hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Secrets Behind Mavic Mini: Creating the Everyday FlyCamBy
DJI -

2020-02-18

Join us as we take an exclusive look at the technology and research behind Mavic Mini and gain some insights from the R&D team that have been pulling the strings behind the scenes.
Inside the DJI forge of technological innovation, engineers expertly crafted the smallest and lightest drone the company has ever made. Since its launch last year,Mavic Mini has continued to make waves in the drone industry, capturing the attention of tech enthusiasts all across the world. DJI Guides caught up with the engineers behind this project to give our readers insider knowledge about the Everyday FlyCam.
Mavic Mini: Where Did It All Begin?
Back in 2016, aerial photography was continuing to emerge as a new, independent form of photography. Drones were larger and heavier, which naturally created the demand for lighter mini drones that could be easily carried around. Users dreamed about a compact, portable drone that would offer excellent camera performance. We listened to the ideas and suggestions of all those dreamers, and that is how the story began.
The Evolution of Mini Drones
Reducing the size of a drone is no easy task considering that many components need to be compensated for, which has typically affected the camera performance of mini drones.
With lighter drones, propulsion systems have more work to do to stabilize the drone in strong winds. Previous mini drones on the market have sported shortened propellers, smaller frames, and simple propulsion systems, which affected the flight performance in windy conditions.
In the past, to reduce the weight of drones, GPS and vision sensors were not incorporated into the drone. The requirement for a lightweight drone had simply taken its toll on drone flight performance. Smaller frames meant there was also less space for batteries, which could not support more advanced, powerful propulsion systems. Camera performance was also affected, with many drones on the market supporting average camera sensors and systems in order to satisfy the weight constraints.
What Makes Mavic Mini Special?
Focusing on portability, reliability, and camera performance, our engineers began developing a drone that optimized both performance and a lightweight design.
Mavic Mini is the smallest and lightest drone we have ever made. It also features a powerful 3-axis gimbal camera, a max transmission range up to 4 km, and a max flight time up to 30 min, a leap in performance compared to previous mini drones on the market.
Years of Pioneering Research
Mavic Mini was the result of years of experience accumulated in the drone industry. We first introduced our patented, foldable design for the Mavic series, and this foldable design became a standout feature for modern-day drones.
Mavic Mini is smaller than Mavic Air, which means that even after our engineers incorporated the foldable design, a more efficient system had to be built to compensate for a smaller battery and motors. With this in mind, engineers battled on and came up with a plan to improve the thrust weight-ratio, aerial electronic system power, and propulsion system efficiency.
Thrust-Weight Ratio
This describes the relationship between the thrust and weight of an aircraft, which is indicative of the aircraft performance. The dimensionless ratio is proportional to the maximum thrust and inversely proportional to the weight. Therefore, in order to increase the wind resistance of Mavic Mini, engineers had to either increase the thrust or reduce the weight. Increasing thrust results in a larger drone form factor, which created the need to come up with innovative ways to reduce drone weight.
Propulsion System Efficiency
This efficacy index determines how effective the drone’s motors and propellers are. In simpler terms, higher efficiency propulsion systems result in less power consumption, which gives a longer flight time. Our engineers created a system that cleverly utilized as much power from the battery and motors while still focusing on high propulsion principles.
Aerial Electronic System Power
Excluding the power of the battery, the aerial electronic system power refers to the power of the entire electronic system. System power was optimized to ensure longer flight times.
Milligram-Level Weight Control
So, how exactly did our engineers increase the thrust-weight ratio and reduce the drone weight?
Starting from the design, engineers did everything they could to control the weight of the drone. From utilizing low-density materials to controlling the weight down to a milligram, extensive testing was done to ensure optimum performance.
How light is a milligram? Well, a grain of rice weighs between 5-10 mg, and engineers worked diligently with these incredibly small tolerance measures. When it comes to mass production, we also pushed the limits of drone manufacturing.
To put this all into context, the weight of a microSD card is around 0.25 g, and this was the level of detail that was being implemented. Under rigorous weight control measures, engineers inspected every part of the drone meticulously to ensure they could pull off this truly groundbreaking feat.
First Fanless Camera Drone DJI Has Ever Made
Mavic Mini is the first fanless camera drone we have ever created, setting a precedent for future mini drones. But why did we opt for a fanless drone?
Considering that a group of drone fans weigh around 10 g, this kind of feature has a huge impact on the weight of the drone. The fanless design reduces power consumption and provides more space for a higher-capacity battery.
However, our engineers soon stumbled upon another challenge. Fans are required for heat dissipation, so how could they cool the drone while still reducing weight? After conducting several aerodynamic tests, engineers redesigned the cooling system and attempted to provide effective heat dissipation from the drone propellers themselves.
When the drone is hovering, the inverted airflow generated by the propellers is blown to the heat sink at the bottom of the drone. The inlet and outlet air ducts also achieve a cooling effect equivalent to that of a fan. When the aircraft is flying forward, air will be blown into the channels behind the gimbal and dissipate heat together with airflows generated by the propellers.
Ultimate Optimization
As we fly through the Mavic Mini story, at this stage, engineers had optimized the thrust-weight ratio, propulsion system, electronic system, and created a fanless design. But there were still pieces missing in the puzzle. How could the efficiency of the power system be improved without changing the power consumption?
The answer is quite simple. Propellers not only dissipate heat but can also be aerodynamically optimized to increase flight efficiency. With this in mind, the propellers were redesigned using intelligent optimization tests and algorithms. Aerodynamic engineers carefully crafted a set of optimized propellers that best utilized motor power.
The research continued on with electrical engineers attempting to achieve the ultimate balance between motor power and consumption. The R&D team redesigned the brushless motors, changed the magnetic coil inside, and analyzed power consumption using our thorough motor algorithm.
After pioneering research and development, our engineers managed to create a mini drone with a 30-minute battery life while still delivering outstanding video and photo capabilities.
Research Beyond the Lab
The data acquired from the laboratory is just the beginning of the Mavic Mini story. The team brought Mavic Mini out of the lab and tested it in various operating conditions. From 3000 meters above sea level to high-level winds and sub-zero temperatures, Mavic Mini was tested in many types of environments to improve the performance and flight stability.
Mavic Mini is the result of years of research, engineering knowledge, and innovation. In creating Mavic Mini, our engineers combined the needs of the drone market to redefine the possibilities for modern-day drones and everyday flyers. And now, with 2.7K quad HD video, up to 30-mins flight time, and more, the possibilities lay in your hands.

2020-2-21
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

wow!

GREAT post!

Thanks for all of this.

Honestly, I can't wait to see what DJI does next.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-21
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

Maybe implement the obstacle sensitivity of Skydio 2
2020-2-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent review
2020-2-21
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Good info there!
2020-2-21
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

The Mini may need some fine tuning in places but overall it is an engineering marvel.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Occams Razor Posted at 2-21 09:33
The Mini may need some fine tuning in places but overall it is an engineering marvel.  Thanks for sharing.

I think when you see FW updates with headings optimizations and propulsion improved, you’ll know that update is large and will really show big improvements and I think this is needed, I’m lucky with almost no problems but some still having real problems .
2020-2-21
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing this informative information. Much appreciated.
2020-2-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day hallmark007. Thank you for reaching out and for creating post for the DJI Mavic Mini. These information are great and thank you for your valued support. .
2020-2-21
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2020-2-21
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah right, Thanks for the copy & paste from https://store.dji.com/guides/author/djistorecontent/

2020-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PhantomPhil Posted at 2-21 12:29
Yeah right, Thanks for the copy & paste from https://store.dji.com/guides/author/djistorecontent/

I think if you bothered to read the article you and everyone else would be in no doubt where it came from, it needs no introduction, maybe you have something to add here ;+)::::
2020-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Renato61 Posted at 2-21 07:18
Maybe implement the obstacle sensitivity of Skydio 2

And that's where the solely educational purpose of this publication goes down the drain ... Why, I hope you're going to ask? Because adding a powerful onboard computer to MM will introduce countless technical problems to solve, impossible to achieve with basic concept of 250g drone at this moment of technology progress ...
2020-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

A J Posted at 2-21 07:47
Excellent review

It's not a review, it is a DJI's publication. Very much needed, actually ...
2020-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

David Martin Graff Posted at 2-21 10:52
Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!

What is nicely done? Would you kindly elaborate, please?
2020-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

PhantomPhil Posted at 2-21 12:29

Indeed. I probably wouldn't read this publication if not OP effort to share ...
2020-2-21
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-21 13:02
What is nicely done? Would you kindly elaborate, please?

I can't speak for David but for me what was nicely done was that it surfaced a document that I had not seen yet that gave me some insight into my AC.

Don't really care that it was a DJI article,. I had my suspicions, it was written form the DJI PoV.

Still, all in all it was informative.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cal Evans Posted at 2-21 13:06
I can't speak for David but for me what was nicely done was that it surfaced a document that I had not seen yet that gave me some insight into my AC.

Don't really care that it was a DJI article,. I had my suspicions, it was written form the DJI PoV.  

My point is that evident shortcomings of MM are puzzling many newcomers to this exciting hobby. While some improvements can and will be done with future FW upgrades, many other simply can not. This publication attempts to explain why ...
2020-2-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-21 13:27
My point is that evident shortcomings of MM are puzzling many newcomers to this exciting hobby. While some improvements can and will be done with future FW upgrades, many other simply can not. This publication attempts to explain why ...

When factoring in reasonable cost of Mavic Mini, the shortcomings are pretty minimal.  DJI marketing is where expectations were set to high, leading to people to see shortcomings.

Mavic Mini's shortcoming is it's limitation to handle average wind speeds, through out world.  But that goes back to DJI marketing Mavic Mini like it was capable as more expensive Mavic Pro or Mavic 2.

DJI does need to get the ESC insufficent power problem(s) sorted out, because it is a real shortcoming.   

Do understand Mavic Mini owners wanting ability to Lock White  Balance for video.  But for price of Mavic Mini, that is more of wish  item.  

Perhaps, it should be a paid upgrade? Like a one camera company is doing for RAW data from sensor, for use with special video device.

2020-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose considering it’s already been announced that mini will get camera controls in next update in March owners can take it of their wishlist . Most people use their drones for photography and considering mini has a better camera than a Mavic pro expecting more controls is pretty realistic.
2020-2-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great review!
2020-2-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice work 007, Very informative
2020-2-21
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

I thought it was this guy!

2020-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2-21 15:37
I suppose considering it’s already been announced that mini will get camera controls in next update in March owners can take it of their wishlist . Most people use their drones for photography and considering mini has a better camera than a Mavic pro expecting more controls is pretty realistic.

Whoa, hold your horses, bro! Announced? I will hardly call this snapshot posted somewhere else as announcement. Not that it will not happen, but don't be too sure. We've seen official DJI's announcements/promises that never materialized ...

Secondly, better than Mavic Pro camera? I what aspect, if you don't mind to be specific?
2020-2-21
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting read, thank you
2020-2-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for reminding us about it and posting it here.
2020-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-21 18:42
Whoa, hold your horses, bro! Announced? I will hardly call this snapshot posted somewhere else as announcement. Not that it will not happen, but don't be too sure. We've seen official DJI's announcements/promises that never materialized  ...

Secondly, better than Mavic Pro camera? I what aspect, if you don't mind to be specific?

I own a Mavic pro and I can say certainly for me both cameras in auto mode picture quality from mini is much better same size sensor and I believe colour science is far better Mavic pro is now 4 years old in the camera world that’s nearly ready for the shelf .
2020-2-22
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-21 12:35
I think if you bothered to read the article you and everyone else would be in no doubt where it came from, it needs no introduction, maybe you have something to add here ;+)::::

What makes you think i didn't read the article? From the remarks from posters It seems incredible that others that read it could think you were the author. "Wow, great post", "Thank you for reaching out and for creating post", "Nicely done", "Great review", "Nice work 007, Very informative". Seems obvious an introduction would have been helpful rather than accepting credit for work that isn't yours - maybe that was your intention.

I could add here ;+):::: that the mini is marketed as a beginners drone yet to fly the thing usefully you really need to be quite experienced to realise its limitations - otherwise its an expensive toy that is doomed to end in the trash.
2020-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PhantomPhil Posted at 2-22 08:53
What makes you think i didn't read the article? From the remarks from posters It seems incredible that others that read it could think you were the author. "Wow, great post", "Thank you for reaching out and for creating post", "Nicely done", "Great review", "Nice work 007, Very informative". Seems obvious an introduction would have been helpful rather than accepting credit for work that isn't yours - maybe that was your intention.

I could add here ;+):::: that the mini is marketed as a beginners drone yet to fly the thing usefully you really need to be quite experienced to realise its limitations - otherwise its an expensive toy that is doomed to end in the trash.

Well I think it was pretty clear to the poster you directed your comment at, and he clearly explained he was fully aware where article came from.

What makes me think you didn’t read the article.

Because it would have been obvious to the most illiterate that the article came from dji, but you insulted everyone that commented as if to say they couldn’t figure it out for themselves.

I could add here that it’s pretty obvious that you fly very little so maybe it’s a toy your looking for, or maybe go flying and quit trying to be the forum police .
2020-2-22
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Not sure why some users here are so nasty and harsh, I didn't see the article before, read the whole thing here and actually enjoyed it a lot, so thanks for sharing it hallmark007.

I also understood straight away this was an article coming from somewhere else, I myself have posted here threads either coming from wikipedia, other website or even videos that are not mine but found them very interesting and useful for me and maybe other users.

Back to the content, when I first got the mini I was skeptical due to early YouTube reviews telling it was a toy, very badly built or just flimsy... when I received mine I was blown away... a true engineering masterpiece.

After they add some extra camera control and improve some flying behaviors this will be a very serious and useful tool that takes no space, flying for long times and delivers awesome pictures and video
2020-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-22 09:58
Not sure why some users here are so nasty and harsh, I didn't see the article before, read the whole thing here and actually enjoyed it a lot, so thanks for sharing it hallmark007.

I also understood straight away this was an article coming from somewhere else, I myself have posted here threads either coming from wikipedia, other website or even videos that are not mine but found them very interesting and useful for me and maybe other users.

I think you’ll find phantom pill is well known for adding nothing but quips that help no one, I posted for the simple reason I know that not all forum users subscribe to this medium, and I know it’s of interest to those owners of mini .
2020-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-22 09:58

Yeah I have to say way back when I got my first dji drone I was amazed at the tech and how good it was, it looks like camera controls will come with next update, I have a feeling we will get update for app followed shortly by FW update, hopefully plenty of fixes and some good manual camera controls.
2020-2-22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-21 13:01
It's not a review, it is a DJI's publication. Very much needed, actually ...

When a third party recites information from a publication they are essentially reviewing it. Hence, I appreciate Hallmarks effort in his review of the publication. So this is Hallmark's review, actually...  
2020-2-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

A J Posted at 2-22 10:33
When a third party recites information from a publication they are essentially reviewing it. Hence, I appreciate Hallmarks effort in his review of the publication. So this is Hallmark's review, actually...

Semantics aside, OP simply copied the content of this (apparently advertising) DJI's publication without any comment on his side. It was obvious to me that this is not his piece. True, he'll avoid any confusion by
stating the source clearly, but this is not good enough reason to ridicule his effort(s) ...
2020-2-22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-22 11:12
Semantics aside, OP simply copied the content of this (apparently advertising) DJI's publication without any comment on his side. It was obvious to me that this is not his piece. True, he'll avoid any confusion by
stating the source clearly, but this is not good enough reason to ridicule his effort(s) ...

I think the people who has expressed positive comments of appreciation (such as myself) are aware that the origins of the post are taken from original sources without the need of HM007 having to state the obvious. For me, this is an excellent review on his part and very much appreciated as I missed the publication. Some people need to chill out a bit. It's a drone forum, not the Financial Times!
2020-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-22 11:12
Semantics aside, OP simply copied the content of this (apparently advertising) DJI's publication without any comment on his side. It was obvious to me that this is not his piece. True, he'll avoid any confusion by

I think I need only look for a very short time on this forum and I can point to tens of twenty you tube videos posted by members with no explanation as to who created them or any other information about them.
I can also say I have posted hundreds of posts and videos created by myself but they never contained details as to whether I created them or I found them lying around on the street ;+):::: .

I think it was a deliberate dig at me without cause reason or anything else .
2020-2-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2-22 11:25
I think I need only look for a very short time on this forum and I can point to tens of twenty you tube videos posted by members with no explanation as to who created them or any other information about them.
I can also say I have posted hundreds of posts and videos created by myself but they never contained details as to whether I created them or I found them lying around on the street ;+):::: .

Let's go ahead without this fruitless debate ... The bottom line is that this article is very informative, explaining a lot of issues from behind-the-scenes during creation of this amazing but very specific piece of technology. Issues many newbies should be aware of before purchase, pointless to say ...
2020-2-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-22 12:28
Let's go ahead with this fruitless debate ... The bottom line is that this article is very informative, explaining a lot of issues from behind-the-scenes during creation of this amazing but very specific piece of technology. Issues many newbies should be aware of before purchase, pointless to say ...

Homage to Matt.

“Wise men are not pacifists; they are merely less likely to jump up and retaliate against their antagonizers. They know that needless antagonizers are virtually already insecure enough.”
― Criss Jami, Killosophy
2020-2-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting this Hallmark007.  I had never read it before.
2020-2-22
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-22 12:33
Homage to Matt.

“Wise men are not pacifists; they are merely less likely to jump up and retaliate against their antagonizers. They know that needless antagonizers are virtually already insecure enough.”

Wow, In one sentence you can commit double irony. Nicely done.

Ahh, it was so peaceful last week noting all your posts had been deleted - how you do that? ... but now you're back lets see something original. BTW enjoy flying your beginners mini toy...only the Irish could believe a downgrade is an upgrade!!
2020-2-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules