MAVIC LOST SIGNAL AND GONE
12Next >
1754 44 2020-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

I need help, today I flew and after 2 minutes I understoos that I did not have any control about my drone (dji mavic pro). There was a little bit windy but I flew sometimes when it was worst. I try to return the home but the drone still flying away from home point. I try to come back by myself but it still the same problem. I try to land anyware but when I get 21m I lost signal and drone with 60% of battery gone. Is anybody able to find the drone based on my logs? +/- 100m ? It is very hard area to looking for it...

https://app.airdata.com/share/MSwUwf

If somebody need more information please let me know.

Best regards,
Kamil
2020-2-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This will show you more detail than Airdata:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/P1HCMUPXKCB2LJAO69YG/

At 1:50 your drone was 279 metres up 550 metres away.
While hovering there it was and being blown further away at 7-8 metres/sec.
That should have been a warning to get the drone down out of the wind and bring it home.

You left it at that height and let it blow further away, reaching 690 metres before initiating RTH at 2:08.3.
At 3:26.4 you began lowering the drone to 229 metres, the drift reduced to 5-7 metres/sec but the drone was still being blown further away.
You cancelled RTH and tried flying manually, but the drone kept being blown further away at 7-8 m/s.

You brought it lower again, down to 121 metres at 5:33 but it was still being blown further away at 6-7m/s.

At 6:01.6 you finally made a real effort to get the drone lower and brought it down, it was now 1900 metres away.
You left it hovering while descending.
When the data ends, the drone was 2200 metres away and down to 20 metres higher than the launch point (but still 100 metres above the ground below it) and still blowing away at 10 m/s.

Battery level was 60% when you lost signal and the drone will have continued in the same direction for a few kilometres until the battery reached critical low voltage and it will have autolanded.
2020-2-18
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Thanks but I know all of it... I know I reacted too late. I did not realize it was so much windy, I flew many Times in similar condition. Now I need help hom many kilometers it could flew on this 60% of baterry, I think drone try to back home Point so ot is hard to count....
Any Ideas it is possible to find it?
2020-2-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-18 20:33
Thanks but I know all of it... I know I reacted too late. I did not realize it was so much windy, I flew many Times in similar condition. Now I need help hom many kilometers it could flew on this 60% of baterry, I think drone try to back home Point so ot is hard to count....

I did not realize it was so much windy,
The wind at 279 metres is always going to be much stronger than what you feel on the ground.
All you had to do was look at your screen and what the app was telling you.

I flew many Times in similar condition.
That's hard to believe.
You would have lost the drone very quickly if you showed as little awareness in similar conditions.

Now I need help hom many kilometers it could flew on this 60% of baterry, I think drone try to back home Point so ot is hard to count....

It's not possible to give you any answer that would really help.
But here's some rough figuring ...
You had 60% battery and it was burning at about 1% each 14 seconds.
That leaves about 560 seconds until 20%
RTH will have initiated after loss of signal.
RTH flies in still air at 10 m/s

The wind was gusty, the drone was blowing away at 5-10 m/s just trying to hover.
It's not possible to know what speed the drone would have made under RTH against the gusty wind
But we can tell that the drone would still have been going backwards.

If we guess 5 m/s for 560 seconds, that puts the drone 5 km southwest of the launch point
If we guess 7.5 m/s, it would be 6.4 km away.
Ther actual distance could be more or less than that.

It's not possible to give you any location that would be likely.

In short ... the drone is gone.

2020-2-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Different outcome...

During last 21.4 seconds of flight drone dropped from 50.1m to 20.7m or dropped by 29.4m.  Drone was descending at rate of 1.44m/s.
At last altitude logged of 20.7m drone could have flown another 14.36 seconds before hitting ground.

During last 21.4 seconds of flight drone was flying an average speed of 6.84m/s.
In 14.4 seconds, drone could have flown another 98.4m before impacting ground.

But how far it actually could have flown depends up topology and objects (tall trees, bushes) above ground.

Assuming drone didn't get tangeled up in trees or bushes and topology was smooth, no gullies or ridges...
Possible crash location: 12.587763, -86.846531  (extrapoliatd based on 98.4m and projected drone course of last 21.4 seconds)
Looking back towards last recorded GPS position: 12.587955, -86.845632
2020-2-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Another but no so different outcome,

After loosing signal MP did continue to drift backwards (in a RTH mode), climbing from 20 to 30 meters height. (RTH height setting)
Put all the data (drift speed, batt level, heading, landing speed, landing at % batt etc) in a algortithm, see chart for the calculated position.
This ofcourse if no obstacles in this fly-path.

So agree ; chance of finding your drone ; 1%....

cheers
JJB
analysis2.png
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 00:22
Different outcome...

During last 21.4 seconds of flight drone dropped from 50.1m to 20.7m or dropped by 29.4m.  Drone was descending at rate of 1.44m/s.

At last altitude logged of 20.7m drone could have flown another 14.36 seconds before hitting ground.

The altitude only dropped because he had the left stick full down.
As soon as signal was lost, it would have stopped descending.

You've assumed that the land all around is all flat.
Read the last few lines of post #2 again.
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

JJB* Posted at 2-19 01:00

After loosing signal MP did continue to drift backwards (in a RTH mode), climbing from 20 to 30 meters height. (RTH height setting)
[Image]

Yes I think the same:/ thanks for reply
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Labroides Posted at 2-19 02:27

Unfortunately I think the same, after losing signal drone do not Fall down
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Labroides Posted at 2-18 21:35
I did not realize it was so much windy,
The wind at 279 metres is always going to be much stronger than what you feel on the ground.
All you had to do was look at your screen and what the app was telling you.

I fly in similar condition in Peru in Nazca, on the beaches in Colombia, in nepal in Himalaya was exactly the same. Never drone was not able to pit it down, I also think that it was a liitkr bit all and maybe motors were not so strong when it was New one? Is it possible?

2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 05:14
I fly in similar condition in Peru in Nazca, on the beaches in Colombia, in nepal in Himalaya was exactly the same. Never drone was not able to pit it down, I also think that it was a liitkr bit all and maybe motors were not so strong when it was New one? Is it possible?

I fly in similar condition in Peru in Nazca, on the beaches in Colombia, in nepal in Himalaya was exactly the same. Never drone was not able to pit it down,
If you had flown in similar conditions before, you would have:
1.  Lost your drone
2.  Learned something about dealing with wind.

At 2:07 you were 279 metres (915 feet) up.
Just hovering, trying to hold position your drone was being blown away at 8.6 m/s (19mph).
To fly at full speed against that wind, your drone would still be blown backwards.
And you waited until 6 minutes when the drone was nearly 2 kilometres away before even bringing it down.
I also think that it was a liitkr bit all and maybe motors were not so strong when it was New one? Is it possible?
No .. your drone is not like a worn out car that gets slower with age..
My drone has flown >5000km in 3 years  and flies as fast as when brand new.
This incident was 100% down to the way the operator handled the drone.
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Labroides Posted at 2-19 05:32
I fly in similar condition in Peru in Nazca, on the beaches in Colombia, in nepal in Himalaya was exactly the same. Never drone was not able to pit it down,
If you had flown in similar conditions before, you would have:
1.  Lost your drone

I didi not wait 6minutes, i try tu return to home and try to it by myself, like I told you wheather was good, I did not fsel strong wind in the place where I stand, it was normal...range for mavic is told around 7km so why it lost totally signal after 2km?!
I know I make the mistake but there was more problems, not only my fault
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 05:49
I didi not wait 6minutes, i try tu return to home and try to it by myself, like I told you wheather was good, I did not fsel strong wind in the place where I stand, it was normal...range for mavic is told around 7km so why it lost totally signal after 2km?!
I don't like to rub it in when you've lost a drone, but you aren't understanding the facts of the incident, so I'll be blunt.

I didi not wait 6minutes, i try tu return to home and try to it by myself,
The recorded flight data shows that you left the Mavic up high in winds it could not fly against until 6 minutes.
I gave you a link to a flight data summary in post #2 where you can see it clearly.

like I told you wheather was good, I did not fsel strong wind in the place where I stand, it was normal.
But your dronewasn't down where you were.
It was >900 feet up in the air in very different conditions.
Your app was telling you that the drone could not hold position.
It was telling you that it could not make headway against the wind.
And the recorded flight data shows what was happening.
But you had no idea down where you were.
The wind up high is always stronger than it is on the ground.

If there were other problems, I can't see them in the data.
What other problems do you think happened?

The data is saying that this was a clear case of a flyer with no idea how to deal with wind, giving their drone to the wind to take it away.
It's saying that it was 100% the flyer's fault.
You could always talk to DJI and see how they interpret the data if you want a second opinion.

2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-19 02:27

Agree drone would have stopped descending once, it quit receiving commands from RC.  

But, I didn't assume land was all flat.  As I stated:  " But how far it actually could have flown depends up topology and objects (tall trees, bushes) above ground. "

Since drone pilot/owner asking as to where look, this was a possible starting place.  Versus, saying: For Get About It.

2020-2-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry to know about this unfortunate incident. With regards to this concern. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) for further assistance. Please note that DJI will not be able to perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period of the drone. Otherwise, valid charges will apply. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-19 01:00

Hey JJB:
Nice altitude chart.  I wish I could run FRAP-2 on my new Laptop, but it means buying another Windows License, and messing around with BootCamp.

Can you confirm...
From looking at verbose flight log file:
- Mavic Pro was in regular mode (not sport)?  Explaining why it was loosing against 14.8-MPH wind (airdata.com estimated)
- On signal loss, Mavic Pro was set to RTH (not set to wait for commands or not set to land)?
2020-2-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 09:36
Hey JJB:
Nice altitude chart.  I wish I could run FRAP-2 on my new Laptop, but it means buying another Windows License, and messing around with BootCamp.

Hi HedgeTrimmer,

Yes;  P-GPS mode so never in Sport mode.
RTH setting : set to RTH, not hover or wait for commands.

Good question about fighting the wind.
Let me think, drone can fight against wind using max pitch down allowed by the SW, if heading towards home is heading against wind than only pitch down is needed.
Looking at this flight, drone did headed to home but much wind from its fwd-left (roughly) . So craft needs pitch and roll to fly towards home. left roll to compensate drifting, so less power thus speed in the gohome direction?  just a thought....

And as you see ; craft did pitch down 18 degrees, is that normal for a mavic pro in a RTH mode?
Comparing to other types i would say yes.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Labroides Posted at 2-19 06:01
I don't like to rub it in when you've lost a drone, but you aren't understanding the facts of the incident, so I'll be blunt.

I didi not wait 6minutes, i try tu return to home and try to it by myself,

Heh I see you are super clever, I am looking for help not for judging so take care about yourself...
I know what I can fly with the wind, in my opinin there was something else not only the wind because the signal lost after 2000m so for mavic it shpuld not be a problem
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 09:36
Hey JJB:

Hi, yes I use it in regular Mode, and it was Open space so I do kot know why I lost the signal after 2000m...
2020-2-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 12:30
Heh I see you are super clever, I am looking for help not for judging so take care about yourself...
I know what I can fly with the wind, in my opinin there was something else not only the wind because the signal lost after 2000m so for mavic it shpuld not be a problem

Looking at where you flew, by the time the aircraft got down to 20 Metres or so, there would have been a hill between you and the aircraft, so that would account for why it lost signal and disconnected.
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 06:51
Agree drone would have stopped descending once, it quit receiving commands from RC.  

But, I didn't assume land was all flat.  As I stated:  " But how far it actually could have flown depends up topology and objects (tall trees, bushes) above ground. "

I took this: Drone was descending at rate of 1.44m/s.

... to mean you thought it was only 20 metres above the ground.
But as I pointed out in post #2, his drone was still 100 metres above the ground and being blown further away at speed.

Since drone pilot/owner asking as to where look, this was a possible starting place.  Versus, saying: For Get About It.

You didn't understand what I went to some trouble to explain in post #5.
It's certainly not worth looking anywhere near the last recorded location since the drone is somewhere 2-4 kilometres further away.
Forget about it?
I'd think that's a reasonable suggestion when the search area can't be narrowed down from 4 square kilometres of thick vegetation that looks very difficult to access.

2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I know what I can fly with the wind, in my opinin there was something else not only the wind because the signal lost after 2000m so for mavic it shpuld not be a problem

I see that you are in denial and have very little experience or understanding.
You don't like what you hear, but losing a drone is an unpleasant experience.
But losing a drone and not understanding why or learning from it is worse.

No-one else has managed to point out any other factor to explain the loss of your drone.
You can't say anything except it's not my fault.

I'd suggest that you ask DJI for help (see post #19) and see what their experts can find.
I think I know because I've already looked at the same data they will.
They won't explain it to you in anywhere near the detail I have and if it's out of warranty, they will charge you.

Good luck with that.
2020-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your very observant. But not particularly about the drone .
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Labroides Posted at 2-19 14:11
I see that you are in denial and have very little experience or understanding.

Heh I see you can not read with understanding... Feomthe first post I am looking for solution to find the drone, I thought that maybe someone is able to predixt where it could crash and you try to give me your awesome tips with your extra experience, for what? You would like to show people how great you are?

I think this topic shpuld be closed because tejre is nothing worth Time to read
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

hallmark007 Posted at 2-19 15:03
Your very observant. But not particularly about the drone .

Thank for your excelent observation, if you are so great find out where drone could crash not wrote this stupid comments.
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Geebax Posted at 2-19 13:17
Looking at where you flew, by the time the aircraft got down to 20 Metres or so, there would have been a hill between you and the aircraft, so that would account for why it lost signal and disconnected.

Yes I see your Point, but still I was on the Hill so there was none objects between me and drone.
I always thought that in Open area signal lost could be around 4-5 km not after 2...
2020-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 16:12
Thank for your excelent observation, if you are so great find out where drone could crash not wrote this stupid comments.

Your welcome, but maybe check some of your own comments .
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Geebax Posted at 2-19 13:17

Yes I see your Point, but still I was on the Hill so there was none objects between me and drone.
I always thought that in Open area signal lost could be around 4-5 km not after 2...
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

hallmark007 Posted at 2-19 16:15
Your welcome, but maybe check some of your own comments .

Heh, it was only losing Time on this forum...
I hope I make your day better
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 16:10
Heh I see you can not read with understanding... Feomthe first post I am looking for solution to find the drone, I thought that maybe someone is able to predixt where it could crash and you try to give me your awesome tips with your extra experience, for what? You would like to show people how great you are?

Heh I see you can not read with understanding...
Funny ... I've developed the same opinion about you.
But I think only one of us is correct.

Feomthe first post I am looking for solution to find the drone, I thought that maybe someone is able to predixt where it could crash and you try to give me your awesome tips with your extra experience, for what? You would like to show people how great you are?
I already went to some effort to explain the difficulties of identifying a search location. back in Post #5.
But the effort was completely wasted on you because while you may have read it, you clearly did not understand.
Just like you don't understand how it was your ignorance of basic drone flying that lost your drone.
But perhaps your incident can be a useful lesson for others?

Haha !!

2020-2-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 16:15
Yes I see your Point, but still I was on the Hill so there was none objects between me and drone.

The range advertised by DJI is a joke, it is almost never able to go that distance.
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Labroides Posted at 2-19 16:33
Heh I see you can not read with understanding...
Funny ... I've developed the same opinion about you.
But I think only one of us is correct.

You have very small ego maybe writing your usless comments helps you, I hope so, I think there is no other explanation.
See you
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Geebax Posted at 2-19 16:40
The range advertised by DJI is a joke, it is almost never able to go that distance.

Yes I know it is not pisiible to rich 7km like they said but 4km was normal for flying in Open area, I have never had till this Time problem with it
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 16:53
You have very small ego  maybe writing your usless comments helps you, I hope so, I think there is no other explanation.
See you
It doesn't matter that you lost signal at two kilometres, you had already lost the drone and couldn't bring it back.

To someone that lost their drone and refuses to learn from the experience, I can only say ...
Loser
2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-19 11:54
Hi HedgeTrimmer,

Yes;  P-GPS mode so never in Sport mode.

Thanks for info and reply!
2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-19 13:58

I took this: Drone was descending at rate of 1.44m/s.

But as I pointed out in post #2, his drone was still 100 metres above the ground and being blown further away at speed.
How did you arrive at drone still being 100-meters above the ground?

2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 18:11

This isn't my first rodeo.
I've been finding lost drones and investigating incidents for several years.

This also shows why he lost signal.
Nic.jpg
2020-2-19
Use props
Kamil1989
lvl.2
Nicaragua

Labroides Posted at 2-19 17:11
It doesn't matter that you lost signal at two kilometres, you had already lost the drone and couldn't bring it back.

To someone that lost their drone and refuses to learn from the experience, I can only say ...

You are loser, and it is sad because you do not even know about it... Find another kindergarten where someone would like to listen your crying.
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 18:41
You are loser, and it is sad because you do not even know about it... Find another kindergarten where someone would like to listen your crying.

Hey big L .. did you look at the figure above your last post?
Do you see how the higher ground you had flown behind blocked signal when you finally got around to descending?
Think about what that does to radio signals??

If you can point out any error in my assessment, I'd be most interested.
Somehow you haven't been able to yet??
2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Kamil1989 Posted at 2-19 12:32
Hi, yes I use it in regular Mode, and it was Open space so I do kot know why I lost the signal after 2000m...

Do not use the aircraft in severe weather conditions. These include wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s, snow, rain and fog.

Assuming airdata Wind Speed of 14.8-MPH is correct, drone was not being flown in violation of manual's 22-MPH.

When the Forward Vision System is enabled and lighting conditions are sufficient, the maximum flight attitude angle is 16° with a maximum flight speed of 22 mph (36 kph). When forward obstacle sensing are disabled, the maximum flight attitude angle is 25° and the maximum flight speed is 36 mph (58 kph).
Max Speed 40.4 mph (65 kph) in Sport Mode without wind

Assuming airdata Wind Speed of 14.8-MPH is correct, drone should have been returning to home with ground speed around 7.2 MPH (or 3.22 m/s).  Not loosing ground.

Max Transmission Distance FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km); CE: 2.5 mi (4 km) SRRC: 2.5 mi (4 km) Unobstructed and free of interference.

Flight log shows drone to be 2216.08-meters away from home, when contact was lost.  Roughly 55% of Max Transmsion distance for (CE or SRRC).  

Even though Mavic Pro was flying well within it's Max Transmission Distance; we know lot of things can effect that distance.  Nearby radio interference, brush and trees weaking signal, Solar flares, and whether RC antennas are aimed towards drone, and close to vertical of drone; can reduce Max Transmission distance.

AND as shown in post 46 above, there was terrian between RC and drone.

(Sorry for all corrections: For some reason this post was getting garbaged with Web Codes)

2020-2-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules