Mavic Mini Dropped into sea (Uncontrolled Descent/Max Power Error)
123Next >
6879 85 2020-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

It's not my Mavic Mini but this poor chap flew up to 80m before then turning back into the wind to return, at which point he suffered the 'Max Power' error - he then eventually descended but then the drone decided to do an uncontrolled descent straight into the water, there was no indication of low/critical battery auto-landing and so this looks distinctly like a firmware defect/issue.

2020-2-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video. But i don`t think the wind was that strong at all.  Shielded area by mountains. nah  too far away and not that high.
Is it possible to have this flightrecord on here?

Do i understand it correcly that a 100% battery has more power that a 66% battery ?  Power in the meaning of output power to use?  not duration of flight?So from a 100% batt you can draw more amps than from a 66% battery ?

Zigzag moving towards home mean longer distance to fly and doesn`t help really i think, all the power usage need for a direct flight is the same for zig zag flight, as less power / more time = total power needed.

cheers
JJB

2020-2-25
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 2-25 07:22
Nice video. But i don`t think the wind was that strong at all.  Shielded area by mountains. nah  too far away and not that high.
Is it possible to have this flightrecord on here?

The ground wind on the day was apparently around 15kph, which means that up at 80m the wind would inevitably be stronger, plus more gusty due to those mountains and hills over which that wind was travelling.

A fully charged battery does indeed give more ampage initially than a partially charged battery, so while the voltage is the same, the amps decrease as the battery depletes.

Zigzag motion DOES help, we use a similar tactic when paramotoring to get through stronger wind because you end up with more forward speed to help break through the wind, yes it of course requires travelling more ground (effectively) but better that than not moving or making any progress at all.
2020-2-25
Use props
fans39476647
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

I posted this myself earlier today. I believe that this error comes from a defective battery firmware upgrade using the DJI Fly app.

I did the following to solve the error:

1. Upgrade the MM to firmware .0400 with one battery using the DJI Assistant.
2. Remove the battery and replace with the second.
3. Refresh the firmware.
4. Remove the battery and replace with the third.
5. Refresh the firmware.
6. Refresh the firmware of the controller with the DJI Assistant.

Now I have flown for more than 1 hour without any ESC error.
2020-2-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

sergeant Posted at 2-25 07:48
The ground wind on the day was apparently around 15kph, which means that up at 80m the wind would inevitably be stronger, plus more gusty due to those mountains and hills over which that wind was travelling.

A fully charged battery does indeed give more ampage initially than a partially charged battery, so while the voltage is the same, the amps decrease as the battery depletes.

Interesting thoughts.

But with a good battery voltage drops linear to 3.2 volts on a MM.
My MA draws the same amps at 100% batt and at 30% in the same flight condition, sometimes more as power needed is voltage * amps.
[ with a good batt : with less voltage you draw more amps to get the same needed power ]Mayby the type of MM battery makes a difference.

Paramotoring is different as long as you have enough fuel on board. So still in doubt but not important. ;-)

cheers
JJB

BattDropMyMM.png
2020-2-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I agree with much you say and common sense and some practical planning will always help, in someways Pilot was to blame, but he is also depending on his craft to do what it should do.
You didn’t have an explanation for uncontrolled descent and neither does anyone , certainly around here, and if there is some way of avoiding this it beholds dji to come forward and tell mini users, standing idly by while drones are falling from the sky with no explanation is pretty ignorant by dji .
How long are they going to wait, are they going to replace drones falling, are they going to advise best practices for mini users, many questions for dji, but very few answers .
2020-2-25
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

JJB* Posted at 2-25 07:22
Is it possible to have this flightrecord on here?

Do i understand it correcly that a 100% battery has more power that a 66% battery ?  Power in the meaning of output power to use?  not duration of flight?So from a 100% batt you can draw more amps than from a 66% battery ?

There's voltage of a cell (2 cells in MM battery pack) and KV rating of motor which says how many RPMs motor does per Volt. Voltage of the cell drops through discharge cycle, so fresh (recharged) MM battery has over 8 Volts (charging stops at 4,2V/cell), but partly discharched battery can have barely 7 Volts. That means You lose 1/8th of max RPMs at full throttle.
I'm not expert in drones electronics (it's different from RC planes or RC cars) but it definitevely affects flight performance, especially in challenging situations.
2020-2-25
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Czechia

JJB* Posted at 2-25 08:10
Interesting thoughts.

But with a good battery voltage drops linear to 3.2 volts on a MM.

My MA draws the same amps at 100% batt and at 30% in the same flight condition

There's energy needed to operate motors, gimbal camera, aerial electronic system, SD card slot, sensors, that blinking led ect. That is the Amp draw. As the motors and camera gimbal are always on, the draw doesn't vary that much during the flight.
Everything except motor is povered by BEC power circuit with constant voltage (performance of sensor or reciever can not fade with battery voltage). Speed controller sends battery energy directly to motor (and this way can regulate RPMs), that's why motor performance can fade with battery voltage.
For the safety reason, battery must be able to handle max current draw that AC asks, from the beginning to the end of the discharge cycle. It is called C rating of battery cell (how many Amps can supply) and it is usually X times higher than max current needed by AC.
2020-2-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

virtual Posted at 2-25 10:49
My MA draws the same amps at 100% batt and at 30% in the same flight condition

There's energy needed to operate motors, gimbal camera, aerial electronic system, SD card slot, sensors, that blinking led ect. That is the Amp draw. As the motors and camera gimbal are always on, the draw doesn't vary that much during the flight.

oke, but it is weird to think that max power draw by the motors, is so that it is always less than the max amps possible at low batt voltage?  So never ever will a low battery hamper the flight under normal to normal limit flight conditions??

Flight operations within normal enveloppe is not limited by battery voltage....well  i never read a warning like 'be carefull, under xx batt % you cannot fly safe in normal flight conditions"

cheers
JJB
2020-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day sergeant. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this video on tips on how to avoid this incident. In addition, once you have encountered an error code 30168 or "aircraft power insignificant" on your DJI Fly application. There are two situations why this issue is happening.The first one is that the drone is flying with full power under the sport mode and encounter the headwind, the second is that the said drone is flying with full power with installing the propeller guard. Again great find and please fly safe everyone.
2020-2-25
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-25 12:07
There are two situations why this issue is happening.The first one is that the drone is flying with full power under the sport mode and encounter the headwind, the second is that the said drone is flying with full power with installing the propeller guard. Again great find and please fly safe everyone.

You forgot the third situation, where this message comes up apparently for no reason and then the drone decides to descent without the pilot being able to stop it. But sure, by all means, keep pretending everything is fine and there isn't a new report of this exact issue on this forum every single day. It's not like knowing your drone could fall out of the sky at any time is a big deal.
I think it's appalling the way DJI is simply ignoring everybody instead of honestly saying "look guys, there's an issue, we're actively investigating it, send any relevant flight logs our way, thanks for understanding".

2020-2-25
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-25 12:07
Hello and good day sergeant. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this video on tips on how to avoid this incident. In addition, once you have encountered an error code 30168 or "aircraft power insignificant" on your DJI Fly application. There are two situations why this issue is happening.The first one is that the drone is flying with full power under the sport mode and encounter the headwind, the second is that the said drone is flying with full power with installing the propeller guard. Again great find and please fly safe everyone.

DJI Stephen thanks for the reply! However could you explain why in this case the Mavic Mini descended without any reason or justification? This part wasn't operator error, the drone didn't indicate low battery or auto landing.
2020-2-25
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I think the video makes a big mashup of two distinct problems.

- The uncommanded descent happening because of temporary variance in altitude registered by the barometric sensor (sudden change in air-speed around the drone body).

- The uncontrolled descent happening because the aircraft is maxed out (Not Enough Force errors) while going forward.

I feel they're trying to address the second issue alone here. Concerning battery usage I am 100% positive the Mini is adjusting using logics to use the battery to its full extent, increasing the Amp draw when the Voltage drops down, but there's so little room in such a small battery pack configuration that you can't make miracles with it, below a certain threshold it can't just deliver and you're being warned with ESC errors and Restriction notices.
2020-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JJB* Posted at 2-25 08:10
Interesting thoughts.

But with a good battery voltage drops linear to 3.2 volts on a MM.

The percentage values used to describe the state of charge of a battery are artificial values, there is no technique that can directly measure trhe quantity of charge in a battery. The only way to do this is by measuring the quantity of charge delivered to the battery and then measuring the quantity of charge that is drawn from the battery, and it is not particularly precise.

Modern high performance batteries will deliver the same amount of power until the battery is almost exhausted, but it is not necessarily the same current in amperes. As the battery depletes, the terminal voltage under load drops quite slowly, but the current can still be within a few milli-amperes of what was being consumed at full charge. When the battery is exhausted, ie 'flat', the power output shuts off in a very short time. This is not a good thing to have happen, so in modern battery systems it has become commonplace to monitor the quantum of charge, going into the battery or being withdrawn. That is exactly why the DJI batteries employ an intelligent system to manage the batteries, it is this intelligence that is monitoring the charge and also controlling the charge and discharge process.

Most people are not really technically savvy, so they need something like the fuel gauge in a car to tell them how "full" the battery is, and this is why manufacturers go to the trouble of making the battery look like a tank and provide the equivalent of a fuel gauge. But it is not a precise science and many technical factors conspire to make the percentage battery figure somewhat less than accurate. Those that understand this treat the percentage value as a guide, not an absolute thing. Unfortunately, a lot more people treat the values as absolute, then are surprised when their aircraft falls out of the sky when the battery says it is at 20% capacity.
2020-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

sergeant Posted at 2-25 07:48

To properly comment on that particular flight, you really need to investigate the flight data rather than a bit of video
However there are a few misunderstandings that should be cleared up.

The wind at ground level was near calm as can be seen from the water surface.

You've not picked up that launching with a partially discharged battery gives a false % indication.
But when you fly with a fully charged battery, the drone can fly and climb just as fast at 30% as it can at 100%.

Zigzag motion DOES help, we use a similar tactic when paramotoring to get through stronger wind because you end up with more forward speed to help break through the wind, yes it of course requires travelling more ground (effectively) but better that than not moving or making any progress at all.
That's just wrong.
Zigzaging across a wind that's too strong to fly against, just exposes the drone to that wind for longer as you try to fly a significantly greated distance and using more battery.
It's going to result in the loss of a drone if you are fighting a headwind to get back to land from out at sea.

2020-2-25
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 2-25 15:22
To properly comment on that particular flight, you really need to investigate the flight data rather than a bit of video
However there are a few misunderstandings that should be cleared up.

The ground-level wind was indeed VISUALLY calm, but a constant breeze can give the effect that all is calm when looking visually at objects. More importantly, clearly wind at higher altitude (85m up) can be very different, wind-sheer comes in to play and often surprises drone operators.

Yes a drone can ascend at the same rate with a half-charged battery in comparison to fully-charged, but once you load that quadcopter with elements such as wind, you increase load and therefore ampage. Ampage and voltage is higher in a more charged battery than a battery which is half depleted.

In regards to zigzagging, you're welcome to your opinion but we'll have to agree to disagree.
Until DJI fully investigate this and conclude on the issue and cause, these uncontrolled descents will keep happening. I do hope that they find a solution soon to avoid further loss of consumer's drones.
2020-2-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 2-25 15:09
The percentage values used to describe the state of charge of a battery are artificial values, there is no technique that can directly measure trhe quantity of charge in a battery. The only way to do this is by measuring the quantity of charge delivered to the battery and then measuring the quantity of charge that is drawn from the battery, and it is not particularly precise.

Modern high performance batteries will deliver the same amount of power until the battery is almost exhausted, but it is not necessarily the same current in amperes. As the battery depletes, the terminal voltage under load drops quite slowly, but the current can still be within a few milli-amperes of what was being consumed at full charge. When the battery is exhausted, ie 'flat', the power output shuts off in a very short time. This is not a good thing to have happen, so in modern battery systems it has become commonplace to monitor the quantum of charge, going into the battery or being withdrawn. That is exactly why the DJI batteries employ an intelligent system to manage the batteries, it is this intelligence that is monitoring the charge and also controlling the charge and discharge process.

I, as a well tech not-savvy engineer, will be surprised too when my MM drops out of the sky at 20% battery.  DJI sets the critical batt value to 5 %....
I hope that DJI engineered the MM such that the max amp needed in normal flight situations can be deliverd by the 2 cell battery up to its critical value.
If not each flight will be a gamble...[ best ofcourse to land > 20%, but not beacuse of this gamble ]
cheers
JJB

2020-2-26
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Czechia

JJB* Posted at 2-25 11:40
oke, but it is weird to think that max power draw by the motors, is so that it is always less than the max amps possible at low batt voltage?  So never ever will a low battery hamper the flight under normal to normal limit flight conditions??

Flight operations within normal enveloppe is not limited by battery voltage....well  i never read a warning like 'be carefull, under xx batt % you cannot fly safe in normal flight conditions"

Max current draw (Ampers) of motor is reached at max RPMs (revolution per minute), and RPMs depend on battery voltage, as at 100% level can ESC power the motor by 8+ Volts at full throttle command (more revs) but at 30% only by 7 V (less revs). I suppose that there can be a barely noticeable difference in S-mode full stick ascend at 100% battery level (faster) and at 30% battery level (aprox by 10% slower). But in most situations lower RPMs are used by aerial electronic system (BTW for the lower power consumption and therefore longer flight time) so the impact of lower battery voltage is low as well. But no doubt it is better to fight the strong wind with fresh and full battery than at 20% battery level recharged 3 weeks ago...
2020-2-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sergeant Posted at 2-26 02:01
The ground-level wind was indeed VISUALLY calm, but a constant breeze can give the effect that all is calm when looking visually at objects. More importantly, clearly wind at higher altitude (85m up) can be very different, wind-sheer comes in to play and often surprises drone operators.

Yes a drone can ascend at the same rate with a half-charged battery in comparison to fully-charged, but once you load that quadcopter with elements such as wind, you increase load and therefore ampage. Ampage and voltage is higher in a more charged battery than a battery which is half depleted.
The ground-level wind was indeed VISUALLY calm, but a constant breeze can give the effect that all is calm when looking visually at objects.

Sounds like you've never heard of the Beaufort Scale, particularly a way of assessing wind speed by the appearance of the sea surface.
Have a look here: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale
... particularly the column marked What the Sea Surface Looks Like.

More importantly, clearly wind at higher altitude (85m up) can be very different, wind-sheer comes in to play and often surprises drone operators.
I'm well aware that upper level winds are generally higher than wind at ground level.
I'd expect on a day when surface winds are very light, that the wind 200 feet up probably won't be very strong.
But without seeing actual flight data, we can't say for surewith any certainty what the wind up there was doing.

A DJI drone runs just as well with the battery down at 30% as it did at 100%.
It flies just as fast in still air and a headwind will still have the same effect on the battery at the start of the flight as at the end.
Test it yourself sometime.

In regards to zigzagging, you're welcome to your opinion but we'll have to agree to disagree.
You couldn't be more wrong on this one.
Find yourself in a headwind that you can't make headway against and zigzaging will not help you to get home.
Zigzaging will just waste battery without making progress toward home.
Again, I'd suggest you try it for yourself sometime.

Until DJI fully investigate this and conclude on the issue and cause, these uncontrolled descents will keep happening. I do hope that they find a solution soon to avoid further loss of consumer's drones.
I agree that the uncommanded descent problem is a serious one.
Too many have been lost already and reports of more come in each day.
The problem has been well known for a month now but DJI have made no comment.
The Mavic Mini is not safe to fly.
They have really dropped the ball on this one.

2020-2-26
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Honestly, while it's sad when anyone loses a Mini, this video seems to be a LOT of speculation and little actual info. The graphics shown are not actual screenshots so we don't actually know if that's what happened.

The wrap-up at the end, and the propeller advice were good though. I have NEVER had the max power issue but I think that is largely because I damaged my props on my second flight and swapped them out with some after-market props. Haven't had this issue EVER.

Oh and props are cheap, if one id damaged, I replace all 8.

My $.02,
Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-26
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Cal Evans Posted at 2-26 04:36
Honestly, while it's sad when anyone loses a Mini, this video seems to be a LOT of speculation and little actual info. The graphics shown are not actual screenshots so we don't actually know if that's what happened.

The wrap-up at the end, and the propeller advice were good though. I have NEVER had the max power issue but I think that is largely because I damaged my props on my second flight and swapped them out with some after-market props. Haven't had this issue EVER.

You're very wrong actually, the video isn't "speculation" and was produced in collaboration with the poor operator that lost the drone, he's been commenting and responding in the DJI Mavic group linked in the video description. He provided the recording directly from his DJI app, as well as the cached footage, so what you're seeing is the real scenario.

He didn't extract full logs unfortunately, but still the uncontrolled descent really can't be explained by anything, but from the way in which the aircraft successfully flew downwind, it's quite clear that the issues were encountered only upon rotating 180 degrees to return, then into wind.

Regardless, DroningON is fighting to help this individual, so far DJI has responded that this is operator error and offered just a 15% discount on a new one, I hope that the story has a better ending.
2020-2-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sergeant Posted at 2-26 06:39
You're very wrong actually, the video isn't "speculation" and was produced in collaboration with the poor operator that lost the drone, he's been commenting and responding in the DJI Mavic group linked in the video description. He provided the recording directly from his DJI app, as well as the cached footage, so what you're seeing is the real scenario.

He didn't extract full logs unfortunately, but still the uncontrolled descent really can't be explained by anything, but from the way in which the aircraft successfully flew downwind, it's quite clear that the issues were encountered only upon rotating 180 degrees to return, then into wind.

The wind thing I’m to sure of, I’ve just watched something very similar in the desert No Wind and result is very similar involuntary descent. Again thanks for highlighting and djis absent in all of this is now becoming pretty negligent here.

Maybe moderator like dji Mindy can throw some light on this situation.
2020-2-26
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

He didn't extract full logs unfortunately, but still the uncontrolled descent really can't be explained by anything, but from the way in which the aircraft successfully flew downwind, it's quite clear that the issues were encountered only upon rotating 180 degrees to return, then into wind.

The fact that he is fighting the good fight for this poor drone owner does not mean that he is not speculating.

Sorry but he presents very little in the way of evidence and a whole lot in the way of theories, back up by manufactured graphics, not screenshots.

This is the first time I've seen a video from this person so I'm not passing judgement on his in particular, just this video.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-26
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Cal Evans Posted at 2-26 07:10
The fact that he is fighting the good fight for this poor drone owner does not mean that he is not speculating.

Sorry but he presents very little in the way of evidence and a whole lot in the way of theories, back up by manufactured graphics, not screenshots.
There are no simulated graphics, it's a replay of the flight from the app directly, recorded via screen recorder.
2020-2-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sergeant Posted at 2-26 10:50
There are no simulated graphics, it's a replay of the flight from the app directly, recorded via screen recorder.

There must be flight logs somewhere .
2020-2-27
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-26 07:22
There is no way to determine what happened from a video.  Why can't he provide the log from his device?  That is the only way to determine exactly what occurred.

In my opinion, the primary cause for the loss was beginning a flight with only 42% battery.  Unless this was a relaunch from a continuous, uninterrupted flight, the actual charge level may have been much less.  Battery level is an estimate based only on voltage.  Voltage in a depleted battery recovers after a flight ends & the pack cools, but as soon as a load is applied it can quickly sag & fall off.   This leads to false readings & is why it is recommended to start out with a fully charged pack.

If the Mini forced landed because the battery level got too low, shouldn’t this low batt status be visible in the app? I could get behind the battery scenario if the app would show the battery level suddenly dropping, but forced landing while the battery level is still in the green doesn’t really support your hypothesis.
I'm curious about DJI's "pilot error" response. What exactly did the pilot do wrong that triggered the forced landing? I'm not interested in the wind excuse, I would have no problem accepting pilot error if the Mini would have been blown away. But such a controlled and clearly intentional descent into the water while ignoring pilot input? This can only be a firmware bug or a serious emergency scenario that is not translated into any user error in the app. Neither of these are pilot error. And the very high number of virtually identical scenarios really make it all the worst for dji to keep blaming pilots instead of just providing a replacement and maintain their reputation.

Just a crazy thought: what if very high winds trick the Mini into thinking there's something wrong with its engines because it can't make any headway and that triggers an emergency landing?
2020-2-27
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Cal Evans Posted at 2-26 04:36

The wrap-up at the end, and the propeller advice were good though. I have NEVER had the max power issue but I think that is largely because I damaged my props on my second flight and swapped them out with some after-market props. Haven't had this issue EVER.

Your post mentions you swapped out your props for aftermarket? And no issues.  And they are cheap?

Which ones, How much?
2020-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

He didn't extract full logs unfortunately, but still the uncontrolled descent really can't be explained by anything, but from the way in which the aircraft successfully flew downwind, it's quite clear that the issues were encountered only upon rotating 180 degrees to return, then into wind.

He didn't extract full logs unfortunately, but still the uncontrolled  descent really can't be explained by anything, but from the way in which  the aircraft successfully flew downwind, it's quite clear that the  issues were encountered only upon rotating 180 degrees to return, then  into wind.
Without actual recorded flight data, most of the "analysis" is conjecture.
It's only with the facts provided by flight data that anything can be determined with any confidence.
Flight data is the most important thing whenever you want to analyse any flight incident.

That the issue happened at the time he turned back is just a coincidence.
Flying forward in still air is the same to your drone as flying into a headwind.

We've seen dozens of Minis come down with the uncommanded descent problem now.
It doesn't seem to have any correlation to wind direction or the whether the drone is flying or hovering.

2020-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 2-27 11:22
If the Mini forced landed because the battery level got too low, shouldn’t this low batt status be visible in the app? I could get behind the battery scenario if the app would show the battery level suddenly dropping, but forced landing while the battery level is still in the green doesn’t really support your hypothesis.
I'm curious about DJI's "pilot error" response. What exactly did the pilot do wrong that triggered the forced landing? I'm not interested in the wind excuse, I would have no problem accepting pilot error if the Mini would have been blown away. But such a controlled and clearly intentional descent into the water while ignoring pilot input? This can only be a firmware bug or a serious emergency scenario that is not translated into any user error in the app. Neither of these are pilot error. And the very high number of virtually identical scenarios really make it all the worst for dji to keep blaming pilots instead of just providing a replacement and maintain their reputation.

Just a crazy thought: what if very high winds trick the Mini into thinking there's something wrong with its engines because it can't make any headway and that triggers an emergency landing?
DJI drones are much too sophisticated for this to happen, and it would be very poor programming to let it happen.
They can be blown backwards by a strong wind until the battery runs down before autolanding.
In any case, the flight data would explain what happened and remove a lot of the mystery from this incident,
2020-2-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recently removed my custom emergency float from my mini. Perhaps I should reinstall it. I have been alternating use of two Minis, one with the float and another without. I really don't see any difference in performance.

I also would like to see the data from the phone's file
2020-2-27
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some people don't know the Mavic Mini is not a performance drone like the Spark.  But to understand this, you need to understand how motors work.  The Mini isn't designed to torque out otherwise it would be over the 250g limit.  If the 250g limit was 300g then we would be seeing nearly Zero problems.
2020-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2-27 18:03
Some people don't know the Mavic Mini is not a performance drone like the Spark.  But to understand this, you need to understand how motors work.  The Mini isn't designed to torque out otherwise it would be over the 250g limit.  If the 250g limit was 300g then we would be seeing nearly Zero problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZegYTqmV5HI

Some people don't know the Mavic Mini is not a performance drone like the Spark.  But to understand this, you need to understand how motors work.

Or you could just read the specs.

The Mini isn't designed to torque out otherwise it would be over the 250g limit.

Yet there are plenty of small racing drones that are much faster than many bigger drones.
2020-2-27
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-27 21:41
Some people don't know the Mavic Mini is not a performance drone like the Spark.  But to understand this, you need to understand how motors work.  
Or you could just read the specs.

It's $400.  Some people have tons of money and spend thousands on vacation w/o thinking twice but when it comes to tech, $400 is like $400k.  I'm just like, if you don't spend enough you risk losing it all.
2020-2-27
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-27 20:57
I don't know what hope the operator has of DJI covering this loss without providing the complete flight log of the incident?  It's all speculation without the log.

I'm confused, why wouldn't DJI have the log? Isn't the lack of the log here caused by the fact that the Fly app synced it with DJI's servers and removed it locally?
2020-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 2-28 00:56
I'm confused, why wouldn't DJI have the log? Isn't the lack of the log here caused by the fact that the Fly app synced it with DJI's servers and removed it locally?

why wouldn't DJI have the log? Isn't the lack of the log here caused by the fact that the Fly app synced it with DJI's servers and removed it locally?
The only way that DJI would have the flight data is if the drone flyer had synched his data.
Synching your flight data does not remove the data from your phone or tablet.
2020-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2-27 22:06
It's $400.  Some people have tons of money and spend thousands on vacation w/o thinking twice but when it comes to tech, $400 is like $400k.  I'm just like, if you don't spend enough you risk losing it all.

I'm just like, if you don't spend enough you risk losing it all.
Because the more your drone costs, the harder it is to lose???
2020-2-28
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Labroides Posted at 2-28 14:23
why wouldn't DJI have the log? Isn't the lack of the log here caused by the fact that the Fly app synced it with DJI's servers and removed it locally?
The only way that DJI would have the flight data is if the drone flyer had synched his data.
Synching your flight data does not remove the data from your phone or tablet.

I'm pretty sure I read multiple discussions saying the Fly app deletes local data after syncing to the DJI server.
2020-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 2-28 15:49
I'm pretty sure I read multiple discussions saying the Fly app deletes local data after syncing to the DJI server.

Don't be confused by forum noise.

You read people commenting about the .dat file.
But no-one has suggested that the .txt file is lost.
The .txt file is all that would be needed to investigate the incident being discussed here.

2020-2-28
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-28 14:24
I'm just like, if you don't spend enough you risk losing it all.
Because the more your drone costs, the harder it is to lose???

I'm just looking at, you need the minimum requirements to not lose it and other things.  Used to end up spending so much money into an RC nitro truck that kept busting (did not crash, the parts were garbage) instead of getting the right one that cost a bit more. : (

The same can be said with trying to modify your vehicle for more performance than getting a used one that is built 5x better.  Some parts just go together so nicely at the design but when you mod or use a weaker design, you may catch nearly everything but certain things, especially those you can't access will bust leaving you spending way way way way way more money, effort, and other things just trying to match the performance or worse.

The problem is not knowing it prior.  Of course, once people know they can take direct action.  This can go many different ways..  From what I've analyzed, and I mean everything I've seen up to date, everything is controlled but I still believe comparing is how to do a back to the future result, but in the real-world, it's not built this way or at least in Most areas.  The ultimate conversion is the afterlife in which, it's better to keep the stability in someway.  I believe tech can help enormously but the development just isn't there.  I can understand how vulnerabilities must exist but once you know, you just can't unknow.  Trust and ignorance are 2 very important things to make it in the world.  The drone field we are in is so far beyond normal that it's crazy to not be used and developed more often.  Under certain situations, it can easily mean the difference between life and death.  Another ultimate secret is if people died not knowing that certain things could avert a death but them making it into a better place but no one knows the afterlife.  The Kobe Bryant death resulted in many people being changed.  Kobe Bryant on Tiger Wood shoes.  Maria Sharapova retiring, etc.  As long as people know they are going to live if they keep doing something they've always been doing, they will do it.  But if they realize they may die they wouldn't.  The coronavirus is scaring a lot of people.  CSGO tournaments aren't going to happen, events have been cancelled, movie shooting have been put on hold, certain parts of China are a ghost town, Olympics may be cancelled.  Kim Jong Un and the top Middle Eastern people could die of the virus and it just started around 3 months ago.  Once grocery stores stop being stocked as drivers and companies are scared of dying, we are all going to feel it.  This is not even including the stocks going to $0.  To be honest, I'm excited as I've prepared for situations like these by analyzed deep.  Hopefully I can come up with solutions that are most viable when everyone else is lost and in a panic.

Imo, you just can't give plausible solutions unless you know more than most.  Most of which people don't bother relating things together as they feel it's apples and oranges or worse.  Like rocks to the human brain but there can still be a relation.  If the virus dies away, stocks go to $5M in 2050 then cool, but of course, not everyone is going to make it but there could be always those that do.  Sometimes, the past does not equal the future no matter how popular and believable the belief may be.
2020-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2-28 18:03
I'm just looking at, you need the minimum requirements to not lose it and other things.  Used to end up spending so much money into an RC nitro truck that kept busting (did not crash, the parts were garbage) instead of getting the right one that cost a bit more. : (

The same can be said with trying to modify your vehicle for more performance than getting a used one that is built 5x better.  Some parts just go together so nicely at the design but when you mod or use a weaker design, you may catch nearly everything but certain things, especially those you can't access will bust leaving you spending way way way way way more money, effort, and other things just trying to match the performance or worse.
Another ultimate secret is if people died not knowing that certain things could avert a death but them making it into a better place but no one knows the afterlife.  The Kobe Bryant death resulted in many people being changed.  Kobe Bryant on Tiger Wood shoes.  Maria Sharapova retiring, etc.  As long as people know they are going to live if they keep doing something they've always been doing, they will do it.  But if they realize they may die they wouldn't.
Yes ... you're back  ...  and babbling incoherently.
This has nothing to do with the topic of the thread and nothing to do with drones. (but that's nothing new).
You need a forum of your own.
2020-2-28
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules