Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic mini flying without internet connection
38891 37 2020-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ralle
First Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

Can the Mavic Mini fly without an internet connection? If there is an internet connection, can mobile data be turned off?
I'm asking because I'm going to pick up another phone just for flying .
I will download the DJI Fly app and updates there. But can you then remove the sim card and fly?
2020-2-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ralle. Thank for reaching out and for the inquiry. During the actual flight of your DJI Mavic Mini it is best and it is recommended to put your mobile device to airplane mode to minimize interference from calls and text. Thank you.
2020-2-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly without a sim card all the time.
2020-2-21
Use props
noonie167
lvl.1

United States

BobWinNV Posted at 2-21 15:28
I fly without a sim card all the time.

So that means it's the same as having an unlocked compatible phone with no service?
2020-2-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

noonie167 Posted at 2-21 16:02
So that means it's the same as having an unlocked compatible phone with no service?

I use an iPhone 7+ and an iPad mini 5 and neither of them have sim cards.
2020-2-21
Use props
lifeisfun
Second Officer
Canada

I got Galaxy Note 8 and  Tab A both without any network connection (No SIM inserted). Works fine
2020-2-21
Use props
noonie167
lvl.1

United States

Excellent. My Moto Play was a no go, my Oppo F9 was a no go. Now I'm buying a iphone 6 unlocked, just for the Mini. Yay! (comical sarcasm intended).
2020-2-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

My iPad mini is wifi only. So yes
2020-2-21
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think it matters if the phone is unlocked or not with no sim card. Mine certainly is not unlocked and has no sim card. I say this only because most are more expensive if unlocked.
2020-2-21
Use props
Luka_BiH_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 853110 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

You only need internet to load map data ( but you can fly without it) Sim card is not required. You can use your primary phone to share internet (hotsopt) to load map after takeoff (just tap on map and zoom out over area you plan to fly over, close map ) and you can disable hotspot. I always load map and than use airplane mode becuse better signal and I don't want calls to annoy me while flying
2020-2-22
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
First Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly right
2020-2-22
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

The only time where a connection is required is for activation of the Mavic Mini.

You can completely work offline and you should turn off the Wi-Fi in the devices you use. Not only the Mavic Mini works beautifully w/out an Internet connection but even the map in the bottom left part of the screen remains loaded with significant details and you can count on it to bring your drone back to your position should you lose orientation or visual cue points.
2020-2-22
Use props
Ralle
First Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

Thanks for the answers, they helped!!
2020-2-22
Use props
noonie167
lvl.1

United States

Luka_BiH_ Posted at 2-22 00:44
You only need internet to load map data ( but you can fly without it) Sim card is not required. You can use your primary phone to share internet (hotsopt) to load map after takeoff (just tap on map and zoom out over area you plan to fly over, close map ) and you can disable hotspot. I always load map and than use airplane mode becuse better signal and I don't want calls to annoy me while flying

Excellent, thanks for the tips.
2020-2-22
Use props
AE1M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 148428 ft
United States

I fly with an iphone7+ I bought on wBay with no SIM.  I fly with it tethered to my regular phone by Bluetooth so I can have the Google Map in the bottom left window when flying.  works fine.
2020-2-25
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11119 ft

Hello everyone

Okay you don't need internet connection to fly -> Ok!
BUT, if you change places with your car, your drone in the trunk, wisely off, in a region that you have NEVER "visited" ... can you then take off , or are you not limited in flight distances without connection?
Can you fly normally in a region unknown to the system?
2020-2-25
Use props
djiuser_p2Nfa5cU46Mz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192900 ft
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 2-21 16:12
I use an iPhone 7+ and an iPad mini 5 and neither of them have sim cards.

So with your Ipad mini 5 on wifi only with the Mavic Air 2, how is the range and reliability?  Ive flown short distances and have no problem seeing drone location on map.
2020-8-10
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any DJI drones can fly without the use of the internet.
2020-8-10
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_p2Nfa5cU46Mz Posted at 8-10 15:29
So with your Ipad mini 5 on wifi only with the Mavic Air 2, how is the range and reliability?  Ive flown short distances and have no problem seeing drone location on map.

So with your Ipad mini 5 on wifi only with the Mavic Air 2, how is the range and reliability?
Whether your tablet has internet data or not makes no difference to range or reliability.
2020-8-10
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

I never had to use the internet to fly my drones, in fact I use airplane mode to avoid unwanted internal processes
2020-8-10
Use props
Aventuras
New

United States

I have tried flying at two different locations with limited  or no cell service and the drone does not connect to the phone and I cannot see the camera. it is so sad since I have called DJI for support and told me that it was electrical interference in the mountains.
2020-9-28
Use props
Aventuras
New

United States

m80116 Posted at 2-22 03:09
The only time where a connection is required is for activation of the Mavic Mini.

You can completely work offline and you should turn off the Wi-Fi in the devices you use. Not only the Mavic Mini works beautifully w/out an Internet connection but even the map in the bottom left part of the screen remains loaded with significant details and you can count on it to bring your drone back to your position should you lose orientation or visual cue points.

from DJI Support:

Can you fly Mavic mini without cell service?
Yes, you may use only the remote controller of the DJI Mavic Mini when flying the drone. It will fly just fine without a mobile device attached, but you won't have access to the intelligent flight modes though as they need the DJI Fly application
2020-9-28
Use props
videoeditman
Captain
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Aventuras Posted at 9-28 12:23
I have tried flying at two different locations with limited  or no cell service and the drone does not connect to the phone and I cannot see the camera. it is so sad since I have called DJI for support and told me that it was electrical interference in the mountains.

You can also fly with the phone attached to the controller, the cable establishes your link not wifi or data.
2020-9-28
Use props
vortex19
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aventuras Posted at 9-28 12:23

Not having a cellular signal has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not the phone/tablet connects to the RC. If it did, no one would be able to use a non-cellular tablet or a phone without a SIM card with the Fly app.
2020-9-28
Use props
djiuser_wTu1nFnZyCjN
New

Australia

Can you use the return to home feature on Mavic Mini with no wifi?
2021-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_wTu1nFnZyCjN Posted at 2-25 20:44

Wifi is only good for accessing internet data.
The drone has no need for internet data to fly or to RTH

Why would you think it might use wifi to RTH?

2021-2-25
Use props
AtPlaces
lvl.1
United States

I dont think sim card is nessecary
2021-2-26
Use props
Reed Hughes
New

United States

Thx for the tips guys!!!
2021-3-23
Use props
islandjim
New

Philippines

Hello all. I am a new member and this is my first post. Re the Mini and Mini 2. After much research I am still a confused person. I am retired and live in the Philippines. Several sources tell me you must have 802.11 ac Wifi capability on your phone or tablet to be able to fly almost all drones. Posts here seem to say otherwise. My phone is not 802.11 ac and hardly any phones or tablets in the Phils are. So if I buy a Mini or Mini 2 will I be able to fly it with my Samsung A12 model phone which is 802.11 b/g/n or a tablet with the same? There is no returning products in the Phils after you buy them so you can see my reluctance to make the Mini purchase without a confirmed ability to fly it.
2021-7-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

islandjim Posted at 7-29 18:41
Hello all. I am a new member and this is my first post. Re the Mini and Mini 2. After much research I am still a confused person. I am retired and live in the Philippines. Several sources tell me you must have 802.11 ac Wifi capability on your phone or tablet to be able to fly almost all drones. Posts here seem to say otherwise. My phone is not 802.11 ac and hardly any phones or tablets in the Phils are. So if I buy a Mini or Mini 2 will I be able to fly it with my Samsung A12 model phone which is 802.11 b/g/n or a tablet with the same? There is no returning products in the Phils after you buy them so you can see my reluctance to make the Mini purchase without a confirmed ability to fly it.

Several sources tell me you must have 802.11 ac Wifi capability on your  phone or tablet to be able to fly almost all drones.

No matter what you might have been told, you don't need any wifi to fly DJI drones that use Occusync Like the Mini 2 and more expensive models).
Anyone that's suggested that you do, has no idea what they are talking about.

2021-7-29
Use props
islandjim
New

Philippines

Labroides Posted at 7-29 19:19
Several sources tell me you must have 802.11 ac Wifi capability on your  phone or tablet to be able to fly almost all drones.
No matter what you might have been told, you don't need any wifi to fly DJI drones that use Occusync Like the Mini 2 and more expensive models).
Anyone that's suggested that you do, has no idea what they are talking about.
Many thanks. You mentioned Accusync in you answer but the Mini and the new Mini SE do not have it. So can I assume I can still fly either of those?
2021-7-29
Use props
JetaGP
lvl.1

United States

@BobWinNV @Woe @Labroides
You and others insist that a network connection is not needed to fly the Mini and I agree this statement is true.
BUT what you are not addressing is that when doing this, the range and altitude is limited to something like 50 meters.
Also, here is a quote from page 34 of the Mini manual:
"Mobile Cellular Data is required when using DJI Fly. Contact your wireless carrier for data charges."

I am just beginning to fly my Mini and yesterday I tried to fly it while beyond the range of my home WiFi signal. It asked me to Log In which it never does
and then it said to "Check Network Connection".  I somehow got past that screen and it breifly showed me a warning that the range and altitude
would be limited to 50 meters (160 feet). I never flew it very far so I don't know if this was truly in effect.
Does anyone know how to get around this limitation without adding a SIM card? I am using an iPad 5.
2022-5-16
Use props
K6CCC
Captain
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Absolutely wrong.  I have an original Mini and have flown in several locations that are miles from the nearest cellular coverage.  I have also flown with the phone in airplane mode - as have MANY others.  The only time you need data coverage is for the initial activation of the drone.  After that, data is NOT required.
Last time I was desert camping (miles from cell coverage), I flew my Mini up to about 8,000 feet away, and also up to the top of a hill nearby that resulted in the drone being about 700 feet above me (till within the 400 foot AGL regulation).  Worked fine.
2022-5-16
Use props
JetaGP
lvl.1

United States

Good to hear. So why is it telling me that range is limited? Also why does the manual state that cellular data is Required?  What version of DJI Fly app are you running?
I am wondering if the newer versions are not allowing this. My version is 1.4.12(535).
2022-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

JetaGP Posted at 5-16 07:08
@BobWinNV @Woe @Labroides
You and others insist that a network connection is not needed to fly the Mini and I agree this statement is true.
BUT what you are not addressing is that when doing this, the range and altitude is limited to something like 50 meters.

I somehow got past that screen and it breifly showed me a warning that the range and altitude
would be limited to 50 meters (160 feet). I never flew it very far so I don't know if this was truly in effect.
Does anyone know how to get around this limitation without adding a SIM card? I am using an iPad 5.

Your distance/height limitation is 100% unrelated to not having internet data.
Check that your don't have Beginner Mode enabled and that you are logged into your DJI account in the app.
2022-5-16
Use props
JetaGP
lvl.1

United States

Hmmm. How do you get out of Beginner mode or even know that I am in it? That could be a possiblity.
Also, it asked me to log in but I couldn't because I have no data connection and was too far to reach my home WiFi.
That is when it said "Check Network Connection". That is why I thought the limitation was related to not having Internet data.
I think you are onto something.
2022-5-16
Use props
Suzygs1000
lvl.3
Australia

Forget it if you're in an authorised area ... and I usually am ... you must  have internet connection!
2022-5-26
Use props
treemann
New

United States

Thank you so much
2022-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules