Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" (32GB)
7049 29 2020-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tasos GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15852192 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Does anyone use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" (32GB) with DJI Fly app? is it compatible?Thank you
2020-2-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. As of the moment, the Samsung Galaxy Tab A is currently not compatible with the DJI Fly application also other tablets are not listed on our recommended mobile device. You may refer to the image below for the recommended mobile device that we already tested for the said application. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support!

2020-2-27
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Yes I have it but its 32 bit android and rhe DJI FLY is 64bit app so it does not work
2020-2-27
Use props
Tasos GR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

Niknik Posted at 2-27 09:01
Yes I have it but its 32 bit android and rhe DJI FLY is 64bit app so it does not work

I see.. thank you so much for your reply!
2020-2-27
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

There is many versions so better refer to the tabA by the product number
SM-T290 is working fine with the DJI Fly app and you can get it dirt cheap, on the other hand  more expensive SM-T380 Does NOT work.

2020-2-27
Use props
Tasos GR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

lifeisfun Posted at 2-27 11:43
There is many versions so better refer to the tabA by the product number
SM-T290 is working fine with the DJI Fly app and you can get it dirt cheap, on the other hand  more expensive SM-T380 Does NOT work.

Oh thats great.. yes, I meant T290.. so it is ok .. thank you!
2020-2-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, thank you. I was wondering if I might be able to use a relatively cheap tablet like this one. I just ordered one and will try to report back with my experience with it.
2020-2-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tasos GR Posted at 2-27 13:15

Beware that information may be wrong. I just received my SM- T290 and it will not load the DJI FLY app. Does anyone know if it can be installed manually?

Nevermind. I found the apk, installed it and it looks to be working. I will report back with more results later.

Brief checkout in my front yard ;-) Everything good so far.

2020-3-3
Use props
Tasos GR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Greece

GaryDoug Posted at 3-3 12:38
Beware that information may be wrong. I just received my SM- T290 and it will not load the DJI FLY app. Does anyone know if it can be installed manually?

Nevermind. I found the apk, installed it and it looks to be working. I will report back with more results later.

Great !! Looking forward for your opinion!
2020-3-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tasos GR Posted at 3-3 13:14
Great !! Looking forward for your opinion!

It' is too big to fit in the RC clamps because it is an 8" tab. So I used a vertical mount adapter. It works well but I want the cable out of the way entirely so I will look for a longer cable.

It is far brighter in direct sunlight than the Samsung Galaxy S6 that I was using first. Actually it was good even before I realized I had not set up the screen brightness to the maximum manual setting. The photo shows the screen in auto brightness, not manual.

p.s. My T290 cost was $99 in an "open-box" deal on eBay.

SM-T290 and mount.jpg
SM-T290 and mount side view.jpg
2020-3-3
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

yes indeed - works like a charm.
2020-3-3
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

yes indeed - works like a charm.
2020-3-3
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

Yes, in addition to the particular configuration idiosyncracies (must have a non-Intel processor), you need a holder and a longer cable.  And the cable is directional. Got to plug it in with the right plug in the RC vs the tablet.  Also recommend using a sun screen, and remember to set the brightness up and not on auto dim.  Also, the "back" button disappears when the Fly app is active, but you can get it back by swiping from the bottom (I think that is it - maybe also tapping near the bottom).  This might be due to the different version of Android that I am not used to.
2020-3-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

^^^^^ Everything  John posted above is true.

Edit much later in November: This tablet has no compass function so the orientation display in the Fly app will not work. I used this tablet for months before I noticed it....doh!!!

2020-3-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

My setup with the new right angle longer cable:
1ft cable to T290.jpg
2020-3-6
Use props
ancient of days
New

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-6 10:15

I am a complete newbie and am looking for a tablet running 64 bit Android.
This appears to be a good option.
I have the same PGYTECH tablet mount.
Where do you get the longer cable such as this one and how much?
I like the idea of the right angle connectors.
2020-3-7
Use props
ancient of days
New

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-6 10:15

Where do you get the longer cable such as this one and how much?
I like the idea of the right angle connectors.
2020-3-7
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ancient of days Posted at 3-7 07:43

1 ft cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 7_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cable is a bit tight to wrap around the mount's post. You could just tape it down instead.

2020-3-7
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

I found an OTR cable without right angle connectors, but it was for my goggles (for spark) - but point is they are available.  I also recommend using a protective case for the tablet.  Just in case it pops out of the holder.  My hold does not grip with absolute certaintly (to say the least).
2020-3-7
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 3-7 11:29
I found an OTR cable without right angle connectors, but it was for my goggles (for spark) - but point is they are available.  I also recommend using a protective case for the tablet.  Just in case it pops out of the holder.  My hold does not grip with absolute certaintly (to say the least).

I prefer the right angle connectors to keep them from sticking out in the way.

As for the loose holder clamp, I modified mine to increase the spring tension on the tablet. Details may be different for another type of holder.
1. Remove the clamp from the holder by unscrewing the ball collar.
2. Remove the small screw in the center of the ball socket.
3. Pry up gently on the front cover plate while bending the cover out and pull it out of the clamp body. Try to avoid breaking the 2 tabs at the ends.
4. Remove the slider assembly from the body.
5. Compress one spring to about 2/3 length and clamp it there.
6. Place a short length (3/4") of shrink tubing over the open end of the rod as shown in the photos and apply heat to shrink it.  Apply a second layer of tubing. A third layer may be applied. I just did 2. Allow the tubing to cool and then remove the clamp holding the spring.
7. Repeat the steps 5 and 6 above for the other spring and rod.
8. Reinstall the slider assembly into the holder body.
9. Reinstall the cover plate and center screw.

The holder now can not be expanded as far as before. Remove the tubing if that is later needed.
increase spring tension.jpg
2020-3-7
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Costco has this tablet on sale right now for $89.99.  I have one on order.
I already use a table holder with my phone, but I also ordered the 1 foot cable based on Gary's recommendation (naturally my phone uses a different cable - USB-C).

2020-11-21
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
United States

Well, I received my T290 today and got it updated.  Loaded the APK file for version 1.2.1 and went out to fly.  Problem.  No video.  As far as I could tell, it was working except a black screen.  I am going to guess some permissions issue I did not find yet.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I will report back if I figure it out.
2020-11-29
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

K6CCC Posted at 11-29 17:32
Well, I received my T290 today and got it updated.  Loaded the APK file for version 1.2.1 and went out to fly.  Problem.  No video.  As far as I could tell, it was working except a black screen.  I am going to guess some permissions issue I did not find yet.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I will report back if I figure it out.

I have a recommendation...return it. I have warned folks about this for months, unfortunately not in this topic which was about the time I bought my SM-T290. It worked ok with the Mini and still use it for that model only because it is too slow for the Mini 2 or MA2. Although mine works fairly well on the Mini with 1.2.1, it does NOT have a magnetic sensor needed to implement the compass function.

For the record, I turned off the video caching and use a screen recorder instead. I also removed any unneeded apps that came with it and run in the background.

I used it a few days ago to run an abreviated Mini range test, two flights of about 5 miles each. No problems with the tablet...except no compass and orientation display of course. The map display is ok.

Personally, I now prefer this type which I bought used for $90 to be used for the Mini 2 and MA2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fair-AS ... :g:RYIAAOSwydZb-BxC

2020-11-29
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Gary for the update.  I will take that under advisement.  I saw JohnK's comment a while back that the cable is directional.  I observed that too.  One direction, no connection at all, and the other it worked (sometimes), but never got any video - just black.  Although too short to use, I tried the original DJI cable and had the same result - it connected just fine to the RC, and then to the Mini, but black video.
2020-11-29
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
United States

Good news!  The Tab A did an OS update, and just for grins, I tried it with the Mini again, and it promptly worked and got video.  I have not taken it out to fly, but I will give that a try...

Gary, I am not ignoring your recommendation - it is still under advisement.

Heck, I may keep it as a tablet even if I end up using something else for flying.  We'll see...
2020-11-30
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
United States

I did two flights Wednesday evening with the Galaxy Tab A and my Mini.  It worked just fine.  The only issue I had was that apparently the USB cable was not all that secure and the Tab A lost connection to the controller once on the second flight.  Conveniently, the Mini was only about 40 feet from me at the time, and because for that flight I had mounted the strobes, so I had NO trouble seeing it!
It was a somewhat unique flight in that I was never more than 100 feet away, never more than about 60 feet up, and never going over 10 miles per hour.  I had bought the drone in part for shooting video of my music synchronized Christmas light show.  The purpose of these two flights was primarily to explore different camera angles and movements, and camera settings that I can use for shooting video of the lights.  It also gave me some video as a source to learn how to synchronize the video and audio files in my fairly new to me video editing software.  One thing  learned on the first flight is that because of trees on three sides of the yard, and a 25 foot flagpole in the middle, I have to be VERY careful moving around, and watch the drone very carefully (hence eh reason that I mounted the strobes for the second flight).  Because it was dark, the drone could only use GPS for station keeping, and it did more around some.  Not a big deal in an open area, but when hovering three feet from a flagpole, it require constant attention.

2020-12-4
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

K6CCC Posted at 11-30 21:32
Good news!  The Tab A did an OS update, and just for grins, I tried it with the Mini again, and it promptly worked and got video.  I have not taken it out to fly, but I will give that a try...

Gary, I am not ignoring your recommendation - it is still under advisement.

The reason I mentioned that missing compass sensor is that there are better used tablets available for the same money that have that sensor and also are fast enough to handle the faster MA2 and Mini 2. So if you decide to get one of those, you will have to get another tablet. If I had it to do over again, I would not buy the Tab A.
2020-12-4
Use props
HOMESLICE
New

United States

Tasos GR Posted at 2020-2-27 13:15

how do you get it it to work? is it my cable? do i not have the right one ? it is 6.0 version
2022-1-19
Use props
HOMESLICE
New

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 2020-3-6 10:15

what cable is that?
2022-1-19
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HOMESLICE Posted at 1-19 20:43
what cable is that?

Wow, my 2 year old post. I did look it up and here it is but I see Amazon no longer offers it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 4_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one might work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 4_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Samsung Tab A T290 is a poor choice for the Mini. Yes it will work but it has no compass capability. You can still fly just fine but you will have no directional display in the app.

2022-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules