Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Emergency landing - 60% to 0% of battery in one moment.
2053 21 2020-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trapez
lvl.3

Poland

It was a little windy and foggy day. I took a couple of photos and was about to go back. Suddenly there was 0% and critical landing from about 60%. Watching flight record it turned out there was one cell which drained too fast.
Flight record: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NF3GLXPKVJUI7UCY3NKK/

So my question is, this can happen when you fly in spite of the wind and last cell is treated badly so, battery with 50+ cycles can have this asymetric unload?

2019-12-19 DJI_0800_1_2_3_4_easyHDR-Moje 01 25%.jpg
2020-2-23
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Hi Trapez ! the mavic mini batteries can plummet in strong wind situations, that's my experience
2020-2-23
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Beautiful shot !!
2020-2-23
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Suddenly there was 0% and critical landing from about 60%. Watching flight record it turned out there was one cell which drained too fast.
So my question is, this can happen when you fly in spite of the wind and last cell is treated badly so, battery with 50+ cycles can have this asymetric unload?

You never had 60% battery.
You launched with a partially discharged battery  which will cause the % indicator to give a false reading.
The very low voltages tell the story.
You were at critically low level about a minute after launch.

You should only launch with a fully charged battery.
2020-2-24
Use props
Trapez
lvl.3

Poland

Looks like the report gives wrong information about the whole discharging and only separate cell is ok. There was 100% at the beginning  was going down normal way and suddenly there was 0% because of third cell.
Is there a way to increase, I don't know, information level or something? Now, I'm checking battery details from time to time in order to avoit such situation.
2020-2-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-24 01:25
Suddenly there was 0% and critical landing from about 60%. Watching flight record it turned out there was one cell which drained too fast.

That is terrible, though, should be recommended practice.  I have flown with less that 100%, though it wasn't really far.  The terrible part, is that you may just need to fly for a few minutes, that 60% would definitely be ample for.  The inaccurate battery level reading is definitely a legit issue, as you can easily be misguided by false information, thus directly impacting your flight plan and operations.
2020-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Trapez. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please refresh the firmware of your DJI Mavic Air and see if the issue will still persist? In addition, this issue was due to battery communication is not working properly. I would recommend checking the pins on the battery as well on the aircraft if it has damage. If none, you may clean the pins using the dry soft brush to check if there will be changes or if you would encounter this error message again. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support and fly safe always.
2020-2-24
Use props
Trapez
lvl.3

Poland

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-24 09:00
Hello and good day Trapez. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please refresh the firmware of your DJI Mavic Air and see if the issue will still persist? In addition, this issue was due to battery communication is not working properly. I would recommend checking the pins on the battery as well on the aircraft if it has damage. If none, you may clean the pins using the dry soft brush to check if there will be changes or if you would encounter this error message again. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support and fly safe always.

Hi, thanks for your response.
I have 5 batteries and only this one has this assymetry when discharging, especially in rapid movements.
The other 4 behaves in normal way. This 65% is only in this report and during the fly, I saw normal discharging from 90 something percent down.
The problem is, there was no warning about to high cell deviation and too much discharge in one of them. So I think you should add warning when this happens. It's not my first experience with LiPo batteries, so I understand it can happen.
2020-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Trapez Posted at 2-24 09:39
Hi, thanks for your response.
I have 5 batteries and only this one has this assymetry when discharging, especially in rapid movements.
The other 4 behaves in normal way. This 65% is only in this report and during the fly, I saw normal discharging from 90 something percent down.

Thank you for sharing this additional information you have shared with us. I will cascade this information to to designated DJI department for further attention. Again thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-2-25
Use props
Ulysses
Second Officer
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

I find funny guys here always trying to blame the user or another external factor for this battery problem with Mavic Air. It is happening all over with Air owners. I had all 3 batteries of my fly more combo with this sudden drop midflight. The third one happened last week. Its happening all over and how come you guys dont see it and connect the dots? It surely is a design flaw but DJI remains silent about acknowledging that. Now Im always afraid to fly but sometimes I need to because its a job. I will reply this same message to all other 2 topics I read today. There were 2 from me from the first 2 batteries and a lot more from other users. DJI needs to do something as they sold us a product promising it was safe. And it would be if there wasnt this battery problem happening all of a sudden, no sign, no message, no physical damage to the battery.
2020-3-5
Use props
Trapez
lvl.3

Poland

Ulysses Posted at 3-5 03:17
I find funny guys here always trying to blame the user or another external factor for this battery problem with Mavic Air. It is happening all over with Air owners. I had all 3 batteries of my fly more combo with this sudden drop midflight. The third one happened last week. Its happening all over and how come you guys dont see it and connect the dots? It surely is a design flaw but DJI remains silent about acknowledging that. Now Im always afraid to fly but sometimes I need to because its a job. I will reply this same message to all other 2 topics I read today. There were 2 from me from the first 2 batteries and a lot more from other users. DJI needs to do something as they sold us a product promising it was safe. And it would be if there wasnt this battery problem happening all of a sudden, no sign, no message, no physical damage to the battery.

It's not a surprise for me batteries losing performance through time.
But DJI should add additional warning. Without changing the interface, other colors on the battery icon/indicator, should be a good help to warn user.
2020-3-6
Use props
Ulysses
Second Officer
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

Yes. Thats my main complain. It is expected to replace the batteries from time to time. But before that we should see signs of it degrading like considerable less flight time, bulging, not completely charging and software warnings prior to failure. The way it is now is a timebomb. I see its happening now with the first owners who has it for the longest time. Seems late owners are gradually joing the team like these batteries will fail after something like 2 years after manufacturing no matter how used they are.
2020-3-9
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Great photo. We’re you able to land safely? Or did it hit 0% and shut down and drop?  Forgive me if you said this already .
2020-3-9
Use props
Trapez
lvl.3

Poland

GroTToFlyeR Posted at 3-9 13:42
Great photo. We’re you able to land safely? Or did it hit 0% and shut down and drop?  Forgive me if you said this already .

Thx, maybe you asked but I forgot to answer. Yes, I was able to land safely but it was above the forest and closest open terrain was in some kind of restricted area. So I've had some problems to take my drone back.
In other worlds, the drone started landing and only thing I could do, was to choose a place to land.
2020-3-13
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Trapez Posted at 3-13 08:28
Thx, maybe you asked but I forgot to answer. Yes, I was able to land safely but it was above the forest and closest open terrain was in some kind of restricted area. So I've had some problems to take my drone back.
In other worlds, the drone started landing and only thing I could do, was to choose a place to land.

Ahhhh. Ok I’m glad to hear you landed safely and avoid damage.  Glad you were able to eventually retrieve it as well.
2020-3-14
Use props
djiuser_fYy1BVNU8l9a
lvl.1

Portugal

I had the same problem. Battery was looking fine until mid flight and then suddenly dropped to 0% and it decided to land on water with no option to cancel. The drone should stop emergency landing at 1meter or so and give you the option of control. DJI didn't take any responsibility on this.
I have the flight record on YouTube /ovBGieoCy-Q
2021-1-3
Use props
djiuser_H2zbmMWBxk4A
New

Ukraine

I have exactly the same case(
The battery was charged about 65% and I went about 17m high and suddenly it said 0% of battery and it went down too fast, bumped to the ground jumped a little bit and bumped 2nd time then it went north from the ground about 3m ... and I could not turn it off, then propellers stopped
2021-2-2
Use props
JohnLietzke
Captain
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I agree, there need to be some warning that the battery health is no longer good.  But not in the predatory sense that typically happens in the corporate model of business.

An advisement that the battery health is deteriorating would be a really good feature in yellow then progress to orange as the health gets worse and finally red when it is not safe to use.

At a point where the battery is not capable of reasonable flight performance I would not be opposed to restricting.  takeoff.
2021-2-2
Use props
John_in_NC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4360 ft
United States

This just happened to me, fortunately I managed to get it back in time by fighting the landing. I played back the log went from 93,92,90 within 15 seconds then BAM went right to 0 and started landing.
This is not ok, especially when I am liable for this POS.  I need to know what the deal is
2023-12-30
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

John_in_NC Posted at 12-30 14:33
This just happened to me, fortunately I managed to get it back in time by fighting the landing. I played back the log went from 93,92,90 within 15 seconds then BAM went right to 0 and started landing.
This is not ok, especially when I am liable for this POS.  I need to know what the deal is

The deal is that you need to have a freshly charged battery every time you fly.
It sounds like yours had been sitting around discharging and the % indicator gave you a false idea of the strength of the battery.
Either that or your battery is shot.
The actual cell voltages are what's important - not the % showing on your screen.

If you post the recorded flight data, that will help determine which.
2023-12-30
Use props
John_in_NC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4360 ft
United States

Mine does it and it is repeatable. I charge to 100% let it go and at any random level it will drop to 0 and land. I just confirmed it again today. Charged it to 100%, took off, when it got to about 37% it suddenly went to zero and landed. The time before that it was at 94% and then went to zero and landed.
I am going to test my other batteries now.
Other batteries fine get a low batter at 25%
how do I upload the flight log from my phone?
1-15 11:29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

John_in_NC Posted at 1-15 11:29
Mine does it and it is repeatable. I charge to 100% let it go and at any random level it will drop to 0 and land. I just confirmed it again today. Charged it to 100%, took off, when it got to about 37% it suddenly went to zero and landed. The time before that it was at 94% and then went to zero and landed.
I am going to test my other batteries now.
Other batteries fine get a low batter at 25%

how do I upload the flight log from my phone?

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
Follow those and you will get a summary report.
You can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

If your drone uses DJI Fly, you'll find the file on your phone at:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord
1-15 15:01
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules