Not Enough Force/ESC Error...crash
12Next >
5288 70 2020-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kMh2IHAs3PMZ
lvl.2
United States

I was flying my mavic mini today. Flight lasted 18 minutes. A few times the wind picked up, but nothing that lasted very long and I did get a warning. At 18 mins 4 seconds I lowered the drone to 13ft where I intended it to hover. After releasing the left stick the drone kept lowering, first a little then pretty quickly, eventually hitting the ground. AI tried to recover at about 5.5 ft but the drone kept dropping even with the left stick fully up.

I looked at the log and sure enough the Not Enough Force/ESC Error appeared multiple times throughout the flight, with it being nearly constant during the final 2 minutes of the flight. Conditions at that point were pretty calm, just a light breeze.

My firmware on the drone, remote, batteries are all up to date and the app is up to date. I was very lucky I was flying over grass so I got the drone back and there wasn't any apparent physical damage. But there is obviously something wrong with the drone, and it seems DJI isn't doing anything to fix this known issue.

Link to the flight log: https://app.airdata.com/flight/3ae184bff2c461bf28b51019f507fff5

Has anyone gotten an answer or a fix from DJI?

2020-2-23
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the "SPECS" for the MM...... it shows an Intelligent Flight Battery   Lith-ION 2400mah    AND    a Lipo 1100MAH Intelligent Flight Battery

Can someone tell me which one comes with the MM,  and if the Combo has a different battery.......

Thx
Randy
2020-2-23
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2-23 19:59
In the "SPECS" for the MM...... it shows an Intelligent Flight Battery   Lith-ION 2400mah    AND    a Lipo 1100MAH Intelligent Flight Battery

Can someone tell me which one comes with the MM,  and if the Combo has a different battery.......

The Japanese version of the Mavic Mini weights in at 199 grams and uses the smaller (lighter) battery.  Everyone else gets the 2400mah batteries including the three that come with the FlyMore version.
2020-2-23
Use props
djiuser_4na1HcrXeaJ3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13445 ft

United Kingdom

HI,

I had the same error, and I send my drone to Dji, but they tell me it is all ok ! I crash my drone cause this error and I had a bad forced landing.... My mavic mini it is really unreliable and I didn't want to pay for a replace cause it is a problem of my model for sure.....

The wheater conditions were good, and I wasn't using propellers cover.

Battery charged, now wind alert, no others problem.... only this errors "MAX LOAD REACHED" repeted every time
2020-2-24
Use props
djiuser_kMh2IHAs3PMZ
lvl.2
United States

Everything I've read and the fact that is a very well known issue that is not isolated to just a few users would indicate that there is a problem that DJI is refusing to acknowledge. I submitted a ticket but based upon comments from other people in other threads, DJI hasn't done much to even so much as swap  out for new ones. I think is is totally wrong for DJI to just ignore this issue. People impacted by this should go to DJI's facebook and twitter feeds and complain.
2020-2-24
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Conditions: 4.0 m/s wind ground speed. 26% battery, just shy of the safe margin of 20%. Possibile air speed at 3 meters: around 8 m/s with gusts above that level.

At 3 meters above the ground just before the end you quickly input FULL left CS down for a brief moment, stopped and corrected with what I'd name the CSC of DEATH.

Using FULL elevator up and FULL pitch down.  In mode 2 that is equal to both sticks UP.

For a Mini in those conditions, in a flight plagued with Strong Wind Warnings and Not Enough Force errors (which should have told you something) , possibly actively undergoing wind gusts above 8 m/s (which is beyond the design limit) and during CineMode (which has 4 m/s max speed, and a 1 m/s vertical) you did that CSC.

Your commands caused the front rotors to slow down and the rear probably didn't spin up quickly and with enough power because the drone was already maxed out by hovering. You should have landed in P mode (not Cine) at 5m 19s when you received the second warning that instructed you to land if repeated.
2020-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini.Since there was a crash that happened on the said drone. I would recommend you contact our support team at  https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you with regards to this matter. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2020-2-24
Use props
Eka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1293625 ft
Serbia

m80116 Posted at 2-24 06:58
Conditions: 4.0 m/s wind ground speed. 26% battery, just shy of the safe margin of 20%. Possibile air speed at 3 meters: around 8 m/s with gusts above that level.

At 3 meters above the ground just before the end you quickly input FULL left CS down for a brief moment, stopped and corrected with what I'd name the CSC of DEATH.

What's with you asnwers to all of the people who have problems with mini? All you do in every post is blaming pilots, where there's clearly fundamental problem with minis, losing altitude and dropping. Every day we see new case of uncommanded altitude loss and DJI doesn't even acknowledge they have a problem.
2020-2-24
Use props
djiuser_kMh2IHAs3PMZ
lvl.2
United States

Thank you for this detailed assessment, although I'm honestly not sure I'm following all of it. This isn't the first time I've seen the same error and honestly it is difficult to be looking at the drone and the screen at the same time.  So while I'm sure the error showed up on the screen, I likely didn't see it. And certainly not in the frequency that the log shows. Also keep in mind that when the uncontrolled descent happened, I wasn't landing it was dropping on its own with no input from me. For these very critical warnings (as it would appear this is), perhaps DJI should add a audio alert to the software/firmware to draw attention to it?

If you don't mind, a few questions:
What do you mean by a "CSC of DEATH"?
What is "mode 2" and how do I know that I'm in it?
When you say “full pitch down” are you saying I was going forward (Right stick forward)
What do you mean when you say it was "plauged" by Strong Wind Warnings, I do see that earlier in the flight, but the last time it came up was 8 mins before the crash? At the time of the crash the winds were light as I recall.
When you say “full pitch down” are you saying I was going forward (Right stick forward)

What I’m also perplexed by is while yes the error appeared a few times (relatively speaking) early in the flight, From 16m 16.3 seconds through the end of the flight, it was nearly constant.

I have seen dozens of posts of people having the same issue, including videos. Many of them occurred in calm weather conditions. In fact I myself have seen this error show up when I flew indoors without the cages.

I had prior issues where the log showed errors including that a propeller had fallen off. At that time I contacted support at that point and they told me to update the firmware, which I did. Those errors seem to have gone away.

After the crash I did some additional testing at home with both the cages on and off, outside. Looking at those logs with the cages on I did see errors but without the cages it flew fine without any errors. I do see that at some points it flew it “tripod” mode, but I haven’t a clue what that is and when I looked it up it seems to be something on other drones but I couldn’t find anything with the mavic mini.

I did submit a ticket to support and am awaiting a response. Given that there are so many reports of this happening, it seems there’s more to it than “user error”. Fortunately I was over land as I’ve seen/read of this happening over water. I’m not brave enough to fly over water and given this experience I’m not sure I will ever be.

Thank you again for taking the time. You are very well informed.
2020-2-24
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

djiuser_kMh2IHAs3PMZ Posted at 2-24 08:38
Thank you for this detailed assessment, although I'm honestly not sure I'm following all of it. This isn't the first time I've seen the same error and honestly it is difficult to be looking at the drone and the screen at the same time.  So while I'm sure the error showed up on the screen, I likely didn't see it. And certainly not in the frequency that the log shows. Also keep in mind that when the uncontrolled descent happened, I wasn't landing it was dropping on its own with no input from me. For these very critical warnings (as it would appear this is), perhaps DJI should add a audio alert to the software/firmware to draw attention to it?

I agree that sound alarm is needed to accent the importance of all warnings. Battery voltage was at 6,7 V (at the end) so AC was very likely less capable to handle windy conditions.
2020-2-24
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

virtual Posted at 2-24 09:07
I agree that sound alarm is needed to accent the importance of all warnings. Battery voltage was at 6,7 V (at the end) so AC was very likely less capable to handle windy conditions.

Yeah, given the fact that there are so many possible things/errors/conditions that could cause a crash, it would seem to make sense. I guess in the meantime I'm going to have to figure out  how to look at two things at once.
2020-2-24
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

P.S. Some Not enough force errors can be solved by replacing props. Works for some first batch fly more combos AFAIK...
2020-2-24
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

virtual Posted at 2-24 09:40
P.S. Some Not enough force errors can be solved by replacing props. Works for some first batch fly more combos AFAIK...

Are you saying I should try the replacements that came with the fly more combo or not use them.
2020-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thank you for this detailed assessment, although I'm honestly not sure I'm following all of it. This isn't the first time I've seen the same error and honestly it is difficult to be looking at the drone and the screen at the same time.  So while I'm sure the error showed up on the screen, I likely didn't see it. And certainly not in the frequency that the log shows. Also keep in mind that when the uncontrolled descent happened, I wasn't landing it was dropping on its own with no input from me. For these very critical warnings (as it would appear this is), perhaps DJI should add a audio alert to the software/firmware to draw attention to it?

I’m seeing so many completely made up reports with little or no explanations by the same guy and every time he has been ask to show any proof he has just ignored the questions, so maybe best to ignore him, he has also lost his drone but it was clearly his fault .

Mode two is stick mode 2, so if you are using left stick to go up/down and right stick Fwd/back your in stick mode 2.

Wind warnings are set pretty low, nothing to worry about and have nothing to do with this case.
Full pitch down not sure what this is full pitch forward is right stick forward .

The CSC of death, again more rubbish, preforming CSC with mini both sticks inward and down will only work on impact with something or if craft is tumbling IE if you lost a prop it will kill motors.

Your crash has been replicated by many now, it’s basically uncommanded descending, no input by controller and a definite problem being seen on a pretty regular basis around here.

You have reported so let’s see what dji have to say about this, others have tried changing props with some success, remember there are strict instructions regarding changing and attaching props, check manual.
2020-2-24
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

CHRISCTMINI Posted at 2-24 10:17
Are you saying I should try the replacements that came with the fly more combo or not use them.

Yes, change all propellers, replacements from fly more combo should work better for some users.
There's a thread "Max Power Load Reached Solution?" with video and more information.
link: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D712%26typeid%3D712
2020-2-24
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

What is the difference between baro.alt. vs sonar alt? Both are listed on the flight log.
2020-2-24
Use props
robix93
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-24 07:33
Hello and good day. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini.Since there was a crash that happened on the said drone. I would recommend you contact our support team at  https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you with regards to this matter. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.

unfortunatly Dji tells me that the drone is ok ! They don't worry about the forced landing ...

as you can see wheather was good, and also battery.

2020-2-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

CHRISCTMINI Posted at 2-24 10:51
What is the difference between baro.alt. vs sonar alt? Both are listed on the flight log.

Hiya,

Barometer altitude is measured by the barometric sensors, height indication is set to zero at takeoff.
So this height will show plus or negative numbers, reference to the height at takeoff.

VPS height is measured by a bottom sensor, range 0 - 8 meter (check the manual for specificvalue)

So if you fly from a hill to a lower ground and flying withing VPS range low over the ground you will see for example:
Minus 50 meters baro height and Plus 3 meter VPS height.

But a MM does show only baro height in the FlyApp, a MA (and other DJI drones) does show both values.In the log indeed you will find both heights.

cheers
JJB
2020-2-24
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 2-23 20:22
The Japanese version of the Mavic Mini weights in at 199 grams and uses the smaller (lighter) battery.  Everyone else gets the 2400mah batteries including the three that come with the FlyMore version.

Thank you Bob!  
2020-2-24
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

DJI is sending me a packing slip to send the drone in to be checked. I tried to be as clear as I could that the crash happened after the error (not the crash caused the error) but we'll see what they say. Fortunately it is winter here so I don't get too many nice days to fly, so being without the drone for a few weeks isn't a big issue.
2020-2-24
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

First, let me assure @djiuser_kMh2IHAs3PMZ and all others that I answer each and every one that's questioning.

I am novice pilot as well so I usually include an explanation of the acronyms and abbreviations used by the drone community.

Terms like FC, ESC, IMU should be part of our vocabulary. FC for example is the Flight Controller board, the CPU of the drone, ESC is Electronic Speed Control circuitry and IMU is the Inertial Measurement Unit, the sensing unit of motion control for the Aircraft (often abbreviated AC, as the remote is abbreviated RC and the mobile device linked to it MD). CSC is used in the MM manual as Combination Stick Command (a command with the control sticks on the remote). MM stands for Mavic Mini.

- W/ CSC of death I intended a combination of movements on the sticks that put the AC under maximum load, considering it was already maxed out as confirmed by the generous errors it was an almost inevitable instability and drop (more on this later)

- Mode 2 is the default configuration of the CS (Control Sticks) on the RC, Left stick UP/DOWN and Yaw LEFT/RIGHT (turn on itself LEFT and RIGHT), Right stick FORWARD/BACKWARDS (pitch down, pitch up) and move LEFT/RIGHT (roll LEFT and RIGHT).

I know that many warnings you see now for the first time weren't delivered but just registered for posterity, but you had already enough Wind warnings which you should not have ignored, Wind warnings are a serious business on the Mavic Mini.

To let you better understand the force a little bird like the Mini can exert some user weighted down the little creature and came up w/ numbers, the maximum pulling power from the little Mini was about 200 grams. You can even try to experience it yourself with an auto-takeoff while grabbing the Mini w/ index and thumb finger from the bottom, clear of the props (let it go after a couple of seconds). It's very little force, small wonder the wind can have a huge impact on such a low weight.

Your case wouldn't have happened if you followed the instructions (that you received) of landing and manually flying aware of the implications by the second warning, which happened much earlier in the flight. Also to notice the mode into which you operated (Cine Mode) furtherly limited the wind resistance of the Mini below the maximum nominal of 8 m/s.

Your Mini was pretty maxed out for the wind, in a short period of time you did input an instant CS down which upset the drone a little (letting it drop further down) and then used LEFT Control Stick UP and RIGHT Control Stick UP.

To let you better undestand what happens when the drone moves forward just start the motors while landed and use the Right CS. For the pitch down (forward motion) the FC reduces the front motors performance and increases the rear ones.

In case the system is maxed out by the wind, as the numerous warnings suggest, and in this case with very little instant power headroom if at all (since the batteries were quite down on their way) the rear motors should have increased their rpms.

In this case as in other cases the missing lift generated by the front propellers caused the front to pich down (thus forward moving) but the rears couldn't keep up with the speed required and the drone dipped too much.

My theory as shown in other cases is that eventually the drop stabilizes once the motors spin up fully and FC balances it out, but under intense frontal winds with a partially reduced lift on the frontal axis and maxed out rear the overall lift is compromised and the drone descends gradually while gaining little speed or being blown backwards.

To maintain height the best strategy is to not pitch or roll the drone, no Left stick control, althought this causes a drift in the wind. Unfortunately there's no cure for a blown in the wind drone if not DON'T BE THERE... so one should carefully choose calm wind days (checking for wind at height not ground and for gusts) and possibly fly first against the wind, follow rigorously the wind warnings (especially when they instruct you to land) and never with a close to the safety level of 20% battery (where power delivery isn't up to its best).

I hope this helps you identify the conditions that led to your crash landing after 13 minutes from the second user warning that instructed you to land.

2020-2-24
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

djiuser_4na1HcrXeaJ3 Posted at 2-24 01:27
HI,

I had the same error, and I send my drone to Dji, but they tell me it is all ok ! I crash my drone cause this error and I had a bad forced landing.... My mavic mini it is really unreliable and I didn't want to pay for a replace cause it is a problem of my model for sure.....

I had this esc error since I upgraded to .0400 firmaware. I have downgraded to .0300 using the DJI Asssitant and no more errors were shown. Then I did the following:

1. Upgrade the MM to firmware .0400 with one battery using the DJI Assistant.
2. Remove the battery and replace with the second.
3. Refresh the firmware.
4. Remove the battery and replace with the third.
5. Refresh the firmware.
6. Refresh the firmware of the controller with the DJI Assistant.

Now I have flown for more than 1 hour without any ESC error.
2020-2-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thank you for this detailed assessment, although I'm honestly not sure I'm following all of it. This isn't the first time I've seen the same error and honestly it is difficult to be looking at the drone and the screen at the same time.  So while I'm sure the error showed up on the screen, I likely didn't see it. And certainly not in the frequency that the log shows. Also keep in mind that when the uncontrolled descent happened, I wasn't landing it was dropping on its own with no input from me. For these very critical warnings (as it would appear this is), perhaps DJI should add a audio alert to the software/firmware to draw attention to it?

Thank you for this detailed assessment, although I'm honestly not sure I'm following all of it.
. . .
Thank you again for taking the time. You are very well informed.

In fact, he's not at all well informed.
He has very little idea of what's going on and makes stuff up.
Ignoring what he's told you is probably the best thing to do..
2020-2-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

You have really gone over the top with this assessment.
It's complete nonsense and very little is at all true.

If that was true, how do you explain the flight data at 8:32, when the Mini is 71 metres up and hovering that it's able to hold position?

That's not the CSC of anything.
CSC has a particular meaning and if you go to the bottom of p38 of the Mini manual, you can see and read about what CSC really is (and it's not pushing both joysticks forward).
All that does is to make the drone go forward and climb at the same time (if it's not a Mini plagued by another uncommanded descent).

For a Mini in those conditions, in a flight plagued with Strong Wind Warnings and Not Enough Force errors (which should have told you something) , possibly actively undergoing wind gusts above 8 m/s (which is beyond the design limit) and during CineMode (which has 4 m/s max speed, and a 1 m/s vertical) you did that CSC.
For a new flyer, puzzled by a drone plagued by uncommanded descent problems, the nonsense you are offering is confusing and very wrong.
You really shouldn't be offering advice until you can read flight data and actually understand how drones work.

2020-2-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

robix93 Posted at 2-24 11:00
unfortunatly Dji tells me that the drone is ok ! They don't worry about the forced landing ...

as you can see wheather was good, and also battery.
That reply was to the wrong user
2020-2-24
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The fix is to get a better drone.  The Mavic Mini performance isn't suffice everywhere as they use less torquey motors to stay under the 250g regulation limit.  If you fly under conditions in which the Mini cannot perform, you are f* when it fails.

If they just put the Mini camera in the Spark body, we would be good.
2020-2-24
Use props
robix93
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2-24 23:12
That advice is very wrong.
Tell DJI to look at the flight data again because it clearly shows a real problem.

this is my Airdata Log : https://app.airdata.com/flight/daf3a95f3c64a5b4035ef1ba5a3f35e5/GENERALNotifications

I'm really disappointed about how dji handled my case....

I just send another mail tu support service, asking to talk with some administrative manager.
2020-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Here's a more accurate assessment for you.
From 17:46 to 17:55, your Mini should have been hovering and maintaining its height.
Instead, it descended from 46 to 25 metres.
Losing 21 metres in 10 seconds while hovering is not normal at all.

The uncommanded descent began again at 18:09.
The Mini kept losing height even when you gave it full throttle at 18:10.4.

This is a dangerous fault that needs fixing.

2020-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

robix93 Posted at 2-25 03:03
this is my Airdata Log : https://app.airdata.com/flight/daf3a95f3c64a5b4035ef1ba5a3f35e5/GENERALNotifications

I'm really disappointed about how dji handled my case....

The previous post was for someone else.
This is for your flight.
Your flight data looks like this:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/PM0SMF8EKXUIK5T56UHX/

Your drone started its uncommanded descent at 5:10 when it started coming down from 49 ft with the left stick centred and it came down to 38 ft..
There was a short reprieve after a bit of left stick up but the uncommanded descent started again at  5:17.4.
Left stick up from 5:18.3 failed to stop the descent which continued to the end of the flight.

2020-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2-24 23:17
The fix is to get a better drone.  The Mavic Mini performance isn't suffice everywhere as they use less torquey motors to stay under the 250g regulation limit.  If you fly under conditions in which the Mini cannot perform, you are f* when it fails.

If they just put the Mini camera in the Spark body, we would be good.

The fix is to get a better drone.  The Mavic Mini performance isn't suffice everywhere as they use less torquey motors to stay under the 250g regulation limit.  If you fly under conditions in which the Mini cannot perform ....

The Mini isn't the most powerful drone but it should still be able to hold altitude.
If the problem was due to weak , none of them would fly.
There's a huge difference between a properly working Mini and a Mini that can't hold altitude because of a serious fault.
2020-2-25
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-25 03:48
The fix is to get a better drone.  The Mavic Mini performance isn't suffice everywhere as they use less torquey motors to stay under the 250g regulation limit.  If you fly under conditions in which the Mini cannot perform ....

The Mini isn't the most powerful drone but it should still be able to hold altitude.

All DJI drones will not exceed the attitude limit set on Python? or w/e the coding variable structure is for it to know.  That number has to change so you can get more forward flight speed.  I was flying the Inspire 1 like a beast when I set it to something high.  It got to 65mph+ in no time versus the default setting.  My Spark is modded which is why it performed so well on the 55mph wind gust video.  It doesn't mean the idea is to fly at the absolute limits throughout the whole flight, it just means that when you Need the capability to exist, it can do it w/o issue.

There are many many factors it could be presented with and at default Spark settings... (besides Sport), Spark normal mode with OA on, it's mega mega slow.
2020-2-25
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone. I have a case with DJI and will be sending in the drone for a look. Unfortunately I had no luck getting DJI Assistant 2 to recognize the drone on multiple computers using multiple cables. Mac, PC, didn't matter. So downgrading the upgrading the firmware isn't an option unless I can get it to recognize the drone. Either way I had this issue with the earlier firmware (the error, not a crash) and DJI said to upgrade the firmware. I have seen other people mention the downgrade and upgrade as a possible solution.

I'm not (yet?) in the market for a more expensive drone so I'd really like to see this resolved. Generally speaking I've been very happy with this drone.

I totally understand the fact that wind played a factor earlier in the flight, but at the point of the crash there was little to no wind and I was only 13 feet off the ground. To the earlier point, it is clear the drone dropped twice uncontrolled, the second time resulting in the crash.

I should mention that after the crash I took the drone home and did some addition test flights. With the prop guards on and payload mode on, the same errors occurred. With the prop guards off, I couldn't replicate the error.

I'm no expert but given that this error and reported crashes are all over the internet it seems to be an issue that DJI needs to resolve. Some users have reported fixing it by downgrading and upgrading the firmware, others have reported changing out the props have solved it.

I'll keep everyone posted on what DJI says.
2020-2-25
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

I am really wondering how I got 3 downvotes in a matter of hours being the only one that spent part his free time explaining what had become reality.

Really thinking about it... is it knowledge from a novice really that threatening or is the primacy of IGNORANCE and ARROGANCE that important for some ? But meh... I'll deal with it, it's the kind of people that when I came here asking for help they immediately pointed out: you're an IDxxT you flew your Mini in a wind storm and you crashed because of the wind and you lost connection because IDxxTs ground the antennas.

Well guess what... it turns out I had video evidence of perfectly straight plumes of smoke from the chimneys, and the RC is still having problems with my 2nd drone randomly disconnecting from the MD.
To better completion: I have the same ESC Errors flying in moderate in winds with 30% battery, and I feel the drone isn't happy, it already it turned itself sideways from standing still because of this. Battery and motors are maxed out. My props still have the correct shape. But I knew what I wask risking... I was taking a picture over a hill so deemed to take the risk, it went well, 3 meters from the ground meant a certain crash.

2020-2-25
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

I personally appreciate all the opinions and assessments of the flight log. I'm no expert at all, obviously. What I'm seeing though is a situation where my drone has been plagued with this error under multiple conditions, not just on this particular flight. When I first discovered this issue (errors, no crash) and started researching it, the conditions were quite different. DJI suggested an upgrade to the firmware which seemed to have worked at first but clearly wasn't a "permanent" fix.

Here's one such example where the flight log told me a propeller had fallen off (2nd flight)
https://app.airdata.com/flight/130658e434678bfe76d6563ef0011ae5/GENERALNotifications

Another with tons of errors, no wind warnings at all (same day, 2 hours later)
https://app.airdata.com/flight/750f58a9cf831ad87673c687e9aafce1/GENERALNotifications

And one with a whole lot of the same error. This was when I first learned of Flight logs and airdata and was able to see how frequent I was getting this error.
https://app.airdata.com/flight/a659d931ef757ecf96d561bdadb09e75/GENERALNotifications

m80116 if I'm reading your last post correctly, you experienced the ESC error flying in "moderate" winds as evident by smoke coming out of a smoke stack? So wind didn't play a factor in your opinion in your  example?

Like any set of experiments unless you can isolate just one variable and change it, it is impossible to determine what the fix is. My hope is that DJI will have an answer, although from previous posts I'm not terribly hopeful.

Please, let's keep this civil and friendly. I've seen so many forum discussions devolve into personal insults and attacks when all everyone is trying to do is help and share their opinions and experience.
2020-2-25
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-24 11:25
Hiya,

Barometer altitude is measured by the barometric sensors, height indication is set to zero at takeoff.

I just am seeing this response. is VPS height the sonar height? In one flight I was seeing negative barometer altitude (as much as negative 4 feet) which is odd because I was flying over a football field which is level.

So if I'm reading your explanation correctly how could I have flown 4 feet lower than my takeoff height when I was flying over a perfectly level surface (minus the "crown" of the field which is certainly not 4 feet higher than the sidelines)?
2020-2-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

CHRISCTMINI Posted at 2-25 07:45
I just am seeing this response. is VPS height the sonar height? In one flight I was seeing negative barometer altitude (as much as negative 4 feet) which is odd because I was flying over a football field which is level.

So if I'm reading your explanation correctly how could I have flown 4 feet lower than my takeoff height when I was flying over a perfectly level surface (minus the "crown" of the field which is certainly not 4 feet higher than the sidelines)?

Yes VPS height is sonar height

Baro sensor is not always that accurate, so if you start it will show zero feet, fly up to 400 feet and return to your start point and level. Not always do you see zero feet again, sometimes bit more, sometimes less.

If you hand launch than that height level is your reference zero, fly lower than your hand and you will see negative numbers too.

cheers
JJB
2020-2-25
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

Ok, makes sense. I had it backwards in my mind. Learning a lot here.
2020-2-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

CHRISCTMINI Posted at 2-25 08:18

I always fly with a screen recorder active, good to see after a flight what the flyapp told me while watching the drone.

About learning: checking and understanding your logs, you can try this>

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=203659

Many happy landings,
cheers
JJB
2020-2-25
Use props
CHRISCTMINI
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-25 08:37
I always fly with a screen recorder active, good to see after a flight what the flyapp told me while watching the drone.

About learning: checking and understanding your logs, you can try this>

Great suggestion, thank you!
2020-2-25
Use props
grahamjohnson10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

CHRISCTMINI Posted at 2-25 08:18

Please could you upload the .DAT file and share the link.
2020-2-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules