Mavic mini range problems
28785 34 2020-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
erominef
lvl.1
Flight distance : 336762 ft
United States

I purchased a mavic mini in december of 2019 up until now I never really flew far away about 2 days ago I went to push the limits of the thing and could only get around 1000 ft out I live in a sburban part of va and there is not much wifi interference are there any settings that im missing this is my first drone thanks
2020-2-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day erominef. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. Can you please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Mavic Mini and try flying the said drone in an open area with less interference like metal structures and powerlines. In addittion if your DJI Mavic Mini is the CE version, then you can fly it normally in CE, SRRC, and FCC countries and regions. In an unobstructed environment free of interference, the max image transmission distance is as follows:
If it is a CE country or region, the Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 2 km in 2.4 GHz and 500 m in 5.8 GHz ( if supported by local regulations );
If it is an SRRC or FCC country or region, the Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 2 km in 2.4 GHz and 500 m in 5.8 GHz.
In addition, when the CE aircraft enters a country or region where 5.8 GHz is restricted, such as Japan, Russia, Israel, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan, DJI Fly will ban the 5.8 GHz according to the country code that has been identified, and therefore users can only choose 2.4 GHz. Please always follow the local regulations when using the aircraft for a safe flight. Thank you.
2020-2-23
Use props
erominef
lvl.1
Flight distance : 336762 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-23 09:29
Hello and good day erominef. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. Can you please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Mavic Mini and try flying the said drone in an open area with less interference like metal structures and powerlines. In addittion if your DJI Mavic Mini is the CE version, then you can fly it normally in CE, SRRC, and FCC countries and regions. In an unobstructed environment free of interference, the max image transmission distance is as follows:
If it is a CE country or region, the Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 2 km in 2.4 GHz and 500 m in 5.8 GHz ( if supported by local regulations );
If it is an SRRC or FCC country or region, the Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 2 km in 2.4 GHz and 500 m in 5.8 GHz.

you mentioned that the fcc model has 2.4 GHz but it seems that my mavic does not have 2.4
2020-2-23
Use props
djiuser_YO13uRLGGabw
New
Flight distance : 75 ft

Indonesia

hello everyone, I also have the same problem. I can't fly my dji mavic mini more than 30 meters. if it reaches 30 meters the signal is immediately cut off. please direct me
2020-2-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you for the additional information you have shared. Can you please try to check the orientation of the remote controllers antenna to see if the issue will still persts? For reference I will post an official DJI tutorial video on Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Thank you.

2020-2-23
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

Hi,

Mine is the CE version.
With my phone (iphone XR) in airplane mode after loading the maps and what not, transmission in auto, able to fly out the drone to 1000m with height around 50m.
Occasionally will lose signal, but if adjusted the antenna and face the drone, the signal resumes.
2020-2-23
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

With CE version 2km. is only a wish
2020-2-24
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

If you're in the open w/out constructed areas around 2 Km is quite realistic. I managed to do 700m w/ reflectors on the RC antennas without problems, but at 5.8 GHz... the trouble w/ 2.4 GHz is that more often than not you have to overpower other Wi-Fi signals.

To be honest I don't think the CE version is inferior compared to FCC, the 2.4 GHz has a better bouncing capability and I like the option to have both.
2020-2-24
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

m80116 Posted at 2-24 06:30
To be honest I don't think the CE version is inferior compared to FCC, the 2.4 GHz has a better bouncing capability and I like the option to have both.

That's a bit weird to say, there is literally no environment as far as I know where the CE version can match the FCC version, let alone be better than it.
2020-2-24
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Is it possible to force the CE Version to use 5.8GHz? And if so, would it be still worse than the real FCC Version?
2020-2-24
Use props
ClaudeS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42234 ft
Canada

I've had constant signal drop-off issues with my FCC Mavic Mini, and have never managed to fly further than 600m away.

After a dozen flights, including some out in the mountains/coast where I should have had no interference, I feel that this isn't normal/acceptable. I'm aware of the correct antenna orientation, and the cone below the drone that has weak signal.

What's most frustrating is that the WiFi indicator is always full (4 white bars), and the transmission/channels indicators are always low/green, indicating that there should be no radio noise.

Here's a compilation showing all the signal issues I've had, along with data showing distance/height of the drone, and where I was flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9d52BSx1k4

Any feedback here, before I write to DJI support directly? I purchased DJI care, and the drone is pretty much unusable due to all the drop-offs, and the range I'm getting is orders of magnitude below the advertised range.
2020-3-24
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ClaudeS Posted at 3-24 00:46
I've had constant signal drop-off issues with my FCC Mavic Mini, and have never managed to fly further than 600m away.

After a dozen flights, including some out in the mountains/coast where I should have had no interference, I feel that this isn't normal/acceptable. I'm aware of the correct antenna orientation, and the cone below the drone that has weak signal.

you are flying at 500 m height and 300 m away, so that's a lot and the height is pure stupidity!
Nothing more to say
2020-3-24
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

ClaudeS Posted at 3-24 00:46

WOW 1600ft in the air damn, and Canada's laws are the same as ours at 400ft. I don't think the transmission issues are because of interference and more to do with exceeding the capabilities of the drone.  

Some of the video looked like you were flying directly above yourself which is really bad for signal, try to take off and move a few Meters away before climbing so you have a stronger signal.

It would be really interesting to see that flight log if you could upload it: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ (Instructions are the same for the mini.)
2020-3-24
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Nearly 500m altitude?? And you're wondering why you don't get distance? Try 70m (unobstructed view) and push your bird out to a mile and then let us know? A bit of common sense goes a long way (please forgive the punt)
2020-3-25
Use props
ClaudeS
lvl.1
Canada

Please don't get distracted by one data-point (I'm aware that 500m altitude may have issues, and flying directly above will have poor signal).

I've seen myriad videos from other Mavic Mini owners who have managed to get 1-2 miles away, and many who fly in urban areas with no issues, yet I've done over 40 flights now, and never got more than 600m away.

The latest flight I did, in suburban Vancouver, I got 80m of height, and couldn't get past 290m distance - complete signal loss. Joyful 2 minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36DGYiDilE

The description in my previous YouTube video (linked above) lists all the distances/heights where signal was lost:

H:7m, D:1m
H:85m, D:236m
H:131m, D:190m
H:190m, D:167m
H:193m, D:50m
H:194m, D:122m
H:195m, D:620m
H:258m, D:74m
H:260m, D:130m
H:283m, D:28m
H:295m, D:259m
H:335m, D 157m
H:440m, D:175m
H:463m, D:194m

Pretty much every flight I've done has had connection issues.
I get that sometimes there'll be interference, but the transmission graph in-app always shows green on the channel used (no interference), and the WiFi indicator is mostly/always showing full strength.

Something just not right, either with the drone's transmission capability, or its reporting of interference and WiFi connection strength.

I'm just trying to figure out if most people regularly have connection issues this bad at short distances, or not - so I can tell if this is normal and acceptable, or a bad unit.
2020-4-26
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

ClaudeS Posted at 4-26 18:04
Please don't get distracted by one data-point (I'm aware that 500m altitude may have issues, and flying directly above will have poor signal).

I've seen myriad videos from other Mavic Mini owners who have managed to get 1-2 miles away, and many who fly in urban areas with no issues, yet I've done over 40 flights now, and never got more than 600m away.

Have you taken it to an open field and tried that?
2020-4-26
Use props
ClaudeS
lvl.1
Canada

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-24 02:48
WOW 1600ft in the air damn, and Canada's laws are the same as ours at 400ft. I don't think the transmission issues are because of interference and more to do with exceeding the capabilities of the drone.  

Some of the video looked like you were flying directly above yourself which is really bad for signal, try to take off and move a few Meters away before climbing so you have a stronger signal.

I uploaded the latest log from a flight where I got 80m height, and no further than 290m distance:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/P3CPNMYTX83R9JL86CTT

Matching the recent YouTube link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36DGYiDilE - the YouTube video starts about 3 mins into the flight)

The resulting report on the website doesn't seem to show any messages about interference or RC signal loss. Are any connection records stored in the logs?
2020-4-26
Use props
ClaudeS
lvl.1
Canada

ClaudeS Posted at 4-26 18:15
I uploaded the latest log from a flight where I got 80m height, and no further than 290m distance:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/P3CPNMYTX83R9JL86CTT

Here's the log on Airdata from that recent flight, matching the YouTube video:

https://app.airdata.com/share/Llfykl

It shows a 100% connectivity score, which just wasn't what I experienced. At 80m height and 290m distance, I lost video for a good minute, and regularly lost RC connection.

I then looked at another log, where I lost signal within seconds of take-off, and it does indeed show 0% connectivity:
https://app.airdata.com/share/TuYEyo
(I'm putting that one down to being near a ferry terminal, which may have been pumping out some radio noise?)

Almost all of my other flight logs on AirData show 100% signal all the time, which doesn't match all the drop-outs I've had (shown in my original YouTube link)...

This just gets stranger and stranger.
2020-4-26
Use props
djiuser_sIurKdPcyDjG
New
India

I have the same problem. An FCC Mini, purchased in United States (never flew it there). Now I'm in India and can't fly farther than 300-400 meters on a 25-50 m altitude. It's really upsetting =(
2020-5-22
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ClaudeS Posted at 4-26 18:40
Here's the log on Airdata from that recent flight, matching the YouTube video:

https://app.airdata.com/share/Llfykl

Your first airdata link shows you flying in an urban area with lots of buildings  which will have loads of WIFI interference

The second link you are flying in a harbour, each one of those boats and the control tower will have all sorts of powerful RC transmitters

2020-5-22
Use props
Moses Brown
lvl.1

United States

erominef Posted at 2-23 10:41
you mentioned that the fcc model has 2.4 GHz but it seems that my mavic does not have 2.4

I'm in the same boat I can't get my drone to switch to 2.4 gigahertz when I check the channels there's only a few channels up in the high hundreds and again there is no obstructions I live out in the countryside of Connecticut I even tried manually selecting 2.4 gigahertz and changing the channel but nothing happens Stuck On 5 ghz
2020-7-15
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Moses Brown Posted at 7-15 02:41
I'm in the same boat I can't get my drone to switch to 2.4 gigahertz when I check the channels there's only a few channels up in the high hundreds and again there is no obstructions I live out in the countryside of Connecticut I even tried manually selecting 2.4 gigahertz and changing the channel but nothing happens Stuck On 5 ghz

You're in the US so will have FCC drone with no 2.4ghz option.

The 5.8Ghz in FCC is much more powerful and far better than any of the CE modes.
2020-7-15
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Try putting your Phone in airplane mode, this usually helps distance significantly!
2020-7-15
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Try putting your Phone in airplane mode, this usually helps distance significantly!
2020-7-15
Use props
DutchAmrerican Fiester
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328163 ft
Turkey

Yes it's also the fastest drone I have ever see, just look at these numbers, yeah no issue with this drone. Actually never flew out of the backyard..! This all after doing the complete reinstall..!(  https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2889140524638827&id=100006287229213 ) all videos of that day & reinstall everything & reclabration of everything..!
Screenshot_2020-11-02-17-10-58-825_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
Screenshot_2020-11-02-17-11-16-939_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
Screenshot_2020-11-02-17-11-32-164_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg
2020-11-2
Use props
DutchAmrerican Fiester
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328163 ft
Turkey

Moses Brown Posted at 7-15 02:41
I'm in the same boat I can't get my drone to switch to 2.4 gigahertz when I check the channels there's only a few channels up in the high hundreds and again there is no obstructions I live out in the countryside of Connecticut I even tried manually selecting 2.4 gigahertz and changing the channel but nothing happens Stuck On 5 ghz

Same issue, did you ever get a answer..?
2020-11-19
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DutchAmrerican Fiester Posted at 11-19 11:11
Same issue, did you ever get a answer..?

Remember that the range quoted by DJI is the absolute maximum in perfect conditions with NO interference whatsoever. Most of us will get significantly less than this, particularly in urban areas.
2020-11-24
Use props
ameri180304
lvl.2
United States

I usually get 1200ft. with my mavic mini here in the city
2020-11-24
Use props
ameri180304
lvl.2
United States

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Update, I tried videoeditman's advise, saw a difference when put in airplane mode (never did this before).  Try that.
2020-11-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

ClaudeS Posted at 4-26 18:04
Please don't get distracted by one data-point (I'm aware that 500m altitude may have issues, and flying directly above will have poor signal).

If you are flying a Mini, stop using the term WiFi, the Mini does not use WiFi for any communication at all.
2020-11-24
Use props
kutsi
New

Turkey

I have a range problem too. I used it in 2 different small villages with few people and full of mountains or farms.

Max high 100metre and 300m far from me. After that, I lost the signal. And mostly I have min 12-13 satellite. And my signal always says, the controller has a signal problem while drone next to me. I like it but I think I will return it after 2 months or they need the fix that.

My review and comment are not good for DJI Mavic mini and I am disappointed.
2021-1-1
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

With Enhanced WiFi, unfortunately it really depends on the location of your interference as to determine the clear connectivity of your connection.
2021-1-1
Use props
Spike1967
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mavic mini CE poor range

Seems I am not the only one with range issues! So I am going to try the following, first select manual channel in 2.4ghz test, then next shut off my phones radio then test finally add range bosstes and test fingers crossed i will find a combo that gives me more than 600 meters? Even if i dont need a 2km range it would give me peace of mind that i can get a solid and reliable connection. Wish me luck
2021-7-17
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

do you use the signal range booster?
2021-7-18
Use props
djiuser_JFC4qX70hyYl
lvl.1

United States

I just purchased Mini SE and tested the maxim range I got is 2200m at Indian river fireground Vero beach. it is very huge and empty land. and test route no any restriction. I do not know if it is common?
2022-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules