XT2 Thermal Settings for Cold, Sunny Day
1156 3 2020-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HE-LLC
lvl.1
United States

Hello,

I was studying wildlife several days ago in the mountains. It was about 25°F (very cold), yet it was also very sunny. The XT2 was set to use Isotherm based on "Search for People", which is a detection range from about 80°F to 105°F.  

Well, the display was showing many hotpots from the XT2 that should not be showing -- in other words, a lot of false positives.  I would select the hotspot and the temperature registered at about 50°F , yet the Isotherm highlighted this object.   Basically, there was a lot of noise (hotspots) that the XT2 should not have been showing. It was a very frustrating experience.

So, can someone help dial in the best settings for a cold, sunny day like this to isolate wildlife using the Isotherm feature and not get false positives (heat signatures) all over the display?

Thanks.

2020-2-26
Use props
HE-LLC
lvl.1
United States

Bump.

Anyone?
2020-2-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you need to go to a thermal certification school to get all you need to know.  I thought the XT2 is way better than the XT1 V2 but only during a bright sunny day where you have MSX in full feature.  At night, the XT1 V2 performs the same if not better as someone was showing extreme cold spots on the right.

Some of the videos we see where it works great are when everything has been ironed out under optimal conditions.  Of course, no one wants to buy something when it looks like the way it looks when it doesn't seem to work.  Some products do look as good as they showcase them to be under nearly all conditions but this pattern doesn't work in all areas of life.

If you know what to look for, it makes sense to data collect but just for fun, it doesn't seem worth it unless you have tons of money and have no idea what to do with it then the only problem is the hassle of setting it up and packing besides the fact of it possibly causing catastrophic amounts of damage depending on what it hits when it fails.  Some people make things look super easy.  If the XT design is cold, it will rub off onto the lens, basically and probably the same as when it's hot.  If you want a better all around thermal design.. then it would cost way way more.  It's like, not super entry but entry-level of the real enterprise equipment.
2020-2-29
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 2-29 22:46
I think you need to go to a thermal certification school to get all you need to know.  I thought the XT2 is way better than the XT1 V2 but only during a bright sunny day where you have MSX in full feature.  At night, the XT1 V2 performs the same if not better as someone was showing extreme cold spots on the right.

Some of the videos we see where it works great are when everything has been ironed out under optimal conditions.  Of course, no one wants to buy something when it looks like the way it looks when it doesn't seem to work.  Some products do look as good as they showcase them to be under nearly all conditions but this pattern doesn't work in all areas of life.

Word of wisdom. Soooo glad you're unbanned.
2020-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules