Beginner's question, takeoff not allowed!
6536 18 2020-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Espace2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11119 ft
Switzerland

Hello everyone ;)

Excuse me if I didn't find the subject here existing in this case;)
I have a Dji MM for a week.
I am starting out in a drone (my first) but, I have> 25 years of experience in aircraft / glider flight. (Scale models)

Everything has been updated, so I have an active account on DJi.
I have done few tests in our region, nothing more.
I use from time to time a aeromodelling simulator on pc + helicopter that was useful when we start with a drone

I was in the countryside, and there I could not take off with this drone. Then, later limited to a very small radius, etc.
The software asks me to connect to the internet ... something I can not do outside of our home without having a wifi.

I have a smartphone *** as a terminal, without a Sim card.
Either I didn't understand an important point, or would it be mandatory to have an internet connection, even when roaming?

thank you for your reply ;)
(Google helped me a little to translate my text)

*** PS
Smartphone that I had to buy specially because the other Androides do not support DJi Fly (except those of my children)

2020-2-22
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

I could be off-base here but here is my thinking on this.

DJI is real picky about keeping you out of no fly zones. Since your device does not have internet access, DJI can't phone home to check your location against it's maps. So it's not going to let you do much.

POSSIBLE solution, take your real phone, make it a wifi hotspot, connect your phone you use for flying to it via wifi, should get the job done.

FWIW, I wish DJI would stop doing this. They won't, but I wish they would put an opt-out in there where we could assume responsibility for our own actions.

Anyhow,

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-22
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Cal Evans Posted at 2-22 06:08
I could be off-base here but here is my thinking on this.

DJI is real picky about keeping you out of no fly zones. Since your device does not have internet access, DJI can't phone home to check your location against it's maps. So it's not going to let you do much.

Thank you chef for your lightning response;)

Ah ????
I can understand that ... BUT it leaves me speechless

It is the first time that I have to use the Internet to fly one of our Gliders even 1000 km from our home (travel)

So clearly:
Without Internet, DJi unusable! Uncool!

-> In this case -> product returns to the dealer, I have 30 days for this (I have 20 left)

Thank you, for your sincerity;)
Jean-François

2020-2-22
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Sorry to add a comment

I can understand that a rough restriction is put in place for large and heavy models ... NOT for a flying machine of 247 gr.
Obviously it is our responsibility to "fly" in free areas.
It would not even occur to me to fly a glider over Category G airspace (without having a radio connected, tuned to the sector frequency)

Sorry, I am forced to add an entry in this thread that cannot edit a writing.

JF)
2020-2-22
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

I have one more question!

So those who use iPad without Sim Card, have the same problem?
Clearly the "idiots" @Youtuber's doesn't talk about that and spend their time hiding some reality about the product they show online?

It's a reality too

JF

The forum and these publishing constraints do not motivate us to continue in this area

2020-2-22
Use props
Corger
lvl.4
United States

I always fly my Mavic Mini in airplane mode and it works without an Internet connection. It does complain about authorizing to send hardware information to DJI and that the device is not activated every now and then (I have that turned off in the privacy settings.)   It's annoying, but I tap cancel and the message goes away and everything is fine.

If you can't take off, then check the app for errors.  Lack of GPS will delay your take off.  Wait a while and it let you take off but warn you to fly with caution.  However, you should wait until you have GPS lock and your home point is set.  Some people might have lost their Minis due to hasty take offs as the Mini will set the RTH location over the ocean, lake, mountain side, etc.

If I remember correctly, the DJI Fly app limits your distance at first.  You need to change the limits in the settings.  Using propeller guards will put the Mini in Payload Mode and limit your height and distance.  The prop guards weight 50+ grams!  Don't use them unless you are indoors.
2020-2-22
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

So it is possible to take-off at home but not possible outdoors? Aren't there restriction zones? That need to be unlocked.
My Xperia phone is not on supported devices list but works w/o problems.
2020-2-22
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Corger Posted at 2-22 06:59
I always fly my Mavic Mini in airplane mode and it works without an Internet connection. It does complain about authorizing to send hardware information to DJI and that the device is not activated every now and then (I have that turned off in the privacy settings.)   It's annoying, but I tap cancel and the message goes away and everything is fine.

If you can't take off, then check the app for errors.  Lack of GPS will delay your take off.  Wait a while and it let you take off but warn you to fly with caution.  However, you should wait until you have GPS lock and your home point is set.  Some people might have lost their Minis due to hasty take offs as the Mini will set the RTH location over the ocean, lake, mountain side, etc.

Okay ...
Thank you for your comments.
For the distance limits I knew it
I will put your advice into practice
I would give my news.
Thank you again.
See you soon

Jean-François;)

@virtual
To clarify my previous comments:
When I talked about "home" it was to say: outside my house (I don't think I would have fun with a drone in our living room);)

2020-2-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to the concern. May I know the exact error message you have encountered so that we can check if this is a " No Fly Zone " or an application error. Kindly please provide a screenshot of the error message. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-2-22
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Czechia

Espace2020 Posted at 2-22 08:47
Okay ...
Thank you for your comments.
For the distance limits I knew it

Jean-François,
I believe that it can be sort out, as it is possible to fly without internet connection. And there's video from Zurich in other thread, so Mini can fly in Switzerland. ;)
2020-2-22
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Hello, Dji Paladin ;)

unfortunately I cannot provide a screenshot ... I will have to learn how to make it.
I use little all the functionality of a Smartphone ... this does not interest me.

However, I looked in the directory
"... \ DJI \ dji.go.v5 \ LOG \ CACHE"
there exist a lot of "log" files whose date would correspond to the usage data.
I notice that the data is either in binary or encrypted?
Whatever.

What could I do to inform you, or provide you?
I note that your application seems well soffisticated in this sense there. There are "log" everywhere;)

In the meantime I connected the Wifi, on my account following the request of the application, then no more problems.
As always, it is much more complicated to know why it works again. In development it is the worst case scenario.

Jfr;)
2020-2-22
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I don't have an iDevice so can't be platforms specific, but the Android part has a Flysafe database and is enforced during offline time as well.

The only moment my Mini with Android needs an Internet connection is when activating the product, one done you're good to go. It is best that you turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off in the devices you have around you, otherwise they might severely impact the quality of the 2.4 GHz connection. In the open 5.8 Ghz is quite good despite the very limited power.
Mavic mini logs are stored in Device storage » DJI » dji.go.v5 » FlightRecord.​

2020-2-22
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Hello,

Okay, I've only been using all of this technology for a week!
After a good night's sleep ...
This morning I start from scratch, "RESET" Smartphone, deactivated various Google services, Wifi Ok, DJi Fly installed from a file (saved)
I'm ready for screenshots.
The drone is accessible without restriction. (at the moment) ;)

It's always good to take it all back with a "rested head"
Ready to fly.

Thank you for yours advices.
JFR;)
2020-2-23
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Czechia

Happy flying and don't rush preflight checks! Wait for GPS lock, check compass ect. It is a bit different from RC planes/gliders (my experience).
2020-2-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you were in a Restricted place and was flying in such an area for the first time you will need to unlock the zone in the fly app and the fist time you do this you need internet connection and also the ability to receive a text on the device you are using to fly. Once you have done this for the first time in a restricted zone you will be ok without internet connection.

So you need to use your phone initially. This is all a bit of a pain and not well described by DJI

dENNIS
2020-2-23
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Hello Dennis
Thank you very much for your very useful comment!
I don't understand a point
How can the system know that a zone is prohibited or restricted without connecting to the internet in order to define it if the zone is restricted or not?

If the system memorizes the GPS position of the last use and finds that there is 100 km between the last point and the current one,
because I moved (indeed in a prohibited zone) he can only ask for internet access for this..

If this is the case during frequent travel it is practically obligatory to have a SIM card and a good telephone subscription for abroad (Roaming)
A SmartPhone Ok, but NOT with a tablet because it is less frequent than it has a SIM card ...

If this is the case it is not practical for holidays without internet: ..."on top of a mountain" lol;)

2020-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Espace2020 Posted at 2-23 10:01
Hello Dennis
Thank you very much for your very useful comment!
I don't understand a point

It works through your app once your signed into dji, I suppose if you are going to be in such remote areas where no internet is available then it’s most likely although not certain that they will be NFZ area, so where you come across a NFZ you should manage to get connected.

Maybe famous last words, so might be worth checking if area you holiday inn has internet and if NFZ is going to be a problem.
2020-2-23
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Indeed it is mandatory ... here is the example (In French) Flight limited to 30/50 m

2020-2-23
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.2
Switzerland

Finally ..
Impossible takeoff Error 30064
Then I had an application crash!

JFR ;)
2020-2-24
Use props