Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Atti mode
123Next >
19324 85 2020-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cryptic
First Officer
Flight distance : 1516709 ft
United States

Is there a atti mode for the mini? If so how do you turn it on?
2020-2-23
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
First Officer
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

You cant turn atti mode on manually
2020-2-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

None of the magics have attitude mode
2020-2-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Cryptic. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The DJI Mavic Mini automatically changes to ATTI mode when the Vision System is unavailable or disabled and when the GPS Signal is weak or the compass of the said drone experiences interference. When the Vision System is not available, the drone cannot position itself or break automatically, which increases the risk of potential fight hazard. In ATTI mode, the aircraft may be more easily affected by its surroundings. Environment factors such as wind can result in hazardous shifting, which may present hazards, especially when flying in confined spaces. Thank you.
2020-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Atti mode switch is reserved for larger dji drones like phantom and inspire matrice lines, no Mavic has Atti mode , there are some hacks for both Mavic orignal and M2 but I haven’t heard of any yet for mini , if your looking to get some experience flying attitude mode I’d suggest getting cheap $50 drone saves risking your good Mavic mini.
2020-2-23
Use props
red squirrel
Captain
Flight distance : 55610 ft
United States

I’ve read that you can cover the GPS sensors with foil in order to fly ATTI.  Haven’t tried it.
2020-2-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

red squirrel Posted at 2-23 10:42
I’ve read that you can cover the GPS sensors with foil in order to fly ATTI.  Haven’t tried it.

It does work but it's a lot of faff
2020-2-23
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Just by experience: before the Mini will switch into Atti mode (not indicated) you will have a condition of unstable/distorted GPS signal, the drone will fluctuate quite a bit without precise reference especially when the VPS is being fooled by water or the land under it is too far away.

My advise is to be very careful in that condition and avoid flying.

2020-2-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day red squirrel. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. DJI does not recommend doing this process. This process might affect the performance of the said drone and it may lead to a crash and this can also void the warranty of the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and please fly safe always.
2020-2-25
Use props
Cryptic
First Officer
Flight distance : 1516709 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-25 15:47
Hello and good day red squirrel. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. DJI does not recommend doing this process. This process might affect the performance of the said drone and it may lead to a crash and this can also void the warranty of the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and please fly safe always.
Ok
2020-2-25
Use props
emaneg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

you cover with adhesive tape the sensors on the bottom of your MM and you cover with ALU foil the upper side of the MM (so as tho shield the GPS reception).
that's it
2020-2-26
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2425 ft
United States

A J Posted at 2-23 10:17
None of the magics have attitude mode

Yes they do , my Mavic 2 Pro has atti mode, it's just hidden away in the code. For me it's more useful than sport mode (gimmick) so I swapped that out and now have Tripod, Position, Atti instead. In the case of a Mavic Mini you cn put duct tape over the sensors. It's not recommended.
2020-2-26
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hover-Fly Posted at 2-26 04:33
Yes they do , my Mavic 2 Pro has atti mode, it's just hidden away in the code. For me it's more useful than sport mode (gimmick) so I swapped that out and now have Tripod, Position, Atti instead. In the case of a Mavic Mini you cn put duct taape over the sensors. It's not recommended.

Well, they all have attitude mode but none of them have a switch in which you can manually select the mode on the normal code - unlike the Phantoms and Inspires which are designed for the pilot to select atti mode in flight without having to break any code.
2020-2-26
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 2-26 10:17
Well, they all have attitude mode but none of them have a switch in which you can manually select the mode on the normal code - unlike the Phantoms and Inspires which are designed for the pilot to select atti mode in flight without having to break any code.

The switch is there, it's just labelled wrongly ;-) Just changed the parameter value of the switch - select an out of the box mode to change, and presto, It's not hard wired, nor magic ;-). The code/parameter for Atti mode is there. For some reason DJI probably thought marketing the speed of Sports Mode was a higher priority than flying in Atti. To me that isn't so, for better videography, Atti mode is much more useful than charging about the sky. I use Tripod , Position and Atti, as will most videographers, so I chose to convert the Sports Mode position to Atti.  It's interesting to look through and find out what else is hidden. Regards  
2020-2-26
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hover-Fly Posted at 2-26 12:05
The switch is there, it's just labelled wrongly ;-) Just changed the parameter value of the switch - select an out of the box mode to change, and presto, It's not hard wired, nor magic ;-). The code/parameter for Atti mode is there. For some reason DJI probably thought marketing the speed of Sports Mode was a higher priority than flying in Atti. To me that isn't so, for better videography, Atti mode is much more useful than charging about the sky. I use Tripod , Position and Atti, as will most videographers, so I chose to convert the Sports Mode position to Atti.  It's interesting to look through and find out what else is hidden. Regards

My point being is that the larger drones are fundamentally designed to fly in Atti mode (with an 'A' switch labelled on the RC by DJI) without making any software alterations - the Mavic's are not. They should be but unless you alter the code or wrap your drone up in foil like a Christmas Turkey then you won't be able to select Atti on a Mavic in line with it's core design and programming.
2020-2-26
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good way to crash your drone to be honest.
2020-2-26
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 2-26 12:10
My point being is that the larger drones are fundamentally designed to fly in Atti mode (with an 'A' switch labelled on the RC by DJI) without making any software alterations - the Mavic's are not. They should be but unless you alter the code or wrap your drone up in foil like a Christmas Turkey then you won't be able to select Atti on a Mavic in line with it's core design and programming.

I should hope every drone are designed to be flown in Atti mode. If GPS / GLOSNASS  loss occurs for whatever reason , that's the position the PIC is immediately placed in and should confidently know how to recover the situation and at least land safely. Regards.   

2020-2-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hover-Fly Posted at 2-27 08:17
I should hope every drone are designed to be flown in Atti mode. If GPS / GLOSNASS  loss occurs for whatever reason , that's the position the PIC is immediately placed in and should confidently know how to recover the situation and at least land safely. Regards.

Not 'every drone' but DJI drones are designed to auto switch to atti in the event of both GPS and VPS loss but clearly not all drones are designed to enable manual switching to that mode out the box during normal flight with GPS/VPS still functioning and without hacking or wrapping in foil but hopefully no need to repeat myself.
2020-2-28
Use props
Nidge
Captain

United Kingdom

As DJI are reluctant to allow user selectable ATTI mode it seems to have spurned a lot of mysticism that flying in such a mode is bad for your health and that of the drone.  All it really means is that the Drone will not hold a stationary position when you take your hands off the controller. The Drone will still fly exactly the same and will maintain altitude. I don’t know if the Mini is supported on DJIAssitant2, V1.2, but if it is there’s a  tutorial by Wolfe over in the Spark forum that details the process of being able to manually select it.

Just like Hover-Fly my preferred flying mode with a typical camera drone is ATTI as it allows for much smoother and natural movements. I’ll switch to GPS position hold if I need to go hands off or if I’m performing a repeatable shot with the aid of waypoints.

I suspect that DJI have purposely restricted the use of ATTI mode as more people without prior flying experience are buying their products and the assistance provided by a position hold capability acts as a safety net, especially when losing orientation when trying to fly nose in.

Nidge.
2020-2-28
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

If you haven't flown in ATTI mode, then I can understand your curiosity. I also appreciate that the pilot has the opportunity to improve his flying skills to a small extent. However, it isn't a mode to be hankered for.
Without GPS and for landing, no sensors, fine control is very difficult. The slightest air movement deflects the drone in every direction. A bit like moving hurridly on an ice rink wearing smooth-soled shoes, but with up and down as well.
I have flown my Phantom in ATTI mode but for my purposes, it was a pointless exercise. It made me realise how important a full set of satellites is when flying and not to fly beyond LOS in areas where there may be interference with the controller signal. RTH will not work.
Just to show you how skittish a drone can be in ATTI mode, I include this experimental video. I had full GPS until I was close to the tunnel and lost it from thereon. It was expected and planned for.
I have flown through ruins as well, with no GPS and is very hard to control a Mavic PRO in those conditions.
Stay safe and don't do what I do...

2020-2-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

If you have any other inquiries or concerns with your DJI Mavic Mini or with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-2-28
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 2-28 01:16
Not 'every drone' but DJI drones are designed to auto switch to atti in the event of both GPS and VPS loss but clearly not all drones are designed to enable manual switching to that mode out the box during normal flight with GPS/VPS still functioning and without hacking or wrapping in foil but hopefully no need to repeat myself.

DJI singularly fail to understand the importance of having Atti mode to hand so you can practice becoming a competent pilot when  GPS/Glosnass lock fails, When. It will happen. There is no question that knowing and practising how to fly in Atti mode will make you a more competent pilot, indeed it is a requisite to pass your commercial operators permissions within the UK, although some examiners do provide workarounds. For DJI to hide the Atti Mode functionality away on the Mavic 2 series and give pilots Sport Mode instead is questionable at best. Regards.
2020-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hover-Fly Posted at 3-1 07:04
DJI singularly fail to understand the importance of having Atti mode to hand so you can practice becoming a competent pilot when  GPS/Glosnass lock fails, When. It will happen. There is no question that knowing and practising how to fly in Atti mode will make you a more competent pilot, indeed it is a requisite to pass your commercial operators permissions within the UK, although some examiners do provide workarounds. For DJI to hide the Atti Mode functionality away on the Mavic 2 series and give pilots Sport Mode instead is questionable at best. Regards.

I think the opposite applies here, dji do in fact realize the potential of atti mode and the pros and cons.

I see many older users particularly now with inspire and phantoms using atti mode particularly when filiming a lot of these guys still use atti mode, when I was doing my commercial license practical Atti was a requirement for part of it, I used P4 at the time, guy in front of me completed his practical in atti mode with inspire 1, I felt inadequate and was ver6 impressed.

But getting back to why it’s a lot less beneficial for Mavic users to have atti mode on drones.
When drones started to become popular IE phantom 2 many many users destroyed their drones for reasons like they didn’t know anything about Atti mode, so it seemed that every second drone taking off in atti mode was smashing to a wall tree etc and this was similar with P3.
Forums lit up with single complaint why does drone need atti mode, if only they had known control was so limited they wouldn’t have tried it, so not reading the manual and blaming dji.

The biggest growth in consumer drones by far came with the introduction of Mavic pro 1, and one of its biggest successes was none were lost due to user flying in atti mode and this has continued through all the Mavic line, so now nobody complains about loosing their drone to atti mode as against hundreds being lost because atti mode was a feature.

Yes some are lost now when craft looses gps and auto atti mode kicks in , but nothing like the numbers seen with drones that have atti mode, so law of averages and what’s good for the goose applies  here.

I’m not sure of how many times a pilot will completely lose gps in the life of his drone, I have at least 3 that have never lost gps and I expect it’s similar for the greater majority of dji drones.

Learning to fly in atti mode is usually when crashes occur, so practice Atti mode usually causes crash not avoids crash and in cases like M2P this is an incredibly expensive lesson to learn while your learning to fly.

A sensible option to learning to fly is to buy cheap drone to practice , they usually are pretty robust and give you a great option to learning to fly without sensors as well as gps, and they offer a much lower risk than using your very expensive drone to learn to fly.

Remember also ALL dji drones automatically go to to ATTI/OPTI mode when gps is lost whether mini or inspire switch is basically redundant unless you want to fly in atti mode for a specific reason, I also think that if flying in Atti mode is something you require for something other than just practice then there are many options available.

I think both people and drones on the whole are a bit safer for not having an atti switch on their drone.
My 2p worth .
2020-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Nidge Posted at 2-28 02:31
As DJI are reluctant to allow user selectable ATTI mode it seems to have spurned a lot of mysticism that flying in such a mode is bad for your health and that of the drone.  All it really means is that the Drone will not hold a stationary position when you take your hands off the controller. The Drone will still fly exactly the same and will maintain altitude. I don’t know if the Mini is supported on DJIAssitant2, V1.2, but if it is there’s a  tutorial by Wolfe over in the Spark forum that details the process of being able to manually select it.

Just like Hover-Fly my preferred flying mode with a typical camera drone is ATTI as it allows for much smoother and natural movements. I’ll switch to GPS position hold if I need to go hands off or if I’m performing a repeatable shot with the aid of waypoints.

It would be good to see these videos that are so much smoother in atti mode, I do know a couple of guys who fly inspires for film industry who regularly fly Atti mode , so yes would appreciate you posting some samples or do you have a you tube channel?
2020-3-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-1 07:47
I think the opposite applies here, dji do in fact realize the potential of atti mode and the pros and cons.

I see many older users particularly now with inspire and phantoms using atti mode particularly when filiming a lot of these guys still use atti mode, when I was doing my commercial license practical Atti was a requirement for part of it, I used P4 at the time, guy in front of me completed his practical in atti mode with inspire 1, I felt inadequate and was ver6 impressed.

Completely on point - nothing further to add
2020-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 2-28 01:16

DJI drones are designed to auto switch to atti in the event of both GPS and VPS loss
Your drone does not switch to atti mode if you lose GPS.
Without GPS, there is no P-GPS mode and Atti mode is all you have without any need for any switching.
2020-3-1
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 3-1 12:22
DJI drones are designed to auto switch to atti in the event of both GPS and VPS loss
Your drone does not switch to atti mode if you lose GPS.
Without GPS, there is no P-GPS mode and Atti mode is all you have without any need for any switching.

Inexperienced pilots who suffer loss of GPS signal are thrust into the situation of having to fly in Atti mode. My thoughts are that it is far better to allow easy access to Atti mode where they can practice to
become competent pilots who can then easily cope when such a situation occurs by having experienced and practiced emergency situations. Instead DJI give them Sport Mode, hiding Atti mode away in the code. That to me just is not logical, i should prefer people to become competent , safe pilots. Atti mode should be the choice, with Sports mode hidden away as a hack. Regards
2020-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Hover-Fly Posted at 3-1 12:49
Inexperienced pilots who suffer loss of GPS signal are thrust into the situation of having to fly in Atti mode. My thoughts are that it is far better to allow easy access to Atti mode where they can practice to
become competent pilots who can then easily cope when such a situation occurs by having experienced and practiced emergency situations. Instead DJI give them Sport Mode, hiding Atti mode away in the code. That to me just is not logical, i should prefer people to become competent , safe pilots. Atti mode should be the choice, with Sports mode hidden away as a hack. Regards

How often do you lose GPS?
I've only been flying for 6 years but haven't lost GPS yet.
If you are flying out in the open, losing GPS isn't something you need to worry about.
2020-3-1
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 3-1 13:11
I've only been flying for 6 years but haven't lost GPS yet.
If you are flying out in the open, losing GPS isn't something you need to worry about.

It is every pilot's obligation in both manned and unmanned aviation  to be safe and competent in the case of an emergency. "isn't something you need to worry about" is complacent. Regards.
2020-3-2
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Labroides Posted at 3-1 13:11
I've only been flying for 6 years but haven't lost GPS yet.

there was a thread here just a few days ago of a user that crashed his drone because he was flying in an area with lots of trees and the logs showed a lot of GPS errors, probably due to the trees.
I would personally love to be able to quickly switch the drone in ATTI mode in case something goes wrong and just take full control.
2020-3-2
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Hover-Fly Posted at 3-2 04:54
It is every pilot's obligation in both manned and unmanned aviation  to be safe and competent in the case of an emergency. "isn't something you need to worry about" is complacent. Regards.
So how many times have you lost GPS?
And under what circumstances?

It is every pilot's obligation in both manned and unmanned aviation  to  be safe and competent in the case of an emergency. "isn't something you  need to worry about" is complacent.

FYI, I'm an extremely competent pilot in any flying situation and far from complacent.

2020-3-2
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 3-2 05:03
there was a thread here just a few days ago of a user that crashed his drone because he was flying in an area with lots of trees and the logs showed a lot of GPS errors, probably due to the trees.
I would personally love to be able to quickly switch the drone in ATTI mode in case something goes wrong and just take full control.

GPS errors or he lost GPS because he flew under the tree canopy?
2020-3-2
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

GPS accuracy kept dropping off and coming back because of the surrounding trees. I tried finding the topic but I don't remember the title....
2020-3-2
Use props
Mizzu
First Officer
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-1 07:47

I bought a cheap one for flying ATTI as well. Eachine E58, very cheap and some kind of "mini-mavic-mini".
~30€, so I really don't care if I destroy it accidentally, whereas I would start crying when I destroy my beloved Mavic Mini because of my stupidity/missing skills.

But I would like to have the Option for ATTI on the Mini as well, maybe with some big fat warning and 3x "press the accept button to continue", but it would be cool to have it in the future, when I'm good in flying in this Mode. On the other hand I can understand why it isn't there (yet). Just because of the reasons you wrote. It would be much more expensive for DJI (and their customers).
2020-3-2
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

wouldn't a manual trigger for ATTI mode be able to stop a runaway caused by a compass error? Well, obviously not "stop" it as in the drone won't be able to hold position on its own but have the computer just stick to staying airborne and leave everything else to the pilot. I would feel much safer with such an option available.
2020-3-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 3-2 05:03

Why would you want a switch to turn to atti mode if you lost gps, all dji drones when lost gps automatically go to ATTI mode so you don’t need to be looking for your atti switch, and more to the point if you had an atti switch lost gps switched to atti mode and suddenly gps returned you would end up struggling to hold craft even though gps returned but you didn’t know , so the switch is only for those wishing to fly in atti mode, NOT for those loosing gps, that’s auto and should stay that way for safety reasons .
2020-3-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hover-Fly Posted at 3-2 04:54

Then you agree, most crashes in atti mode are those users practicing atti mode, so if more are going to crash using atti mode, stands to reason that less drones will be lost to atti mode if they can’t switch.

And as I said if you want to fly a drone in atti mode then buy a drone with atti mode, it seems with gps users are having problems flying in gps mode, so what do you think would happen with a little 249g drone in atti mode .
2020-3-2
Use props
Hover-Fly
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-2 09:19
Then you agree, most crashes in atti mode are those users practicing atti mode, so if more are going to crash using atti mode, stands to reason that less drones will be lost to atti mode if they can’t switch.

And as I said if you want to fly a drone in atti mode then buy a drone with atti mode, it seems with gps users are having problems flying in gps mode, so what do you think would happen with a little 249g drone in atti mode .

I did buy one, one of the smaller drones I fly is called the Mavic 2 Pro , it has Atti mode, just inconveniently hidden away by the manufacturer. But it is there.

Full circle.

Regards
2020-3-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hover-Fly Posted at 3-2 10:56
I did buy one, one of the smaller drones I fly is called the Mavic 2 Pro , it has Atti mode, just inconveniently hidden away by the manufacturer. But it is there.

Full circle.

Yes but what I explained to you was why atti mode is not part of mavics, what you’ve done is voided your warranty and for what , the once you might lose gps , you trying to put forward a case for saving drones from loss of gps, but all that was proven to do was cause more to crash because of using atti mode .
2020-3-2
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Romania

hallmark007 Posted at 3-2 09:14
Why would you want a switch to turn to atti mode if you lost gps, all dji drones when lost gps automatically go to ATTI mode so you don’t need to be looking for your atti switch, and more to the point if you had an atti switch lost gps switched to atti mode and suddenly gps returned you would end up struggling to hold craft even though gps returned but you didn’t know , so the switch is only for those wishing to fly in atti mode, NOT for those loosing gps, that’s auto and should stay that way for safety reasons .

I just explained above, compass error is a great example I would say
2020-3-2
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules