Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
When Drone isn't making it back - Give it up...
1468 27 2020-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Been numerous threads about drones not making it back Home.  Frequently as a result of Winds exceeding drone's Maximum Airspeed.
Regardles of the why drone isn't making it back home, if drone is still responding to pilot commands - It is time to give it up, and go for salvage of drone.

Following is opening suggestions for Goal of Recovering drone, vs. waving Bye-bye.  DJI general does not cover missing drone claims.

• Start drone recording video.  Allows for review of last few minutes, increasing chances of salvage.
  • Tilt camera downward by 60-degrees. Perhaps only 45-degrees?
  • Rotate drone to where camera is looking in direction drone is moving.
  • Look for a possible emergency landing area.  Don't be picky.  Preferably an area you could identify from ground.  Bare patch, obvious shrub or bush, large flat rock, etc.
  • Throttle down, (comand drone to descend), doing best you can to land at chosen spot.
  • If you miss chosen spot.  Continue descending.  Till drone is down.  Remembering goal is salvage drone for possible claim under coverage.
  • Once drone is down, try to Pan camera around to where it gives a video of where it is.  Drone may be on it side, upside down.
  • (Adding) Use GO-4's "Find My Drone", turning on "ESC beeping" and "Smart LED".
  • (Adding) Before moving to start search.  Eyeball closest landmark to where you last saw drone.  From where you are take a SmartPhone picture of landmark.  And picture of where you are standing.  Helps if you have to start search over or enlist others in search.

Suggestions on steps to improve chances of salvaging drone?

2020-2-19
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

These are some great suggestions when in this situation. Something I just thought of would be an audible and visual beacon that would flash and beep when activated by the user in this event so you could at least have a better chance of recovering it in that moment. It could run off another internal battery separate from the main flight battery. Run time could easily be an hour or so.
2020-2-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2-19 10:20
These are some great suggestions when in this situation. Something I just thought of would be an audible and visual beacon that would flash and beep when activated by the user in this event so you could at least have a better chance of recovering it in that moment. It could run off another internal battery separate from the main flight battery. Run time could easily be an hour or so.

Those features already exist in GO 4's Find My Drone functionality -- I relied on the beeping sound especially to find my lost drone in heavy cover over rough, uneven ground. It even records the GPS coordinates and provides several map views. It's a real life-saver!

I'd add practicing using Find My Drone to the list, which is a great idea, BTW.
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The best thing you can do to improve chances of salvaging your drone are to think before you fly.
This is 500% more effective than anything you can do during a flight.

Learn from the mistakes of others and don't fly off downwind in a strong wind.
Don't plan a flight that would have you returning against a strong wind.
Understand the up high, the wind will be stronger.

If in doubt, send the drone up and try pushing against the wind to see how it affects your flight speed.
If fighting a headwind, don't leave the drone up there.
Get down fast to where the wind is less.
2020-2-19
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good post AND replys. Thanks.
2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-19 16:00

The best thing you can do to improve chances of salvaging your drone are to think before you fly.

All well and good.  But this thread is about: "When Drone isn't making it back - Give it up..."

"Following is opening suggestions for Goal of Recovering drone, vs. waving Bye-bye."

2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 18:30
All well and good.  But this thread is about: "When Drone isn't making it back - Give it up..."

"Following is opening suggestions for Goal of Recovering drone, vs. waving Bye-bye."

And like someone suggested, if you don't want to be waving bye-bye, the time to take action is before you launch.
It's not rocket science.
Read my post again and think about it.
It's very good advice.

2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-19 18:38
And like someone suggested, if you don't want to be waving bye-bye, the time to take action is before you launch.
It's not rocket science.

There are numerous threads on what to do before going to fly, pre-flight checks, post take-off checks, add-on tracking devices, and how to use GO-4 tracking (when it works).  Those are all well covered.

If you have suggestion to add to list, better way to word one of listed suggestion, change to actual suggestion, or even different order to steps in list, please do so.
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 19:31
There are numerous threads on what to do before going to fly, pre-flight checks, post take-off checks, add-on tracking devices, and how to use GO-4 tracking (when it works).  Those are all well covered.

If you have suggestion to add to list, better way to word one of listed suggestion, change to actual suggestion, or even different order to steps in list, please do so.

Most people reading this thread aren't already flying.
So it's quite appropriate to suggest that the most effective thing they can do when they go to fly, is to exercise some thought to prevent getting into a lose/lose situation that someone like me would end up having to analyse.
2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-19 19:35
Most people reading this thread aren't already flying.
So it's quite appropriate to suggest that the most effective thing they can do when they go to fly, is to exercise some thought to prevent getting into a lose/lose situation that someone like me would end up having to analyse.

Ehhhhhhhh, No.
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I just don't get it.
I make a big effort to use plain simple language to get my message across without confusion but it just doesn't work with you.
When I have to come back 2 or 3 times to explain the obvious it just gets clunky.

Despite your opinion to the contrary, most people reading this thread are sitting at their computer and not out flying their drone already.
2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-19 20:01
I just don't get it.
I make a big effort to use plain simple language to get my message across without confusion but it just doesn't work with you.

I don't get you.  Have made it very clear and obvious this thread was not about what you want to turn it into.  Thus I ...

Suggest you open yet another thread on:
Planning before going to fly, tomorrows weather, local regulations,
Safety equipment, tools, spare-parts, kitchen sink...
Checks to make before first flight, nearby airports notified, have copy of FAA license
Pre-flight checks
Post-lift off checks
2020-2-19
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, you are both right in your own way but neither one of you are getting any style points.   
2020-2-19
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Great and very helpful points.  These would definitely help pilots out, should this scenario happen again in the future.
2020-2-20
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
United States

That sounds really good.  I'm sure there may be some products out there that can be put on aftermarket, but to have that installed as an OEM feature would be most definitely welcome.
2020-2-20
Use props
James 0522
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191493 ft
United States

Read #8 from Hedgetrimmer.
2020-2-21
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good points from the OP.

You don't need to use Find my Drone if you are obeying the LAW. You know the one that says "Visual Line of Sight"?

I always test wind strength before flying too far away. Takeoff, fly to max altitude and if you get strong wind warnings, then land and take you drone home for another day.

Cheers
2020-2-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for creating this informative post and thank you for your valued support.
2020-2-21
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Labroides Posted at 2-19 18:38
It's not rocket science.

Yes think before you fly, you won! You are a "before fly thinker", congrats.  But stil,l if your drone isn't making back... any all aternatives are welcome... This thread is suposed to help "didn't think fefore fly" or when things didn't go as you expected....
2020-2-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Going to add one more Step.  Have used it before, but not for finding a drone.  However, I think it is still applicable.
2020-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bump, this thread needs it no activity at all.

Question, what happens if low battery kicks in surely drone will want to return home, it would make for a very interesting landing, operator pushing down drone pushing up LMAO ....

Imagine if preflight was done no need to do mid flight, when do you actually do the mid flight when drone is returning take out your list or maybe before flight, take out preflight throw it away and study mid flight .
Have it now .
2020-3-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 12:40
Bump, this thread needs it no activity at all.

Question, what happens if low battery kicks in surely drone will want to return home, it would make for a very interesting landing, operator pushing down drone pushing up LMAO ....

Speaking from poor experiences with several defective DJI Mavic Pro Ps, R.C.s, or CrystalSky UBs; problems can occur during a flight, that no amount of Pre-flight, take-off, and post take-off checking would turn up.

No idea what you mean by a mid-flight list?

Some (most?) of us don't need a printed out list for pre-flight, post-flight, and whatever mid-flight is.  Reading the list in opening post, thinking about list, discussing it, is enough.  Leave it up to indvidual drone pilots to decide if they want a hardcopy.

If you have a suggestion as to adding a step or chaning a step in opening post, please do post it.  

Keeping in mind:
  - Regardles of the why drone isn't making it back home, if drone is still  responding to pilot commands - It is time to give it up, and go for  salvage of drone.
  - Following is opening suggestions for Goal of Recovering drone, vs. waving Bye-bye.  DJI general does not cover missing drone claims.

PS: Thanks for the Bump (gave you an Upvote); perhaps one of steps on list will help a drone pilot; should they be unfortunate enoughg to find his/her self in such a lousy situation.

2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-5 17:02
Speaking from poor experiences with several defective DJI Mavic Pro Ps, R.C.s, or CrystalSky UBs; problems can occur during a flight, that no amount of Pre-flight, take-off, and post take-off checking would turn up.

No idea what you mean by a mid-flight list?

As I said what happens at low battery Rth when drone wants to Rth ?
Dji covers all drones that malfunction
2020-3-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2-21 03:52
Good points from the OP.

You don't need to use Find my Drone if you are obeying the LAW. You know the one that says "Visual Line of Sight"?

Depends on your terrain. I was flying LOS over very rough , uneven and overgrown terrain, so while I had a rough idea of where the AC went down, I might not have found it w/o Find My Drone's chirping functionality as it was in a gully underneath brush.
2020-3-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 17:07
As I said what happens at low battery Rth when drone wants to Rth ?
Dji covers all drones that malfunction

" As I said what happens at low battery Rth when drone wants to Rth ?"

Perhaps you should read your drone's manual...   

If you have a suggestion for a step to add or a step to be modified, pertaining to when drone isn't making it back, resulting in an increased chance of recover - suggest away.  

2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-5 20:26
" As I said what happens at low battery Rth when drone wants to Rth ?"

Perhaps you should read your drone's manual...   

Ok so you don’t know what will happen if drone goes into Rth mode when lowering it .
Maybe add do a preflight check .
2020-3-6
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2-21 03:52
Good points from the OP.

You don't need to use Find my Drone if you are obeying the LAW. You know the one that says "Visual Line of Sight"?

Regulations are there to minimize/mitigate any undesirable outcomes.  THOUGH, my Air has given me enough periods of concern while performing under proper and legal practices.  There are times when the drone simply may not function how you would want, which is why I clench up when I see drones flying over bodies of water.  I really want to fly more over water, but I simply don't trust it, even when I am flying within regs.
2020-3-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-6 02:43
Ok so you don’t know what will happen if drone goes into Rth mode when lowering it .
Maybe add do a preflight check .

As stated on several occasions, the point of this thread has nothing to do with prevention (aka pre-flight checks).  There have been plenty of threads here on pre-flight checks, along with numerous posts through out threads about RTM (Read the Manual), then RTM again.

Adding pre-flight checks or RTM to list is beating a dead horse.  Along with being to late, when it comes to steps or points in list at top.   

A better way to approach this would be to add list of steps at top to a UAV pilot's pre-flight list.  As in have you got your Emergency Cheat Sheet(s)?

Airplane pilots usually have Emergency scenario cards or sheets which list steps to take when scat hits the fan.  Scenarios like say: water landings, failed landing gear, minus an engine, or no engines.
2020-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules