Gimbal Motor Overload
2024 8 2020-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joaobraga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2493110 ft
Portugal

I have the phantom 4pro + v1. This is the 2 unit I have that is giving me problems with the gimbal. On days when the wind is not too strong, but the gimbal gives the error Gimbal Motor Overload quite often. There is no apparent reason for this to happen. I do the calibration, put in new propellers, but it keeps happening. And it always happens in the same positions. If you are doing a 360º to an object, the error always happens in the same place. It is strange, but I would like to know if the problem could be seen by your engineer, without having to send it for repair. In 90% of cases, the drone works perfectly.
2020-2-25
Use props
reymfoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1072949 ft
New Zealand

I have the same issue. What we don't see during an orbit or a 360deg maneuver is that the drone body tilts at angle and this maybe too steep depending on the head wind, forward speed, just to compensate for a straight camera horizon. When it the angle is too steep, it hits the limit of the camera horizon tilt, therefore it overloads it. I can do smooth high speed orbits without any overload on a not so windy day. I'm pretty sure other users out there experienced this in certain situations.
2020-2-25
Use props
joaobraga
lvl.2
Portugal

reymfoto Posted at 2-25 23:51
I have the same issue. What we don't see during an orbit or a 360deg maneuver is that the drone body tilts at angle and this maybe too steep depending on the head wind, forward speed, just to compensate for a straight camera horizon. When it the angle is too steep, it hits the limit of the camera horizon tilt, therefore it overloads it. I can do smooth high speed orbits without any overload on a not so windy day. I'm pretty sure other users out there experienced this in certain situations.

Yes it's true. My first Phantom pro 4 + (I already had phantom 1, 2 and the s900) was sent for warranty due to a gimbal error. I was on a paid job and just put the camera down completely, as I had done so many times before. He started to give the error of Gimbal overload, but did not recover again. I sent for warranty and they sent this new drone. I have been using it, but recently I have needed to use it more in winter time and with the point of interest function. I've been having a hard time getting the perfect 360º at times. Every 360 º I use 1 battery and I cannot always repeat it for the  time management and client management.
2020-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are you using filters?  
2020-2-26
Use props
joaobraga
lvl.2
Portugal

Yes. The ND filter, but is the original from dji.
2020-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

joaobraga Posted at 2-26 03:41
Yes. The ND filter, but is the original from dji.

That's the way.  ;-)  

You might try going into the app and resetting the gimbal settings to default if you have problems with the gimbal.

As far as the 360 thing, all I can suggest is calm days, a perfect compass, and lots of satellites.  

Good luck
2020-2-26
Use props
joaobraga
lvl.2
Portugal

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-26 07:47
That's the way.  ;-)  

You might try going into the app and resetting the gimbal settings to default if you have problems with the gimbal.

I've done all the operations I thought possible. I downgraded and upgraded off the firmware. I did the same procedure with the app and command. I have already reset the setttings and added new propellers. The only way that drone behaves better is doing the 360º counterclockwise. It is not a common situation and it is a problem with the device. I have Care Refresh active and I can send it, but I think that sending another drone like that will not solve the problem, because I suspect it is a construction defect
2020-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

It's a pretty complex operation.  Maybe flying slower would help - but then you have the battery problem.  You could mod a battery to allow a longer slower flight.  
2020-2-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. We don't have the option for our engineers to check out the said issue without sending the unit to us since we can only figure out the issue if we have it on our facility to perform the damaged assessment. Hope this helps. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2020-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules