Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
30 FPS Footage stuttery
4038 19 2020-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mizzu
First Officer
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Hey guys.
Today I flew around a little and realized that I've never tried to shoot videos in 30FPS.

So I switched to it, since I found that all the other videos shot in 25FPS look a little jittery/stuttery (in general).

When I came home and watched the footage on my PC, I saw that the 30FPS videos have a little stutter each 0.5 second or so.
Also I saw, that some of my 25-FPS-videos look like they got motion blur and some of them don't look like.
Did anyone see this phenomenon as well?
What to do? Is it normal? Better to shoot in 'all-time-stuttery-25FPS'?

I'm not running too weak PC Hardware or something like that, so we can exclude this as the issue.

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing. ;-)

2020-2-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Mizzu. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to post a short sample footage of the said video for us to able to see and assist you further. Thank you.
2020-2-15
Use props
Mizzu
First Officer
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-15 09:15
Hello and good day Mizzu. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to post a short sample footage of the said video for us to able to see and assist you further. Thank you.

I tried uploading it in Google Drive / Youtube but somehow there you can't see it. Maybe because of the compression or so, no idea.
2020-2-15
Use props
Mizzu
First Officer
Germany

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... oPKampdtYHa2aS7QuoC
You can see it in in the grass at the bottom of the screen. I mean the higher one, when it's transitioning upwards.
2020-2-15
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Motion blur depends on speed, both shutter and drone velocity. But stutters every n seconds it has to do with the media you're recording in almost certainly.

Are you using an approved microSD card XC UHS-I U3 ?

Check the compatibility list on DJI website https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-mini/specs
2020-2-15
Use props
Failure
First Officer
Flight distance : 135010 ft
Germany

It depends on the refresh rate of your display.
Viewing 30/60/120 FPS footage on a 25/50/100 Hertz display will produce little skips.
Same the other way around, viewing 25/50/100 FPS footage on a 30/60/120 Hertz display.
Try setting your display's refresh rate to an equivalent of your footage's FPS. I.e if your footage is 30 FPS, set your display's refresh rate to either 30, 60 or 120 Hertz.

2020-2-15
Use props
Mizzu
First Officer
Germany

Well I'm running my Monitor on 60 Hz.
And yes, I use a proper SD card. Sandisk Extreme, even a little Over-the-Top for the 40 Mbit/s.
2020-2-15
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Mizzu Posted at 2-15 09:38
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... oPKampdtYHa2aS7QuoC
You can see it in in the grass at the bottom of the screen. I mean the higher one, when it's transitioning upwards.

I think you’re just seeing the effect of the very fast shutter and the lack of motion blur.
2020-2-15
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

Is the native video stuttery or just after you’ve processed it.  Also what are you processing with?  There is a known issue with 30fps editing on iMovie on a Mac.  I have not experienced this with the mini though.  I used to have the issue with my Spark
2020-2-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 2-15 12:55
I think you’re just seeing the effect of the very fast shutter and the lack of motion blur.

I agree, if you want a more accurate opinion, then we need to see the original, un-edited, footage. Try uploading it to Dropbox and paste a link on this thread.
2020-2-15
Use props
Haggi
Captain
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

The footage from my Spark is VFR (variable frame rate) and I always transcode it to CFR (constant frame rate) before edit.
Most editors handle VFR, some do not.
2020-2-15
Use props
Mizzu
First Officer
Germany

Hm. I didn't think about it yet, this could actually be the point, since my Osmo Action behaves in the same sh** way, when using it in Auto-Mode.

The footage is original and not edited, the only processing that happened is what youtube does to it.
When I edit it, I use Premiere or Filmora, depends.
2020-2-16
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Te be honest I can't see a problem here.

I've downloaded the video and played it back and it is buttery smooth using my hardware and software, the still pictures are tack sharp in the bottom part even during fast motion.

So if it's not storage memory related this seems to be suggesting a slow or impaired rendering process. It can happen for several reasons, among which unaccelerated software rendering or hardware limitations. Think of it as a deviation of rendering display time, almost as if were rolling shutter, despite keeping the frame rendering rate steady some are displayed sooner than others.

As for the cause some have pointed out about rendering in sub-optimal time compared to monitor refresh rate personally I've never found any significant different using a v-synched rendering, especially for relatively slow paced film and frame rate.
2020-2-16
Use props
Donsir_LTU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

I agree with you too
2020-2-16
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haggi Posted at 2-15 14:22
The footage from my Spark is VFR (variable frame rate) and I always transcode it to CFR (constant frame rate) before edit.
Most editors handle VFR, some do not.

I've never heard anyone say the Spark records in VFR.  As far as I'm aware, it records only at 30FPS (29.97) always with no options to change.  
2020-2-16
Use props
Haggi
Captain
Norway

KlooGee Posted at 2-16 07:26
I've never heard anyone say the Spark records in VFR.  As far as I'm aware, it records only at 30FPS (29.97) always with no options to change.
Almost every consumer camcorder does this.
Someone pointed it to be slightly wrong timing between first and second frame of footage, resulting in wrong metadata.
Originally a problem with imovie and fcpx. Other editors may also suffer.
You will circumvent the issue by cutting/splitting the footage, transcode or adjust project settings.
Most NLE will handle VFR footage, but not all.

A couple of YT links about the issue and solution:

2020-2-17
Use props
Haggi
Captain
Norway

Well, I have to admit.. I did not download the footage. My bad.
Through google drive integrated player it did stutter, but downloaded file did not.
Mediainfo state the footage is CFR.
I agree with @Ice_2k and I rest my case.
2020-2-17
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haggi Posted at 2-17 06:32
Almost every consumer camcorder does this.
Someone pointed it to be slightly wrong timing between first and second frame of footage, resulting in wrong metadata.
Originally a problem with imovie and fcpx. Other editors may also suffer.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the problem Jevon describes doesn't seem to me to be variable frame rate at all.  It just looks like FCPX was reading the metadata incorrectly and was playing it back wrongly and causing problems.  Adobe and VLC were playing it back normally.

2020-2-17
Use props
Corger
Second Officer
United States

"I'm not running too weak PC Hardware or something like that, so we can exclude this as the issue."

You never said exactly what GPU and CPU you are using, so maybe it is the cause.  

I have noticed stuttering (dropped frames) when I try to play back 2.7k video, 60fps video, and 4k video on integrated Intel graphics.   It's just not that good at decoding.  I played your video on my MacBook Pro 2015 with Intel Iris graphics using VLC and it ALMOST played back smoothly.  On my i3-3225 PC with Intel graphics there are lots of dropped frames.  Everything plays back smoothly on my Xeon E5-1650v3 workstation with an nVidia 1080 GPU.

Anyway, maybe you are using lower end Intel integrated graphics for playback.  Just a thought.
2020-2-18
Use props
Mizzu
First Officer
Germany

Corger Posted at 2-18 06:10
"I'm not running too weak PC Hardware or something like that, so we can exclude this as the issue."

You never said exactly what GPU and CPU you are using, so maybe it is the cause.  

Nah, I can assure that this is not the point ;)
Running a Ryzen 2700+ and a GeFore 1080 with 16GB Corsair, this is more than enough for some crappy Video-watching.

Maybe I got faulty codecs? I really find it strange, can anyone recommend some Codec Pack or something like this so that I could try it out?
2020-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules