to have an answer
Look that photos

if this is happening a lot, its not long until FAA or CASA will find out and will ground these drones or a Massive battery recall.
I used to have the dji s900 and batterys always had a small amount of swelling, these on the mavic batterys have no where for the swelling to go unless pushing the battery out of the battery tray and cutting out motors...
I am going to try get a replacement if not I will seek advice from an ombudsman.. I shouldnt have to buy a battery every 1.5 years.
2020-3-4
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Large numbers of people have had this problem with M2 batteries, even after 20 or so cycles.

All 3 of mine did within 25 cycles and 7 months of use.  DJI refused to replace because its outside the 6 month period for warranty of batteries.  Cost me hundreds of dollars for 3 new batteries.
2020-3-6
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

is anyone from dji reading this, this is extremely dangerous... sounds like a battery recall.. mine and many others are swelling pushing the battery out of the drone...
2020-3-6
Use props
SteigJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 573100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skyris Posted at 3-6 01:31
is anyone from dji reading this, this is extremely dangerous... sounds like a battery recall.. mine and many others are swelling pushing the battery out of the drone...

I was one of the first customers for the Mavic 2 Pro. I've had about 180 flights on the three batteries (two from flymore kit). All three batteries are swelling now. It just started happening recently.
I conversed with DJI online customer report. They refuse to do anything because the batteries are out of warranty. They were purchased in September 2018. All three batteries were manufactured in mid-august according to my complete flight logs in airdata.com.

So it turns out it is not a problem unique to me. I just find it incredible that all three batteries are failing and they have been cared for properly. They've never been discharged below 20%, they never sit around with full charge, never flown in anything but comfortable weather. They were manufactured in August, 2018.

DJI, please do the right thing. There is no reason such expensive batteries should have such a limited lifetime!

On further question: Has this problem been solved? I guess we'll know in a few months.
2020-3-6
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

SteigJ Posted at 3-6 17:49
I was one of the first customers for the Mavic 2 Pro. I've had about 180 flights on the three batteries (two from flymore kit). All three batteries are swelling now. It just started happening recently.
I conversed with DJI online customer report. They refuse to do anything because the batteries are out of warranty. They were purchased in September 2018. All three batteries were manufactured in mid-august according to my complete flight logs in airdata.com.

Yours was purchased the same time as mine, although I purchased one battery, I purchased my second about 3 months later and seem this one is fine, could be a bad batch from the 1st made
2020-3-6
Use props
SteigJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 573100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skyris Posted at 3-6 18:04
Yours was purchased the same time as mine, although I purchased one battery, I purchased my second about 3 months later and seem this one is fine, could be a bad batch from the 1st made

Well, I wonder if there are a considerable number of Mavic 2 battery customers who share common questions of law and fact.
2020-3-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

Countless threads on this and mavic pilots forum (DJI are well aware).

Initially pretty much ALL the batteries that were failing after a few tens of cycles were the first batches made from July to September.  The ones purchased after that appear to have more normal life cycles.
2020-3-6
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 3-6 20:54
Countless threads on this and mavic pilots forum (DJI are well aware).

Initially pretty much ALL the batteries that were failing after a few tens of cycles were the first batches made from July to September.  The ones purchased after that appear to have more normal life cycles.

There should be a battery recall for the early made ones...
2020-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules