mapbox not detailed enough
4235 7 2020-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5c477a3a
lvl.1

Suriname

Hi every one !
I am using a phantom 4 rtk in combination with the D RTK 2 base station.
The problem i encounter is when planning flight for mapping purposes i use satelite view from mapbox (no other option like google maps).
The satelite view is bvery blurry when zooming in to get a good enough view for planning.
My question is there a possibility to get google maps on the gs rtk rc....or is it possible to get better qualty view for mapbox.
I have the latest firmware updates on the equipment.
My location is Suriname South America.

Best regards and hoping for a fast solution !

Brian.
2020-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The problem is that Google charge to use their mapping services, and it is not the user they charge, but the developer. And to make it even more difficult, you are charge per-view for use of the maps. This means that DJI have to pay for use of the maps, this is probably why they use a mapping API from a cheaper provider. So the answer to your question is probably no, because DJI don't want to pay the fees.
2020-2-27
Use props
fans5c477a3a
lvl.1

Suriname

Geebax Posted at 2-27 16:51
The problem is that Google charge to use their mapping services, and it is not the user they charge, but the developer. And to make it even more difficult, you are charge per-view for use of the maps. This means that DJI have to pay for use of the maps, this is probably why they use a mapping API from a cheaper provider. So the answer to your question is probably no, because DJI don't want to pay the fees.

Thanx for your reaction Geebax !
Is their maybe some other way to work around it like creating your own map in google earth and using it as an offline map.....etc ...etc..?
2020-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans5c477a3a Posted at 2-27 20:11
Thanx for your reaction Geebax !
Is their maybe some other way to work around it like creating your own map in google earth and using it as an offline map.....etc ...etc..?

I don't think so, it has to be integrated into the app itself.
2020-2-27
Use props
guillermomeiner
Second Officer

Argentina

would be great if you can use custom mapbox service, considering that you can create your own maps in mapbox (you can upload shapes, kml, geo tiff, ect)
2020-2-28
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

The app should allow import of custom maps in geotiff or other formats, like it does for DEMs needed for terrain-aware flight. Aside from the (minimal) dev time to implement, wouldn't cost DJI a yuan...
User-supplied maps don't need an internet connection either.
2020-2-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This probably won't help, but... I have a live tracker on my drones, and while mapbox doesn't show much, if I go to my tracker app, it uses google maps.  So I can see where the drone is on the google map that way.  However, I can only get glimpses because it will only update three times a minute if I'm lucky.  

Good luck
2020-2-28
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-28 11:36
This probably won't help, but... I have a live tracker on my drones, and while mapbox doesn't show much, if I go to my tracker app, it uses google maps.  So I can see where the drone is on the google map that way.  However, I can only get glimpses because it will only update three times a minute if I'm lucky.  

Good luck

You're right...Not real useful for mission planning or realtime tracking for anything but locating a lost drone.
2020-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules