2008 37 2020-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm interested to learn the experiences and views of any Mavic 2 owners who have also purchased the Mavic Mini. Does the Mini live up to your expectations or has it proven to be a disappointment ??
Having both a Mavic 2 and a Mini - which do you use the most and which is best fun ??

What are your views ??
2020-2-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members here in Forum. Thank you for your continued support!
2020-2-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-20 09:13
Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members here in Forum. Thank you for your continued support!

Thanks DJI Gamora
2020-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi Gelert
I suppose if your a bit queasy then reading some stuff around here won’t help.
But from my perspective, I have so far had no real problems with mini, I’ll spell out the good and not so good it might help.

1/ ease of use and convenience, it’s really excellent and encourages more flying, providing weather is suitable.
2/ Battery life, for this size drone it’s exceptional
3/ Video quality from small camera, I have to say it’s very good probably slightly too sharp, but colours are exceptional and although it doesn’t yet have WB control I have found that the whole warmth of the video somehow makes up for this, (in most situations)
4/ handling, it’s just like all dji drones very good, with one exception although it can handle winds of 20mph, I would recommend flying in winds no higher than 15mph to enjoy the experience.
5/ it’s €400 so expect less quality than M2 , but it’s built pretty good.
6/ and for me this is where it serves great purpose, you can bring anywhere it’s very inconspicuous, anything you see you might want to film or photograph you will because it’s just no hassle and unless your selling the footage you will be pleasantly surprised even coming from M2, it’s very responsive like all dji drones huge fun to fly something as small an fast as this and I would say great little second drone that won’t break the bank.

Somethings it lacks, more camera controls shutter speed, WB, ability to fly into strong winds IE over 20mph, it’s not overloaded with features, just got 4xquickshots, and cinematic mode (tripod).

To enjoy mini you really need to fly within or close to VLOS and if you do and fly in good conditions and good environment then it’s worth the money IMO .
I will end up using this more than M2, but will use M2 when I'm counting on getting good photography.
2020-2-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-20 09:44
Hi Gelert
I suppose if your a bit queasy then reading some stuff around here won’t help.
But from my perspective, I have so far had no real problems with mini, I’ll spell out the good and not so good it might help.

Many thanks Hallmark for taking the time for such a comprehensive reply

Always good to tap into "hands on " experience like yours.

I'm involved with a UK volunteer group that carries out SAR for lost dogs. Even though the Mavic 2 is quite compact, an ultra compact drone like the Mini, that can be easily carried whilst trudging across the countryside would be very beneficial. My main concern is the Mini's performance in windy weather.
How good is the Mini's camera at an altitude of 40 ~ 50 metres - would you be able to spot a small dog ??
2020-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gelert Posted at 2-20 09:56
Many thanks Hallmark for taking the time for such a comprehensive reply

Always good to tap into "hands on " experience like yours.

You know when I first got it I thought camera would not be so good, but I was so wrong, and actually it has two things going for it with SAR very sharp detail on camera from all heights and long life battery, but yes if your searching in wind, you either need to be very aware of how to fly in wind, IE use the wind to get your drone around and back to you or limit the wind condition you are going to fly in which might not be an option all the time .
2020-2-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-20 10:04
You know when I first got it I thought camera would not be so good, but I was so wrong, and actually it has two things going for it with SAR very sharp detail on camera from all heights and long life battery, but yes if your searching in wind, you either need to be very aware of how to fly in wind, IE use the wind to get your drone around and back to you or limit the wind condition you are going to fly in which might not be an option all the time .

2020-2-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic Mini.  I concur with all that Hallmark007 wrote.  The camera and gimbal on the Mavic Mini are top notch for a $400 US drone.  I am hoping that DJI will at least give us the ability to lock the White Balance in the next firmware update though.  

I find that I pull out the Mavic Mini many times when I would not bother with the Mavic 2 Pro or when the Mavic 2 Pro would need more time to charge batteries to get ready to fly.

The Mini does require a lot more attention in the wind and it is easy to lose sight of in the sky due to it's small size and color but sometimes that is a good thing if you don't want to draw attention to your drone.  People just don't seem to react to the Mini as much as the Mavic 2.  Perhaps it is the small size and toy looks.  

Yesterday afternoon I just had a couple of minutes during the golden hour and fired up the Mini for a quick flight to test my new ND filters.  It was about 30 minutes prior to sunset so I yawed over to the West to check out the colors.  Low and behold but there was a white dot directly over the Sun.  It turns out that Mercury was visible above the Sun.  I took a lot of shots with various exposures and am charging the Mavic 2 up for a flight this afternoon for some more shots.

If I didn't pull the Mini out last night for a quick flight I never would have realized that the shot was going to be available.

I am happy that I own both the Mavic 2 and the Mini.  I also think that my Mini flight time requires a bit more concentration and in the long run makes me a better pilot.  
Mavic Mini shot of planet Mercury above setting sun.  Freewell ND8 filter was used.

2020-2-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

BobWinNV Posted at 2-20 10:43
I own both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic Mini.  I concur with all that Hallmark007 wrote.  The camera and gimbal on the Mavic Mini are top notch for a $400 US drone.  I am hoping that DJI will at least give us the ability to lock the White Balance in the next firmware update though.  

I find that I pull out the Mavic Mini many times when I would not bother with the Mavic 2 Pro or when the Mavic 2 Pro would need more time to charge batteries to get ready to fly.

Awesome picture!
2020-2-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thank you InspektorGadjet.  I will try again this evening if/when FAA lifts the TFR that is currently keeping me grounded.
2020-2-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

BobWinNV Posted at 2-20 11:29
Thank you InspektorGadjet.  I will try again this evening if/when FAA lifts the TFR that is currently keeping me grounded.

I feel you, I was being overly cautious and decided to go and have a chat with the authorities within the area I live, there is a massive area considered Natural park, and there are certain restrictions to protect birds.

The guy who manages this has absolutely no clue on drones, law and the mavic mini... guess what, I´m grounded too until he finds out what to tell me... I dont want to post a video on YouTube and get a fine... People here are that bored...
2020-2-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-20 11:36
I feel you, I was being overly cautious and decided to go and have a chat with the authorities within the area I live, there is a massive area considered Natural park, and there are certain restrictions to protect birds.

The guy who manages this has absolutely no clue on drones, law and the mavic mini... guess what, I´m grounded too until he finds out what to tell me... I dont want to post a video on YouTube and get a fine... People here are that bored...

Ouch!  At least mine is only temporary until later today.  Sorry to hear that you are at the mercy of the authorities and their slow response to things.
2020-2-20
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

I own a M2Pro and purchased a Mini about 3 weeks ago.  Although I've only had limited flying time with the MM, it has met all of my expectations and maybe even exceeded them in a couple of areas.  I agree with the other members' assessments and my experience has been the same.  Prior to my purchase, I did read many of these forum discussions and had a very good understanding of the Mini's strengths and weaknesses and things to watch out for such as high winds.   Do I wish it had more functions/performance?  Of course I do but I went into the purchase knowing its design and specification and just like many technology based purchases, it's a compromise of size/weight/price/performance/features.  

I primarily purchased the MM for global travel.  My next trip is in March where I will be taking a 3 week trip to New Zealand and the Mini will be getting a good workout there.    I travel with a MILC, 2-3 lenses, flash, tripod, etc. so the Mini is perfect in helping me limit weight and bulk but giving me a drone option.  Also, if I have a mishap with the Mini while traveling, the loss will be less than the M2P.   All in all the MM has been a lot of fun and may become my go to drone over time.
2020-2-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Occams Razor Posted at 2-20 12:35
I own a M2Pro and purchased a Mini about 3 weeks ago.  Although I've only had limited flying time with the MM, it has met all of my expectations and maybe even exceeded them in a couple of areas.  I agree with the other members' assessments and my experience has been the same.  Prior to my purchase, I did read many of these forum discussions and had a very good understanding of the Mini's strengths and weaknesses and things to watch out for such as high winds.   Do I wish it had more functions/performance?  Of course I do but I went into the purchase knowing its design and specification and just like many technology based purchases, it's a compromise of size/weight/price/performance/features.  

I primarily purchased the MM for global travel.  My next trip is in March where I will be taking a 3 week trip to New Zealand and the Mini will be getting a good workout there.    I travel with a MILC, 2-3 lenses, flash, tripod, etc. so the Mini is perfect in helping me limit weight and bulk but giving me a drone option.  Also, if I have a mishap with the Mini while traveling, the loss will be less than the M2P.   All in all the MM has been a lot of fun and may become my go to drone over time.

Many thanks for your input
2020-2-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 2-20 10:43
I own both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic Mini.  I concur with all that Hallmark007 wrote.  The camera and gimbal on the Mavic Mini are top notch for a $400 US drone.  I am hoping that DJI will at least give us the ability to lock the White Balance in the next firmware update though.  

Many thanks for your input Bob - fabulous shot too - stunning
2020-2-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with much of what has been said.  I'll keep it short here, but basically the Mini is my "impromptu" drone that is basically either in my car or my backpack with me most of the time and gets used because it is the drone that is with me and is ready to go.  My M2P is the drone I take when I know I am going to be flying and have planned to do so.

The biggest factor from holding me back on flying the Mini is the wind.  This time of year, the winds is quite frequently at the Mini's safety threshold.  If it handled the wind a bit better, it would honestly get flown quite a bit more.  The M2P on the other hand handles wind like a champ.  I usually don't even think twice about sending it up in a stiff wind.

Of course the M2P is better than the Mini in pretty much every way, but that is to be expected due to the price points and marketing decisions they've made.  I completely understand that the Mini is their entry level drone, with a price to match, but I really wish they would just integrate a few more "little" software features that would really take it from a good little drone to an unbelievable drone for its price.  Little things like manual mode & fixed white balance in video mode, panorama & AEB in photo mode, and the ability to change the expo/gain for the sticks.  
2020-2-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2-20 14:33
I agree with much of what has been said.  I'll keep it short here, but basically the Mini is my "impromptu" drone that is basically either in my car or my backpack with me most of the time and gets used because it is the drone that is with me and is ready to go.  My M2P is the drone I take when I know I am going to be flying and have planned to do so.

The biggest factor from holding me back on flying the Mini is the wind.  This time of year, the winds is quite frequently at the Mini's safety threshold.  If it handled the wind a bit better, it would honestly get flown quite a bit more.  The M2P on the other hand handles wind like a champ.  I usually don't even think twice about sending it up in a stiff wind.

Yes, adjustments to YAW would be really helpful.
2020-2-20
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

For me... it's my first drone, and i got the fly more combo with 3 batteries...
currently logged 82 flights with MM...

1) easy to pack and bring it around because of it's small size
2) very easy to learn to fly it, just that need to be extra cautious flying near stuff because there's no obstacle avoidance sensor
3) need to take note on wind condition before flying
4) for an entry drone, camera function is surpirisngly amazing with manual control, can get quite much using lightroom from the 12mp sensor, if only it can take raw images
5) video function is limited because cant control the white balance
6) flight time is amazing for this price and size i think.. at least can fly 20mins, and 20mins can produce plenty of footage
7) batteries charges relatively fast with the provided fast charge chrager
8) just that it only has wifi, so signal can be a abit spotty at times
9) gimbal is very stable during mediocre winds, not bad

if i have the chance i might upgrade to mavic pro 2, but for now i'm very happy with this "tiny toy drone"
2020-2-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 2-20 14:33

The biggest factor from holding me back on flying the Mini is the wind.  This time of year, the winds is quite frequently at the Mini's safety threshold.  If it handled the wind a bit better, it would honestly get flown quite a bit more.  The M2P on the other hand handles wind like a champ.  I usually don't even think twice about sending it up in a stiff wind.

Thanks KG - some great points you've made there especially impromptu flying versus planned flying  
2020-2-20
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jim_H Posted at 2-20 18:58
For me... it's my first drone, and i got the fly more combo with 3 batteries...
currently logged 82 flights with MM...

Thanks for your input Jim - much appreciated
2020-2-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 2-20 15:31
Yes, adjustments to YAW would be really helpful.

Yep, yaw is the most important one!  It is the hardest one for me to get smooth with the Mini since I've got them turned down on my other drones.
2020-2-21
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

As much as I like the idea and poetry of @BobWinNV  I am afraid that was a reflection of a bounced refracted light to which probably the filter itself concurred. The proportions are all wrong for a MM camera to portray Mercury as big as that one compared to the whole frame and the sun.

I am also wondering where (approx.) in the US that picture was captured but despite this... the line up was real and coincides proportionally lengthwise between bodies to a large observation window in the US, but I still cannot get over about the disproportion, unless I am referring to an obvious flare spot and ignoring a faint little dot that I haven't noticed yet.
2020-2-21
Use props
Moto_919
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219439 ft
United States

m80116 Posted at 2-21 16:16
As much as I like the idea and poetry of @BobWinNV  I am afraid that was a reflection of a bounced refracted light to which probably the filter itself concurred. The proportions are all wrong for a MM camera to portray Mercury as big as that one compared to the whole frame and the sun.

I am also wondering where (approx.) in the US that picture was captured but despite this... the line up was real and coincides proportionally lengthwise between bodies to a large observation window in the US, but I still cannot get over about the disproportion, unless I am referring to an obvious flare spot and ignoring a faint little dot that I haven't noticed yet.

I was just about to comment on that myself. That is definitely a lens flare from the filter.
2020-2-21
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Occams Razor Posted at 2-20 12:35
I own a M2Pro and purchased a Mini about 3 weeks ago.  Although I've only had limited flying time with the MM, it has met all of my expectations and maybe even exceeded them in a couple of areas.  I agree with the other members' assessments and my experience has been the same.  Prior to my purchase, I did read many of these forum discussions and had a very good understanding of the Mini's strengths and weaknesses and things to watch out for such as high winds.   Do I wish it had more functions/performance?  Of course I do but I went into the purchase knowing its design and specification and just like many technology based purchases, it's a compromise of size/weight/price/performance/features.  

New Zealand! My home :-)

Where are you planning to go? So many cool places. Biggest restriction in NZ is National Parks but you can get permission (if you pay) to fly in some of them... it's all online.

You can use the Airshare App to figure out where you can fly and what's required.

I have the Mini too and just love it. Great how you can throw all your camera gear, the mini with batteries etc and hiking gear into your back pack.

Have a great trip in NZ :-)

2020-2-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Moto_919 Posted at 2-21 17:21
I was just about to comment on that myself. That is definitely a lens flare from the filter.

When I first saw what turned out to be Mercury I thought it was a lens flare as well so I moved the drone and gimbal several time and the dot stayed in the same position relative to the Sun.  After the flight I checked the Sky Guide app to verify what I was looking at and here is that screen snap.  Magnitude was 2.1  Location was at North Las Vegas, NV

2020-2-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

m80116 Posted at 2-21 16:16
As much as I like the idea and poetry of @BobWinNV  I am afraid that was a reflection of a bounced refracted light to which probably the filter itself concurred. The proportions are all wrong for a MM camera to portray Mercury as big as that one compared to the whole frame and the sun.

When I first spotted it I thought the same and moved the gimbal with no change in the relative location of Mercury to the Sun.  I am in North Las Vegas.  I have included a Sky Guide app screen snap depicting the sky in that area at the time of my flight.  See post above.  Time of photo was 16:49 PST and I took quite a few photos (about 30 minutes befoe sunset).  
Here is a Sky Guide screen snap from exactly the same time as the photo was taken (16:48:49 PST)

IMG_2159.jpg
2020-2-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

As you can see all the drones I have owned +the inspire 1 that doesn't show up, I just don't have the urge to buy the MM just yet and maybe never will.  I decided that I won't buy any DJI drones that is not an ocusync connetion or better.  Just my 2cents.
2020-2-22
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Thanks @BobWinNV. I've verified with Stellarium software.

I won't argue because I like your picture

I WANT TO BELIEVE
2020-2-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

m80116 Posted at 2-22 15:53
Thanks @BobWinNV. I've verified with Stellarium software.

I won't argue because I like your picture

I feel the same.  I think I was just in the right spot at the right time.  I guess it was even more visible earlier in the month but I can't see it now anymore.  I will have to start looking at sunset/sunrise with the Sky Guide app for possible planet shots in the future.  That time was just blind luck.  When I saw it on my screen my first thought was a flare but then I moved the gimbal and changed altitude and it was still relative to the Suns location so I researched what it might be after the flight and saw that Mercury was right where I was seeing it.   Good story if nothing else.
2020-2-22
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 2-22 14:57
As you can see all the drones I have owned +the inspire 1 that doesn't show up, I just don't have the urge to buy the MM just yet and maybe never will.  I decided that I won't buy any DJI drones that is not an ocusync connetion or better.  Just my 2cents.

Many thanks for your input Lucas - a very valid point
2020-2-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gelert Posted at 2-22 23:56
Many thanks for your input Lucas - a very valid point

Hopefully that helped a bit.
2020-2-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Gelert Posted at 2-20 09:24
Thanks DJI Gamora

You are always welcome!
2020-2-24
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 2-22 14:57

Yes, its biggest downfall.
2020-2-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

*DM* Posted at 2-25 00:58
Yes, its biggest downfall.

Wifi connection can be good if you live out in the middle of nowhere.
2020-2-25
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

Bussty Posted at 2-21 20:45
New Zealand! My home :-)

Where are you planning to go? So many cool places. Biggest restriction in NZ is National Parks but you can get permission (if you pay) to fly in some of them... it's all online.

Thank you for the greeting!  In addition to the National Parks, I saw that there are many military related NFZ so I am anticipating that my flying time will be somewhat limited but that is the same in Southern California so I'm used to it.

We will be flying into Auckland and then a second flight down to Dunedin.   We will be visiting Te Anau, Doubtful Sound, Queenstown, Wanaka, Franz Joseph, Greymouth, Christchurch, Rotorua, Taupo, Waitomo and back to Auckland to fly home.  We are very excited to visit your beautiful country.  Hope the weather is good.
2020-2-26
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Even compared to Mavic Pro, I'm disappointed! I bought a Mavic Mini only because of the weight, and also its plus is the price.

But even more disappointing was the replacement of the excellent DJI Go4 program with the shabby DJi Fly!
2020-2-26
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 2-26 07:41
Even compared to Mavic Pro, I'm disappointed! I bought a Mavic Mini only because of the weight, and also its plus is the price.

But even more disappointing was the replacement of the excellent DJI Go4 program with the shabby DJi Fly!

What problems have you have with the DJI Fly app ??
2020-2-26
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=208023
+There is no support for 32bit.

Many have had to change their smartphone / tablet for an entry-level drone, while semi-and professional-level drones are still working normally with these smartphones / tablets.
2020-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules